ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Statistical Prediction Model

I find myself tuning out cases and instead am watching death totals almost exclusively.

Cases appear to be too convoluted by continual changing in testing (# tests administered kept going up in the past 2 weeks, backlogs in labs getting results mess with reporting, etc). We need it to keep increasing...just hard to tell where we are at with that data.

The deaths tell the story although the reporting there isn't clean immediately either (there are a lot of revisions so you almost have to wait a couple days to have confidence in daily totals, especially in places like NY were there are a lot of them).

Places like California demonstrate that social distancing is proving really effective in slowing and flattening this thing. LA and SF could have easily been in the position NY is in right now. It's maddening to see states and people not taking it seriously yet as it will only extend how long the rest of us are in for.

Hopefully I've already had it and just don't know it...I feel like we'll finally come out of quarantine and I'll immediately get sick....

Good points - I don't watch anything by itself -More specifically, . . I watch trends and velocity

Reactions: BleedinGold
I find myself tuning out cases and instead am watching death totals almost exclusively.

Cases appear to be too convoluted by continual changing in testing (# tests administered kept going up in the past 2 weeks, backlogs in labs getting results mess with reporting, etc). We need it to keep increasing...just hard to tell where we are at with that data.

The deaths tell the story although the reporting there isn't clean immediately either (there are a lot of revisions so you almost have to wait a couple days to have confidence in daily totals, especially in places like NY were there are a lot of them).

Places like California demonstrate that social distancing is proving really effective in slowing and flattening this thing. LA and SF could have easily been in the position NY is in right now. It's maddening to see states and people not taking it seriously yet as it will only extend how long the rest of us are in for.

Hopefully I've already had it and just don't know it...I feel like we'll finally come out of quarantine and I'll immediately get sick....

Agree on tracking deaths being much more relevant, number of cases is worthless stat.

Unfortunate New York didn't act sooner. Also unfortunate they allowed residents to leave state. Surprised Newsom has only got a very small fraction of the praise that Cuomo has gotten. Appears to me Newsom has done a much better job than Cuomo.

Surprised Newsom has only got a very small fraction of the praise that Cuomo has gotten. Appears to me Newsom has done a much better job than Cuomo.
People started social distancing out here before it was ordered (just like a lot of other places). Population density in CA is also less than in NYC. e.g. I live about 12 minutes from downtown San Diego and I have an acre.

You also wonder about our weather. It's not been warm, and it's rained a lot in the last month, but especially in San Diego we get a lot more sun than a lot of other places, which can help kill the virus outdoors anyway.

Overall, though, I recalled the conversation I had with my wife on March 11th about how this was going to decimate the economy, and two days later we started shutting down. It's amazing we've been at this for three weeks already out here... seems like a handful of days.

As of yesterday, there were 8 confirmed cases in my zip code.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Last week, when the death toll was under 1k, I remember arguing with someone somewhere who thought the death toll won't exceed 10k total. I told the person, we will cross that number in 2 weeks. 8 days later, we are at 7k dead. We will be well over 10k by monday.

we will be over 50k dead before then end of April. This is really sad

Talk about twisting the facts. Their death rate IS high because their healthcare system got overrun by patients and they had to start giving the ICU beds to those most likely to survive. The major media reported on this for weeks. (Google it) I think the U.S. will see the same thing in April. Yes, Italians had underlying conditions, but . . . that doesn't mean more couldn't have been saved if the healthcare system wasn't overrun.
I was simply stating what I heard from the German head of infectious diseases.

I was simply stating what I heard from the German head of infectious diseases.

I get that, but when things like this happen, you have to listen more to the people in the ICUs. Those "IN" the fight understand the issues far better.

Ironic, that one of my comments on Italy resurfaced today. Why? because I said we would FEEL like Italy before this was over. Here, in Anderson, we now FEEL like Italy - We now have a 12% death rate.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I get that, but when things like this happen, you have to listen more to the people in the ICUs. Those "IN" the fight understand the issues far better.

Ironic, that one of my comments on Italy resurfaced today. Why? because I said we would FEEL like Italy before this was over. Here, in Anderson, we now FEEL like Italy - We now have a 12% death rate.
Madison County is an outlier to Marion County and Indy. A lot of folks who work in Indy live in Madison County/Anderson because of lower costs of living. Thus, they're going to have more cases. Just as other surrounding counties.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler

Unfortunately, the confirmed death totals are lower than actual. If a patient suspected of COVID-19 dies before the test returns, it is canceled immediately to make room for another test for a living patient. Because there is such a backlog, they don't test the dead, only the living, so they can make proper medical management decisions.

In our rural county hospital, there have been 8 deaths suspected from Covid-19, but only 3 are confirmed. So officially, we only count 3, when it could be more.

Reading between the lines, I don't think Fauci really believes those numbers (at least on the upper end of range). The world total death is around 30K right now. If those numbers are close to accurate it doesn't seem logical that the U.S will 5 -6 times the current world total.

Birx cited a University of Washington model. That model is saying it could reach 80K in first wave of the virus. That may end up being too high, but that seems more logical.

We are entering a 2-3 wk period where no one knows what is going to shake out. The current trend says 30,000-50,000 by the end of April, but . . what that is NOT taking into account is the hospitals being overwhelmed without enough ventilators. (ie The Italy scenario)

I am "hoping" it stays in the 50,000-100,000 range this month, or the virus is going to impact every family in this country.

Reactions: 70boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT