ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

Another thought, sorry if I missed it in here, is I wonder if when Jacobson reclassified and then wanted to commit, if redshirting was openly talked about?

Purdue also new they wanted to take Harris at the time, so maybe it was presented as he would be a walk-on with potential NIL compensation his freshman year, and guaranteed a scholarship the next season, similar to a gray shirt in football.

Seeing how Purdue develops 7 footers, it's a win-win for both parties, as Jacobson will get to Purdue a year early to work with coaches and practice, and it allowed Purdue to sign Harris when he was ready to jump on board at a much higher position of need. The NIL piece would offset any potential financial loss to the family for tuition

Another thought, sorry if I missed it in here, is I wonder if when Jacobson reclassified and then wanted to commit, if redshirting was openly talked about?

Purdue also new they wanted to take Harris at the time, so maybe it was presented as he would be a walk-on with potential NIL compensation his freshman year, and guaranteed a scholarship the next season, similar to a gray shirt in football.

Seeing how Purdue develops 7 footers, it's a win-win for both parties, as Jacobson will get to Purdue a year early to work with coaches and practice, and it allowed Purdue to sign Harris when he was ready to jump on board at a much higher position of need. The NIL piece would offset any potential financial loss to the family for tuition
Could be. But he had an offer from serval other major programs including 3 other big ten teams (minny, WI, and Illinois) and he is out of state so of all the players who could be doing an offset he would have been least likely expected.

Reactions: oldboiler52

There's almost certainly at least one, if not more, redshirts next season. Unfortunately redshirts still count against scholarship limit so that still doesn't solve the roster issue.

It beats the way that rival schools are turning over their whole rosters with transfers every year, IMO. It beats making a player leave who wants to stay. Purdue is still only going to play 5 guys at a time so I don’t really see this as gaining a competitive advantage. What makes this situation remarkable is that nobody (except the guys who had their senior day, already) is transferring out. In this era, it speaks volumes about the kind of program that Matt Painter is running.
Sure does. Also helps we are usually in the top 10 year after year. Recruits and players have figured it out. Painter doesn't feed them a bunch of bullcrap either. He is straight forward with them.

He is probably the least likely to redshirt. His dad has been upfront he reclassified to get to the NBA a year earlier. Wouldn't make sense for him to waste a year on redshirting. He is the only recruit in this class to have a near guaranteed NBA future IMO. Hopefully he stays 2 years and we land his little brother who is only 6'10" at 15 years old.

The problem is we are still one over the following year if we sign someone in 25 as we appear to be planning on doing. So who gets NIL the following year instead of a scholarship?

I think we will know the answer to this by May 2.

He is probably the least likely to redshirt. His dad has been upfront he reclassified to get to the NBA a year earlier. Wouldn't make sense for him to waste a year on redshirting. He is the only recruit in this class to have a near guaranteed NBA future IMO. Hopefully he stays 2 years and we land his little brother who is only 6'10" at 15 years old.
More so than Catchings?

If Jacobsen leaves after 1 year, then that would mean (more than likely) we had a lot better year than expected so I’m ok with that. But I would be willing to bet he’s here for at least 2.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
If Jacobsen leaves after 1 year, then that would mean (more than likely) we had a lot better year than expected so I’m ok with that. But I would be willing to bet he’s here for at least 2.
For those that follow recruiting better than me, is he cut from the Chet Holmgren cloth? Similar game or no?

For those that follow recruiting better than me, is he cut from the Chet Holmgren cloth? Similar game or no?
So from what I have seen, at first I was like huh?? Why???

And then with each highlight that kept coming out…he looked better and better. He doesn’t have the handles Chet had/has but other parts are a bit similar….He’s def not our typical 7 footer we have ever had.

He is an aggressive shot blocker and quick release from 3 (see below)…especially for a 7 footer. Can run the floor well and guard the PnR (well at least the HS guards so far). He’s an absolute great get and I’m curious to see how much time he will get next year…not sure if conditioning. He has the potential to be very good. Also, like oldboiler said…his younger bro is a 6’10 soph that hopefully we can sign once his bro leaves us after 2-3 years.

What’s crazy is that EVERYONE on our team can shoot the 3/has an outside shot. Gonna be fun to watch what offense we run next year….hope paint steals some of that UConn action and uses it.

At the same time, Illinois is losing 13/15 of their roster next season. Painter knows the way.
Man them and IU have completely different teams from last year and it’ll be the same thing next year. I hope somehow we can keep doing what we are doing and be successful still.

Reactions: Abugabby
I’d say catchings is more likely to redshirt than Harris. That’s based on scouting reports that note Harris is the most big ten ready of the guards. Catchings is a project who showed flashes of greatness.
Lmao this is a good one. I know this isn’t serious but if we actually RS catchings…we’d never see a top recruit in painters tenure again 😂

Lmao this is a good one. I know this isn’t serious but if we actually RS catchings…we’d never see a top recruit in painters tenure again 😂
While I agree in the case of Catchings, I will also say that in this era of NIL, redshirting can really pay off for players. I know it’s his Covid year, but Mason Gillis is a great example of this. I’d guess that he’s being very well compensated at Duke.

Coach Painter will do the right thing for his players, which probably means that 2 of the freshmen will redshirt this season.

While I agree in the case of Catchings, I will also say that in this era of NIL, redshirting can really pay off for players. I know it’s his Covid year, but Mason Gillis is a great example of this. I’d guess that he’s being very well compensated at Duke.

Coach Painter will do the right thing for his players, which probably means that 2 of the freshmen will redshirt this season.
while I love Gillis, him and Catchings as incoming recruits are nowhere near each other (207 to 39). Catchings is projected first round already and a RS would not interest him (don’t blame him at all).

And yes, I’d expect 2 of Benter, Cox and Burgess to RS next season…if not all 3.

while I love Gillis, him and Catchings as incoming recruits are nowhere near each other (207 to 39). Catchings is projected first round already and a RS would not interest him (don’t blame him at all).

And yes, I’d expect 2 of Benter, Cox and Burgess to RS next season…if not all 3.
Right. I don’t think that the redshirts with come from Catchings or Harris. Despite what was said earlier, to my eyes Jacobsen would benefit from a year to add strength/weight. My gut says that Bentor redshirts because of depth at his position. Cox may play if he is Smith’s backup, but could redshirt if Harris claims that role. Burgess might redshirt depending on where he lands on the depth chart. To your point, I agree that 3 redshirts is a possibility.

Reactions: Roeder
Man them and IU have completely different teams from last year and it’ll be the same thing next year. I hope somehow we can keep doing what we are doing and be successful still.

Different team, yes.

4 starters back, two moving to the bench is some backbone of continuity in comparison to Illinois and other big turnover roster teams.

I have watched Burgess on film and I think he could battle for minutes at the 4/5. He is a great compliment to TKR on the block because he can shoot from outside.

I also think Cox and Harris have size/strength combo to be competitors for minutes this year.

Hopefully, the summer workouts and trip (haven't heard where we are going) gives Painter enough of an idea on best lineup combos to make this team work.

Said it many times, this could be one of the fastest tempo teams we have had under Painter. There are some scouts who talked about Braden playing to Edey's strength the past 2 years and year 3, is the Braden show from when he played in high school. He is going to get out and run and doesn't have to worry about Edey getting to the block.

Different team, yes.

4 starters back, two moving to the bench is some backbone of continuity in comparison to Illinois and other big turnover roster teams.
Cupps won’t see the floor and Galloway comes back for a fifth year and is Benched and will be 6-9th man off the bench. So not sure how the continuity will be there. It’s a brand new team for IU with guys expecting big minutes from their previous team and we will see how they gel/if they can shoot

I have watched Burgess on film and I think he could battle for minutes at the 4/5. He is a great compliment to TKR on the block because he can shoot from outside.

I also think Cox and Harris have size/strength combo to be competitors for minutes this year.

Hopefully, the summer workouts and trip (haven't heard where we are going) gives Painter enough of an idea on best lineup combos to make this team work.

Said it many times, this could be one of the fastest tempo teams we have had under Painter. There are some scouts who talked about Braden playing to Edey's strength the past 2 years and year 3, is the Braden show from when he played in high school. He is going to get out and run and doesn't have to worry about Edey getting to the block.
Yeah it’ll be the most athletic and quickest teams painter has had. Along with the shooting at all positions too.

I really like burgess, too. Saw him take it coast to coast multiple times and dunk at the other end and also can hit threes and is Cincinnati grown , so he’s a dawg. Hope he can see the floor. Cox and Harris are going to give us some hard nosed defense at the guard position we haven’t had for quite some time.

Excited to see Braden perform just as well as this past year and ppl outside of Purdue not understand how.

I think Purdue can only do those team trips every 3 or 4 years.

Right. I don’t think that the redshirts with come from Catchings or Harris. Despite what was said earlier, to my eyes Jacobsen would benefit from a year to add strength/weight. My gut says that Bentor redshirts because of depth at his position. Cox may play if he is Smith’s backup, but could redshirt if Harris claims that role. Burgess might redshirt depending on where he lands on the depth chart. To your point, I agree that 3 redshirts is a possibility.
Having 2 would definitely balance out the scholarship count per class, although not sure that will matter long term in the transfer Era.

I personally think 3 would be too many. I think Cox will be needed as extra PG depth. Sure Harris can play point, but I think Jones role beside Smith and Loyer is his best fit. Benter and Burgess/or Jacobson would be my guess.

I don't think 3 of the 6 redshirt as that will limit CMP to a 10-man rotation and only a 10-man rotation. With Furst, Waddell, and Berg as part of that 10. Especially early in the season, I wouldn't expect that to happen. I'd say at most 2, and more likely 1 redshirts.

I don't think 3 of the 6 redshirt as that will limit CMP to a 10-man rotation and only a 10-man rotation. With Furst, Waddell, and Berg as part of that 10. Especially early in the season, I wouldn't expect that to happen. I'd say at most 2, and more likely 1 redshirts.
Given the lack of transfer announcements, 3 redshirts actually leaves an 11 man rotation, but I agree that 2 is more likely.

So from what I have seen, at first I was like huh?? Why???

And then with each highlight that kept coming out…he looked better and better. He doesn’t have the handles Chet had/has but other parts are a bit similar….He’s def not our typical 7 footer we have ever had.

He is an aggressive shot blocker and quick release from 3 (see below)…especially for a 7 footer. Can run the floor well and guard the PnR (well at least the HS guards so far). He’s an absolute great get and I’m curious to see how much time he will get next year…not sure if conditioning. He has the potential to be very good. Also, like oldboiler said…his younger bro is a 6’10 soph that hopefully we can sign once his bro leaves us after 2-3 years.

What’s crazy is that EVERYONE on our team can shoot the 3/has an outside shot. Gonna be fun to watch what offense we run next year….hope paint steals some of that UConn action and uses it.
That release was really fast. Crazy fast. Especially for a 7 footer. This is gonna be a fun ride for a while.

The only thing that worries me about next years team is TKR and free throws. If he is getting 30 minutes a game he better bring up that free throw % or it might cost us a few games.

The only thing that worries me about next years team is TKR and free throws. If he is getting 30 minutes a game he better bring up that free throw % or it might cost us a few games.

Agree on that. He will either work to better that to a respectable level or it will hurt his minutes.

But to say that is the only thing, is a bit optimistic. Got a lot of unproven guys that will have to be counted on for both minutes and production. Typically that doesn't come without a few bumps in the road.

Reactions: DrEss
I see your point, but this assumes we are running something similar to what we did with Zach and honestly, I don't think that will be the case and we'll be much more fluid and run n gun as it were.

But.. FTs are always a legit concern .. for the entire team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT