ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread 11/14/21 - vs Western Michigan (BTN at 2:30)

Purdue 70
Western Michigan 62
FINAL

Game wasn't as close as the final score as the entire second half was pretty much played with a double-digit margin that stretched beyond 20 at one point I believe.

Well not quite the second half that it was the first but still left a smile on my face watching these young women play today.
Encouraging to hear that postgame interview with CKG also. I think she said 3 or 4 times, "Day 59. We'll get better."

They did many good things today but you can just tell she's focused on trying to get this team to play at a higher level. The ceiling for this team may not be Big Ten Championship level but she's going to try to squeeze every last ounce of potential out of it.

Last edited:
Watched about half the game, NFL is still my choice of watch lol. Anyway, Kyle, Madison, Terry, Ellis all looked solid, Oriyomi looks to be a player as well, same with Smith. Good win on to Illinois State!

Very pleased about how hard this team plays. And the unafraid style they play. Yes, the second half was shoddy after a truly solid first half, but I am guessing Katie knew she could win this game and wanted some significant minutes for her back up players, which she got. Tho it was only an 8 point win, they were never really threatened. W mich is not a great team, but they were experienced with 10 players back and a coach with some cred. I think the most impressive things for me were: 1) Kyle's really fine play and scoring. They are using her. She has been bashed some on here, but I think it had to do with how she was handled last year. Given chances she rose to the occasion; 2) Ellis is hardnosed and an assist machine; 3) Layton is truly a star; 4) the freewheeling style and crisp passing has ignited Hardin. Last year she only shot when heavily guarded. When she is not, she is deadly and she is not taking those guarded shots; 5) Smith missed a couple of layups, but has star written all over her. They will struggle in the rugged BT, but this team is fun to watch for sure.
P.S. I like the NFl too, but the Bears were in a bye. This year probably better to watch our women's team than that pro mess.

Very pleased about how hard this team plays. And the unafraid style they play. Yes, the second half was shoddy after a truly solid first half, but I am guessing Katie knew she could win this game and wanted some significant minutes for her back up players, which she got. Tho it was only an 8 point win, they were never really threatened. W mich is not a great team, but they were experienced with 10 players back and a coach with some cred. I think the most impressive things for me were: 1) Kyle's really fine play and scoring. They are using her. She has been bashed some on here, but I think it had to do with how she was handled last year. Given chances she rose to the occasion; 2) Ellis is hardnosed and an assist machine; 3) Layton is truly a star; 4) the freewheeling style and crisp passing has ignited Hardin. Last year she only shot when heavily guarded. When she is not, she is deadly and she is not taking those guarded shots; 5) Smith missed a couple of layups, but has star written all over her. They will struggle in the rugged BT, but this team is fun to watch for sure.
P.S. I like the NFl too, but the Bears were in a bye. This year probably better to watch our women's team than that pro mess.
Much different looking team than last year. Thank God!!!

Fun game to watch... the behind the back shot off glass by Cassidy Hardin was highlight reel stuff. Madison looked like a star. I'm a believer in Ellis now, she really showed me something yesterday. And that was by far the best game for Kyle in her time at Purdue. Katie is 2-0 now and she says they're going to keep getting better ya'all. Good stuff.

Reactions: DocRon
I became so tired of seeing four girls standing around and one girl trying to go one-on-one. That was the Christy Curry offense, and it seemed to carry on through Versyp. However, during the later years of Versyp, the girls didn't seem to even care about the game. Without some sort of high end player that succeed in the one-on-one offense, we got nowhere. No wonder we had trouble recruiting.

Now the team moves and is much more dynamic. They look enthusiastic and like they are having fun. So much better!

I saw they had 14 turnovers. Not great but better than Versyp’s normal 20-30.
Just continue improving.

At least 3 of those were illegal screens. Still turnovers but I categorize those differently than turnovers resulting from throwing the ball to your opposition or out of bounds. The one on Layden was the one call all game that CKG seemed to have a big problem with. The two on Woltman were probably legit as I don't think she stayed set long enough on her screen.

If I didn’t gamble your 100% correct, between fantasy football and FanDuel stuff my hobby is NFL Sunday’s lol. I did watch about a half, I was impressed with Kyle, her and Madison for Soph’s are a nice building block. Also, surprised Moore doesn’t play much right now.

Looks like right now Coach is going with a 7 player rotation with Woltman and Moore being used as the 8 and 9’s battling for more minutes. Moore is surprising, I figured she’d be a day 1 starter, still might be later on I guess.

Looks like right now Coach is going with a 7 player rotation with Woltman and Moore being used as the 8 and 9’s battling for more minutes. Moore is surprising, I figured she’d be a day 1 starter, still might be later on I guess.
Coach talked about why Moore is not starting in last week’s ”Katie Gearlds Show”:

TN: Another player I think you’ll be counting on to give you energy especially in her present position as your 6th player is Brooke Moore. She’s got the ability to score for you off the bench and that’s important for a team to have something you can get off the bench.​

KG: Yeah, Brooke has done a really good job of buying in to that right now. I’ve told her “Hey, if we start you we’ve got to try and get an inside presence. We’re going to get JT (Terry) & Cass some looks so you’re probably going to miss out on some opportunities. But if we bring you in off the bench then you have the 6th man role like Jordan Clarkson (for Utah Jazz) role, the Kelsey Plum (for Las Vegas Aces) role - and you can come in and be you. And she has really boughten in to it completely and she has been an incredible teammate.​

Coach talked about why Moore is not starting in last week’s ”Katie Gearlds Show”:

TN: Another player I think you’ll be counting on to give you energy especially in her present position as your 6th player is Brooke Moore. She’s got the ability to score for you off the bench and that’s important for a team to have something you can get off the bench.​

KG: Yeah, Brooke has done a really good job of buying in to that right now. I’ve told her “Hey, if we start you we’ve got to try and get an inside presence. We’re going to get JT (Terry) & Cass some looks so you’re probably going to miss out on some opportunities. But if we bring you in off the bench then you have the 6th man role like Jordan Clarkson (for Utah Jazz) role, the Kelsey Plum (for Las Vegas Aces) role - and you can come in and be you. And she has really boughten in to it completely and she has been an incredible teammate.​
Thanks, appreciate the post buddy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT