ADVERTISEMENT

"Great" coaches in the NCAA

Maybe...maybe not. And again, a lot would depend on how far in the tourney they progressed. Last year looked like a sure trip to the finals and then Haas went down, yet we're not getting inundated by big men wanting to come to PU. It would certainly validate CMP, but unless he hires that lock down recruiter, they're not coming.
Sure trip to the finals?! You realize we would have had to play Villanova after TT, right?

You think it's likely we go 12-6 in conference?
I think that 11-7 or 12-6 is a distinct possibility....and I'd guess 12-6. Right now, we're 1-1 with a loss and a win to two ranked teams. Meetchicken may be one of the two best teams in all of college basketball. We have 9 remaining games at home. So yeah, I think with the two cupcakes before Iowa, I think 12-6 is very possible once the offense starts jelling.

I think that 11-7 or 12-6 is a distinct possibility....and I'd guess 12-6. Right now, we're 1-1 with a loss and a win to two ranked teams. Meetchicken may be one of the two best teams in all of college basketball. We have 9 remaining games at home. So yeah, I think with the two cupcakes before Iowa, I think 12-6 is very possible once the offense starts jelling.
Possible? maybe. Likely? no.

Our offense needs to change, and I don't see that happening. Outside of Nojel, our defense has actually been abysmal.

This is what I have for our remaining conference games:

Iowa - W
@MSU - L
@Wiscy - L
Rutgers - W
IU - W
@OSU - L
MSU - L
@PSU - W
Min - W
Neb - W
@Maryland - L
PSU - W
@IU - L
@Neb - L
Ill - W
OSU - L
@Min - L
@NW - W

LOL there were so many posters on this board that were saying this team was going to be just as good as l

one thing I have learned is that many people can't make reasonable projections. They either ask for absolute evidence, which is impossible since we are talking about the future, or they rely on their emotions. (e.g. part in bold below)
What if....just for shits and giggles...we say PU goes .750 in conference. You happy then?
Absolute no way, we go 0.750 in conference this year. No freaking way.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Possible? maybe. Likely? no.

Our offense needs to change, and I don't see that happening. Outside of Nojel, our defense has actually been abysmal.

This is what I have for our remaining conference games:

Iowa - W
@MSU - L
@Wiscy - L
Rutgers - W
IU - W
@OSU - L
MSU - L
@PSU - W
Min - W
Neb - W
@Maryland - L
PSU - W
@IU - L
@Neb - L
Ill - W
OSU - L
@Min - L
@NW - W
Okay, I'll play:

Iowa - W
@MSU - L
@Wiscy - W
Rutgers - W
IU - W

@OSU - L
MSU - W
@PSU - L
Min - W
Neb - W
@Maryland - W
PSU - W

@IU - L
@Neb - L
Ill - W
OSU - L
@Min - W
@NW - W

12-6.

Reactions: BoilerIron
one thing I have learned is that many people can't make reasonable projections. They either ask for absolute evidence, which is impossible since we are talking about the future, or they rely on their emotions. (e.g. part in bold below)

Absolute no way, we go 0.750 in conference this year. No freaking way.
Are you hoping they don't?

Only if the hate semi negative painter comments get ends.
Those defensive responses are out of our control. Neither you nor I can change that. Purdue people are going to defend their coach. However, most mature people can and do control how they react to external events. Perhaps my expectations are too high for you to meet?

Two things are now apparent:
  1. Your board-wide whine-fest is based on your personal need to get some sort of revenge for some imagined insults.
  2. You are displaying your level of maturity for all to see when you respond by essentially saying that "they have to stop first". They are not going to.

Sorry, but I tend to side with the people who defend our coach. Yes, I agree that we need to do better recruiting. Yep, so what? I don't need to emotionally bleed all over this board like you and Bonehead have been doing, pissing on every thread.

Those defensive responses are out of our control. Neither you nor I can change that. Purdue people are going to defend their coach. However, most mature people can and do control how they react to external events. Perhaps my expectations are too high for you to meet?

Two things are now apparent:
  1. Your board-wide whine-fest is based on your personal need to get some sort of revenge for some imagined insults.
  2. You are displaying your level of maturity for all to see when you respond by essentially saying that "they have to stop first". They are not going to.

Sorry, but I tend to side with the people who defend our coach. Yes, I agree that we need to do better recruiting. Yep, so what? I don't need to emotionally bleed all over this board like you and Bonehead have been doing, pissing on every thread.
Lol you say I need to be more mature, then you call Bonefish, "Bonehead".

Let's start now to see if you can handle a negative opinion.

Based on the way the team has played so far and looking at our Big Ten schedule, I'm of the opinion that we miss the tournament this year. I also believe we miss the tournament next year, because our our recruiting class is weak, IMO. In that case, it is my opinion that we move on from Painter and hire someone outside of the Purdue family.

Based on the way the team has played so far and looking at our Big Ten schedule, I'm of the opinion that we miss the tournament this year. I also believe we miss the tournament next year, because our our recruiting class is weak, IMO. In that case, it is my opinion that we move on from Painter and hire someone outside of the Purdue family.
That’s a fine opinion to have, it’s the repetition that seems insecure.

Will the offense start jelling (obviously besides Carsen) is a big question. I hope so.

Actually, I think what's insecure is the fact that some on here can't handle the truth or criticism of the current staff.
The valid opinions are fine, it's in how you deliver it. I would counter that some on here can't handle their criticisms being refuted and are instantly triggered because they have entirely too much emotion wrapped up in a sport they can't even play.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The valid opinions are fine, it's in how you deliver it. I would counter that some on here can't handle their criticisms being refuted and are instantly triggered because they have entirely too much emotion wrapped up in a sport they can't even play.

Who decides what's valid? And since when did you have to play the game to have a valid opinion? I agree that emotion is not a valid argument to anything. But there have been valid criticisms/opinions posted here that get subjected to emotional rants from individuals that can't handle it. So it goes both ways.

Who decides what's valid? And since when did you have to play the game to have a valid opinion? I agree that emotion is not a valid argument to anything. But there have been valid criticisms/opinions posted here that get subjected to emotional rants from individuals that can't handle it. So it goes both ways.
It's basically the pot and kettle at this point. You're complaining about people complaining about how posts are done in related to what you post.

As far as not playing or playing, it goes a long way to supporting the notion of firing a coach or demanding a certain player start over another. I mean it's like someone telling a Doctor how to do their job without having the experience to do so but read something online about it.

It's why I don't get in to the whole thing really because I know that the coaching staff knows more than me and anyone else on here about the game let alone how to coach a Division one team. Again it's fine to be critical of a coach because none of them are perfect, but when you do it in such a manner that is pretty much only trashing him or a player based on your unfounded emotional opinion, then there is much less credibility there.

Oh and I have the same opinion in regards to those that are overly emotional in defending Painter like Boiledsteel. So yes it does go both ways.

But lastly I also fail to see the point to be so worked up about a game that none of us play or have played at this level. The only one as I said that has a smidgen of credibility is Treed because she is as close as you can get to the whole thing than any of us are. And as has been posted by many, Painter isn't going anywhere any time soon. So what is the point of trashing him, the players and the program instead of just supporting the team and enjoying the game? It really serves no purpose other than internet banter.

It's kind of funny really, I read the stuff on here and when I see some of the back and forth it's essentially like a long game of "I know you are but what am I" or something like that. I'm guilty of baiting people I admit that, but that is because the time of having good discussions has long passed on here for some on both sides and civil discussions are few and far between. But when they do happen, I do my best to point them out and participate.

Last edited:

Contrary to popular belief, and even I'm amazed at how similarly we think, BoilerIron and I are not the same person.
But, I believe the exact same thing: Likely to miss the tourney the next 3 years.
That'll be 18 years for Painter. When is it long enough?

Contrary to popular belief, and even I'm amazed at how similarly we think, BoilerIron and I are not the same person.
But, I believe the exact same thing: Likely to miss the tourney the next 3 years.
That'll be 18 years for Painter. When is it long enough?

.........and you don't know that

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Your revenge? Weird. I would have thought your desire would have been to be wrong about your prediction. Instead, your tantrum on here is all about some sort of personal revenge.

You understand that we have to play the games with the players we have right now? This is our team out there. Sometimes you have to play the game with the cards in your hand, and nobody at the table likes to hear you whine about getting a bad hand.
I scratch my head when the negatroids thump their chests and crow when they say the team would be awful and then we lose a few games. Then they whine how mistreated they were because others didn't join them in their doom-and-gloom.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT