ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
Given that Edey an̈d Smith Jones were really the driving forces to making the final Four, with two people gone just Smith , who joins him as Elite enough to make another final Four, I could see Smith next year with Colvin , but with everyone hinting Catchings is one and done I'm not sure I see the dynamic Edey PC to get us there . Your thoughts ....

Given that Edey an̈d Smith Jones were really the driving forces to making the final Four, with two people gone just Smith , who joins him as Elite enough to make another final Four, I could see Smith next year with Colvin , but with everyone hinting Catchings is one and done I'm not sure I see the dynamic Edey PC to get us there . Your thoughts ....
Colvin is going to have to show a lot more to be considered elite. TKR, Furst, Loyer and Heide all have that chance, along with Berg in my humble opinion. I can see Berg with his ability to move outside being a very pleasant surprise.

Colvin is going to have to show a lot more to be considered elite. TKR, Furst, Loyer and Heide all have that chance, along with Berg in my humble opinion. I can see Berg with his ability to move outside being a very pleasant surprise.
Twin , Uconn showed us that superior guard play check mated having an Edey in winning a championship, do you see those players with us in the next season to get back to a FF , not sure I do. , because we won't have it at center which won us a lot of games. I would put Loyer and Colvin down as C- defense players and B on offense , we need better all round players at both ends , Heide could fit that , maybe Catchings and Harris their sophomore years....??? Guess I see next year as a rebuild year , with a lot of player development.

Last edited:
My expectations this year are a top four finish in the BT and making it to the second round of the NCAAT. That would be a solid season after graduating the two time NPOY. Anything above that is gravy.

My expectations this year are a top four finish in the BT and making it to the second round of the NCAAT. That would be a solid season after graduating the two time NPOY. Anything above that is gravy.
I agree. In fact, I would say that any year we finish in the top 4 (with now 18 teams) it will be considered a good year. With unbalanced schedules and 18 teams, top 4 will be a good year any year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Guess I see next year as a rebuild year , with a lot of player development.
What does that mean to you in terms of expectations for conference finish and NCAAT performance? Agree with you that a FF seems like a real stretch, i.e. would require some real breakout performances and probably some luck.

Two seasons ago there were a lot of folks here who saw a rebuild year coming after losing JI, Trevion, etc. and were predicting an NCAAT bubble team. My expectations for that season were probably similar to what they are this year.

Reactions: craigdj
Twin , Uconn showed us that superior guard play check mated having an Edey in winning a championship, do you see those players with us in the next season to get back to a FF , not sure I do. , because we won't have it at center which won us a lot of games. I would put Loyer and Colvin down as C- defense players and B on offense , we need better all round players at both ends , Heide could fit that , maybe Catchings and Harris their sophomore years....??? Guess I see next year as a rebuild year , with a lot of player development.
I agree that Guard play is what lights the fire, but I also have to say Zach was a different breed of post player. Without Zach, how many do we win? Do the Boilers reach the final game?

I see a different style of team this coming season, and in my response I'll deal with only the players returning. TKR/Furst/Berg can all play the post...or the 3 or 4. I think all three are interchangeable in those positions and I don't see us losing much at all with either. With all three on the court at the same time, with Loyer and Smith at the guard spots, I see a team with the returning guys like Heide (who can also start) and hopefully Myles coming off the bench to provide energy and relief for the five I mentioned.

I don't get all wound up about incoming players that haven't seen the floor in a college game, but my guess is that at least two will contribute big time.

PU will finish no lower than 3rd in the revamped B10, and will IMHO, see the Elite 8 and with the right draw, the FF.

I agree that Guard play is what lights the fire, but I also have to say Zach was a different breed of post player. Without Zach, how many do we win? Do the Boilers reach the final game?

I see a different style of team this coming season, and in my response I'll deal with only the players returning. TKR/Furst/Berg can all play the post...or the 3 or 4. I think all three are interchangeable in those positions and I don't see us losing much at all with either. With all three on the court at the same time, with Loyer and Smith at the guard spots, I see a team with the returning guys like Heide (who can also start) and hopefully Myles coming off the bench to provide energy and relief for the five I mentioned.

I don't get all wound up about incoming players that haven't seen the floor in a college game, but my guess is that at least two will contribute big time.

PU will finish no lower than 3rd in the revamped B10, and will IMHO, see the Elite 8 and with the right draw, the FF.
I would agree , I feel Heide and Catchings /Harris will add some athleticism, although you right , you just don't know about incoming freshman till they hit the floor and I hope Loyers game on both ends gets stronger. Already miss Jones , not sure who fills his shoes?

I would agree , I feel Heide and Catchings /Harris will add some athleticism, although you right , you just don't know about incoming freshman till they hit the floor and I hope Loyers game on both ends gets stronger. Already miss Jones , not sure who fills his shoes?
Heide/colvin and maybe even harris would be my guess to fill those large shoes left by lance “big shot” jones

Heide/colvin and maybe even harris would be my guess to fill those large shoes left by lance “big shot” jones
I think Heide is the best defender in that group, but he doesn't have the quickness of Jones. Myles may have the quickness, but he's not shown that he can play defense at all.

Harris....he's in the same place Myles was last year.

I think Heide is the best defender in that group, but he doesn't have the quickness of Jones. Myles may have the quickness, but he's not shown that he can play defense at all.

Guess we are screwed and not going to be very good then 😔

It will be interesting to see how much Colvin plays the 2 and Harris plays the 3. Aside from 90 minutes being close to locked down between Braden, Fletch and Trey, everything else seems up for grabs.
Yeah no doubt. I think between heide Colvin and Harris, they can play the 2 and 3 and Harris can step in at 1 (for a few min) if needed. The team seems to have a lot of interchangeable guys next year who can play multiple positions, so should be fun to watch how Paint mixes it up

Who is everyone in this case?
I think a number of 2025 draft boards have him in the 20-25 range right now. Not hard to see a scenario where he hits the ground running (which would be great for us) and plays himself into the lottery.

Day 1 of the season projection for starting 5 -

1 - Smith
2 - Loyer
3 - Colvin
4 - Heidi
5 - TKR

What I hope the starting 5 are by the end of the season - (because of progress not regression)

1- Smith
2 - Colvin
3 - Catchings
4 - TKR
5 - Berg/Jacobsen (playing NBA style 5)

Off the bench, Catchings (at the 3/4) is definitely B1G ready, Harris (at the 1/2) should be, Furst backup 4/5 minutes, Berg minutes at the 5. That brings you to 9 with the start of the season team above. Doubt we go any more than 9 player rotation.

With so many true freshmen on the team, it's really hard to predict this year. Cox or Benter could come in ready to play like Smith did. Burgess might be able to pass up Furst or Heidi. Jacobsen could pass up Berg. Catchings appears to be ready, spending the last 8 months at a basketball focused high school. He put on a ton of muscle. Harris is built to play at the college level as well. I think of the 6 the last 2 are the best bet for being impactful this year, but who knows. No one saw Smith being as good as he has been before last year, same with countless Purdue recruits ranked much lower than this class.

Day 1 of the season projection for starting 5 -

1 - Smith
2 - Loyer
3 - Colvin
4 - Heidi
5 - TKR

What I hope the starting 5 are by the end of the season - (because of progress not regression)

1- Smith
2 - Colvin
3 - Catchings
4 - TKR
5 - Berg/Jacobsen (playing NBA style 5)

Off the bench, Catchings (at the 3/4) is definitely B1G ready, Harris (at the 1/2) should be, Furst backup 4/5 minutes, Berg minutes at the 5. That brings you to 9 with the start of the season team above. Doubt we go any more than 9 player rotation.

With so many true freshmen on the team, it's really hard to predict this year. Cox or Benter could come in ready to play like Smith did. Burgess might be able to pass up Furst or Heidi. Jacobsen could pass up Berg. Catchings appears to be ready, spending the last 8 months at a basketball focused high school. He put on a ton of muscle. Harris is built to play at the college level as well. I think of the 6 the last 2 are the best bet for being impactful this year, but who knows. No one saw Smith being as good as he has been before last year, same with countless Purdue recruits ranked much lower than this class.
I don’t think Heide plays the 4…unless him and Catchings are on the court at the same time and they become interchangeable imo. TKR at the 5 all year is what I’d bet…Furst backs up the 4 with Jacobsen and Berg backing up the 4 and 5 too. I think Jacobsen could make a big impact.

Agree on Harris and Catchings. Excited for Colvin and heides jump from Frosh to soph

Agree Colvin seems to "watch" the game and wait for someone to pass him the ball , on defense he was terrible , hoping Heide takes another jump especially on D. Just don't know with 6 ? freshman coming in and Loyer spends part of the game on the floor.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinDegrees2
"Uconn showed us that superior guard play check mated....."
More like, NBA guard play.

Exactly 0 of TKR/Furst/Berg can play the 3. On offense OR defense, but especially NOT on defense. Berg hasn't shown he can guard 5's, much less 4's. Forget 3's.

Random information since we're talking the Final 4.

I've got an unopened 24-pack of Coke cola with the 2024 Final 4 branding on it that they handed out at the Glendale stadium. Trying to make the 24-pack last until Purdue makes their next Final 4.

Any guesses on how bad I need to ration?
A) 1 can per month
B) 1 can per win against Indiana
C) 1 can per year
D) 1 can per qualified NCAA tournament
E) 1 can per BIG10 championship

Random information since we're talking the Final 4.

I've got an unopened 24-pack of Coke cola with the 2024 Final 4 branding on it that they handed out at the Glendale stadium. Trying to make the 24-pack last until Purdue makes their next Final 4.

Any guesses on how bad I need to ration?
A) 1 can per month
B) 1 can per win against Indiana
C) 1 can per year
D) 1 can per qualified NCAA tournament
E) 1 can per BIG10 championship
B....it'll taste much better when this highly priced non-coached IU team hits the skids next year. Too many stars and not enough coaching. Someone needs to tell Woody and staff that unlike the pro's that he came from he can't just roll the ball out and win.

I don’t think Heide plays the 4…unless him and Catchings are on the court at the same time and they become interchangeable imo. TKR at the 5 all year is what I’d bet…Furst backs up the 4 with Jacobsen and Berg backing up the 4 and 5 too. I think Jacobsen could make a big impact.

Agree on Harris and Catchings. Excited for Colvin and heides jump from Frosh to soph
I think it all depends on how ready the 2 7'ers and Catchings are. If the bigs aren't ready then Furst needs to be backup C. That means we need a ton of minutes at the 4. Until Catchings is ready, I don't see anyone else that could play the 4 in that scenario.

There are going to be lots of options for the right combination to next years team. The only sure starter IMO is Smith. All other minutes are up for grabs.... should be fun to watch.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
There are going to be lots of options for the right combination to next years team. The only sure starter IMO is Smith. All other minutes are up for grabs.... should be fun to watch.
Smith and TKR for sure and don’t see Loyer being out of the lineup all of a sudden. He may have mins reduced or not start later in the year but I don’t see paint pulling him from a starter before the season starts.

Smith and TKR for sure and don’t see Loyer being out of the lineup all of a sudden. He may have mins reduced or not start later in the year but I don’t see paint pulling him from a starter before the season starts.
Agreed on TKR and Smith, but I'm not so certain on Loyer. When he is on, he is amazing. His D and inconsistency leaves him particularly vulnerable to being passed up. There are a ton of players on this team that can play the 2-3 (Loyer, Harris, Cox, Catchings, Benter, Heide, Waddell) and only 2 of those get to start. If Catchings gets the D you can't keep him off the court (I guess he could also play the 4), so that's 6 players for 1 starting slot.

Of the 3 returning starters Loyer is by far the most at risk of losing his spot.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Agreed on TKR and Smith, but I'm not so certain on Loyer. When he is on, he is amazing. His D and inconsistency leaves him particularly vulnerable to being passed up. There are a ton of players on this team that can play the 2-3 (Loyer, Harris, Cox, Catchings, Benter, Heide, Waddell) and only 2 of those get to start. If Catchings gets the D you can't keep him off the court (I guess he could also play the 4), so that's 6 players for 1 starting slot.

Of the 3 returning starters Loyer is by far the most at risk of losing his spot.
Not so sure. He knows the offense, is coming off a 40% 3pt shooting season where he torched from the start of March up until the championship game, has hit big shots and is a great FT shooter. I don’t think Painter will bench him to start. He may later on, but I don’t expect Loyer to be on the bench to start the first half of the season.

I think Heide will very likely get time at the 4 and Catchings with better handles gets time at the 3. Colvin hopefully with a jump gets time at the 2-3 spot.

I agree with this last statement. I don’t see any realistic scenario in which Braden or Trey is displaced. Fletcher is well established and likely to start as long as he’s healthy, but it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that someone overtakes him.

I think Heide will very likely get time at the 4 and Catchings with better handles gets time at the 3. Colvin hopefully with a jump gets time at the 2-3 spot.
Agree, I’d be surprised if Cam doesn’t get time at the 4. He and Myles both need major minutes and there are only so many available at the 2 and 3.

Reactions: *4purdue*
With Edey gone, next years team is going to have a different look. We will need players to create their own shot. It's no longer "surround Edey with 4 shooters & spread the floor". I love Loyers game & do think he will be a big part of it, but I think until this team figures its own identity, all bets are off & I only see Smith as a "sure thing". That's not to say Loyer & TKR won't play, but may not start or have the role they played last year. I'm more confident in TKR starting, then Loyer, but wouldn't bet on either, at least by the time BT schedule starts.

I agree with this last statement. I don’t see any realistic scenario in which Braden or Trey is displaced. Fletcher is well established and likely to start as long as he’s healthy, but it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that someone overtakes him.
I could see Jacobson starting at the 5.... CMP loves size, & if Catchings is as good as advertised (1 & done), I could see him at the 4, especially with reports that he's grown & added weight.

I could see Jacobson starting at the 5.... CMP loves size, & if Catchings is as good as advertised (1 & done), I could see him at the 4, especially with reports that he's grown & added weight.
I could see either one of those things happen independently but would be shocked to see both. MP strongly believes in Trey's role as a featured scorer, that doesn't mean that he can't be displaced but it would be very surprising.

I could see either one of those things happen independently but would be shocked to see both. MP strongly believes in Trey's role as a featured scorer, that doesn't mean that he can't be displaced but it would be very surprising.
TKR is a beast and is ready to go now. He is definitely a great fit at the 5 for a team
That wants to get up and down. Jacobsens gonna be really good but may take some time to get up to speed. Wonder how many mins Bergs gonna get.

Wonder how many mins Bergs gonna get.
Right. It will be interesting on a couple of fronts.

1) Not sure how well Trey and Will fit together on offense. It can be done, but assuming Trey is featured, not sure that Will is the most complimentary.

2) If Cam and/or Catchings play any significant minutes at the four, the number of total available minutes at the 4/5 becomes very limited.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Right. It will be interesting on a couple of fronts.

1) Not sure how well Trey and Will fit together on offense. It can be done, but assuming Trey is featured, not sure that Will is the most complimentary.

2) If Cam and/or Catchings play any significant minutes at the four, the number of total available minutes at the 4/5 becomes very limited.
I’m excited to see all the possibilities of lineups and how many players we have that can play multiple positions. I assume painter will play on that and have the offense humming. I also hope he stole some of UConn’s offensive action and will implement some of that this year. So many moving parts and different cuts and things happening…much like plays in football. Anyways, gonna be a fun year with some expected ups and downs

Reactions: northside100
TKR is a beast and is ready to go now. He is definitely a great fit at the 5 for a team
That wants to get up and down. Jacobsens gonna be really good but may take some time to get up to speed. Wonder how many mins Bergs gonna get.

Berg has pretty good quickness, both around the rim and running the court. I think He's far more athletic than Zach, and I'll go out on a limb and predict that he plays a ton of minutes and maybe even starts He can move out and shoot the three, he can play a big 4, or he can play a high or low post. Don't count him out just yet.

Smith will start, TKR will start, Loyer will start, and Heide will start. That leaves one open slot....which could very well be Berg. Or Furst could play the post with TKR moving to the 4.

Last edited:
Berg has pretty good quickness, both around the rim and running the court. I think He's far more athletic than Zach, and I'll go out on a limb and predict that he plays a ton of minutes and maybe even starts He can move out and shoot the three, he can play a big 4, or he can play a high or low post. Don't count him out just yet.

Smith will start, TKR will start, Loyer will start, and Heide will start. That leaves one open slot....which could very well be Berg. Or Furst could play the post with TKR moving to the 4.
I think it's open season for starting spots after Smith and TKR. Loyer is likely but could certainly be passed by Harris at some point, and Heide will have to compete with Colvin and/or Catchings for his starting spot most likely. All three are athletic, but Heide is the least athletic of the 3. Luckily he plays great D already, and it remains to be seen if the other 2 can do that effectively.

I think the 4/5 starters will be the most interesting to watch. We have a ton of players that can fill these spots. Assuming TKR takes one you have Furst, Jacobsen, Berg that can start the 5 with TKR at the 4, and Catchings, Heide, and Burgess that could play the 4 with TKR at the 5. You have 4 players for 1 spot that can only play 4/5 and 2 more that can play the 3/4. Lots of competition in the front court this year.

Back court is a little more straight forward I think. Smith starts the 1 with Harris as backup, Loyer likely starts the 2 with Colvin/Harris as backup, Colvin/Heide/Catchings start the 3 with the others (depending on how the 4 breaks down above) as backup.

No clue where Benter, Cox, or Waddell fit in all this, they could be a pleasant surprise as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT