ADVERTISEMENT

IU to get an engineering program

"Both groups have strongly endorsed creation of a program that would be housed within the School of Informatics and Computing and that would have close ties to other scientific disciplines on the campus.

The initial plans for the program include the creation of bachelor's and doctoral programs, with a master's degree track to follow closely after the initial launch. The proposal by the IU task force, chaired by School of Informatics and Computing Dean Bobby Schnabel, is for the department to comprise about 20 faculty members."

------------------------------------------------
I know they've got to start somewhere, but this isn't going to be much of an Engineering program. It's more of an IT major with a fancier Engineering name - very specific. Also, with 20 faculty members, the scope and scale of this department will be very limited. Engineering schools are pretty resource-intensive (labs, fancy equipment, etc.), where will IU get the $$$ for this?

Why would I expect any different? It's IU, after all.

The next question is what will Purdue be allowed to add? Law school? Medical school?

Purdue certainly would not add a law school. That would he absurd and irresponsible given the huge drop in law school enrollment nationwide.

I hope you realize IU has a long history of engineering and development.

Originally posted by Grandpa Hoosier:
Link
After all, the first toilet seat was designed at the IU Blowmington campus.

Of course, after the first public display of their invention a Purdue engineer explained that they needed to drill a hole in it...

Re: I hope you realize IU has a long history of engineering and development.

LOL!

That might be your best post ever!

I tend to agree but

The only reason I could see it is anymore, it seems a law degree with some type of engineering, science, or medical background is still really pretty valuable.

I think if it was tied in to get an advanced accelerated degree with some type of engineering/science undergrad it could work.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of engineering/science/pharm/tech students go on to get a law degree. If it is a significant amount then maybe pursue it.

I would prefer medicine though.

Re: I tend to agree but

There are quite a few engineering/science majors that go on to law school (myself included). On the other hand, it's still a very small percentage that do it.

There are also plenty of law schools that have specialized programs in intellectual property (the typical career path for an engineer/science major going to law school). The fact that many of these schools also have decent engineering/science undergrad programs, however, is not at all relevant to their law school program. There's just no overlap. In fact, even in the intellectual property field it's the big name, highly regarded law schools (Michigan, Harvard, etc.) that get students A LOT more attention than the schools with specialized programs.

Also, apart from the biotech area (and possibly chemistry), an advanced degree in engineering or science really doesn't do all that much for an IP attorney. For most people, it's a waste of their time if they really want to be a patent attorney. Get a BS degree from a good school like Purdue, then go get your law degree from the best law school you can get into (and afford)--or, from a decent law school, but you better finish in the top 10-15% of your class.

LOL that's pretty good...reminds of the show "The Last Man on Earth"

not to hijack this thread, but I will....

The show started off really slowly the first episode--kind of how the movie Castaway got old real quick.

But, since then it's been hilarious.

And why did your story remind me of the show? Because he cut a hole in the middle of the diving board at the house next door to where he is living so that the swimming pool became his toilet!

I'm hopeful for the show

I like the two main leads...but I wonder if they can sustain things. It's quirky right now, but it feels like it's going to get real conventional, real quick.

I'm not sure if there's any stated reason ever given, but I always thought it was a bit odd Purdue did not have a med program. Not that it needs to be large, but considering the science/research dollars going to Purdue, you think it'd be attractive to have a med program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT