ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis channels his inner Trump

BuilderBob6

All-American
Jan 27, 2007
North Carolina
Corporate criticism of laws made by the state are not allowed. The state will take measures to punish you if you don't fall in line with our agenda. You can think the laws are wrong, just don't say it. Culture is more important than free speech. The power of the state to control it is more important than free speech.

Just like trump. You criticize him or don't support him, vengeance awaits.

See you in court.

Mind you, I'm not taking a stance here on the law itself, just the state retaliation.......please tell me what else it is......against a corporation speaking out against a law.

Mind you, I'm not taking a stance here on the law itself, just the state retaliation.......please tell me what else it is......against a corporation speaking out against a law.
It is retaliation. So what was Disney expecting? For decades they have enjoyed a special self-governing exemption that few other companies enjoyed, then they insulted the state legislature and the governor regarding an issue in which they had no business sticking their noses into.

There is a moral to this story. When someone treats you nicely and does a generous favor for you, you don't pay them back by pulling your pants down on their front porch and leaving them with a large bowel movement to clean up.

Corporate criticism of laws made by the state are not allowed. The state will take measures to punish you if you don't fall in line with our agenda. You can think the laws are wrong, just don't say it. Culture is more important than free speech. The power of the state to control it is more important than free speech.

See you in court.

I thought Democrats were always for corporations paying their far share in taxes. The Disney company has not been. Now that Disney has been getting special considerations for years, Democrats now seem to want them to continue not to pay their far share.

It is retaliation. So what was Disney expecting? For decades they have enjoyed a special self-governing exemption that few other companies enjoyed, then they insulted the state legislature and the governor regarding an issue in which they had no business sticking their noses into.

There is a moral to this story. When someone treats you nicely and does a generous favor for you, you don't pay them back by pulling your pants down on their front porch and leaving them with a large bowel movement to clean up.
Except corporations should be able to express their opinions without fear of government retaliation, which of course is what is happening. DeSantis is a baby and this is his response. Let’s also not pretend Disney doesn’t line Republican pockets either. It’s a childish look by DeSantis. Then again, he’s a child.

I thought Democrats were always for corporations paying their far share in taxes. The Disney company has not been. Now that Disney has been getting special considerations for years, Democrats now seem to want them to continue not to pay their far share.
Nice attempt at whataboutism here. Maybe try again.

See you in court.

You could give a red rat's ass about this. You're just lonely again.

Except corporations should be able to express their opinions without fear of government retaliation, which of course is what is happening. DeSantis is a baby and this is his response. Let’s also not pretend Disney doesn’t line Republican pockets either. It’s a childish look by DeSantis. Then again, he’s a child.
How many billions has Disney made off Florida? It's time they ante up.

How many billions has Disney made off Florida? It's time they ante up.
And more to the point, does Disney really think that kindergarten kids need to be taught about gender dysphoria? “Tommy, do you sometimes feel more like a little girl than a little boy? Did you know that you can become a little girl if you want to?”

These kids are four years old.

And more to the point, does Disney really think that kindergarten kids need to be taught about gender dysphoria? “Tommy, do you sometimes feel more like a little girl than a little boy? Did you know that you can become a little girl if you want to?”

These kids are four years old.
And has Disney said that’s what they want to happen? Quit being ridiculous.

Reactions: Purduer and indy35

Probably expecting to not be punished for expressing an opinion.

Is that your take on this......serves them right? While completely ignoring the efforts by the state to suppress free expression? Are you freaking serious?

They didn't leave a bowel movement? Wtf is wrong with you. They expressed an opinion. So we should just go along with whatever the state does if they did something for us? What do you call that?

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Probably expecting to not be punished for expressing an opinion. Is that your take on this......serves them right? While completely ignoring the efforts by the state to suppress free expression?
So those with the 'opinion' that we should support racial segregation, beatings of gays and lynchings of black 'trouble-makers' should be encouraged so that we don't suppress free expression. Right?

So those with the 'opinion' that we should support racial segregation, beatings of gays and lynchings of black 'trouble-makers' should be encouraged so that we don't suppress free expression. Right?
Good lord with your pretzel logic

No. We don't have to support or encourage their positions. We do have to support their RIGHT TO EXPRESS their positions.

Can the state punish them monetarily for having those beliefs or positions?

What is so hard here? Why are you deflecting?

Why don't you answer a question put forth to you and then you might actually address the real problem here......or at least acknowledge it.

Can the state punish them monetarily for having those beliefs or positions?
Honest to God, what is wrong with you? Their privileged status has been revoked. The reason was that they support grotesque depravity in little kids. These progressives are sick in the head, much like the KKK and Proud Boys. If we had a cadre of goons who wanted a return to slavery and lynching, that should also be rejected? They have beliefs and positions. Should they be punished for that?

Honest to God, what is wrong with you? Their privileged status has been revoked. The reason was that they support grotesque depravity in little kids. These progressives are sick in the head, much like the KKK and Proud Boys. If we had a cadre of goons who wanted a return to slavery and lynching, that should also be rejected? They have beliefs and positions. Should they be punished for that?
Would you stop cherry picking the freakin questions you want to answer?

Nononono. They don't support grotesque depravity in little kids. They don't support the freakin LAW. READ THE LAW that was passed. You only believe what you are told is in the law. You're misinformed, lazy, or lying.

KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR LIVES. DAMN MASK MANDATES. but they can punish us for objecting to their laws. No problem.

Reactions: indy35
KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR LIVES. DAMN MASK MANDATES. but they can punish us for objecting to their laws. No problem.
Bob, how on earth can you go from LGBTQ-centric El-Ed teachers in Florida preaching gender confusion to 5-yr-olds to COVID mask mandates?

Straw men? Do you want me to start talking about Nancyboys? And trans freaks?
I don't know why you would, I don't see the relevance. You stated that the schools were teaching sexual depravity to kids, which they were not. So, you're trying to knock down a straw man version of what sex education (or, in some cases, simply acknowledging the existence of people who are not cisgender and heterosexual) actually is.

Last edited:

See you in court.

Nah, when you get special treatment from the state of Florida that no other corporation gets, and then you bite the hand that gives you that special treatment, you get it taken away from you. It's pretty simple.

Disney can speak all they want. There are just consequences to that. Florida doesn't owe them special treatment.

BTW, not sure there's any other private entity within the US that has the privilege of self-policing and self-zoning like Disney does. Probably shouldn't have happened in the first place...

Probably shouldn't have happened in the first place...
I think I probably agree with this (I don't know enough about the circumstances of the agreement to have a fully-formed opinion), but I'd be surprised if the original agreement includes any stipulation that Disney must agree with -- or at least express no negative opinion of -- all laws passed in the state or lose their status. If Democrats were in power there and passed a law codifying the right to abortion or more heavily regulating firearms, would you say that the lawmakers would be justified in this same action if Disney spoke out against said law?

Not sure how taking away exemptions that no other corporation gets and probably never should have received is "retaliation". Has the Disney CEO been jailed for speaking out? No. Has Disney been fined for speaking out? No. Has Disney lost a privilege they had as an exemption from existing laws? Yes. Free speech still exists. But there are consequences for what you say...

I think I probably agree with this (I don't know enough about the circumstances of the agreement to have a fully-formed opinion), but I'd be surprised if the original agreement includes any stipulation that Disney must agree with -- or at least express no negative opinion of -- all laws passed in the state or lose their status. If Democrats were in power there and passed a law codifying the right to abortion or more heavily regulating firearms, would you say that the lawmakers would be justified in this same action if Disney spoke out against said law?
Exemptions to existing laws are a privilege passed by lawmakers. They are literally an exception given to individuals based on circumstances. Those same lawmakers can rescind that privilege as well.

I'm not sure you can use the word "justified" in any scenario. I'm not sure I like what happened. But corporations face consequences for their political opinions as well. Personally, I'm not sure why corporations feel the need to take stances on social justice. Let your employees take their own personal stance....

Nah, when you get special treatment from the state of Florida that no other corporation gets, and then you bite the hand that gives you that special treatment, you get it taken away from you. It's pretty simple.

Disney can speak all they want. There are just consequences to that. Florida doesn't owe them special treatment.

BTW, not sure there's any other private entity within the US that has the privilege of self-policing and self-zoning like Disney does. Probably shouldn't have happened in the first place...
DeSantis has been governor since 2019. Didn't change Disney's status until they spoke out against his law.

It's been that way for 50 years. Brought billions of business to Florida.

How did they bite the hand that feeds them? They spoke out against a law. That's it. That's not allowed anymore? That's what this is about. It was fine for the first three years.

You are saying the GOVERNMENT can put financial consequences on businesses for what they say? Are you? When an oil company criticizes Biden's green deal he can just take away their subsidies? No more federal leases to drill for that company?

DeSantis has been governor since 2019. Didn't change Disney's status until they spoke out against his law.

It's been that way for 50 years. Brought billions of business to Florida.

How did they bite the hand that feeds them? They spoke out against a law. That's it. That's not allowed anymore? That's what this is about. It was fine for the first three years.

You are saying the GOVERNMENT can put financial consequences on businesses for what they say? Are you? When an oil company criticizes Biden's green deal he can just take away their subsidies? No more federal leases to drill for that company?
What I'm saying, is when you get special treatment, it can get taken away. Disney had an exemption. If oil leases are a special treatment for one company, and not everyone, then yes, if you piss of a politician, it'll get ugly for you.

You think speaking out against a politician or a law they want to pass is going to get you on a fast track for favorable legislation to get passed for your company? It's the same f'ing thing.

Exemptions to existing laws are a privilege passed by lawmakers. They are literally an exception given to individuals based on circumstances. Those same lawmakers can rescind that privilege as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the reasons for rescinding the privilege are irrelevant as far as you're concerned? So, in my hypothetical, you'd hold the same opinion? I disagree with you, but appreciate that you're consistent.
I'm not sure you can use the word "justified" in any scenario. I'm not sure I like what happened. But corporations face consequences for their political opinions as well. Personally, I'm not sure why corporations feel the need to take stances on social justice. Let your employees take their own personal stance....
Largely, I think corporations take political stances for business reasons, not because of any fundamental belief, but that may just be my cynical side speaking. Movie studios, for instance, often get flack for promoting liberal messages in their films. While the artists who make the films might hold those beliefs, I'd bet hard that the movies wouldn't get made if they didn't make money for the studio. The studios, or other companies, don't REALLY care about the message, they just have a pretty good idea of what will sell.

I don't know how a corporation can have a collective belief, anyway, it's not a person (despite certain court rulings to the contrary). In the current issue, Disney initially didn't speak out and then started to after pressure from their employees. But, surely, a bunch of their employees also support the law. Same thing when Hobby Lobby wanted an exemption from providing birth control through their insurance plans because it violated their religious beliefs. How can Hobby Lobby, as an entity, believe in god? It makes little sense to me.

Reactions: PurdueFan1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the reasons for rescinding the privilege are irrelevant as far as you're concerned? So, in my hypothetical, you'd hold the same opinion? I disagree with you, but appreciate that you're consistent.

Largely, I think corporations take political stances for business reasons, not because of any fundamental belief, but that may just be my cynical side speaking. Movie studios, for instance, often get flack for promoting liberal messages in their films. While the artists who make the films might hold those beliefs, I'd bet hard that the movies wouldn't get made if they didn't make money for the studio. The studios, or other companies, don't REALLY care about the message, they just have a pretty good idea of what will sell.

I don't know how a corporation can have a collective belief, anyway, it's not a person (despite certain court rulings to the contrary). In the current issue, Disney initially didn't speak out and then started to after pressure from their employees. But, surely, a bunch of their employees also support the law. Same thing when Hobby Lobby wanted an exemption from providing birth control through their insurance plans because it violated their religious beliefs. How can Hobby Lobby, as an entity, believe in god? It makes little sense to me.
I think we're largely on the same page. IMHO, corporations need to abstain from taking social justice positions publicly,. Not all of their shareholders or their employees will agree with a single stance. So why do it? If you want to support your employees, let them speak freely in public unless they are representing you...

Reactions: bonefish1
I think we're largely on the same page. IMHO, corporations need to abstain from taking social justice positions publicly,. Not all of their shareholders or their employees will agree with a single stance. So why do it? If you want to support your employees, let them speak freely in public unless they are representing you...
I'll meet you half way lol. I'm ok with a corporation taking an official stance on an issue -- I just am cynical about the reasons they might choose to do so -- and don't think the government should care one way or the other. It should neither help a company that holds the same stance as those currently in elected office nor hinder a company that holds the opposite stance as those currently in elected office. Though I don't understand what it means to say it, Hobby Lobby can say it's a Christian company all it wants. My issue there was not so much with the stated belief, but that said stated belief allowed the company to opt out of part of the law with which its owners disagreed, thereby hurting their employees.

My issue here is this: Disney has taken a public stance disagreeing with a law. Those who passed said law have basically said, "oh, you disagree with us? Then we're going to make it harder for your company to do business in our state." That's why I used the word "justified" earlier. I'm not sure that's a justified reason for rescinding Disney's special status. If Disney was abusing that status or it was determined that the residents of Florida were being somehow hurt by it, then that's a totally fine reason to take this action. I don't think a differing opinion on a political issue is a good reason to do so, especially since such action looks like it's actually going to raise taxes on residents around the park. In this case, it just looks to me like the Florida Republicans want to "own the libs" and are trying to score political points by taking on a "woke" company -- even though there is nothing legally wrong with being "woke" -- despite the fact it might actually hurt those they are supposed to be representing.

All that said, I very much appreciate you haven't adopted the completely dishonest "Disney is a bunch of groomers who are trying to turn all our kids gay, so they deserve it" argument that some other posters and various pundits have used.

All that said, I very much appreciate you haven't adopted the completely dishonest "Disney is a bunch of groomers who are trying to turn all our kids gay, so they deserve it" argument that some other posters and various pundits have used.
Droid, don't you think that teaching gender dysphoria to 4-yr-olds is a bit over the top?

I'll meet you half way lol. I'm ok with a corporation taking an official stance on an issue -- I just am cynical about the reasons they might choose to do so -- and don't think the government should care one way or the other. It should neither help a company that holds the same stance as those currently in elected office nor hinder a company that holds the opposite stance as those currently in elected office. Though I don't understand what it means to say it, Hobby Lobby can say it's a Christian company all it wants. My issue there was not so much with the stated belief, but that said stated belief allowed the company to opt out of part of the law with which its owners disagreed, thereby hurting their employees.

My issue here is this: Disney has taken a public stance disagreeing with a law. Those who passed said law have basically said, "oh, you disagree with us? Then we're going to make it harder for your company to do business in our state." That's why I used the word "justified" earlier. I'm not sure that's a justified reason for rescinding Disney's special status. If Disney was abusing that status or it was determined that the residents of Florida were being somehow hurt by it, then that's a totally fine reason to take this action. I don't think a differing opinion on a political issue is a good reason to do so, especially since such action looks like it's actually going to raise taxes on residents around the park. In this case, it just looks to me like the Florida Republicans want to "own the libs" and are trying to score political points by taking on a "woke" company -- even though there is nothing legally wrong with being "woke" -- despite the fact it might actually hurt those they are supposed to be representing.

I don't like Disney's woke positions. But I also can't sit here and make a ridiculous claim that they're somehow grooming kids. Sorry, kids don't turn gay. Kids are born that way.

Now with that being said, I don't think there's any place for talking to kids about sexual identity (ie, LGBT identity) in school, other than respect for other's sexual identity, especially without the parent's knowledge. That's a job for a parent. If a child is struggling, and it's clear they need counseling, then the school administration should have a conversation with the parents. I'm not a fan of gay pride being placed in front of children in school. It doesn't belong there.

Truly one of the absolute dumbest things you’ve ever said, and believe me, that list is looooong

Not sure how taking away exemptions that no other corporation gets and probably never should have received is "retaliation". Has the Disney CEO been jailed for speaking out? No. Has Disney been fined for speaking out? No. Has Disney lost a privilege they had as an exemption from existing laws? Yes. Free speech still exists. But there are consequences for what you say...
Disney is losing an exemption because Ron DeSantis a pussy ass bitch, and nothing more.

Exactly. I mean, Disney has donated directly to DeSantis, so the entire argument by the potato brain and Patty are irrelevant

I don't like Disney's woke positions. But I also can't sit here and make a ridiculous claim that they're somehow grooming kids. Sorry, kids don't turn gay. Kids are born that way.

Now with that being said, I don't think there's any place for talking to kids about sexual identity (ie, LGBT identity) in school, other than respect for other's sexual identity, especially without the parent's knowledge. That's a job for a parent. If a child is struggling, and it's clear they need counseling, then the school administration should have a conversation with the parents. I'm not a fan of gay pride being placed in front of children in school. It doesn't belong there.
Woke positions. Good to see you’re using that scary right wing word of the month correctly. What exactly is “woke” about Disney saying “you know, we don’t agree with the government harassing a segment of the population “? If only you could be a little more “woke” then the world would be a little less awful.

Woke positions. Good to see you’re using that scary right wing word of the month correctly. What exactly is “woke” about Disney saying “you know, we don’t agree with the government harassing a segment of the population “? If only you could be a little more “woke” then the world would be a little less awful.
How exactly is NOT having discussions about LGBT topics in school harassing them? Please do tell...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT