ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly - what's the point?

Jan 25, 2014
So I guess I'm old now (I graduated from Purdue in 1998). Ever since I became a Purdue fan in the 80's and all the way up to a year or two ago - the goal every year in college football was to win as many games as possible during the season in order to earn the right to play in the most prestigious bowl game u could and once u earned the right to play in that game - u played your heart out to win that bowl game.

But now any player that plans to play in the NFL just elects to not play in the bowl game. This past year - I didn't even watch our bowl game for the first time ever because I knew our 4 or 5 best players wouldn't even be playing. So it wasn't even going to be our Purdue team on the field. I'm glad I skipped it because as we know they got blasted by like 60 pts.

Soooo - if we no longer care about the bowl games - what is the point of playing the regular season games any more? I suppose maybe it's to try to win the conference?? I want to get excited about our team this year (although wk 1 was sure deflating) and in the years ahead - I just don't understand what the goal is any more.

So I guess I'm old now (I graduated from Purdue in 1998). Ever since I became a Purdue fan in the 80's and all the way up to a year or two ago - the goal every year in college football was to win as many games as possible during the season in order to earn the right to play in the most prestigious bowl game u could and once u earned the right to play in that game - u played your heart out to win that bowl game.

But now any player that plans to play in the NFL just elects to not play in the bowl game. This past year - I didn't even watch our bowl game for the first time ever because I knew our 4 or 5 best players wouldn't even be playing. So it wasn't even going to be our Purdue team on the field. I'm glad I skipped it because as we know they got blasted by like 60 pts.

Soooo - if we no longer care about the bowl games - what is the point of playing the regular season games any more? I suppose maybe it's to try to win the conference?? I want to get excited about our team this year (although wk 1 was sure deflating) and in the years ahead - I just don't understand what the goal is any more.
NIL and players not playing in bowl games has ruined college football

I agree 100%. I just try to enjoy each game. The reality is that the Fresno State game was more relevant than any bowl game Purdue will play in this year.

Going to a 12-team playoff format in 2024-2025 will give a team like Purdue some hope. I doubt Purdue would ever contend in a four-team playoff format, but I could see us fighting for a spot in a 12-team format every 7 or 8 years. At that point other bowls will truly be meaningless.

I agree 100%. I just try to enjoy each game. The reality is that the Fresno State game was more relevant than any bowl game Purdue will play in this year.

Going to a 12-team playoff format in 2024-2025 will give a team like Purdue some hope. I doubt Purdue would ever contend in a four-team playoff format, but I could see us fighting for a spot in a 12-team format every 7 or 8 years. At that point other bowls will truly be meaningless.
Good point. Maybe playoff will eventually get to a 16-team playoff. Or even 32 teams. Each game in the tourney could be advertised as such and such "bowl" game backed by what ever corporation (just like bowl games are now). And then just do away with the normal bowl games. Make every game in the tourney serve as a bowl game. ???

And that Fresno state game was enjoyable to watch. A great game! You're right.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
Good point. Maybe playoff will eventually get to a 16-team playoff. Or even 32 teams. Each game in the tourney could be advertised as such and such "bowl" game backed by what ever corporation (just like bowl games are now). And then just do away with the normal bowl games. Make every game in the tourney serve as a bowl game. ???

And that Fresno state game was enjoyable to watch. A great game! You're right.
The games gonna change alot more imo. Conference alignments go away and it's gonna be a tier system. Maybe they use the bowls as a playoff system for the top 32 or something

Yeah I'm thinking 12 teams is just kind of the beginning for the playoffs. Get rid of the silly conference championship games and add an extra round.

As far as bowl games. Yes, those have definitely changed in signifance. Pretty much have to look at them as a practice game for the next season.

The games gonna change alot more imo. Conference alignments go away and it's gonna be a tier system. Maybe they use the bowls as a playoff system for the top 32 or something
I would love to see a 32 team playoff. Scrap the conference ships and have the first few rounds on college campuses. Then when you get down to final 8 you hold them at those New Years locations. There is so much time between the IU game and our bowl game anyway so why not make it interesting if you get in? Could also help prevent opt outs but who knows.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I don't think it works unless the higher seeded teams play at home. Do you really see Bama fans traveling to the Pinstripe bowl against Maryland or some other cannon fodder for the 1st round? Attendance is often terrible at the bowl games now.

Heavy hitters aren't going to those, saving money for the Semis & Finals.

Maybe byes for the top 4 or 8?

Unless you are some kind of depraved commie, you really need a new username as a Purdue fan.

How about "Better Dead than Red" ?

Well, I guess we won't be playing in the BCS!

This loss may have knocked us out of a bowl game in a cold climate against a team worse than Syracuse, a month after the seasons over, with half our starters opting out. Back to the original post these preseason games mean nothing for a team like Purdue. We just need to enjoy them (or not) on a stand-alone basis, they have no impact on Purdue's success or lack of success during the B1G season and anything meaningful that is likely to follow.

Well, I guess we won't be playing in the BCS!

This loss may have knocked us out of a bowl game in a cold climate against a team worse than Syracuse, a month after the seasons over, with half our starters opting out. Back to the original post these preseason games mean nothing for a team like Purdue. We just need to enjoy them (or not) on a stand-alone basis, they have no impact on Purdue's success or lack of success during the B1G season and anything meaningful that is likely to follow.
spot on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT