ADVERTISEMENT

Football is ALL About

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
Line play and Purdue is not 1) good enough or 2) deep enough now to sustain a 4 QTR effort. Speed on the D side is a little lacking and that can be addressed through the season but the line play probably cannot. We can get better but "I" just see average or good as the high water mark for the 2023 season.

Reactions: krf3632
It's not a mistake that our best teams n the last 20-30 years were the ones with multiple pros on the offensive line. Yes, Drew Brees is an absolute outlier as a QB, but he also had five future pros blocking for him if I remember correctly.

Reactions: tjreese and krf3632
It's not a mistake that our best teams n the last 20-30 years were the ones with multiple pros on the offensive line. Yes, Drew Brees is an absolute outlier as a QB, but he also had five future pros blocking for him if I remember correctly.
And future pros rushing the other teams’ QBs.

Reactions: tjreese
I don’t think the DL is that bad. I think we put our good DE/rush LBs in bad positions at times not rushing the QB and sending guys who aren’t as good to do it. We have traditional 4-3 DEs trying to play in a 5-2. It’s an absolute recipe for disaster.

Non existent LB play. Playing the FS 30 yards off the line. Asking Allen and Kane to cover pretty much every play when they are better run stoppers.

We have guys…most are just being asked to do things they aren’t good at. IMO, that’s not on the kids. Say what you want about Brohms defenses but A. They weren’t this bad, B. They mostly kept us in games and C. We were generally smart enough to put the best guys in position to do the things they were best at.

None of this is happening with our current “defensive savant”

Huge red flag in my opinion.

Reactions: Bippus33
I don’t think the DL is that bad. I think we put our good DE/rush LBs in bad positions at times not rushing the QB and sending guys who aren’t as good to do it. We have traditional 4-3 DEs trying to play in a 5-2. It’s an absolute recipe for disaster.

Non existent LB play. Playing the FS 30 yards off the line. Asking Allen and Kane to cover pretty much every play when they are better run stoppers.

We have guys…most are just being asked to do things they aren’t good at. IMO, that’s not on the kids. Say what you want about Brohms defenses but A. They weren’t this bad, B. They mostly kept us in games and C. We were generally smart enough to put the best guys in position to do the things they were best at.

Yeah a good coach figures out who his best players are, then comes up with the best system to make those players successful.

Line play and Purdue is not 1) good enough or 2) deep enough now to sustain a 4 QTR effort. Speed on the D side is a little lacking and that can be addressed through the season but the line play probably cannot. We can get better but "I" just see average or good as the high water mark for the 2023 season.
post should be College Football is All About, which to me is about it's pecking order. After all the 5 and 4 stars go to the big boys, we get high 3stars and have to coach them up. We get some 4's but guys like Yanni the jury is still out on and Strickland is behind Mba on the depth chart. I have not been impressed by Mba at all. Our depth at wr is pretty bad for a passing school too. The thing is "what's Purdue's sale pitch to a recruit?" It's a tough program to recruit too which is part of the reason we couldn't land a seasoned coach

Reactions: pboiler18
Yeah a good coach figures out who his best players are, then comes up with the best system to make those players successful.
yea but is that even enough to play consistently week in and week out vs the top 5 and soon to be top 9 of the league?

yea but is that even enough to play consistently week in and week out vs the top 5 and soon to be top 9 of the league?
Oh we need to recruit better also moving forward. I was referring to just this year. Coaches need to tailor their system to the players on hand.

Walters was hired for his defensive prowess.The truth is that he has not shown it.Has the AD lost his gamble?

Scheme and coaching are the great equalizer. If you don’t have it…a program like Purdue relying on raw talent is never going to bode well for results.

Exactly, you put guys in positions they can play, not force them into your system. Tiller was really good about that and was a big factor in his success. He fit the system to the players he had and moved players to where they could flourish. Like Matt Light from being a slow tight end to a fast tackle.

Pros that played in Super Bowls!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT