ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting question on the Basketball forum, wanted to see what you think for football?

I would go with Keyes and Greise and Breese and Woodson. Greise won a Rose Bowl over USC with OJ Simpson

Last edited:
Woodson, Griese, and Brees seem like clear choices. I'd probably pick Keyes for the fourth spot. If you do two primarily offensive and two defensive players, then put Keena Turner in the fourth spot.

A different take: Purdue is known as the cradle of QB’s. So our Mt Rushmore should be 4 QBs.

Dawson, Greise, Herrman and Breese

Reactions: Tommaker
Woodson, Griese, and Brees seem like clear choices. I'd probably pick Keyes for the fourth spot. If you do two primarily offensive and two defensive players, then put Keena Turner in the fourth
I would go with Keyes and Greise and Breese and Woodson. Greise won a Rose Bowl over USC with OJ Simpson
Don't believe OJ was on that team, Wole. He was a JUCO; beat IU in then '68 Rose Bowl (after '67 season) to claim Natty. Lost to OSU in '69 Rose Bowl, following Buckeyes'68 own Natty.

Washington = Father of the Country, Mollenkopf = Father of Purdue Football
Lincoln = Savior of the Union. Tiller = Savior of Purdue Football
Jefferson = Author of the Constitution & President during the expansion, Burke = Author of current success in FB and BB (with Tiller/Painter hires) and AD during BT expansion
Roosevelt = Leroy Keyes

Reactions: tjreese and Wolegib
I liked Otis Armstrong even more as a pro when he would deliberately run over Jack Tatum as a pro because he never apologized to Daryl Stingley for that career ending hit.
"
For the rest of his career, Armstrong looked for Tatum when the Broncos played the Raiders.

“I tried to run over Jack Tatum, every single game we played against them,” he said. “My buddies knew how I felt, and they were helping me out. We didn’t do anything dirty, we didn’t go blindside, but instead of doing a cut against Jack Tatum, I’d try to run over him. He’d get up and laugh.”"

Then Phipps before Herrmann.
Interesting comparison. If not for that injury in the Michigan game, Herrmann almost took Purdue to the Rose Bowl. If we had just won that game, we would have won the tiebreaker. It seems like we always come close but never get there.

Interesting comparison. If not for that injury in the Michigan game, Herrmann almost took Purdue to the Rose Bowl. If we had just won that game, we would have won the tiebreaker. It seems like we always come close but never get there.
I don't remember a pre Michigan injury. It's just that UM had superior athleticism and destroyed us in both '78 and '80. Hermann got them in '79 fortunately, thereby guaranteeing a win over each Big 10 school at the time. Meanwhile, Phipps only had 1-2 blowout losses in his 3 yrs as starter and was also Academic All American (?)
Both had similar, (let's say it) mediocre NFL careers.

I don't remember a pre Michigan injury. It's just that UM had superior athleticism and destroyed us in both '78 and '80. Hermann got them in '79 fortunately, thereby guaranteeing a win over each Big 10 school at the time. Meanwhile, Phipps only had 1-2 blowout losses in his 3 yrs as starter and was also Academic All American (?)
Both had similar, (let's say it) mediocre NFL careers.
I seem to recall Michigan questioning the velocity of Hermann's passing a bit soft and the secondary widening their coverage a bit as a result.

Herman’s injury was during the game against Michigan at Ann Arbor in the second quarter. I know because I was there. Until that time it was a close game. With a win, we would be tied for first and win the tiebreaker. When he went down, I knew it was game over just like Orton’s fumble against UW.

Herman’s injury was during the game against Michigan at Ann Arbor in the second quarter. I know because I was there. Until that time it was a close game. With a win, we would be tied for first and win the tiebreaker. When he went down, I knew it was game over just like Orton’s fumble against UW.
We lost that one by 4 TD's, Wole. Not only were we shut out, Herrmann ( and the team) looked outclassed that day, although inexplicably Jim Young took play calling duties away from Herrmann. Not sure the outcome was ever in doubt; it was on Nat TV. As I recall, Herrmann was picked 3-4 times, including in the end zone, probably costing Mark a shot at Heisman.

We lost that one by 4 TD's, Wole. Not only were we shut out, Herrmann ( and the team) looked outclassed that day, although inexplicably Jim Young took play calling duties away from Herrmann. Not sure the outcome was ever in doubt; it was on Nat TV. As I recall, Herrmann was picked 3-4 times, including in the end zone, probably costing Mark a shot at Heisman.
It was kind of close in the second quarter. Yes we were losing, but with Herrman we thought we might bounce back. And we were finally starting to move the ball. And then boom. He went down. It was game over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT