ADVERTISEMENT

Heysoos Christo.....Give Painter a friggin break

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
He turned it around this year with some pretty damned good players....young,and good. He recruited the hell out of Swanigan, more than any other coach. He lost out to Izzo which means Crean and Zo and Miller and Cal and a hell of a lot of other coaches missed out on Swanigan too. He was never Purdue's to get, and his "handler$" took what they thought wa$ the be$t deal for them and Caleb. $hit happen$ folk$.

PU has a great nucleus of returning players...AJ will return...who will be a year older and smarter. He has Cline coming in whom some on here say is the best shooter in the state. He has more of a recruiting budget, the team played PU basketball.

And he loses a recruit who bought the M$U story.

Be thankful for what you have and quit moaning about what PU never had anyway.

Kids don't want to work hard anymore, and CS is most likely one of those.

That's complete BS to accuse MSU of cheating. You put money signs out there in your quotes. MSU didn't cheat. Matt can't recruit a player of that stature. Just FACT!!!!

Originally posted by TJBoiler:
That's complete BS to accuse MSU of cheating. You put money signs out there in your quotes. MSU didn't cheat. Matt can't recruit a player of that stature. Just FACT!!!!
I didn't accuse anyone of cheating though I think MSU stretches the rules of the game once in awhile.

To be honest, we didn't recruit Swanigan when we knew we didn't have a chance and put all the eggs in the Bryant basket which worked out for IU.

Another worthless thread. Painter can't compete with the Izzo's of the world. Name one recruit he beat Izzo for?

Originally posted by cprh9u:
Another worthless thread. Painter can't compete with the Izzo's of the world. Name one recruit he beat Izzo for?
A worthless thread is one where people bitch about something they never had. Purdue never had him.

IUBtown.....nice try!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: Think it's pretty clear how you feel

Originally posted by BuilderBob6:
Give it a rest.
Why should I give it a rest? Am I not allowed to say POSITIVE things regarding Painter and the team? Get over your hatred of Painter and enjoy the ride.

I agree with twin,I think Painter has done a good job this year. If our recruit from Carmel had verbal to IU he would have been Mr. Basketball.

C'mon Twin, keep up. Didn't reply to you.
Sorry Bob. I'm not a Purdue grad, and became a Purdue fan when I realized that IU was going the wrong way with their program, and somewhere I didn't want to go. My late wife as you may know was a die-hard Boiler and put up with a lot of my IU bullchit over the years, and when PU hired Painter whom my oldest kid played against in HS, I liked what he said and did. When he booted two or three kids that were problems in his early years, I knew he was a keeper.

He had a couple of years after the divorce where life went upside down, as it sometimes does, but he's now back on track and getting kids like AJ, Haas, Edwards, and others on this team such as Taylor who are going to and are turning it around is a great stride forward.

I understand totally the frustrations of some on here because many of us who were IU fans, suffered the same feelings when Knight was fired. There is no similarity in what PU did in hiring a PU guy, and what IU did and has done since firing a legend. Purdue did the right thing in bringing Matt back to Purdue, and he's won every where he's been.

The incessant whining by four or five to FIRE PAINTER for every loss, or every missed player sounds too much like those on the "other" forum who continually bash anything Knight related....they really do. Instead of celebrating a very good season for the Boilers, and a very solid coaching job by Matt and the staff and the players, they're bashing incessantly every little thing. My guess is someone pisses in their oatmeal every day.

I'll say it again, as an "outsider", West Lafayette is not a destination as those calling for Painter's head tend to think and to believe someone like a K, a Bo, a Donovan, a Smart (Texas made a huge mistake in hiring him) or even a Miller would drop everything to come here is pure balderdash.

And I'll say one more thing...some $chool$ do offer more thing$ than Purdue does, and that's another thing I like about Painter and his program....he's not out making promises to players he can't, and won't keep. I'll wager good money the player's parking in Lexington, MSU, Arizona, Florida, and even our in-state rivals have better and more expensive cars than does PU. I'll leave it to others to figure out why.

I hate schools that are dirty, and I'm sure there's a ton and I'd hate to see PU become just another one of those.

I'm on your side

I'm an admitted Painter apologist. I like team basketball with an emphasis on defense. I like his honesty with recruits. I like his "practice hard or don't play" philosophy.

Admittedly, his style works against us with some recruits......and it is harder for us to be successful in march because of it. I'm OK with that. Some want to win at all costs. They are going to be disappointed for a long time. One only has to look at the conservative Purdue philosophy. It's not going to change.

This is like complaining we can't compete with Urban Meyer in football recruiting.

We don't need to be at that level. We've shown we can readily compete with the top of the Big Ten playing our style for quite sometime. And quite frankly, we have more overall talent on our team now than we did with the Baby Boilers. But it's not apples to apples. The Baby Boilers did not resurrect a program - we went to the tourney before them. And we had some experienced and gritty players when they arrived.

Do we need to maintain solid recruiting? Sure. But to act like there's just no way we can do well with the style we have now is absurd. We've already won the Big Ten doing so with one of the youngest coaches in the Big Ten.

Re: I'm on your side

Admittedly, his style works against us with some recruits......and it is harder for us to be successful in march because of it. I'm OK with that. Some want to win at all costs. They are going to be disappointed for a long time. One only has to look at the conservative Purdue philosophy. It's not going to change.
You're OK with failing in March??

Huh?? What's the point if we're just going to fail?? To "Play Hard" and come up short year in and year out??

I for one would like some E8s and FFs and God forbid a Natty by the time I'm 6-ft deep!! (37 yo) Part of me is leaning towards the dark side RE recruiting etc.

Goddammit I want the best, and I want to win!!! Get Worldwide Wes a suite to himself at Mackey and 25 Goldusters!!!

Anyway, I think all this postseason recruiting stuff is starting to rot my brain.

as long as we can get 4 star guys and get them to play as a team, I'll be alright w/ it. As far as msu, don't know about the $ thing but I believe their post season success plays a big part in some of these recruits decisions. What's a little disappointing to me is his "handler" is an ex Purdue player, come on .

Bob I can only guess you are a pin head :) are you saying teams that recruit successfully are not honest?
Are you saying teams that recruit successfully don't play hard?
is it win at any costs or have a crummy coach like Matt ?

We are disappoint because when Matt resigned his contract he said he was here to win a National Championship.

The only thing Matt seems successful at is having homer fans like you state the following:
If we lose a recruit the other team cheated (it is NEVER Matt)
Next years recruits will make all the difference, look at how Cline has now been elevated to Rick Mount status.
Of course we do not need a point guard we have guys with high basketball IQ's
Matt has a plan and we are too stupid to understand it.

If you cannot recruit at a high level you have no right being at a program with high level expectations and getting paid high level money.

My favorite is look at the turn around Matt achieved last year....well we would not have a turn around if Matt did not drive the team to the bottom with his poor recruiting. Matt lost his best point guard recruit in some time this year and just whiffed on his supposed #1 target AGAIN. Should we make a list of the whiffs for you. Zero wins and all whiffs.

You sound like you used to live in Fowler Courts.....

uilderBob6 posted on 4/11/2015...
I'm an admitted Painter apologist. I like team basketball with an emphasis on defense. I like his honesty with recruits. I like his "practice hard or don't play" philosophy.

Losing recruits doesn't bother me. Losing players every year does.

Originally posted by Cleanface:

Did I say that? That's the damn problem with half you people......most of the people on these boards.

I'll say it s l o w l y. I'm ok with his honest approach with recruits. We won't get some great recruits because of that approach.......in turn, that will hurt us in March.......because we will miss on some great recruits. We will have to be successful with 3 and 4 stars.......until we have long runs in March we won't get the burger boys.

Originally posted by BuilderBob
Did I say that? That's the damn problem with half you people......most of the people on these boards.

I'll say it s l o w l y. I'm ok with his honest approach with recruits. We won't get some great recruits because of that approach.......in turn, that will hurt us in March.......because we will miss on some great recruits. We will have to be successful with 3 and 4 stars.......until we have long runs in March we won't get the burger boys.
Bob, I think just the opposite might be true with Painter's honest approach. I've gone through the recruitment process with both my sons, and I've done it as a coach. Kid's know lies when they hear them, they respect the truth even if the style of play doesn't suit them.

I believe even have Bryson leave will be in CMP's favor with recruits because he tells kids that you have t come in and work your ass off to get playing time, and by losing players who don't do what they agreed to do, it show's Painter's resolve.

Originally posted by Cleanface:

Congrats, you made less sense when you said it slowly.

If you think Bryson leaving and CJ Walker dropping his commitment is somehow going to be a positive then I totally disagree. Losing someone who was lazy like Lawson is one thing. Losing a kid before you even sign him speaks volumes. Kids talk and I have to believe there is a lot of negative talk about Painter.

^^Heller makes a great point. Kids talk, more so now than ever. It will be interesting to see who Purdue lands for the 2016 - I'm a little worried.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT