ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb, early, but Purdue a #3 seed

With Purdues roster right now... 3 seed might be high. It's going to take some big jumps from Smith, Loyer and TKR. Smith will probably take the biggest hit from Edey leaving. TKR could actually be helped out if he can expand his post game or expand his shooting range. 3 seed seems like a max potential. 5 or 6 seed might be more appropriate going into the season. Gonna be an interesting team to watch and see how Painters changes things with Edey gone.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Not high on Rutgers either. I know they bring in two Top 5 recruits, but the rest of the team seems rough. A 5 seed? High. Nebraska? Ehh... 7 seed might be high. 8 is probably max for Indiana. I don't think Maryland even makes the tourney.

Either way, 18 teams in the B1G and only 9 getting in... Pretty bad.

Not high on Rutgers either. I know they bring in two Top 5 recruits, but the rest of the team seems rough. A 5 seed? High. Nebraska? Ehh... 7 seed might be high. 8 is probably max for Indiana. I don't think Maryland even makes the tourney.

Either way, 18 teams in the B1G and only 9 getting in... Pretty bad.
Rutgers losing some good players ... and I don't care how good the incoming recruits are, they're still freshmen. Go ask Kentucky how that works out

We're typically in people's top 10s going into next season. So it kinda fits to be a 3-seed really. But yeah, too early to be doing this.

Jerry Palm typically doesn't do one right after the season. I ran into him in between games Saturday. He said he was done with his regular CBS duties and could just be a fan and drink beer. Next thing I saw he was in England watching his favorite Manchester City squad.

Rutgers losing some good players ... and I don't care how good the incoming recruits are, they're still freshmen. Go ask Kentucky how that works out
It still worked out for Kentucky for the most part... But they had 4 or 5 McDonalds All-Americans as freshman and then maybe a sophomore or two at the same level. Rutgers has 2. And then some randoms. Lost Cliff and Mag as well. And Pikiell has yet to prove he can coach an offense worth a darn.

I'd say top 25 team to start the season with room to grow. Too much uncertainty about a whole host of teams in the conference with either tons of great players leaving and/or tons of new players coming in. Plus conference expansion.

It still worked out for Kentucky for the most part... But they had 4 or 5 McDonalds All-Americans as freshman and then maybe a sophomore or two at the same level. Rutgers has 2. And then some randoms. Lost Cliff and Mag as well. And Pikiell has yet to prove he can coach an offense worth a darn.
Cliff is a significant loss, but Mag has been more of a headache the last year. Mag was disruptive to the team. Mag influenced many players on the team, which led to Pike cleaning house in the off-season. There is a whole story behind Mag, but I won't get into it. Cliff will graduate this May, and he realized his NBA window is closing, so it was understood he is leaving to get a big NIL, but I'm not sure how that works out for foreign students. Btw, Pike ran a more uptempo offense but lacked players to run it. The team never recovered from the loss of Cam Spencer and Paul Malcuhy.

So far, Pike has picked up players to fit his system. His first transfer commitment was Tyson Acuff, the MAC's leading scorer at 22 a game. Another transfer is Jordan Derkack, who averaged close to 20 pts a game. Also, he was player of the year for the NEC and a two-time defensive player of the year. And the thing is that most outsiders focus on Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper, but they fail to realize Rutgers has two 4-stars in that class, too. They are Sommerville and Dotch. One of two possible pickups soon is G/W Jadon Jones. Jones was the Big West defensive player of the year (2023) while averaging 12 pts and 5 boards this year.

The defense should be fine, but the chance of the offense being more explosive is more significant this year. Rutgers is looking for a big man. Some fans speculate Cliff may change his mind and return. I don't think that is realistic, but who knows? I almost forgot: Rutgers picked up Zach Martini of Princeton. A 6-9 slow-footed 4 who shoots the 3 well. I think he may be a liability on defense due to lack of quickness, but somehow, he beats guys off the dribble to the basket. It might have something to do with being a 3 pt threat. 🤣

I'd say top 25 team to start the season with room to grow. Too much uncertainty about a whole host of teams in the conference with either tons of great players leaving and/or tons of new players coming in. Plus conference expansion.
Being in the Midwest region and Reaching the S16 at the end of them year in Indy would be pretty cool. Whatever happens after that is great. That’d make 6 S16 in 8 years.

I think, if we can retain mostly everyone and get a key recruit here or there (if we have room 😂), the Midwest regional is in Chicago and the final four is in Indy. now THAT would be great if we could be in that region and get to the F4 in Indy in 2026.

Being in the Midwest region and Reaching the S16 at the end of them year in Indy would be pretty cool. Whatever happens after that is great. That’d make 6 S16 in 8 years.

I think, if we can retain mostly everyone and get a key recruit here or there (if we have room 😂), the Midwest regional is in Chicago and the final four is in Indy. now THAT would be great if we could be in that region and get to the F4 in Indy in 2026.
2026 should be a pretty good team. Smith, Loyer, TKR as seniors. Heide and Colvin as Juniors, possibly Berg. Five sophs, possibly six if Catchings isn't quite ready for the NBA.

Odds are we lose one player. That would open up a portal player to fill whatever niche we need filled.

Cliff is a significant loss, but Mag has been more of a headache the last year. Mag was disruptive to the team. Mag influenced many players on the team, which led to Pike cleaning house in the off-season. There is a whole story behind Mag, but I won't get into it. Cliff will graduate this May, and he realized his NBA window is closing, so it was understood he is leaving to get a big NIL, but I'm not sure how that works out for foreign students. Btw, Pike ran a more uptempo offense but lacked players to run it. The team never recovered from the loss of Cam Spencer and Paul Malcuhy.

So far, Pike has picked up players to fit his system. His first transfer commitment was Tyson Acuff, the MAC's leading scorer at 22 a game. Another transfer is Jordan Derkack, who averaged close to 20 pts a game. Also, he was player of the year for the NEC and a two-time defensive player of the year. And the thing is that most outsiders focus on Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper, but they fail to realize Rutgers has two 4-stars in that class, too. They are Sommerville and Dotch. One of two possible pickups soon is G/W Jadon Jones. Jones was the Big West defensive player of the year (2023) while averaging 12 pts and 5 boards this year.

The defense should be fine, but the chance of the offense being more explosive is more significant this year. Rutgers is looking for a big man. Some fans speculate Cliff may change his mind and return. I don't think that is realistic, but who knows? I almost forgot: Rutgers picked up Zach Martini of Princeton. A 6-9 slow-footed 4 who shoots the 3 well. I think he may be a liability on defense due to lack of quickness, but somehow, he beats guys off the dribble to the basket. It might have something to do with being a 3 pt threat. 🤣
Derkack: 27% 3pt shooter
Griffiths: 28% 3pt shooter
Acuff: 29% 3pt shooter

I'm going to say Rutgers offense... Won't be explosive. It's still a Steve Pikiell coached team. "explosive" is a team that averages 80+. Not 70. It'll be the same grind, hack and slash method he's coached for years.

Finishing essentially in the top 10 and get a 3 seed? I don't even know why people read that junk. It's like mock drafts, who gives a flying J about Mel Kiper's mocks? But apparently enough people click on it to make it worth it. I miss real news.

Regarding 2024-25, the production returning is quite low, especially compared to previous years. The team will have 5 upperclassman? As of now, until I know more about summer workouts, lineups, and the last potential departure, I think Purdue may be a ranked in the top 25 part of the season, that's assuming at least 1 freshman starts. My current hope they make the tourney and extend the streak to 10 in a row. Will Purdue even finish in the top 5 in the BIG10?

Finishing essentially in the top 10 and get a 3 seed? I don't even know why people read that junk. It's like mock drafts, who gives a flying J about Mel Kiper's mocks? But apparently enough people click on it to make it worth it. I miss real news.

Regarding 2024-25, the production returning is quite low, especially compared to previous years. The team will have 5 upperclassman? As of now, until I know more about summer workouts, lineups, and the last potential departure, I think Purdue may be a ranked in the top 25 part of the season, that's assuming at least 1 freshman starts. My current hope they make the tourney and extend the streak to 10 in a row. Will Purdue even finish in the top 5 in the BIG10?
Yes. They will.

Derkack: 27% 3pt shooter
Griffiths: 28% 3pt shooter
Acuff: 29% 3pt shooter

I'm going to say Rutgers offense... Won't be explosive. It's still a Steve Pikiell coached team. "explosive" is a team that averages 80+. Not 70. It'll be the same grind, hack and slash method he's coached for years.
I see what you did. 🤣 You did a quick check and threw some numbers out there without context.

I wouldn't call Derkack's shooting percentage great, but between his frosh and sophomore year, he went up by 8%. Also, he was the main scorer for the team since his frosh year, and opponents focused on him. I admit he took a lot of bad shots because of it, but hopefully, with better players around him, he'll be more selective with his shots. That will not be the case at Rutgers, as he has 2 years left.

Griffiths is now the problem of Nebraska.

Acuff had no help, contributing to his low shooting (3) percentage. If you took the time to look at the year before when he had other scorers with him, Acuff shot 35% from 3. Acuff will have help this year.

Don't forget about Martini. He shot 39% from the field.

The word is that Rutgers is close to adding another transfer, as he is visiting campus as we speak. Jadon Jones shot 38% from 3.

With the way Rutgers plays defense, scoring in the low 70 is enough and considered explosive by their standards.

I see what you did. 🤣 You did a quick check and threw some numbers out there without context.

I wouldn't call Derkack's shooting percentage great, but between his frosh and sophomore year, he went up by 8%. Also, he was the main scorer for the team since his frosh year, and opponents focused on him. I admit he took a lot of bad shots because of it, but hopefully, with better players around him, he'll be more selective with his shots. That will not be the case at Rutgers, as he has 2 years left.

Griffiths is now the problem of Nebraska.

Acuff had no help, contributing to his low shooting (3) percentage. If you took the time to look at the year before when he had other scorers with him, Acuff shot 35% from 3. Acuff will have help this year.

Don't forget about Martini. He shot 39% from the field.

The word is that Rutgers is close to adding another transfer, as he is visiting campus as we speak. Jadon Jones shot 38% from 3.

With the way Rutgers plays defense, scoring in the low 70 is enough and considered explosive by their standards.
Under 30% is bad. The context really doesn't matter. It's bad. It's horrid actually.

Under 30% is bad. The context really doesn't matter. It's bad. It's horrid actually.
In fairness, we heard similar complaints about Lance Jones last year, but what was missing in the conversation was the context. I no nothing about these new Rutgers transfers, but I do think that it is a bit too easy at times to look at a stat sheet and make definitive judgements.

I won't be surprised (or disappointed) if Purdue gets off to a rough start next year while searching for its post-Edey identity--especially if the schedule is similar to this past season.

But, I also won't be surprised if Purdue makes a Jan/Feb run in the B1G. Next year's team will be talented and athletic. And Painter's a good enough coach to put it all together.

I won't be surprised (or disappointed) if Purdue gets off to a rough start next year while searching for its post-Edey identity--especially if the schedule is similar to this past season.

But, I also won't be surprised if Purdue makes a Jan/Feb run in the B1G. Next year's team will be talented and athletic. And Painter's a good enough coach to put it all together.
For sure. I don’t think we see the early dominance/success that we have seen the last 3 years, but expect for the team to start clicking mid to late January. Would be cool to “3 Pete”…but going to be tough with edey gone, but still doable.

Reactions: rgarlitz
For sure. I don’t think we see the early dominance/success that we have seen the last 3 years, but expect for the team to start clicking mid to late January. Would be cool to “3 Pete”…but going to be tough with edey gone, but still doable.
Similar to '95. A lot of people wrote that team off as just a bunch of role players post-Big Dog--especially after it had a 3-game losing streak in December.

But they had grit and talent and Zo. And they won the B1G championship.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT