ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

I watched Paint on a webcast with Andy Katz. Here is the basics of what he said returning players he listed them all by name Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst, Waddel, Colvin, Berg and Heide = 8 returners. Kept referring to the six recruits mainly about getting them all up to speed. Said Purdue is fortunate to have all of them. Mentioned that Berg got screwed when Zach came back. Said 2 may redshirt but way too early to even guess who. Katz blew it why not point out that equals 14 players he didn't mention the elephant in the room.
Very interesting comment regarding Berg.

I heard that Berg (shot Put) Heide (high Jump) are joining the Track and Field Team, Colvin (linebacker) and Smith(free safety) are joining the football team. All on scholarship thus freeing up 4 scholies for the BB team. lol
I guess that makes as much sense any anything else being proposed. lol
I heard Loyer will play 1st base moving his scholarship to baseball. Wadell will join the chess club moving his scholarship to an academic one.

Frees up 2 more spots.

I watched Paint on a webcast with Andy Katz. Here is the basics of what he said returning players he listed them all by name Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst, Waddel, Colvin, Berg and Heide = 8 returners. Kept referring to the six recruits mainly about getting them all up to speed. Said Purdue is fortunate to have all of them. Mentioned that Berg got screwed when Zach came back. Said 2 may redshirt but way too early to even guess who. Katz blew it why not point out that equals 14 players he didn't mention the elephant in the room.
I noticed that too. They've obviously found a loophole/solution to the problem. Painter sounds like he expects all 14 guys on campus.

So you are saying this is the guy.

......and furthermore it was planned way back in late spring last year.....since it was claimed a plan was in.place.

Internships can be long OR pretty short though, so I wouldn't be so sure until we have confirmation. I can say that field can be super lucrative, so that will be a great experience.

So you are saying this is the guy.

......and furthermore it was planned way back in late spring last year.....since it was claimed a plan was in.place.

Internships can be long OR pretty short though, so I wouldn't be so sure until we have confirmation. I can say that field can be super lucrative, so that will be a great experience.
You missed Dwayne's emoji.

You missed Dwayne's emoji.

Likely. Since my eyes are bad and can't make out some those small emoji guys easily as some others. Lol

I was thinking this kid could be it as much as anyone? Who knows?

Not sure why staff had not been more transparent on this? Since people are saying a plan has been in place for some time.

Purdue’s roster on the website is listed, 14 guys are listed that we expect to be on scholarship. My guess is either Furst (unlikely) for academics or Waddel (possibly) pushed to walk on making NIL money at a greater rate than moving to a Ball State type where he could get a scholarship but less NIL money. Any idea Dub?

Purdue’s roster on the website is listed, 14 guys are listed that we expect to be on scholarship. My guess is either Furst (unlikely) for academics or Waddel (possibly) pushed to walk on making NIL money at a greater rate than moving to a Ball State type where he could get a scholarship but less NIL money. Any idea Dub?
Furst for academics won't help as he would still count in the 13 allowed. Someone is giving up their scholarship to become a walk-on (with or without NIL help).

Furst for academics won't help as he would still count in the 13 allowed. Someone is giving up their scholarship to become a walk-on (with or without NIL help).
That’s what I figure.. At first glance I thought I posted what you posted lol. Good name lol. Also, guessing such player is doing ok NIL wise.

Reactions: PurdueDave
I saw a tweet where he got into Mitch Daniels school of finance ( Krannert). He also put out a tweet that he was doing virtual tours of places to stay he and Jacobsen. This kid is a 4.0 Deans list waiting to happen. Crazy thing is all 6 of them have bonded thru social media. Going to take some effort to split them even this early. But who knows

I saw a tweet where he got into Mitch Daniels school of finance ( Krannert). He also put out a tweet that he was doing virtual tours of places to stay he and Jacobsen. This kid is a 4.0 Deans list waiting to happen. Crazy thing is all 6 of them have bonded thru social media. Going to take some effort to split them even this early. But who knows
sounds like 2 will redshirt and I suspect Furst and Waddell will accept their spare minutes like they did this year so probably a 10 man rotation.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I mean it kinda has to be public. You can't hide who is on scholarship and who isn't. So IF someone gives up a scholly, we will at least know who it is.
But does it? If BW gives up his scholarship, how would we know? Does someone have to do a FOI request?

I mean it kinda has to be public. You can't hide who is on scholarship and who isn't. So IF someone gives up a scholly, we will at least know who it is.

You can't? Not to say Purdue will hide it per se, just not make it public who is no longer on scholarship.

Not sure about how readily accessible that information is

We'd know because the other 13 would be announced as on scholarship. Otherwise every school would just keep their numbers secret and they could have 14, 15 or more players on scholarship and no one would know.
As of today, all 14 are on scholarship. At least as far as the public knows. When does (or did) an "announcement" take place?

But does it? If BW gives up his scholarship, how would we know? Does someone have to do a FOI request?
Maybe a social media post like all the ones that show where the player transfers or saying “I’m back!” But in this case (whoever gives up the scholarship)…”I’m giving up my scholarship to walk on!”….something like that??? 😂 😂

As of today, all 14 are on scholarship. At least as far as the public knows. When does (or did) an "announcement" take place?
Well I don't believe they start today. I believe they start later on. You can't have 14 people on scholarship so it has to be 13 whenever that official date is either by someone giving up a scholarship in some way or someone going to prep school.

You can't? Not to say Purdue will hide it per se, just not make it public who is no longer on scholarship.

Not sure about how readily accessible that information is
I mean that would be hiding it. It's not much of a rule if anyone can avoid it by just not announcing who is on scholarship.

Well I don't believe they start today. I believe they start later on. You can't have 14 people on scholarship so it has to be 13 whenever that official date is either by someone giving up a scholarship in some way or someone going to prep school.
Yeah. I think start of fall semester is when it needs to be 13. I just don't recall any announcement about who is/isn't on scholarship for past teams.

I'm sure the compliance office is in touch with the NCAA, but beyond that, there may not be any need for public disclosure.

We'd know because the other 13 would be announced as on scholarship. Otherwise every school would just keep their numbers secret and they could have 14, 15 or more players on scholarship and no one would know.
The NCAA must be informed. Is there a rule that states that it must be announced to the public?

Reactions: PurdueDave
The NCAA must be informed. Is there a rule that states that it must be announced to the public?

This would seem to indicate that yes, athletic scholarships are public records.

This would seem to indicate that yes, athletic scholarships are public records.
I agree. I don't see where this is specifically spelled out, but it implies that the public could obtain the information from the report submitted by the school to the Department of Education. It probably wouldn't be available until 2025, at the earliest.

So we might not know more tomorrow.

So we might not know more tomorrow.

Wait? WHATTTTTT?????

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here.gif

6 of the 14 are still in high school…so probably start of classes in August is when the official transaction has to be made?

With NIL, a coach can effectively Crean a player by having his NIL payments stopped, even if he can’t technically pull his scholarship.

6 of the 14 are still in high school…so probably start of classes in August is when the official transaction has to be made?

With NIL, a coach can effectively Crean a player by having his NIL payments stopped, even if he can’t technically pull his scholarship.

Yes, the start of the 2024 academic year is when the scholarship issue needs to be resolved.

Really? I thought coaches and athletic departments are not supposed to have anything to do with NIL? I mean we all know they do behind the scenes but this would seem to be de facto rule breaking.

Coaches/School can't pull NIL money. The money is not coming from the school. It comes from the collective or other businesses. It isn't something the schools control. Could a coach/school try to do that? Sure, but then they would open themselves up to litigation from the player and his representatives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT