ADVERTISEMENT

Edey Frustration

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
Edey seems very frustrated the last few games to the point that mentally he seems to not be in the game. It impacts his shots, his decision making, defense and free throw shooting. I wonder about two things impacting him:

1. He realizes now that despite being National Player of the Year and Painters complaining, Big Ten referees are going to continue to let him be hacked. He will be fouled 20 times a game and 5-10 will be called. Looking forward to a whole season of this is not a fun prospect. Not only does it impact his game, the physical wear and tear tire him physically and mentally as the season goes on.

2. Teams watching the last two games will be running plays making him switch to smaller athletic players going at him hoping to draw a couple early fouls. Zach gets very timid after foul #3 on defense and offense. Once he gets 2 the in out of the game is not something he is used to nor is Painter on how best to handle it.

He seems sluggish and not as quick as usual. Showing the frustration a lot more now.
Time to buckle down and go back to basics.

Edey seems very frustrated the last few games to the point that mentally he seems to not be in the game. It impacts his shots, his decision making, defense and free throw shooting. I wonder about two things impacting him:

1. He realizes now that despite being National Player of the Year and Painters complaining, Big Ten referees are going to continue to let him be hacked. He will be fouled 20 times a game and 5-10 will be called. Looking forward to a whole season of this is not a fun prospect. Not only does it impact his game, the physical wear and tear tire him physically and mentally as the season goes on.

2. Teams watching the last two games will be running plays making him switch to smaller athletic players going at him hoping to draw a couple early fouls. Zach gets very timid after foul #3 on defense and offense. Once he gets 2 the in out of the game is not something he is used to nor is Painter on how best to handle it.
Painter is looking out for his players. I would hope that he would say things to the officials about Edey getting mugged every game. Not sure how that affects Edey with Painter talking to the officials.

I am thinking the same way. He looks disgusted and or frustrated. After one incident he put his jersey in his mouth and chomped down on it like he didn't want to say what was on his mind so to avoid a whistle.

I’m guessing the combination of getting beat on, hacked and held plus an ongoing campaign by opposing coaches, players and fan bases to try and get more calls against him (which both are really intensifying in B1G play) may take a toll on him physically and emotionally. I think he probably is focused on unfinished business in March and just wants to get to the tournament and get through the meat grinder of the B1G without injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT