ADVERTISEMENT

Is this how Purdue athletes attend classes too?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
This article says that Deion Sanders's son has not attended an in person class in over a year. I understand in years 2020 and 2021 with COVID how that would be applicable, but is that how it works for Purdue athletes, or just regular students, too?

They can choose to go to in person or they can do everything online and never attend a physical class?

• Sad
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
This article says that Deion Sanders's son has not attended an in person class in over a year. I understand in years 2020 and 2021 with COVID how that would be applicable, but is that how it works for Purdue athletes, or just regular students, too?

They can choose to go to in person or they can do everything online and never attend a physical class?

My guess would be mostly yes, I know Caitlyn Clark did all of hers online.

As long as test taking and paper writing is secured there is nothing wrong with it!

Unfortunately many scam the systems in paper writing and if the tests are not required to be taken in person who knows who actually does the work or is helped by someone off camera. Many SAT's and AP tests were fraudulent during COVID.

I attend classes at Purdue in 1974-1979. There were three starting basketball players in my psych class. I saw them the first day of class and at the final. I took two of my calculus classes self paced. I never saw an instructor for my calculus classes. That was over 50 years ago. 30 years ago I took an Econ class where the professor filmed his lectures and you watched the film and did your work at your leisure. I imagine the same has taken place the last 50 years. Phoenix University was built on students taking courses online. Taking courses online has been in place long before Covid and zoom.

Reactions: rrdd2021
For football players online course work is normal if available. During football season the student may only have 6 credit hours of class and then take another 9 over the summer. I suspect the same for basketball players. In some majors (engineering) it is not often possible to take a full load of online classes beyond the introductory course work. Having said that it is not uncommon for any student to "attend" online either in real time or by watching recorded lectures for classes that are in officially in person.

Reactions: pboiler18
I was a TA for ag lectures the fall of 79. I had a basketball player in one of the classes. Talked to him about if he had a road game and needed to miss class let me know. He made every class. Missing a class lowered your grade one step so he had to be in attendance

From what I can tell, most D1 athletes take the bare minimum they can get away with. For most, it's their only option. The time demands placed on them is insane.

A few years ago I interviewed a guy that was a T&F athlete at Illinois University, who somehow majored in Computer Science. Having been a CS major myself I was intrigued that anyone could be a CS major and a D1 athlete.

When I looked at his course load, and also by what he could talk about in the interview, I realized he had the equivalent of about a 2-year degree. However, we took a chance on him because we figured there has to be a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills that many non-athletes don't have. We knew he'd be a "project" and way behind his peers. This was indeed the case. But, nice kid and hard-worker.

A lot depends on how much the player wants to play in the pros and how much the player just wants to use his athletic scholarship to pay for his degree.

However, you are seeing more universities offering more self paced , online classes.

I was coded as an athlete-friendly professor when I taught at Georgia Tech and had several players (including one former NBA player and the starting QB at the time). I can state pretty confidently that they were doing their own work. Back then, they were taking in-person classes and showed up every day possible, including after red eyes back from the Maui Invitational. I also had a lot of Olympic athletes, all of whom worked incredibly hard in the classroom, often in very challenging majors.

I no longer teach at a D1 school, but I now teach a lot online and have a few athletes every semester. I'm guessing that is pretty common now at D1 schools as well. It allows for much greater flexibility with travel schedules, although it probably wouldn't be possible for athletes in certain majors that require in-person work (I'm thinking of someone like Caleb Furst who plans, IIRC, to go to medial school).

I once took a ms word course at a jr college just for fun. It was actually a 3 credit class. The entire Oklahoma baseball team was in that class. They attended every class and all did their own work. Although at a jr college or just a d2 or d3 college, they said the course credits would transfer back to Oklahoma.

I was impressed by the attendance and work habits of the players.

Later in life, I taught MS office at a junior college. I was once again impressed with the work habits of the baseball players taking the course. The basketball players were ok. They were more concerned about their grade than learning. The female basketball players were terrible.

The college soon made the course online.

A lot depends on how much the player wants to play in the pros and how much the player just wants to use his athletic scholarship to pay for his degree.

However, you are seeing more universities offering more self paced , online classes.
It would be interesting to poll athletes coming into P5 hoops and football programs and as freshman, ask what % actually believe they have a shot at the pros. Then continue to issue that same poll to the same players every year and see how the % change.
Obviously there are playing coming into a program that probably have an 80% or better of actually going pro after 1-2 years, but if a player doesn't leave early and they're a 4 year player, at what point do they realize being a pro-athlete isn't in their future?

It would be interesting to poll athletes coming into P5 hoops and football programs and as freshman, ask what % actually believe they have a shot at the pros. Then continue to issue that same poll to the same players every year and see how the % change.
Obviously there are playing coming into a program that probably have an 80% or better of actually going pro after 1-2 years, but if a player doesn't leave early and they're a 4 year player, at what point do they realize being a pro-athlete isn't in their future?
It’s a hard day when the player finally realizes his dreams of going pro are not going to happen. Even if they make it to the pros, the average pro career only lasts 3-4 years.

I was coded as an athlete-friendly professor when I taught at Georgia Tech and had several players (including one former NBA player and the starting QB at the time). I can state pretty confidently that they were doing their own work. Back then, they were taking in-person classes and showed up every day possible, including after red eyes back from the Maui Invitational. I also had a lot of Olympic athletes, all of whom worked incredibly hard in the classroom, often in very challenging majors.

I no longer teach at a D1 school, but I now teach a lot online and have a few athletes every semester. I'm guessing that is pretty common now at D1 schools as well. It allows for much greater flexibility with travel schedules, although it probably wouldn't be possible for athletes in certain majors that require in-person work (I'm thinking of someone like Caleb Furst who plans, IIRC, to go to medial school).
My daughter had a class with Caleb last year. He attended in person, very regularly.

I once took a ms word course at a jr college just for fun. It was actually a 3 credit class. The entire Oklahoma baseball team was in that class. They attended every class and all did their own work. Although at a jr college or just a d2 or d3 college, they said the course credits would transfer back to Oklahoma.

I was impressed by the attendance and work habits of the players.

Later in life, I taught MS office at a junior college. I was once again impressed with the work habits of the baseball players taking the course. The basketball players were ok. They were more concerned about their grade than learning. The female basketball players were terrible.

The college soon made the course online.

Scuse me!? A 3 credit class in Word?

Reminds me of the IU joke. How many IU football players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One . . . . . but he gets 3 hours credit.

Scuse me!? A 3 credit class in Word?

Reminds me of the IU joke. How many IU football players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One . . . . . but he gets 3 hours credit.
It may have only been a 1 credit course. I only took it as a continuing education course to improve my knowledge of ms word. I believe they also had 1 credit courses in PowerPoint, excel and access as well. At the time the Air Force was changing their use of Word Perfect, Harvard Graphics and lotus 1-2-3 to the ms office programs. It was taught at one of those colleges that doesn’t have a campus and just uses rooms it can find somewhere like Webster College and all those other diploma mills where if you pay for the class you get a C or better. But the credits transferred and the entire Oklahoma baseball team attended. I think their coach or assistant coach also attended and took attendance of his players.

The college offered a lot of courses to the community as continuing education. You really didn’t have to be a registered student or declare a major. I doubt their courses. Would transfer to Purdue but Oklahoma accepted them.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
The University of Phoenix has no real campus but it does have a very nice football stadium.

Several years ago didn’t Purdue either merge with or buy out a college that was known for its online degree offerings? And Purdue’s intent was to use that college’s online platform to increase Purdue’s online course offerings?

With zoom capability and access, no public school should ever have to have another snow day. They could just zoom their lessons.

A funny thing, even though the technology exists, most schools still have snow days because teachers want the day off.

With zoom capability and access, no public school should ever have to have another snow day. They could just zoom their lessons.

A funny thing, even though the technology exists, most schools still have snow days because teachers want the day off.
Having a lot of experience with K-12 students, I can honestly say this would be a logistical nightmare. Even if students have access, they often don't live in situations that are conducive to learning. Teachers also do a lot more than teach Often we are the first set of eyes and ears for seeing students who are struggling socially or emotionally. You can't necessarily see that on Zoom, especially if the kids don't log on or don't use their cameras.

Also, either way, we have to work for 180 days. I'd rather get them done when it's cold than when it's warm.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Having a lot of experience with K-12 students, I can honestly say this would be a logistical nightmare. Even if students have access, they often don't live in situations that are conducive to learning. Teachers also do a lot more than teach Often we are the first set of eyes and ears for seeing students who are struggling socially or emotionally. You can't necessarily see that on Zoom, especially if the kids don't log on or don't use their cameras.

Also, either way, we have to work for 180 days. I'd rather get them done when it's cold than when it's warm.
I disagree and am also a teacher. I’m not talking about an entire school year. I’m talking about a snow day! It’s very easy to accomplish for colleges. And it’s not very hard for a k-12 teacher to accomplish for 1-2 days. As for conducive to learning, a lot of real schools are not very conducive to learning! Not every school system is as good as West Lafayette where the students want to learn! That’s why so many parents now home school their kids or want them to attend private schools.

Not at my little boy country school, Wole. If it isn't an eLearning day, it is Virtual.

I disagree and am also a teacher. I’m not talking about an entire school year. I’m talking about a snow day! It’s very easy to accomplish for colleges. And it’s not very hard for a k-12 teacher to accomplish for 1-2 days. As for conducive to learning, a lot of real schools are not very conducive to learning! Not every school system is as good as West Lafayette where the students want to learn! That’s why so many parents now home school their kids or want them to attend private schools.

That's why so many parents now homeschool their kids or want them to attend private schools.

Ah, those Fox News watching, union hating Republicans, eh Wole?

That's why so many parents now homeschool their kids or want them to attend private schools.

Ah, those Fox News watching, union hating Republicans, eh Wole?
You forgot rich and elite! I suggest you move to Hammond or Gary or maybe little Paoli or Spenser, IN and send your children to their public schools and report back to me in a year and inform me how conducive their public schools are to learning.

I’m quite certain they have drastically improved the education they offer!

As I said, with our current ability to learn online, no school should ever need to cancel school because of snow. Sure, it’s a pain for teachers. But they and their students can handle it.

And to be honest, for some students it really doesn’t matter. I once taught an 18 year old student at Spenser. This was in 8th grade. He drove his car to our junior high. He smoked a pack a day. He did zero class work. He had no intention of learning. But at least he wasn’t disruptive! Spenser sure was different than teaching in West Lafayette.

E-learning was a complete waste. My kids were done with their assigned coursework for the day in an hour, and so were all their friends. They just got together and hung out around noon every day.

My highschooler recently told me about a paper he was writing. The topic was “should kids get mental health days.” I didn’t have much of an opinion on that, but it did strike me as an odd topic for him to come up with and I was suspicious how he arrived at that topic. When I asked him if students were allowed to choose their own topic or if that was assigned to him, here’s what he said: no, we chose our own topics, but the teacher said mine wasn’t good and gave me this one instead. (Note that that approach allows teachers to teach their students anything they want without leaving a paper trail on the syllabus or course site, giving them plausible deniability if confronted about indoctrination).

I looked into it, and found that mental health days are a point the teachers unions are pushing because they want mental health days for themselves and are getting the kids to do their bidding. I asked my son what he really thought about it, and he said “probably kids will just use it to skip school”. I used that as a learning opportunity to talk about how sometimes it’s more important to play the game and make sure you write your paper the way the teacher wants you to, regardless of your personal beliefs. He’s got an activist teacher, so that’s what has to happen to get an A. It’s not a lesson I wanted to teach, but one I was forced to. To my surprise, he was more aware of the situation than I expected. He says there are entire memes being traded among students about teachers that want them to write papers on their personal opinions against the students’ will.

It gives me hope that as long as we raise our kids right, they’ll see through the BS. I’d also now call more awareness to this for any parents with kids in middle school or high school who are a bit naive like I was. If you’re not already doing it, check all the topics that your kids are writing about and ask them where they came up with those ideas. I don’t believe this is the first time it’s happened, and I believe it’s happening more frequently everywhere now.

Last edited:
E-learning was a complete waste. My kids were done with their assigned coursework for the day in an hour, and so were all their friends. They just got together and hung out around noon every day.

My highschooler recently told me about a paper he was writing. The topic was “should kids get mental health days.” I didn’t have much of an opinion on that, but it did strike me as an odd topic for him to come up with and I was suspicious how he arrived at that topic. When I asked him if students were allowed to choose their own topic or if that was assigned to him, here’s what he said: no, we chose our own topics, but the teacher said mine wasn’t good and gave me this one instead. (Note that that approach allows teachers to teach their students anything they want without leaving a paper trail on the syllabus or course site, giving them plausible deniability if confronted about indoctrination).

I looked into it, and found that mental health days are a point the teachers unions are pushing because they want mental health days for themselves and are getting the kids to do their bidding. I asked my son what he really thought about it, and he said “probably kids will just use it to skip school”. I used that as a learning opportunity to talk about how sometimes it’s more important to play the game and make sure you write your paper the way the teacher wants you to, regardless of your personal beliefs. He’s got an activist teacher, so that’s what has to happen to get an A. It’s not a lesson I wanted to teach, but one I was forced to. To my surprise, he was more aware of the situation than I expected. He says there are entire memes being traded among students about teachers that want them to write papers on their personal opinions against the students’ will.

It gives me hope that as long as we raise our kids right, they’ll see through the BS. I’d also now call more awareness to this for any parents with kids in middle school or high school who are a bit naive like I was. If you’re not already doing it, check all the topics that your kids are writing about and ask them where they came up with those ideas. I don’t believe this is the first time it’s happened, and I believe it’s happening more frequently everywhere now.
Outside of Math and the hard Sciences, one can argue that the other Public School courses are unnecessary; i.e. at the discretion of the instructor.

You forgot rich and elite! I suggest you move to Hammond or Gary or maybe little Paoli or Spenser, IN and send your children to their public schools and report back to me in a year and inform me how conducive their public schools are to learning.

I’m quite certain they have drastically improved the education they offer!

As I said, with our current ability to learn online, no school should ever need to cancel school because of snow. Sure, it’s a pain for teachers. But they and their students can handle it.

And to be honest, for some students it really doesn’t matter. I once taught an 18 year old student at Spenser. This was in 8th grade. He drove his car to our junior high. He smoked a pack a day. He did zero class work. He had no intention of learning. But at least he wasn’t disruptive! Spenser sure was different than teaching in West Lafayette.
Wole, I got no issue with you but I question you teaching at spenser IN. when that is not how the town is spelled. I get a typo but you did it twice? I live a few miles from Spencer IN. Maybe there is Spenser IN. and if so I apologize.

Outside of Math and the hard Sciences, one can argue that the other Public School courses are unnecessary; i.e. at the discretion of the instructor.
You need to be able to communicate results for scientific research, just for starters, and that requires skill in language and writing.

It takes a LONG time to build those skills and to understand how to use evidence and argue effectively. Students also need to understand how to identify reliable information and to understand not to believe some crackpot on the web or some podcaster who just wants attention.

I teach writing at the college level and am subbing in a middle school science classroom. I never wanted to indoctrinate my students (although I hold very strong political commitments). It doesn't work, as the example of your son suggests. Most teachers I know have no interest in forcing their ideas on students (some young teaching assistants might) and just want students to be able to use evidence well.

Understanding things like causation versus correlation or how statistics work can be incredibly helpful. During the 2020 election, I used to have my students write papers on the effect of one aspect of the 1994 Crime Bill, which requires a clear understanding of data (crime rates started falling before the bill was passed, federal mandatory minimums have little impact on incarceration rates, etc.). I don't care what students believe about that stuff, but I want them to be able to think critically about it.

Also, as someone working in the public schools in a VERY unionized state, I've never heard of the mental health day thing. I think most of us would rather get done after 180 days and move on.

Reactions: FiveWeight
The University of Phoenix has no real campus but it does have a very nice football stadium.

Several years ago didn’t Purdue either merge with or buy out a college that was known for its online degree offerings? And Purdue’s intent was to use that college’s online platform to increase Purdue’s online course offerings?

That was Kaplan University and Kaplan, Inc. - yes, and now part of Purdue Global.

Online access and capability has opened up many wonderful opportunities. However, how do you have "closed book" tests/exams without some kind of in-person attendance at designated facilities/exam centers?

I teach writing at the college level and am subbing in a middle school science classroom. I never wanted to indoctrinate my students (although I hold very strong political commitments). It doesn't work, as the example of your son suggests. Most teachers I know have no interest in forcing their ideas on students (some young teaching assistants might) and just want students to be able to use evidence well.

Understanding things like causation versus correlation or how statistics work can be incredibly helpful. During the 2020 election, I used to have my students write papers on the effect of one aspect of the 1994 Crime Bill, which requires a clear understanding of data (crime rates started falling before the bill was passed, federal mandatory minimums have little impact on incarceration rates, etc.). I don't care what students believe about that stuff, but I want them to be able to think critically about it.

Also, as someone working in the public schools in a VERY unionized state, I've never heard of the mental health day thing. I think most of us would rather get done after 180 days and move o

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT