ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

Coaches/School can't pull NIL money. The money is not coming from the school. It comes from the collective or other businesses. It isn't something the schools control. Could a coach/school try to do that? Sure, but then they would open themselves up to litigation from the player and his representatives.
Really? I thought coaches and athletic departments are not supposed to have anything to do with NIL? I mean we all know they do behind the scenes but this would seem to be de facto rule breaking.
Most NIL deals are year to year. The collectives are free to not renew a deal for the following season.

6 of the 14 are still in high school…so probably start of classes in August is when the official transaction has to be made?

With NIL, a coach can effectively Crean a player by having his NIL payments stopped, even if he can’t technically pull his scholarship.
How? And more importantly why? If they aren't taking up a scholarship then what's the point?

Most NIL deals are year to year. The collectives are free to not renew a deal for the following season.
Collectives, yes. Coaches, no. The statement was made that coaches could "crean kids" by pulling NIL. Coaches don't control the NIL money. If they tried to influence that, they would open themselves to litigation by the player.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Collectives, yes. Coaches, no. The statement was made that coaches could "crean kids" by pulling NIL. Coaches don't control the NIL money. If they tried to influence that, they would open themselves to litigation by the player.
You think coaches don’t have influence over NIL money ?

Reactions: bmwboiler
How? And more importantly why? If they aren't taking up a scholarship then what's the point?
If a coach wanted a player gone, and wasn’t allowed to pull his scholarship, they could signal the collective to not renew that players NIL deal for the following season. The player could stay on scholarship, but wouldn’t make any additional money from NIL.

If a coach wanted a player gone, and wasn’t allowed to pull his scholarship, they could signal the collective to not renew that players NIL deal for the following season. The player could stay on scholarship, but wouldn’t make any additional money from NIL.
If he wanted him gone, he could just kick him off the team. Why would he care about NIL? If s player isn't a PWO or on scholarship then they are a true walk-on. So their spot isn't guaranteed to begin with.

And now with the signing of a 4 star PG, Gatorade player of the year in California, UCLA now has 14 guys on scholarship on their roster and have the same “problem” as us. Fans speculating someone will give us his scholarship for a walk on “$cholarship”…maybe these teams all know something we don’t 🤔 🧐 🤨

Reactions: Boiler Buck
And now with the signing of a 4 star PG, Gatorade player of the year in California, UCLA now has 14 guys on scholarship on their roster and have the same “problem” as us. Fans speculating someone will give us his scholarship for a walk on “$cholarship”…maybe these teams all know something we don’t 🤔 🧐 🤨

Yeah I should have thought of that. Good night, sir....sorry to have troubled you...... Oh geez I almost forgot.....Mr. Painter, just one more thing.

columbo-peter-falk.gif

Just saw Harris and Jacobsen are on 247 "biggest risers". CMP is a flat out stud when it comes to recruiting high school talent.
Jacobsen IMO has had the biggest jump this year. Jason Smith HC Brewster Academy has a long track record of developing players (Aaron Wheeler) and it has shown with how he used Daniel. No player improved more this year than Daniel. Gicarri is a big physical guard that can control a game on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure he improved as much as rating services have just found him.

Jacobsen IMO has had the biggest jump this year. Jason Smith HC Brewster Academy has a long track record of developing players (Aaron Wheeler) and it has shown with how he used Daniel. No player improved more this year than Daniel. Gicarri is a big physical guard that can control a game on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure he improved as much as rating services have just found him.
Also saw GiCarri hit 21/25 3s in a 3pt contest. Very good set shot and no so much of a jump shot. It looked smooth….hes gonna be really good.

Jacobsen highlights show how he continues to progress and gets better and better with each one of them. He’s going to be really good with the guidance and development of Brantley!

Hope they both can contribute this year with some good mins!

If he wanted him gone, he could just kick him off the team. Why would he care about NIL? If s player isn't a PWO or on scholarship then they are a true walk-on. So their spot isn't guaranteed to begin with.
In this hypothetical, the player IS on scholarship, and the coach isn’t allowed to revoke the scholarship.

Also saw GiCarri hit 21/25 3s in a 3pt contest. Very good set shot and no so much of a jump shot. It looked smooth….hes gonna be really good.

Jacobsen highlights show how he continues to progress and gets better and better with each one of them. He’s going to be really good with the guidance and development of Brantley!

Hope they both can contribute this year with some good mins!
I think both of these guys are going to be good players at Purdue if they are the typical type of recruit and show patience and commitment and stick around. I would not be surprised if Harris picks up playing time sooner than Jacobsen. Catchings may be the most likely to get any significant minutes. I think Heide will be a contributor and am hoping Colvin is putting in the work to make a big jump this year. Competition for significant minutes is going to be really tough across the board so if we see the freshman garnering playing time, that in itself will make a statement.

In this hypothetical, the player IS on scholarship, and the coach isn’t allowed to revoke the scholarship.
Then why would the player leave if still on scholarship? And the coach doesn't control NIL. The player is only getting NIL if they have some level of popularity in the first place. It's just such a narrow universe of a popular player who is getting a scholarship somehow giving that up because a coach convinced third parties (improperly) to not give them an NIL contract.

And the coach doesn't control NIL. The player is only getting NIL if they have some level of popularity in the first place
Coaches DEFINITELY have influence over who gets what NIL money.

And all Purdue basketball players get a base NIL “salary”. Like the scooter deal they all have, for example.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Coaches DEFINITELY have influence over who gets what NIL money.

And all Purdue basketball players get a base NIL “salary”. Like the scooter deal they all have, for example.
If a coach tried to "pull" or influence a player getting his NIL deal reduced or removed he would DEFINITELY find himself in court. Coaches can't control NIL deals. Everyone of these players have representatives who are responsible for helping the players get the best deals they can. You better believe that if a coach tried to blackball a player and have their NIL money taken away, they would be sued.

The next time CMP has a call in show, call in and just ask him what influence he has over NIL deals. It would be interesting to see how he answers. By all accounts he is a straight shooter, I think he would give you the honest answer. He doesn't control NIL money.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
If a coach tried to "pull" or influence a player getting his NIL deal reduced or removed he would DEFINITELY find himself in court. Coaches can't control NIL deals. Everyone of these players have representatives who are responsible for helping the players get the best deals they can. You better believe that if a coach tried to blackball a player and have their NIL money taken away, they would be sued.

The next time CMP has a call in show, call in and just ask him what influence he has over NIL deals. It would be interesting to see how he answers. By all accounts he is a straight shooter, I think he would give you the honest answer. He doesn't control NIL money.
Yeah, it would be like Phil Jackson trying to influence Nike to drop Michael Jordan. Phil would end up penniless.

No coach other than an idiot like Will Wade would leave evidence of himself communicating with a collective, but almost all of them do it. Or have it done thru a 3rd party.

And again, most of these deals are for 1 year - so for example, if Carlisle doesn’t live up to expectations this season, you don’t think Woody will communicate with the collective to reduce or eliminate his NIL money?

No coach other than an idiot like Will Wade would leave evidence of himself communicating with a collective, but almost all of them do it. Or have it done thru a 3rd party.

And again, most of these deals are for 1 year - so for example, if Carlisle doesn’t live up to expectations this season, you don’t think Woody will communicate with the collective to reduce or eliminate his NIL money?
Why? That gets Woody what exactly?
Other than any future signees staying away

Why? That gets Woody what exactly?
Other than any future signees staying away
Uh, it gets him $1.2 million to go buy a better player in the portal for the next season?

The players aren’t committed for 2-3 years - why should the coaches and/or collectives be?

Uh, it gets him $1.2 million to go buy a better player in the portal for the next season?

The players aren’t committed for 2-3 years - why should the coaches and/or collectives be?
Plenty are. And the ones that are, aren't going somewhere where a coach can somehow reduce their NIL on his own personal whim from year to year.

And even the ones that are only one season aren't going to want to mess with that nonsense either.

Plenty are. And the ones that are, aren't going somewhere where a coach can somehow reduce their NIL on his own personal whim from year to year.

And even the ones that are only one season aren't going to want to mess with that nonsense either.
You don’t think players can have their NIL pay be decreased from one season to the next if they don’t produce ? Ohio State football does this regularly. Then they go poach players from Alabama with that salary slot.

You think Myles Rice will get $1.2 million each year for the next 3 years if he doesn’t live up to expectations?

Reactions: northside100
You don’t think players can have their NIL pay be decreased from one season to the next if they don’t produce ? Ohio State football does this regularly. Then they go poach players from Alabama with that salary slot.

You think Myles Rice will get $1.2 million each year for the next 3 years if he doesn’t live up to expectations?
It's not "pay." I get it, you hate NIL. It's not pay, it's compensation for name image or likeness. If a player is popular, they will have more than if they aren't. So that NIL might fluctuate year to year for positive or negative reasons not wholly under control of the coach.

But a coach who DIRECTS that NIL go down is in a pretty bad place, because he's telling recruits I'll harm you financially at my whim.

Pretty quickly players will take one of the near infinite other options, particularly the top ones. And that helps that coach how?

It's not "pay." I get it, you hate NIL. It's not pay, it's compensation for name image or likeness. If a player is popular, they will have more than if they aren't. So that NIL might fluctuate year to year for positive or negative reasons not wholly under control of the coach.

But a coach who DIRECTS that NIL go down is in a pretty bad place, because he's telling recruits I'll harm you financially at my whim.

Pretty quickly players will take one of the near infinite other options, particularly the top ones. And that helps that coach how?
How is “compensation” not pay?

Again: You think Myles Rice will get $1.2 million each year for the next 3 years if he doesn’t live up to expectations? You think Woody will stand idly by and do nothing?

Who do you think directed the collective to offer him that much?

How is “compensation” not pay?

Again: You think Myles Rice will get $1.2 million each year for the next 3 years if he doesn’t live up to expectations? You think Woody will stand idly by and do nothing?

Who do you think directed the collective to offer him that much?
Because one is related to job performance and one is related to use of name image and likeness which is not directly tied to performance.

I think Woody will have little to nothing to do with how much NIL he can command. If people want to buy his stuff, he will get paid, if they don't, he may not.

And you seem to think there's no ramifications to a cutthroat approach which is baffling to me.

Because one is related to job performance and one is related to use of name image and likeness which is not directly tied to performance.

I think Woody will have little to nothing to do with how much NIL he can command. If people want to buy his stuff, he will get paid, if they don't, he may not.

And you seem to think there's no ramifications to a cutthroat approach which is baffling to me.
Newsflash- a whole bunch of that money is not from people “buying his stuff”… LOL…

Walters talks openly about using NIL to get players. You think he’s not working with the collective to put offers together?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Newsflash- a whole bunch of that money is not from people “buying his stuff”… LOL…

Walters talks openly about using NIL to get players. You think he’s not working with the collective to put offers together?
There's quite a difference between working with a collective to put something together and completely shutting out someone because they didn't perform.

And yes it literally is from people buying his stuff which can take a whole host of different forms.

And even if the coach 100 percent controlled every last dollar, which they don't but let's assume they did, they'd still be pretty shortsighted to start playing hardball because very quickly players would avoid such a coach unless they had no other options.

You've let your anger at NIL cloud your thoughts on this.

And yes it literally is from people buying his stuff which can take a whole host of different forms.
Or maybe a bunch of it is from boosters who are pooling money to buy players… and will expect big time results…from the coach and the players…

Reactions: pboiler18
Or maybe a bunch of it is from boosters who are pooling money to buy players… and will expect big time results…from the coach and the players…
The kind of boosters that have big bucks to waste on paying athletes aren't quite as cutthroat as you make them out to be. It's pocket change.

And the point you keep ignoring, I'll assume because you have no answer, is that top players ain't going to cutthroat locations.

The return on being cutthroat is very, very limited. IF IU is being cutthroat, just go to Ohio State or Michigan or one of like 60-70 plus programs who aren't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT