ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

I still believe painter will run a similar offense and will find somebody to replace Edey’s role. In the past couple of days there has been discussion that Jacobson’s dad Isn’t really that interested in his son having a long college career. Maybe Jacobson takes Edey’s role and TKR is forced back to the 4.

With the current portal and almost every player saying they plan to leave early, I see no real benefit of red shirting any player. The only benefit they will receive is they will have an extra year of eligibility when they transfer.

And in the era where coaches are now looking for a player to give up his scholarship for the good of the team, what’s the benefit of red shirting if the coach wants you to leave anyway. Look at Morton and Gillis. They basically knew their time at Purdue was over. Gillis redshirted basically so he’d end up having 1 year to play at Duke. Newman redshirted so he’d have a couple of extra years elsewhere.

And now posters are talking about wanting to add Sisley and Harrelson. In order for that to happen someone has to leave early. So what’s the point of redshirting?

Reactions: oldboiler52
I have watched Burgess on film and I think he could battle for minutes at the 4/5. He is a great compliment to TKR on the block because he can shoot from outside.

I also think Cox and Harris have size/strength combo to be competitors for minutes this year.

Hopefully, the summer workouts and trip (haven't heard where we are going) gives Painter enough of an idea on best lineup combos to make this team work.

Said it many times, this could be one of the fastest tempo teams we have had under Painter. There are some scouts who talked about Braden playing to Edey's strength the past 2 years and year 3, is the Braden show from when he played in high school. He is going to get out and run and doesn't have to worry about Edey getting to the block.

I would hasten to wager it will be Painter's fastest tempo team he's had so far. You can also add me to the list - neither Catchings nor Harris will redshirt.

Definitely a change on both ends of the floor - no rim protector and the luxury of surety bond rebounder from Zach Edey, which will definitely be a drawback, but I think there may be a pleasant surprise with how Purdue eventually will defend more straight up on the wing. It may take a while, and the team will take some learning lumps....but there will be some strides - might actually see more forced turnovers when the team gets going.

Also won't have the luxury of so much defense focused in the paint to create great opportunities from distance - however, I think you may see some transition opportunities there. Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Harris could all benefit from Braden Smith pushing the pace, IMO. And Fletch Loyer could do some damage as a trailer on the wing. TKR, Furst and company in the paint will be interesting as will how the Boilers manage the glass without former 2x POY Zach Edey.

Reading between the lines with Painter (not always easy), he's not so stubborn....haha. I don't think even he expected that kind of dominance from ZE.....but silly/stupid not to try and maximize it.

We shall see. Looking forward to another new chapter/season and roller coaster ride.....cardiac treatments and supplies are already in the works just in case.

Last edited:
I would hasten to wager it will be Painter's fastest tempo team he's had so far. You can also add me to the list - neither Catchings nor Harris will redshirt.

Definitely a change on both ends of the floor - no rim protector and the luxury of surety bond rebounder from Zach Edey, which will definitely be a drawback, but I think there may be a pleasant surprise with how Purdue eventually will defend more straight up on the wing. It may take a while, and the team will take some learning lumps....but there will be some strides - might actually see more forced turnovers when the team gets going.

Also won't have the luxury of so much defense focused in the paint to create great opportunities from distance - however, I think you may see some transition opportunities there. Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Harris could all benefit from Braden Smith pushing the pace, IMO. And Fletch Loyer could do some damage as a trailer on the wing. TKR, Furst and company in the paint will be interesting as will how the Boilers manage the glass without former 2x POY Zach Edey.

Reading between the lines with Painter (not always easy), he's not so stubborn....haha. I don't even he expected that kind of dominance from ZE.....but silly/stupid not to try and maximize it.

We shall see. Looking forward to another new chapter/season and roller coaster ride.....cardiac treatments and supplies are already in the works just in case.
Speaking of just in case. Supplies= Cases of Corona Light weekly deliveries. Just in case.

Reading between the lines with Painter (not always easy), he's not so stubborn....haha. I don't even he expected that kind of dominance from ZE.....but silly/stupid not to try and maximize it.

Think the guys like you saying it will be one of Purdue's fastest tempo teams are right on. I can't wait.

I know if TOs becomes a consistent problem that is the only reason CMP will rein it in. But as a guy who has always maximized the talent he has, I see an uptick in pace coming as long as it doesn't lead to increased TOs which we know CMP won't tolerate.

But as far as rim protectors the 2 new bigs are supposed to be above average in that skill. Hope the rest of their game is their too as they need more than that to get minutes.

Y'all are crazy. Someone with academic issues or someone like Cox will goto prep school.
No one has academic issues and prep school route takes away a scholarship for the following year…so we wouldn’t be able to use it on Sisley or Haralson or whomever

I still believe painter will run a similar offense and will find somebody to replace Edey’s role. In the past couple of days there has been discussion that Jacobson’s dad Isn’t really that interested in his son having a long college career. Maybe Jacobson takes Edey’s role and TKR is forced back to the 4.

With the current portal and almost every player saying they plan to leave early, I see no real benefit of red shirting any player. The only benefit they will receive is they will have an extra year of eligibility when they transfer.

And in the era where coaches are now looking for a player to give up his scholarship for the good of the team, what’s the benefit of red shirting if the coach wants you to leave anyway. Look at Morton and Gillis. They basically knew their time at Purdue was over. Gillis redshirted basically so he’d end up having 1 year to play at Duke. Newman redshirted so he’d have a couple of extra years elsewhere.

And now posters are talking about wanting to add Sisley and Harrelson. In order for that to happen someone has to leave early. So what’s the point of redshirting?
Jacobsen is nothing like edey. Therefore, the offense with him as the focal point would not look like the past 2 years. Jacobsen is like 80 lbs lighter, but can knock down 3s and a very mobile big on defense, being able to cover ground a cover guards in PnR situations.

Painter will reinvent the offense a bit or go back to yelling “MOOOOOVE” in motion offense

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Jacobsen is nothing like edey. Therefore, the offense with him as the focal point would not look like the past 2 years. Jacobsen is like 80 lbs lighter, but can knock down 3s and a very mobile big on defense, being able to cover ground a cover guards in PnR situations.

Painter will reinvent the offense a bit or go back to yelling “MOOOOOVE” in motion offense
Jacobsen will hopefully be like a Clingan by his sophomore year. That is the best comp I can come too. Elite rim protector but more rounded game with outside shooting abilities.

Wrong again. You should change your name to Wrongib. Gillis played his redshirt at Purdue and took us to national championship. This year is his bonus covid year. If he didn’t have his covid year he would have still been here. We had 4 other players on our team that redshirted and are still here. So over the past year 83% of our redshirted players stayed. I’d say that’s a good investment for both player and team.

Wrong again. You should change your name to Wrongib. Gillis played his redshirt at Purdue and took us to national championship. This year is his bonus covid year. If he didn’t have his covid year he would have still been here. We had 4 other players on our team that redshirted and are still here. So over the past year 83% of our redshirted players stayed. I’d say that’s a good investment for both player and team.
STOP ATTACKING WOLSTOY !!!!

Jacobsen will hopefully be like a Clingan by his sophomore year. That is the best comp I can come too. Elite rim protector but more rounded game with outside shooting abilities.
i would definitely like it if he plays like Clingan, Go Boilers

Gillis redshirted. Where is he now? Did he use all his years playing for Purdue? Newman redshirted. Where is he now? Did he use all of his years playing at Purdue? Wadell redshirted. Is he ever going to start for Purdue?

Redshirting may have been a great thing in the past. But today all it does is give a player another year to play elsewhere.

If Cox or Benton redshirt, do you really believe either player will ever start at Purdue? Basically you’d be giving them an extra year to come off the bench. And most likely. After being here for 4 years, you would hope they graduate and leave or transfer rather than staying here for the full 5 years.

Look at Wadell. Would you rather he stayed 5 years? Or would you rather use his scholarship to sign Sisley or Haralson?

Let’s face the reality of the current trends in college basketball. If the guy isn’t starting within 3 years, Both the fans and coaches want the player to leave so they can sign a new player either via the portal or from high school. Today’s basketball frowns on a player playing at the same school for more than 4 years.

Sure, Gillis and Morton received an extra year because of Covid. Others players did as well. Can you tell me the name of any player who played for one team for 6 years?

As I said, letting a person redshirt basically gives that player another year to play elsewhere.

In three years are you going to want Cox to stay for another 2 years? Or are you going to hope he leaves so Purdue can sig n some new 4/5 star guard?

We currently don’t have any room for Haralson or Sisley or anybody. The only way to make room is if someone leaves. Someone will get the talk. Or you will hope that 13th guy on the bench gets the talk and leaves.

We are currently 1 over our scholarship limit. What name is the most frequent name people have mentioned as the guy to leave? Is it someone who redshirted.

Rather than arguing, let’s be honest. Who are you predicting or hoping will leave? My guess is most people here will name the player who redshirted!

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
You point out the differences between Jacobson and Edey and say that Painter will install a totally different offense to take advantage of those differences.

I say Painter will run the same style of offense he has always run. And whoever plays center will adapt their talents to mold their game to be the same type of center painter has always used. And their style will become much like Edey and Haas and Swanigan and Tre rather than the style. You believe they can play.

Before coming to Purdue Haarms was a huge perimeter shooter for his European team. He adapted his play to what Painter wanted.

Maybe Jacobson won’t start at center. Maybe it will be TKR or Furst or Berg.

But my speculation is painter is not going to change his style of play to adapt to our players. They are the ones who will adapt.

It’s sort of like playing defense. If a player wants to play, he adapts his style of play to play Painter’s style of defense. Painter doesn’t change and goes to a zone to adapt to a player’s style.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Gillis redshirted. Where is he now? Did he use all his years playing for Purdue? Newman redshirted. Where is he now? Did he use all of his years playing at Purdue? Wadell redshirted. Is he ever going to start for Purdue?

Redshirting may have been a great thing in the past. But today all it does is give a player another year to play elsewhere.

If Cox or Benton redshirt, do you really believe either player will ever start at Purdue? Basically you’d be giving them an extra year to come off the bench. And most likely. After being here for 4 years, you would hope they graduate and leave or transfer rather than staying here for the full 5 years.

Look at Wadell. Would you rather he stayed 5 years? Or would you rather use his scholarship to sign Sisley or Haralson?

Let’s face the reality of the current trends in college basketball. If the guy isn’t starting within 3 years, Both the fans and coaches want the player to leave so they can sign a new player either via the portal or from high school. Today’s basketball frowns on a player playing at the same school for more than 4 years.

Sure, Gillis and Morton received an extra year because of Covid. Others players did as well. Can you tell me the name of any player who played for one team for 6 years?

As I said, letting a person redshirt basically gives that player another year to play elsewhere.

In three years are you going to want Cox to stay for another 2 years? Or are you going to hope he leaves so Purdue can sig n some new 4/5 star guard?

We currently don’t have any room for Haralson or Sisley or anybody. The only way to make room is if someone leaves. Someone will get the talk. Or you will hope that 13th guy on the bench gets the talk and leaves.

We are currently 1 over our scholarship limit. What name is the most frequent name people have mentioned as the guy to leave? Is it someone who redshirted.

Rather than arguing, let’s be honest. Who are you predicting or hoping will leave? My guess is most people here will name the player who redshirted!
Gillis played the full amount at Purdue, not including covid. Players who played for 5 years at their school in B1G off recent memory - Tyler Wahl, Boo Buie, Brad Davison and Jordan Bohanon (who played 6).

We all know we don’t have room for this year or next. Today is last day to enter the portal.

Options that we have discussed: prep school route or someone becomes a walk on and gets NIL.

I don’t think any of us WANT a player to leave, it’s more speculation and guessing on who MAY leave…Waddell, Berg and Furst are the main 3 that seem MOST probable. But it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen, but we have all said Painter has a plan and it’ll all workout/be revealed soon enough.

You point out the differences between Jacobson and Edey and say that Painter will install a totally different offense to take advantage of those differences.

I say Painter will run the same style of offense he has always run. And whoever plays center will adapt their talents to mold their game to be the same type of center painter has always used. And their style will become much like Edey and Haas and Swanigan and Tre rather than the style. You believe they can play.

Before coming to Purdue Haarms was a huge perimeter shooter for his European team. He adapted his play to what Painter wanted.

But my speculation is painter is not going to change his style of play to adapt to our players. They are the ones who will adapt.

It’s sort of like playing defense. If a player wants to play, he adapts his style of play to play Painter’s style of defense. Painter doesn’t change and goes to a zone to adapt to a player’s style.
It won’t be as post centric since there’s no one like edey on the team. We will probably go back to the motion offense we ran prior to Edey. While we still had Haas and Haarms, they weren’t the main focus on offense. Haarms didn’t have an offensive game and Haas was in the game half the time.

With how painter has recruited the last 3 years, he’s been building the wings and guards to go more modern. Do you not agree?

Reactions: BBG

If CMP wants or doesn't want a player to RS, I am all for it. He has a complete handle on his roster and maximizing the talent of those guys in any way he sees fit. So why question it one way or another?

If CMP wants or doesn't want a player to RS, I am all for it. He has a complete handle on his roster and maximizing the talent of those guys in any way he sees fit. So why question it one way or another?
This is the same argument that Wol has been making for at least five years. He conveniently ignores examples where redshirting has helped Purdue.

Completely in character for him to suggest that Mason taking his COVID year elsewhere after playing his RS senior year at Purdue as an example of why redshirting doesn't work.

This is the same argument that Wol has been making for at least five years. He conveniently ignores examples where redshirting has helped Purdue.

Completely in character for him to suggest that Mason taking his COVID year elsewhere after playing his RS senior year at Purdue as an example of why redshirting doesn't work.

It's Matt Painter's fault for not planning on guys sticking around for a 6th year

Reactions: northside100
I don't think there is a lot of value in the redshirt in terms of preserving a year. Purdue's only had a couple of guys play their 5th year in that scenario.

Where I think there is value is the clean break it gives you with the roster. If the 12th and 13th men on the roster aren't redshirting, they want to play. But outside of low major blowouts, that just doesn't happen.

So I think it's a much cleaner conversation to just tell a player "Hey, we don't see you in the rotation so we are going to redshirt you" than "Hey, you are our 12th guy this year so I doubt you get meaningful minutes but we'll see how it goes".

Because it's Wole, he is the only one with the courage to make predictions and speak out against the group think!
If you were ever part of a group think it encourages others to think of and bring up ideas that no one has brought up before. It encourages you to play devils advocate and argue the opposite points if you agree with it so that others may gain insight to something they never thought of before.

I was introduced to the group think process after the challenger blew up. People at NASA took too many things for granted and had the belief it was close enough for government work.

Others learn from those who are different and think differently.

Let’s be honest. Who would you rather have on the team next year? harelson and Sisley or Cox and Wadell?

Loyalty is nice until it comes in the way of your desires.

You may not say so publicly, But if keeping a player prevented us from adding the player you desire, you would not be a happy fan.

If you were ever part of a group think it encourages others to think of and bring up ideas that no one has brought up before. It encourages you to play devils advocate and argue the opposite points if you agree with it so that others may gain insight to something they never thought of before.

I was introduced to the group think process after the challenger blew up. People at NASA took too many things for granted and had the belief it was close enough for government work.

Others learn from those who are different and think differently.

I don't think you have my intended use of groupthink (it's actually one word, I found):

"A psychological phenomenon in which the desire for harmony or conformity in a group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision"

Reactions: BBG
Coleman Hawkins would be a great fit. Imagine the run outs with him, Smith, Colvin and Heide on the floor at the same time. 5 could just stand on the other end waiting for the other team to bring the ball up.

PS I know it's not happening, just saying.

Can someone explain this to me. I live in AZ, and dont follow high school basketball in any state. Thanks in advance.
It's really a joke about Coleman Hawkins transferring to Purdue. Nothing to do with high school. He basically put his name in the portal on the last day to protect himself if the draft prospects don't go so well in the next month. Gives him options.

Only one who left on that list to use his redshirt elsewhere is Newman and he followed a Purdue coach and wanted more opportunity to play. No hard feelings. Gillis time at Purdue was done but yes he used his redshirt as was always the plan. If pain wants Waddell on our team then yes I want him 5 years. He might be a great teammate and leader and make guys around him better. I’ve heard nothing but great things about him including from paint. There are a lot of people who played six years for a team. There will be attrition and painter over signing by one is fine. It happened once before and he has a plan. If paint thinks we are better with a 5th year Waddell then I’m supportive of it. You can play the what ifs but what I don’t want to be is like duke where everyone leaves and you have no veteran leadership. You are obsessed with players only feeling valued or you only valuing if they start. We had a lot of role players and major contributors off the bench who stayed here a long time knowing they were fine wirh it including Gillis and Furst. Trevion was happy to come off the bench and complained of knuckleheads like you who don’t understand team players.

"As I said, letting a person redshirt basically gives that player another year to play elsewhere."

Redshirting doesn't have to have anything to do with it. You have 5 years to play 4. They can still play 1, 2, or 3 years and transfer. With or without redshirting.

You should start your own blog: "Wole's Anti-Redshirt Theories"

"As I said, letting a person redshirt basically gives that player another year to play elsewhere."

Redshirting doesn't have to have anything to do with it. You have 5 years to play 4. They can still play 1, 2, or 3 years and transfer. With or without redshirting.

You should start your own blog: "Wole's Anti-Redshirt Theories"
You know who really hated redshirts?

Kirk.

You know who really hated redshirts?

Kirk.

Lol....Ensign Kravitz.....yes, I trained with his uncle at the academy......

1wx444.jpg

Reactions: GemstateBoiler

Wow. I'm going to try some Wolegib logic here.

Zack Edey, Jaden Ivey, Biggie Swanigan, Scott Martin, Eric Hunter, Isaiah Thompson, Matt Haarms, Nojel Eastern, Kendall Stephens, Bryson Scott, Ronnie Johnson, Anthony Johnson, and Sandi Marcius did not use all of their eligibility at Purdue. And none of them redshirted. Therefore, NOT redshirting is BAD for Purdue.

Y'all are crazy. Someone with academic issues or someone like Cox will goto prep school.
As someone pointed out, there are no signs of academic issues with this team. Just the opposite. And I know this is all speculation, but I'll point out that Cox is graduating from Milton Academy -- a prep school. I'll speculate that he will not agree to go back.

As someone pointed out, there are no signs of academic issues with this team. Just the opposite. And I know this is all speculation, but I'll point out that Cox is graduating from Milton Academy -- a prep school. I'll speculate that he will not agree to go back.
I watched Paint on a webcast with Andy Katz. Here is the basics of what he said returning players he listed them all by name Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst, Waddel, Colvin, Berg and Heide = 8 returners. Kept referring to the six recruits mainly about getting them all up to speed. Said Purdue is fortunate to have all of them. Mentioned that Berg got screwed when Zach came back. Said 2 may redshirt but way too early to even guess who. Katz blew it why not point out that equals 14 players he didn't mention the elephant in the room.

Wow. I'm going to try some Wolegib logic here.

Zack Edey, Jaden Ivey, Biggie Swanigan, Scott Martin, Eric Hunter, Isaiah Thompson, Matt Haarms, Nojel Eastern, Kendall Stephens, Bryson Scott, Ronnie Johnson, Anthony Johnson, and Sandi Marcius did not use all of their eligibility at Purdue. And none of them redshirted. Therefore, NOT redshirting is BAD for Purdue.
Correlation and faulty logic are best friends ;)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Do you really not know that Painter has run very, very different offenses over the years?
Exactly. Purdue 2012 and 2019 are good examples of seasons when Purdue didn’t really feature a post up game, but finished with the #7 and #4 offenses in efficiency (per Torvik), respectively.

In 2012, Purdue did it by leading the nation in lowest turnover percentage. That team featured a lightning quick ball handler at point guard in Lewis Jackson, but Robbie Hummel was featured and Ryne Smith and DJ Byrd chipped in with great shooting. It wasn’t an overly talented team, but they were very sound.

2019 might be an even better example, because the best player was an undersized guard. While Eastern was technically the point guard, the offense ran through Carsen Edwards. Purdue ran a ton of plays for him and in turn, created a lot of opportunities for everyone else.

I see similarities with 2019 in next year’s group, but I think that Smith can be an even more effective initiator than Edwards because he is such a great facilitator. I expect Purdue to have one of the best offenses in the country again next season. I have more questions about defense with the players Purdue lost, but I have high expectations for the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT