ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN laying the lumber

Falling revenues. Guess they should have treated the BIG a little better, they might have generated are advertising dollars? --I'd like to think that was the reason, but maybe it was just that sports as a whole is generating less money. I really don't know the reason behind the revenue drop.

Maybe it was hiring a bunch of dopes that could not speak articulately about the sport they were watching, or maybe it was all the self promotion during game play? Who knows?

Bad contracts with NBA and NFL. Declining numbers of cable subscribers.

and declining viewership from subscribers as well...that's another story for another time.

Len Elmore and Jay Crawford also among the casualties. Wonder what Jim Delany is thinking.

It was a money saving effort - something you will see a lot of other companies following!

I know I haven't watched ESPN or gone to their website in years......talking heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjmpu82
100 employees fired today.

Not surprising considering the holy crap show most of their stuff on the network has become. They started to try and compete with 24/7, talk shows, and pretty much anything else on the market. They started down this road with that horrific reality show for the next ESPN Anchor (who has turned out decent with BTN I believe) and haven't looked back. If they had stuck with providing the absolute best content in their realm possible with the absolute best people (instead of constantly letting them go or firing them), they would have been perfectly fine. Couple that with horrific backing of the Longhorn Network and tying themselves to the ACC and SEC when the Big Ten was arguably the money conference with alumni networks..they have had a bad string for about 10 years and have been grasping for straws since.

Add in the fact that the NBA and MLB regular season is arguably unwatchable and people can't watch them...especially MLB being 3-4 hours long on weeknights (wonder why MLB can't add in a pitch clock to speed up play)....and this is what happens.

I hate to go politics, but I think this is a big reason why. The same reason Trump was voted POTUS, is because we the people are sick and tired of this liberal agenda being shoved down our throat.

That said, I think Fox Sports has a lot to do with ESPNs decline in ratings. I have been one to switch to FS1 for nearly all my sports news. ESPN is way too liberal for me, basing a lot of their topics on race and gender, primarily focusing on the negative news on white people, but when it happens on the other side, they just simply ignore to view it. FS1 does push the liberal agenda, but nowhere near as much as ESPN, but they also have no problem swinging towards the right either.

The Lamar Ball situation comes to mind recently. Snoop Dogg and his outlandish comments towards our POTUS. They invite him on their show. Or basically saying Colin Kaepernick was right when he protested the American Flag during the National Anthem. I just can't stand that kind of stuff.

Family
God
Country

Those are the 3 most important things, in that order, to me. And it seems that way for a whole lot of America as well.

Again, sorry to go political, but I think that is the ultimate reason behind it, regardless of what reasons anyone shows me according to a CNN/ESPN or any other liberal source.

I hate to go politics, but I think this is a big reason why. The same reason Trump was voted POTUS, is because we the people are sick and tired of this liberal agenda being shoved down our throat.

That said, I think Fox Sports has a lot to do with ESPNs decline in ratings. I have been one to switch to FS1 for nearly all my sports news. ESPN is way too liberal for me, basing a lot of their topics on race and gender, primarily focusing on the negative news on white people, but when it happens on the other side, they just simply ignore to view it. FS1 does push the liberal agenda, but nowhere near as much as ESPN, but they also have no problem swinging towards the right either.

The Lamar Ball situation comes to mind recently. Snoop Dogg and his outlandish comments towards our POTUS. They invite him on their show. Or basically saying Colin Kaepernick was right when he protested the American Flag during the National Anthem. I just can't stand that kind of stuff.

Family
God
Country

Those are the 3 most important things, in that order, to me. And it seems that way for a whole lot of America as well.

Again, sorry to go political, but I think that is the ultimate reason behind it, regardless of what reasons anyone shows me according to a CNN/ESPN or any other liberal source.

Biggest source of bull I have read on this forum in a long time, honestly. You were the ONLY one to take this in a political slant which lends itself to your uneasiness of your support of the least supported POTUS in the history of our country. I can provide unbiased sources for that if you don't like anything that might stink of a 'liberal agenda.'

An honest question: Why are you so quick to point out a 'liberal agenda' and not then say anything about the 'conservative agenda' of news agencies like Fox News or of Breitbart?

Let me say this very plainly....your comment about 'we the people' voting in Donald Trump is a farce. He didn't win the popular vote by any stretch and currently stands at a 41% approval rating (from Gallup Polls). A majority of the country (52%) holds a total disapproval of how he is handling his job at POTUS. I can live with the fact that he won the electoral college and respect that he is in fact my president because I am an American citizen. But don't tell me about being sick of a 'liberal agenda' when that liberal agenda pulled this country out of the worst recession since the 1930's (and I could easily make the argument that the same liberal agenda did the same for the country in the 30's thanks to the MOST liberal POTUS of all time, FDR).

If you would like to have a civil political conversation filled with facts and with rationality, then I would love to start a thread specifically about that. Until that happens, keep your bullshit political agenda off the board.

ESPN went to the way of loudmouths. Very outspoken and polarizing personalities. They also need to offer ESPN live streaming that gives all channels for 5-10 bucks a month and still shows commercials like regular tv. Some people would pay for that over the ludacris prices of cable for only 4-5 channels they actually watch. With all the options to watch shows cable has tanked. ESPN needs to get on board. Also, get rid of people like Chris Carter and Steven A. There are others, but those stand out the most to me. ESPN just needs new leadership. Hopefully no other worthy employees are fired.

Biggest source of bull I have read on this forum in a long time, honestly. You were the ONLY one to take this in a political slant which lends itself to your uneasiness of your support of the least supported POTUS in the history of our country. I can provide unbiased sources for that if you don't like anything that might stink of a 'liberal agenda.'

An honest question: Why are you so quick to point out a 'liberal agenda' and not then say anything about the 'conservative agenda' of news agencies like Fox News or of Breitbart?

Let me say this very plainly....your comment about 'we the people' voting in Donald Trump is a farce. He didn't win the popular vote by any stretch and currently stands at a 41% approval rating (from Gallup Polls). A majority of the country (52%) holds a total disapproval of how he is handling his job at POTUS. I can live with the fact that he won the electoral college and respect that he is in fact my president because I am an American citizen. But don't tell me about being sick of a 'liberal agenda' when that liberal agenda pulled this country out of the worst recession since the 1930's (and I could easily make the argument that the same liberal agenda did the same for the country in the 30's thanks to the MOST liberal POTUS of all time, FDR).

If you would like to have a civil political conversation filled with facts and with rationality, then I would love to start a thread specifically about that. Until that happens, keep your bullshit political agenda off the board.
Those polls are as accurate as the ones that had Bill's wife ahead the day before the election.

Of course Fox and CNN are politically biased- they feature mostly political programming. When I turn on sports, I want to escape from politics, not be lectured by a bunch of idiot talking heads.

Family
God
Country

ha no doubt.
not sure what he is watching on fs1, but
I don't think fs1 even has their sportscenter-like show anymore do they? and when they did it, they somehow managed to make it even worse than espns

More scathing than I would have gone with, but I agree. There are always a few who focus on what divides us rather than the fact that we are all Purdue sports fans. I never understood the "liberal bias" of ESPN anyway. I certainly hated the way they favored certain programs. The Emon Brennan led charge of getting Iu the #1 ranking in the country to start the season a few years back was much more ridiculous than anything remotely political that I saw or read.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

Family
God
Country

lol. what

I got to hand it to FS1 talent. I friggin loved it when Katie Nolan punked out that POS Sean Hannity this weekend!

Family
God
Country

Again, sorry to go political, but I think that is the ultimate reason behind it, regardless of what reasons anyone shows me according to a CNN/ESPN or any other liberal source.i/QUOTE]
I agree with your examples of Lamar Ball and Kapernick. Their liberal views on political stances are not welcome for me on sports talk shows. In our divided country it would be nice to escape the personal agendas of programming which is about sports.

I agree with your examples about Lamar Ball and Kapernick. We have a divided country and I don't want to hear these people with political views on a sports show.

Last edited:
I imagine btn plus/2go will turn into a stand alone option at some point
(after the next waves of YouTube tv,vue,sling)

I certainly hope so for those of us that don't have direct access to B1G Network! ( but not optimistic for the near future)

Reactions: tjreese

You're not paying attention if you think this poster is the only one who thinks ESPN has a liberal agenda. There are a multitude of articles written about this very subject all over the web. The topic is all over social media as well. The writers give plenty of examples of why they feel this way. Here are a few of the recent ones

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/david-whitley/os-sp-whitley-espn-blog0130-story.html

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-profit-plummets-as-network-turns-left-020817

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...rrett-sports-media/1vkiau005ud0i135hcxdg6wxat

Last edited:
In sports related posts that hold true to the original intent...

I'd like to see Kanell get picked up. I really thought he and Russillo made a good team after SVP left the radio for a full time gig on his late night show. Enjoyed his personal stories from his time at Florida and his time as a backup in the NFL.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Kanell end up at Barstool.

Granted I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring on a few folks from ESPN since they are more of the future of sports.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I can see their slogan now: "ESPN: if you thought most of our non-event programming sucked before, just wait!"

Reactions: boilerzz

Family
God
Country

You're not paying attention if you think this poster is the only one who thinks ESPN has a liberal agenda. There are a multitude of articles written about this very subject all over the web. The topic is all over social media as well. The writers give plenty of examples of why they feel this way. Here are a few of the recent ones

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/david-whitley/os-sp-whitley-espn-blog0130-story.html

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-profit-plummets-as-network-turns-left-020817

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...rrett-sports-media/1vkiau005ud0i135hcxdg6wxat

i think it goes beyond any kind of bias complaint.

worse than that is the fact they show less and less actual games, highlights and scores.

but it was inevitable.
espn showing less sports is like...
mtv losing the music
history channel without the history/documentaries
the learning channel only showing home improvement
comedy central rarely being funny

Again, didn't want to go political, just answering the question of what I believed was the reason. You gave no opinion, rather just got caught into politics. You can spew your bs from all those slanted polls you want, the fact is, the only areas of the country that voted for the left were the big cities in this country, whom only want as many free handouts as they can possibly get. I'm not going to have a pissing match with you over this, (although your clearly uninformed in politics) as it obviously hurts your feelings.

Have a good night sir.

I think it was just a matter of a company over extending itself. Did we really need or want ESPN 3 or ESPN univ? ESPN offered its viewers too many choices. And as a consequence, viewership on all of their programming became diluted. In addition to firing 100 people, I can foresee ESPN also canceling several of their cable channels in the future.

As for politics and slant, the entire Fox Network prides itself on being outrageous and not politically correct. And that is true for their news, sports, and talk shows. ESPN is owned by Disney and as such follows Disney's guidelines and political stance.

Viewers may love FOX or ESPN. However, after all their pending lawsuits, And loss of sponsors, You may see FOX change some of their values, and start becoming more politically correct to stay in business. To be accurate, FOX has also lost a few prominent employees recently as well.

And not everything is politically oriented.

Reactions: PUBV and Frankie611
Again, didn't want to go political, just answering the question of what I believed was the reason. You gave no opinion, rather just got caught into politics. You can spew your bs from all those slanted polls you want, the fact is, the only areas of the country that voted for the left were the big cities in this country, whom only want as many free handouts as they can possibly get. I'm not going to have a pissing match with you over this, (although your clearly uninformed in politics) as it obviously hurts your feelings.

Have a good night sir.

Bullshit you didn't want to get political. Any IU troll post has more credibility than you do at this point.

Also, you're supposed to hold God over family...I read it in some book somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: PUBV and Danfish98

Have a good night sir.

You are starting to become very politically opinionated yourself. Talking about people wanting free handouts. This thread is about ESPN, not pissing matches.

Everyone is so caught up in their tribalistic ways. "Liberal", "conservstive" this, that. The parties are two sides of the same coin. Illusion of choice in a pseudo-democracy. Oligarchy is more like it. The George Soros's of the world and Rothschild's of the world pull the strings. people are so caught up on fighting each other where the real issue is the elites who run the show in Washington.

Ready to be put on ignore in 3,2,1.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT