ADVERTISEMENT

Elizabeth Warren

You’re such a liar. That bill was designed to do nothing of the sort.

Gays DO NOT have the same rights as everyone else. If they did, then my buddy in Texas wouldn’t be fearful every day of losing his job if his company finds out he’s gay because that’s allowed in Texas. Stop, Twin. I’m asking you please just stop. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Just so I’m clear...if your buddy came out to his employer, his employer could fire him simply with the justification of doing so because he’s gay? Is that what you’re claiming?
Why would your buddy want to work for that employer in the first place?

Yes, they could. It’s not illegal there.

And it’s a great question. I asked. He made the assumption that they had something in place that forbid it. They don’t. He owns not doing his due diligence and is actively looking for something else.

You know, at times you've had some pretty good discussions. Most folks could give two shits less if you're gay or straight. I'm guessing had you not brought it up, no one here would have known you are gay.

Purdue1 got mad at me because I told him I didn’t care that he was gay and that being gay doesn’t get you special treatment.

Don’t attempt to force your beliefs on others. Yet isn’t that what the religious belief laws allow for? My god the gymnastics with you Twin.

Actually no. If someone doesn’t want to bake you a cake for a same sex marriage because it makes them feel uncomfortable and is not consistent with their personal beliefs, who are you to say they should feel differently?
Just as you being gay isn’t a choice, for many people, their faith and religious values are not a choice either, RS who they are.
Go find another baker.

Oh I’m fine if someone wants to refuse service based on some hilljack verse on a page in a book. But then don’t cry about it when others point out how ridiculous of a look that is.

But I’m all for the bigots warning me ahead of time so I can shop elsewhere. It’s cool.

Just so I’m clear...if your buddy came out to his employer, his employer could fire him simply with the justification of doing so because he’s gay? Is that what you’re claiming?
Why would your buddy want to work for that employer in the first place?
Isn't there a currently pending US Supreme Court case on the issue?

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
You’re such a liar. That bill was designed to do nothing of the sort.

Gays DO NOT have the same rights as everyone else. If they did, then my buddy in Texas wouldn’t be fearful every day of losing his job if his company finds out he’s gay because that’s allowed in Texas. Stop, Twin. I’m asking you please just stop. You have no idea what you’re talking about.
You know, at times you've had some pretty good discussions. Most folks could give two shits less if you're gay or straight. I'm guessing had you not brought it up, no one here would have known you are gay.

Here’s an idea. Maybe not spend your morning copying and pasting shit about mike pence as a way to get me to change my mind. Umm, I mean HELL-FUKKING-O dude.

Purdue1 got mad at me because I told him I didn’t care that he was gay and that being gay doesn’t get you special treatment.

I’m looking to see where i asked for special treatment and it turns out i didn’t. Also, not mad. Not worth getting mad at a chronic liar.

Oh I’m fine if someone wants to refuse service based on some hilljack verse on a page in a book. But then don’t cry about it when others point out how ridiculous of a look that is.

But I’m all for the bigots warning me ahead of time so I can shop elsewhere. It’s cool.

Again, you display your level of intolerance for someone who has strong religious convictions.
They don’t think like you or believe in what you believe in, therefore they are bad.
How very liberal of you....

Again, you display your level of intolerance for someone who has strong religious convictions.
They don’t think like you or believe in what you believe in, therefore they are bad.

How am i being intolerant? I said they’re free to refuse service.

To me the real problem is the nature of what are nominally called "strong religious convictions." I attended parochial schools until arriving at Purdue. My recollection of my religious upbringing as it relates to these type of issues was essentially the concepts of "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "Hate the sin, love the sinner."
Most of those holding the so-called "strong religious convictions" seem intent upon disregarding those aspects of relious teachings. That's obviously their prerogative but it makes little sense to me.
Perhaps even moreso, is the inconsistency that they normally exhibit.
For instance, let's consider the bakery case - I don't know, but I strongly suspect, that the baker would be ecstatic to be hired to prepare an anniversary cake for Donald and Melania Trump. But if the baker refuses to bake for a gay couple on the ground that their lifestyle is religiously wrong, is it not a clear demonstration that it is not religion that is the issue, but simple sexual choice, since calling on my long ago parochial school education it is my belief that religion and the Bible abhor adultery in similar levels with homosexuality? If and when the religious right denounces and rejects business with/voting for/whatever concerning adulterers and fornicators at the same level as LGBTQ lifestyles I would accept their religious conviction argument.
I really don't care how the plumbing in my neighbor's house is piped truthfully.

Beth, Gays have the same rights as everyone else, and the bill you speak of was designed to give "special rights" to the LBGT communities. I'll challenge you, or anyone to tell me a right I have as a straight white male, that any member of the gay/lesbian community does not.

Challenge accepted. You can have a cake baked for your wedding at a bakery in Colorado. You can have a floral arrangement designed for you. You can adopt a child. Etc

Some of you defending strong religious beliefs need to read the Bible. Your posts suggest you support stoning people for adultery and
breaking the Sabbath along with many other punishments. My religion teaches that Jesus did not teach those things. And we don’t slaughter goats. Just sayin

It's called religious beliefs Indy. And guess what...if we're to remain the greatest country ever, then religious freedoms to choose whom one does business with has to be allowed. If you don't like their policy, do your bidding elsewhere. But don't attempt to force your beliefs on others.
You'd be one of the guys back in the day throwing food at the black people that wanted to sit at the counter with everyone else. You’d say, “Why don't they just go to a different restaurant where they're wanted?”

Challenge accepted. You can have a cake baked for your wedding at a bakery in Colorado. You can have a floral arrangement designed for you. You can adopt a child. Etc
Gays can have a cake baked in any state. They can have a floral arrangement designed for them. And if you're referring to Texas as someone brought up, Lesbian couples can access IVF and assisted insemination treatment. Texas statutesdo not prohibit same-sex second-parent adoptions or adoption by a same-sex couple and state courts have on occasion approved such adoptions.

Gays can have a cake baked in any state. They can have a floral arrangement designed for them. And if you're referring to Texas as someone brought up, Lesbian couples can access IVF and assisted insemination treatment. Texas statutesdo not prohibit same-sex second-parent adoptions or adoption by a same-sex couple and state courts have on occasion approved such adoptions.

Twin: Are you aware of the SC ruling in favor of Colorado baker who refused to bake cake for gay couple? Are you aware of the case in Washington state that is headed to SC of florist who refused to make floral arrangements for a gay wedding? Are you aware of the right of a state to set faith based adoption restrictions? (7 states have done so. Latest I think was Kansas in May 2018 ) Not referring to Texas

Some of us don't believe that to be "hilljack verse" in a book, and you have no respect for those of us who don't. Intolerant....yes it is.

Twin: Are you aware of the SC ruling in favor of Colorado baker who refused to bake cake for gay couple? Are you aware of the case in Washington state that is headed to SC of florist who refused to make floral arrangements for a gay wedding? Are you aware of the right of a state to set faith based adoption restrictions? (7 states have done so. Latest I think was Kansas in May 2018 ) Not referring to Texas
Yes I am Beth. I'm also aware of the Pizza owner (Memories Pizza) in northern Indiana who had to shut down because of intolerant LGBT folks along with others because they wouldn't cater to a gay wedding. Their dreams were destroyed, their life's work shattered because of that intolerance and need for attention by some. If someone doesn't want to serve me, I'm smart enough to just go somewhere else. Unless you have a government contract, you should not EVER have to serve someone you choose not to serve.

Some of us don't believe that to be "hilljack verse" in a book, and you have no respect for those of us who don't. Intolerant....yes it is.

Well see now we have something in common. Your religion tells you not to tolerate certain people and I choose not to tolerate people who think that way.

Yes I am Beth. I'm also aware of the Pizza owner (Memories Pizza) in northern Indiana who had to shut down because of intolerant LGBT folks along with others because they wouldn't cater to a gay wedding. Their dreams were destroyed, their life's work shattered because of that intolerance and need for attention by some. If someone doesn't want to serve me, I'm smart enough to just go somewhere else. Unless you have a government contract, you should not EVER have to serve someone you choose not to serve.

Yes isn’t it just AWFUL when the shoe is on the other foot.

You'd be one of the guys back in the day throwing food at the black people that wanted to sit at the counter with everyone else. You’d say, “Why don't they just go to a different restaurant where they're wanted?”
Anyone ever really tell you that you're an idiot who hasn't a clue as to what I'd do? You're such a racist yourself, and such a whiner.

"Hilljack verse in a book"?

Are you willing to say that about the koran or are you afraid of offending muslims?

Again, thanks for making the point for me.

Well see now we have something in common. Your religion tells you not to tolerate certain people and I choose not to tolerate people who think that way.
Who does my religion tell me not to tolerate? Since you know so much....tell me. ANd then tell me my religion.

I mean you just got done saying you believe the Bible. Folks interpret the Bible to say to be against homosexuality. The dots I’m connecting are fairly large here.

"Hilljack verse in a book"?

Are you willing to say that about the koran or are you afraid of offending muslims?

Again, thanks for making the point for me.

That’s some fancy whataboutism at 8am. First , those religions are just as bad in that arena and I would say the same thing. So again with the faux intolerance wailing from you. And since you’re a slow reader with the most minimal comprehension skills, once again I said they’re free the refuse service.

Anyone ever really tell you that you're an idiot who hasn't a clue as to what I'd do? You're such a racist yourself, and such a whiner.
You're making the same argument those people did. Are you that obtuse? I think we all know the answer.

That’s some fancy whataboutism at 8am. First , those religions are just as bad in that arena and I would say the same thing. So again with the faux intolerance wailing from you. And since you’re a slow reader with the most minimal comprehension skills, once again I said they’re free the refuse service.

So what are you complaining about?
The reality of the world we live in, is that not everyone is going to like you, your (or my) lifestyle, who I choose to do what with in the bedroom, what color my skin is, what my political position is, what religion I am. We're never going to get the utopian unicorns and rainbow fantasy world that some people hope for. There will always be bigots, racists, aholes, etc, etc. Life is tough and not always fair. Do the best you can.

So what are you complaining about?
The reality of the world we live in, is that not everyone is going to like you, your (or my) lifestyle, who I choose to do what with in the bedroom, what color my skin is, what my political position is, what religion I am. We're never going to get the utopian unicorns and rainbow fantasy world that some people hope for. There will always be bigots, racists, aholes, etc, etc. Life is tough and not always fair. Do the best you can.

I'm utterly shocked that you choose to sit here and defend horrible people. And by shocked, I'm not because clearly you're cool with it. You're right, life is tough and isn't fair, but it could be less tough and more fair if folks weren't like that and minded their own business. You could play your part in making the world better if you decided to not be some of things you listed. Just saying......

I'm utterly shocked that you choose to sit here and defend horrible people. And by shocked, I'm not because clearly you're cool with it. You're right, life is tough and isn't fair, but it could be less tough and more fair if folks weren't like that and minded their own business. You could play your part in making the world better if you decided to not be some of things you listed. Just saying......

I'm not defending any of them, but I'm also realistic to know that we're (you nor I) not going to change some people.
There's a lot of people who are staunch in their convictions, whether we agree with the convictions or not, and aren't going to change no matter how much convincing you try to do. It's just the way it is.
Therefore, I'm not going to waste my time and enegy fighting a battle I'm most likely not going to win.
As far as folks minding their own business; isn't that what the couple in the cake situation should have done when they realized the baker wasn't interested in their money?

I'm not defending any of them, but I'm also realistic to know that we're (you nor I) not going to change some people.
There's a lot of people who are staunch in their convictions, whether we agree with the convictions or not, and aren't going to change no matter how much convincing you try to do. It's just the way it is.
Therefore, I'm not going to waste my time and enegy fighting a battle I'm most likely not going to win.
As far as folks minding their own business; isn't that what the couple in the cake situation should have done when they realized the baker wasn't interested in their money?

I don’t know, should the white people have minded theirs when black people came into the diner instead of throwing food and pouring drinks on them and telling them to leave all those years ago?

Change can only happen when people say enough is enough. I know it’s difficult for you to sympathize and definitely empathize, but not everyone has been afforded the privileges you take for granted every single day.

I’m sad for you that you don’t seem to understand that.

Here’s an idea. Maybe not spend your morning copying and pasting shit about mike pence as a way to get me to change my mind. Umm, I mean HELL-FUKKING-O dude.
I actually know the guy....and I know his heart. Would he rather there be only relationships between a man and woman...sure, that's a fact. Would he take your freedoms away from you, or would he shun you when meeting you...no. Would he treat you as an equal...yes.

So please....quit being dramatic about it.

I don’t know, should the white people have minded theirs when black people came into the diner instead of throwing food and pouring drinks on them and telling them to leave all those years ago?

Change can only happen when people say enough is enough. I know it’s difficult for you to sympathize and definitely empathize, but not everyone has been afforded the privileges you take for granted every single day.

If one doesn' make an issue of their "gayness", would someone not serve them? What I've seen is it only occurs after someone seeks attention for their "choice". I'm guessing those who refused didn't have a clue those wanting cupcakes were gay before they decided to make a scene about it.

Reactions: SKYDOG

If one doesn' make an issue of their "gayness", would someone not serve them? What I've seen is it only occurs after someone seeks attention for their "choice". I'm guessing those who refused didn't have a clue those wanting cupcakes were gay before they decided to make a scene about it.

So stfu and just take the discrimination huh? Got it.

So stfu and just take the discrimination huh? Got it.
Where was the discrimination before it was announced they were gay, knowing they wouldn't be served at this establishment. They simply wanted attention and got it.

I'm against discrimination, but I'm also against the rules being different for someone else.

It was a gay couple asking for a cake to be made. It doesn’t take much dude. Jesus.
No it doesn't take much. Just announcing you're gay before you asked to have it baked, knowing that this family's religion told them homosexuality/lesbianism was wrong.

If I'm fair, I'll stand behind someone's right not to serve someone else....even when it's Sarah Sanders. And I'll stand behind someone's right to go somewhere else if someone says no to their request.

Would you want to do business with someone who doesn't want you there?

It was a gay couple asking for a cake to be made. It doesn’t take much dude. Jesus.
No it doesn't take much. Just announcing you're gay before you asked to have it baked, knowing that this family's religion told them homosexuality/lesbianism was wrong.

If I'm fair, I'll stand behind someone's right not to serve someone else....even when it's Sarah Sanders. And I'll stand behind someone's right to go somewhere else if someone says no to their request.

I’ve said several times that they are free to refuse service. But again if it’s discriminatory then don’t cry about it when others find out.

Like i also said, it’s a bitch when the shoe is on the other foot.

But I feel certain that screwing a porn star while your wife was recovering from childbirth wouldn't be a religious limitation on their cake baking. BS and I'm not gay and damn well know.

I’ve said several times that they are free to refuse service. But again if it’s discriminatory then don’t cry about it when others find out.

But....it's not discriminatory. Wasn' and never will be under the ruse of equality. It was a set up to embarass religious folks. You know it and I know it.

But....it's not discriminatory. Wasn' and never will be under the ruse of equality. It was a set up to embarass religious folks. You know it and I know it.

Of course it’s discriminatory. They were just given permission to hide the discrimination behind religion. In other words it’s semantics. You can believe otherwise but that’s all it is.

Twin: two men went into a bakery to choose and order a cake for their wedding. Now this is only a guess on my part, but I don’t think it was “attention seeking”. I think the cake baker figured it out [/QUOTE]

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT