ADVERTISEMENT

Harrison Ingram to Stanford.....Who up next?

You mean “ is NOW playing for the Celtics” right? I don’t get your perspective.

You dismissed all of the reasons put forth For Ingram going to Stanford by others without any logic or reasons for your dismissal. I guess those ideas just don’t fit your view of the universe. That means your perspective is relatively an outlier and unsustainable in any sort of logical discussion. Too bad your Purdue degree left you so unprepared for this world. It’s embarrassing.

So, by your logic, why doesn't the Univ of Miami have a powerhouse basketball team and a top 5 recruiting class every year? After all, it checks off all the requirements for getting great recruits:
- great school,
-great academics,
-great weather
-great location
-beaches
-diverse student body
- nightlife
-;ots of hot girls, etc, etc., etc.....
it seems to be that 5 star recruits would be lined up waiting to get in.

I would agree with that, but we also need McDonald's AA to win a national championship. It's no coincidence that 40 out of the last 42 national champions have had a McDonald's AA. It doesn't sound great on the Kaufman front. I do think Ivey, Morton, and Furst are an upgrade in talent.

Agree as well.
There's a direct correlation between talent and tourney success. Does Purdue get good talent? Yes. Do they get excellent coaching, yes. But, when they face more talented players who are also getting excellent coaching, the better talent usually (yes, there are exceptions) rises to the top.

So the “best possible” recruiting pitch is that a player from your state (2nd most populated state in the country) who you in no way resemble had a great run with us and now sits on the bench in the NBA. Ok

You're obviously not in sales......The pitch is that Carsen proved that if you have the talent and can produce, Painter will give you the freedom to do so. The offense will run through you and you'll be able to showcase your skills in a big time league against big time competition.

You're obviously not in sales......The pitch is that Carsen proved that if you have the talent and can produce, Painter will give you the freedom to do so. The offense will run through you and you'll be able to showcase your skills in a big time league against big time competition.
Ok. You’re going to stick with your statement that’s the ‘best possible’ pitch that any coach could offer?

Reactions: Level 42
Ok. You’re going to stick with your statement that’s the ‘best possible’ pitch that any coach could offer?

That was somewhat tongue in cheek, but you had a fellow Texan who came to Purdue and was the talk of the tourney. That's a pretty good "Hey, you could be that guy to...." opportunity to promote.

Reactions: Schnelk
So, by your logic, why doesn't the Univ of Miami have a powerhouse basketball team and a top 5 recruiting class every year? After all, it checks off all the requirements for getting great recruits:
- great school,
-great academics,
-great weather
-great location
-beaches
-diverse student body
- nightlife
-;ots of hot girls, etc, etc., etc.....
it seems to be that 5 star recruits would be lined up waiting to get in.
It's far more than that, but to your point, when Miami had a good coach, they attracted great talent.

My point, lest it get lost, was that if all things coach-like are equal, then the facilities, campus, and academics swing the decision. I think Painter can get to the "equal" point with most recruits. We just don't have the facilities, campus beauty, or (against Stanford) the academics to win that battle.

It's far more than that, but to your point, when Miami had a good coach, they attacted grea talent.

But, wait....I thought the coach didn't matter? I didn't think a coach could over come all those other challenges and attract top talent to places like East Lansing, Philadelphia, Syracuse, Louisville, etc, etc. etc.

Good God, please read my post...

When all things are equal, then the environmental advantages factor into the decision.

I'm done with trying to help you past your hardon against Matt Painter. I recommend you adopt more sophisticated thinking with regard to this general subject of recruiting. If you did, you might appear more intelligent than you do now.

When all things are equal, then the environmental advantages factor into the decision.

I'm done with trying to help you past your hardon against Matt Painter. I recommend you adopt more sophisticated thinking with regard to this general subject of recruiting. If you did, you might appear more intelligent than you do now.
It's been pounded in to his head time after time and he just doesn't get it. I mean you would think with all of his recruiting prowess and experience and recruiting at the college level, he'd be doing it for a living somewhere instead of just regurgitating his nonsense on an internet forum.

It's far more than that, but to your point, when Miami had a good coach, they attracted great talent.

My point, lest it get lost, was that if all things coach-like are equal, then the facilities, campus, and academics swing the decision. I think Painter can get to the "equal" point with most recruits. We just don't have the facilities, campus beauty, or (against Stanford) the academics to win that battle.

That's 100% false. The biggest influence on where a kid goes is the coach. Period. End of story.
All things coach-like are never equal. It's like saying "all NFL QBs are equal" simply because they're good enough to play in the NFL.
Do facilities, etc, and all that have some impact on the decision? Of course, but they all come well behind the HC.

Here's a really interesting link that demonstrates how much more support the Purdue Bball program has than Stanford (yet Stanford has landed 2 5 stars in 2 years.......).
There's a reason TV commentators consider Mackey a Top 5 home court nationwide.
In 2020, Purdue averaged 14,800 fans per home game.
Care to guess how many Stanford averaged?
How about Baylor? Vandy? or Oregon (all schools who have landed 5 stars recently)

Can you name one great basketball player from the Univ of Miami (without Google)?

That's 100% false. The biggest influence on where a kid goes is the coach. Period. End of story.
All things coach-like are never equal. It's like saying "all NFL QBs are equal" simply because they're good enough to play in the NFL.
Do facilities, etc, and all that have some impact on the decision? Of course, but they all come well behind the HC.

Here's a really interesting link that demonstrates how much more support the Purdue Bball program has than Stanford (yet Stanford has landed 2 5 stars in 2 years.......).
How about Baylor? Vandy? or Oregon (all schools who have landed 5 stars recently)

We need Shaka, amirite?

Things are never 'equal'

Reactions: Inspector100
Except that they aren't as has been linked to you many times on here. You choosing to ignore or just be flat out naïve about it them, doesn't make it less of a fact. Period. End of story.

Edit: In fact, here is yet another article that proves you are wrong: https://usatodayhss.com/2018/choosing-a-college-the-most-important-factors-for-athletes

Pay particular attention to the bolded line: Don’t choose a college based only on the coach

So your statements on recruiting are based not on anything factual, just your very limited opinion on how it all works. And as proven, time and time again you are way off on how it all works. and what goes in to deciding on where to play basketball. You're stuck in how things used to be, but now how things are or have been for some time now. It's time for you to come to terms with that and work your way in to the present.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a thread where Wole and Lenny take opposite sides and square off. Well maybe I wouldn't.

Reactions: Level 42
Except that they aren't as has been linked to you many times on here. You choosing to ignore or just be flat out naïve about it them, doesn't make it less of a fact. Period. End of story.

Edit: In fact, here is yet another article that proves you are wrong: https://usatodayhss.com/2018/choosing-a-college-the-most-important-factors-for-athletes

Pay particular attention to the bolded line: Don’t choose a college based only on the coach

So your statements on recruiting are based not on anything factual, just your very limited opinion on how it all works. And as proven, time and time again you are way off on how it all works. and what goes in to deciding on where to play basketball. You're stuck in how things used to be, but now how things are or have been for some time now. It's time for you to come to terms with that and work your way in to the present.

Read the article. I don't think you can equate what a low level recruit pitcher advises from a recruiting perspective compared to a 5 star big time basketball recruit who has realistic expectations to only be in school 1 or 2 years then sign a multi-million $ contract.
I'm still waiting to hear why, with all the built in advantages, the Univ of Miami isn't a dominate basketball program? Or, how about USC? Clemson?
After all, they've got everything a recruit could possibly want (of course, all else being equal as you say).

https://gostanford.com/facilities

Yep but they don't show sun and palm trees. Before you tell me that doesn't matter I'm sure your decision to live in SC was influenced by location.
'
Again....if weather mattered, why doesn't the SEC dominate in basketball? How can places like MSU, UM, Cuse, Nova, OSU, etc, etc, etc, possibly recruit top talent went they can't show them the ocean, palm trees and it's cold in winter?

The big difference between me and a 5 star recruit deciding on where to live is that I was making a permanent decision. 5 Star recruits make the decision that might be for 1 or 2 years.

And what happens when the recruit gets drafted by Minnesota, Milwaukee, Cleveland or some other landlocked midwestern town where winter sucks? Do they not sign because they'd rather live in Miami or LA?

Reactions: Inspector100
'
Again....if weather mattered, why doesn't the SEC dominate in basketball? How can places like MSU, UM, Cuse, Nova, OSU, etc, etc, etc, possibly recruit top talent went they can't show them the ocean, palm trees and it's cold in winter?

The big difference between me and a 5 star recruit deciding on where to live is that I was making a permanent decision. 5 Star recruits make the decision that might be for 1 or 2 years.

And what happens when the recruit gets drafted by Minnesota, Milwaukee, Cleveland or some other landlocked midwestern town where winter sucks? Do they not sign because they'd rather live in Miami or LA?
It legitimately stuns me at how just flat out ignorant you are being over all of this. Even in the face of repeated links both presently in the past that have proven time and time again that you are out of touch and wrong.

At this point you have to just be trolling us. Even wole would of gotten it by now.

And lastly, please tell us how many 5 star players you have recruited to a major college university. With your apparent prowess and certainty of what every recruit wants, the list has to be long.

It legitimately stuns me at how just flat out ignorant you are being over all of this. Even in the face of repeated links both presently in the past that have proven time and time again that you are out of touch and wrong.

At this point you have to just be trolling us. Even wole would of gotten it by now.

And lastly, please tell us how many 5 star players you have recruited to a major college university. With your apparent prowess and certainty of what every recruit wants, the list has to be long.

Are you the one who posted the article about some D2 baseball recruit and put that up as the recruiting Bible?

But, i'm just going off the facts which are; Painter has landed 1 5 star recruit in 16 years. Purdue hasn't been to a Final Four in 40 years.

Are you the one who posted the article about some D2 baseball recruit and put that up as the recruiting Bible?

But, i'm just going off the facts which are; Painter has landed 1 5 star recruit in 16 years. Purdue hasn't been to a Final Four in 40 years.
There have been several articles shown to you every time you try and argue this.

Please list the massive amount of 5 star players you have recruited. Your credibility depends on it.

wa
There have been several articles shown to you every time you try and argue this.

Please list the massive amount of 5 star players you have recruited. Your credibility depends on it.
He's Lenny. He don't want/need/have credibility on topics re Painter, Boiler basketball, or recruiting.

Last edited:

Is your suggestion that Painter shouldn't waste time and resources on 5 star recruits because as soon as someone with better resources, better weather, palm trees and better looking girls on campus comes along, that Purdue can no longer compete?

Who do you think is going to fill the scholarship?

No idea.
What I was referring to was some posters belief that Purdue just isn't a good enough destination for 5 star recruits, so should Painter save his time and resources and not target them? The litany of excuses made by the apologists here just seem like too much to overcome when we're competing with programs that have palm trees, sunshine and hot girls on campus.

No idea.
What I was referring to was some posters belief that Purdue just isn't a good enough destination for 5 star recruits, so should Painter save his time and resources and not target them? The litany of excuses made by the apologists here just seem like too much to overcome when we're competing with programs that have palm trees, sunshine and hot girls on campus.
Not one person said "Purdue wasn't good enough to attract a 5 star". We said that there are many factors that a recruit considers when choosing a school. You fail to accept that 18 year olds do not use the same criteria that you think they should to make that choice.

Not one person said "Purdue wasn't good enough to attract a 5 star". We said that there are many factors that a recruit considers when choosing a school. You fail to accept that 18 year olds do not use the same criteria that you think they should to make that choice.

Painter has been at P for 1 years. During those 16 years, there have been approx 300 5 star recruits who he's had the ability to recruit. He's landed 1 of that entire pool (and that was a unique situation with Biggie).

Painter has been at P for 1 years. During those 16 years, there have been approx 300 5 star recruits who he's had the ability to recruit. He's landed 1 of that entire pool (and that was a unique situation with Biggie).

how many other schools have landed 1 or fewer during that time?

how many other schools have landed 1 or fewer during that time?
From 2015 to 2020 there were 44 schools who signed at least one 247 Sports Composite five star player. Out of those schools, 28 schools signed more than one five star, 7 schools signed six or more (an average of one or more per year).

Out of the 165 five star players in that period, 67% signed with schools in three conferences, the SEC (26%), ACC (24%) and Pac 12 (18%), with UK and Duke making up more than half of their conferences five stars.

10 schools in the Big Ten have signed zero five star players during that period. Michigan State and IU have each signed three, Maryland has signed two, Purdue one. That means zero to Ohio State, zero to Michigan, zero to Wisconsin, zero to Illinois during that period.

'

Did LeBron stay in Cleveland? Did Kareem stay in Milwaukee? Did Paul George stay in Indy? Want me to keep going ?

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT