ADVERTISEMENT

Did the world just end?

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Just wondering.

Hey, we lost a basketball game. It happens. To a good team that played as well as they possibly could. Their shooters went off. 2 28-footers. A guy who's never made one made one. Every single roll of the rim for Edey fell off. We had a couple of really crappy calls that affected the game a ton. I'm not saying there weren't some calls that went our way, but Lance Jones 5th foul and Edey's 3rd were horrendous calls. Jones' was enormous.

I also really think there's a thing with these Wilson basketballs too.

I'm disappointed, believe me, and I was there. But the sun will come up tomorrow. There are fixes that need to be made, like continuing the stellar ball movement that we had in the first 12-15 minutes. Like defending the pick-and-roll better. I think we will see Heide play more. Gillis will play more.

On to Iowa. Boiler Up, Hammer Down.

For good or ill, I am desensitized to these kinds of performances and just shrug now because the film is the same: Boilers look great to begin and get out to a nice lead in the first half but fail to run away due to a pronounced shooting drought. The other team has a guard who takes advantage of Purdue's inability to stop pick-and-roll/exploit help defense near the basket, and some unknown dude/heretofore poor shooter starts hitting 3s. Painter spends half his time looking like Touchdown Jesus when calls aren't made. Boilers play tight at both ends (and the foul line) in the scramble to come back. Fin, fade to black and Vegas gold.

There does seem to be something about those Wilson balls. Since they are what the NCAA insists upon using in the tourney, Purdue either needs to get special dispensation from Nike or tell Nike to kick rocks and use the Wilsons in practice and at home games.

You tell me that our best player has 35 and 14 and we out rebound them by 20, I’d say we have a good shot at winning. But yeah, it’s basketball and sometimes ya just don’t shoot well and the other team hits rough shots. It’s the 8th game of the season and I’m not ready to say it’s exactly like last year. I’ll give it another month and half before I start saying that. If it happens (hopefully not) I will join in with everyone.

You tell me that our best player has 35 and 14 and we out rebound them by 20, I’d say we have a good shot at winning. But yeah, it’s basketball and sometimes ya just don’t shoot well and the other team hits rough shots. It’s the 8th game of the season and I’m not ready to say it’s exactly like last year. I’ll give it another month and half before I start saying that. If it happens (hopefully not) I will join in with everyone.
our center had 35 but their guards outscored our guards by 33

Just wondering.

Hey, we lost a basketball game. It happens. To a good team that played as well as they possibly could. Their shooters went off. 2 28-footers. A guy who's never made one made one. Every single roll of the rim for Edey fell off. We had a couple of really crappy calls that affected the game a ton. I'm not saying there weren't some calls that went our way, but Lance Jones 5th foul and Edey's 3rd were horrendous calls. Jones' was enormous.

I'm disappointed, believe me, and I was there. But the sun will come up tomorrow. There are fixes that need to be made, like continuing the stellar ball movement that we had in the first 12-15 minutes. Like defending the pick-and-roll better. I think we will see Heide play more. Gillis will play more.

On to Iowa. Boiler Up, Hammer Down.
Correct , learn from it and get better. I liked Loyer's interview after the game, he said this game was not a goal, they want a Natty and this is just a step.

Reactions: tjreese
Our high school used to have both fiberglass and wood backboards. We used to use the wood backboards on our center court to throw off our opponents! It created a tremendous home court advantage. I believe it’s time Purdue started at least practicing with the Wilson ball. Our track record /history when playing with this ball has not been good or close to what it is with other balls.

our center had 35 but their guards outscored our guards by 33
For sure. Just saying if you were to say at the beginning of the game that Zach has 35 and 14 and we have 20+ rebounds more than them, I’d say we’d be in a good spot for a win. Obviously, our guards didn’t shoot it well or take care of the ball. Let’s see how they bounce back.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Our high school used to have both fiberglass and wood backboards. We used to use the wood backboards on our center court to throw off our opponents! It created a tremendous home court advantage. I believe it’s time Purdue started at least practicing with the Wilson ball. Our track record /history when playing with this ball has not been good or close to what it is with other balls.
You…had a wooden backboard? What year was this?

Most teams will let Edey his, they just want to limit the guards.

You…had a wooden backboard? What year was this?
1970-1974! Other high school teams hated playing us because the ball bounced a lot differently off the wood backboard. As I said, our school had the fiberglass backboards for practicing. But we annoyed the heck out of our opponents forcing them to play with the wood backboards!

For good or ill, I am desensitized to these kinds of performances and just shrug now because the film is the same: Boilers look great to begin and get out to a nice lead in the first half but fail to run away due to a pronounced shooting drought. The other team has a guard who takes advantage of Purdue's inability to stop pick-and-roll/exploit help defense near the basket, and some unknown dude/heretofore poor shooter starts hitting 3s. Painter spends half his time looking like Touchdown Jesus when calls aren't made. Boilers play tight at both ends (and the foul line) in the scramble to come back. Fin, fade to black and Vegas gold.

There does seem to be something about those Wilson balls. Since they are what the NCAA insists upon using in the tourney, Purdue either needs to get special dispensation from Nike or tell Nike to kick rocks and use the Wilsons in practice and at home games.
For good or ill, I am desensitized to these kinds of performances and just shrug now because the film is the same:

Well done!
By that you must mean that you've grown up and come to understand that even the best teams lose games once in while. That winning 9 out of 10 games on a 'routine' basis is exceptional performance by ALL involved and worth of praise and loyalty.
You understand that whining like toddlers that got their googie taken away doesn't do anything but make your nose run badly.
Nice to see some of the dark side with an actual reality based response.
Again, well done.

For good or ill, I am desensitized to these kinds of performances and just shrug now because the film is the same:

Well done!
By that you must mean that you've grown up and come to understand that even the best teams lose games once in while. That winning 9 out of 10 games on a 'routine' basis is exceptional performance by ALL involved and worth of praise and loyalty.
You understand that whining like toddlers that got their googie taken away doesn't do anything but make your nose run badly.
Nice to see some of the dark side with an actual reality based response.
Again, well done.
The dark side? I'm one of the biggest Painter apologists on here!

I would be absolutely shocked if Purdue didn't use Wilson as much as possible before the game where it will be a Wilson ball. Many high schools don't have the budget to switch all the balls to the designated tourney ball "IF" different. They may have a few balls of a different brand, but probably not a big change of balls for the most part. They will just push the other brands down to lower grades generally. I'm a believer that a ball can make a difference, but would be shocked with this level of play that practice was not with the ball about to be used for the time available...and time available might not be enough...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Just wondering.

On to Iowa. Boiler Up, Hammer No kidding... I just looked Painter has 3 of the top 89 Rivals 150 players coming in next season. First Purdue should have made it to the Final 4 in 2018 - 2019 if not for great fortune in Virginia's favor. The fan base on here and on Hammer continue to move the goal post. I remember the rants Painter can't recruit. A reply back to me after the NW loss was Purdue just gets ranked #1 and loses, same thing etc... Last year Purdue was #1 for like 6 straight weeks. I GUARANTEE YOU if Purdue makes it to the elite 8 in March and loses in OT. The fans will be screaming for Painter to be fired. It is ridiculous...

He makes it to the E8, I’d be thrilled. Any time you get to the second weekend you need luck too because you face some really good teams playing really good ball.

Most teams will let Edey his, they just want to limit the guards.
And in other teams letting Edey get his, they will foul the living daylights out of him to the point where it results in him missing free throws and bunnies around the basket. Purdue will see this all season long.

And in other teams letting Edey get his, they will foul the living daylights out of him to the point where it results in him missing free throws and bunnies around the basket. Purdue will see this all season long.
You can't rely on the refs calling fouls as part of your strategy. Just like in football, you could probably call holding on every play, but they don't/won't.
If you were an opposing coach, how would you play Purdue? Swarm Edey and be very physical, dare the refs to call every foul. Make him earn it from the FT line.

You can't rely on the refs calling fouls as part of your strategy. Just like in football, you could probably call holding on every play, but they don't/won't.
If you were an opposing coach, how would you play Purdue? Swarm Edey and be very physical, dare the refs to call every foul. Make him earn it from the FT line.
but you have to do that with enough bodies and bodies that are not your offensive players.

but you have to do that with enough bodies and bodies that are not your offensive players.
But if you have a dynamic guard who can get his own shot and finish, like NU did, you don't have to rely on your bigs on offense. Use their 5 fouls, hope for a garbage bucket here and there and let your scoring guards create.

Reactions: tjreese
But if you have a dynamic guard who can get his own shot and finish, like NU did, you don't have to rely on your bigs on offense. Use their 5 fouls, hope for a garbage bucket here and there and let your scoring guards create.
Oh I get all that and why I said NW really is the model for beating Purdue and even then it took their stars to align. They throw big bodies at Zach and if the refs don't call it...great for them and if they do call it...they still have 3 big bodies to use as fouls (15 possessions) where they can foul to stop a basket if all 15 were only used in that situation. 15 possessions where maybe it was likely a score that was stopped is huge.

We know they foul outside that situations some, but they start with 15 that does NOT affect their offense much and does affect Purdue's offense. I'd like to see a team with a rim protector somewhat really overplay the right hand of Boo...giving him the green light to drive, but always on his right hand side and see how it goes. He isn't going to beat you with his left and he would always have to bring the ball to you if you overplayed his right...unless he absolutely blew by you enough to get the ball in his right hand and you were not there.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT