ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Statistical Prediction Model

BoilerBulldog

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2011
New Hampshire
Not sure If anyone has come across this guy’s model for predicting how COVID will spread and then slow down. Apparently it’s been tracking very closely so far. If his model is correct, US will peak on 3/28 and we will end up with around 1400 deaths on 180,000 infections. Anyone with a stronger stat background than me want to take a look and give me your thoughts? This is a far more positive outlook than many are predicting.

https://dispensationalpublishing.com/covid-19-scientific-prediction-model-march-23/

Boy. Who wouldn't sign up for that right now? Too lazy to open link - does his modeling factor in existing cases that haven’t been diagnosed - and their impending spread?

Boy. Who wouldn't sign up for that right now? Too lazy to open link - does his modeling factor in existing cases that haven’t been diagnosed - and their impending spread?

90538231_10220328927747829_930132200819523584_n.jpg

Not sure If anyone has come across this guy’s model for predicting how COVID will spread and then slow down. Apparently it’s been tracking very closely so far. If his model is correct, US will peak on 3/28 and we will end up with around 1400 deaths on 180,000 infections. Anyone with a stronger stat background than me want to take a look and give me your thoughts? This is a far more positive outlook than many are predicting.

https://dispensationalpublishing.com/covid-19-scientific-prediction-model-march-23/

Haven’t opened the link but 1,400 deaths seems implausibly low—Italy had more than that just yesterday.

Fwiw Michigan hospitals believe the peak will hit around April 15. I think some death predictions are too high. This one is way too low.

Last edited:
Reactions: LUV4BEER
Interesting that the peak in the US is before the rest in April since we are on the trail of the spread and one of the farthest behind the curve on supplies.

I like it, but there is one concern. His modeling is predicated on a bell curve distribution of daily cases. I read an article recently that suggested that there is no evidence to suggest this will have to follow a bell curve. I need to find the source because I think this is the great unknown from a data/modeling standpoint. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I like it, but there is one concern. His modeling is predicated on a bell curve distribution of daily cases. I read an article recently that suggested that there is no evidence to suggest this will have to follow a bell curve. I need to find the source because I think this is the great unknown from a data/modeling standpoint. Thanks for sharing.
Here’s some info on Farr’s law.

https://towardsdatascience.com/what...has-to-say-about-the-coronavirus-2473894f03c5

Wow is he optimistic! I have been looking at models that put the peak in late April or early May. I can’t believe our numbers will be that low either. Man, I hope he is right.

There's not enough information on his initial assumptions to make an assessment on his models. However this statement is troubling: "When big enough, they average to a binomial distribution. (A “bell curve.”)" He's dealing with binomial distributions (diseased or not), (dead or not). With enough data the average of the binomial data asymptotically approaches a bell curve (normal or Gaussian distribution).

Because the Chinese hid the initial onsets of the disease and sent 100K (infected?) workers to Italy and Iran, their problems are exponentially worse.

I was at a testing site today. They tested 62 people. 58 had the flu and 4 had colds. It was fun. I was in the ER with chest pains and the coronavirus testing tents were right outside the window in my room. Turned out my electrolytes were out of balance.

There's not enough information on his initial assumptions to make an assessment on his models. However this statement is troubling: "When big enough, they average to a binomial distribution. (A “bell curve.”)" He's dealing with binomial distributions (diseased or not), (dead or not). With enough data the average of the binomial data asymptotically approaches a bell curve (normal or Gaussian distribution).

Because the Chinese hid the initial onsets of the disease and sent 100K (infected?) workers to Italy and Iran, their problems are exponentially worse.

I was at a testing site today. They tested 62 people. 58 had the flu and 4 had colds. It was fun. I was in the ER with chest pains and the coronavirus testing tents were right outside the window in my room. Turned out my electrolytes were out of balance.
Thanks. It will be interesting the next couple of days to see how the model trends.

I'm a little confused, are you saying using a binomial distribution is incorrect? Per the poster above, it seems he's applying Farr's Law to this and the article AluminDallas posted highlights some of the risk associated with that. Alum's article's first coronovirus graph is almost identical to this guy's model.

I'm a little confused, are you saying using a binomial distribution is incorrect? Per the poster above, it seems he's applying Farr's Law to this and the article AluminDallas posted highlights some of the risk associated with that. Alum's article's first coronovirus graph is almost identical to this guy's model.
The statement JoeZap mentioned stuck out to me as well. The issue isn't in the application of 'Farr's Law' (which don't assume 'law' in this instance implies the usual meaning of law in science, because it's not) or if it's binomial data (it is), it's in his phrasing which could either be a simple typo/not proof reading issue or a lack of statistical knowledge. Either way, with zero information about how the models were put together, I wouldn't put too much stock into what they have to say at this point.
He also says he nailed the prediction about when the peak in Europe would be, which seems odd to me considering the date he mentions is over a week away and I haven't seen anyone say Europe has peaked.

Reactions: James J Chitwood
Haha how could he possibly do that with so much unknown???
I don't think anybody is going to draw a line in the sand and say, "OK, everybody quarantine through Sunday, then on Monday morning, it's back to business." They'll ease back into things, little by little. Otherwise, more and more businesses will begin to shut their doors and people will lose their jobs permanently.

Hopefully the drugs they are beginning to use will continue to show promise. Our ability to effectively treat the infected will make folks a helluva lot more comfortable.

Reactions: mjgboiler
I don't think anybody is going to draw a line in the sand and say, "OK, everybody quarantine through Sunday, then on Monday morning, it's back to business." They'll ease back into things, little by little. Otherwise, more and more businesses will begin to shut their doors and people will lose their jobs permanently.

Hopefully the drugs they are beginning to use will continue to show promise. Our ability to effectively treat the infected will make folks a helluva lot more comfortable.
I think this is 100% correct. It is not binary. A real, effective treatment for this will be the cure for the fear AND the economy in my opinion. We aren’t there yet.

Reactions: mjgboiler
Saying that the binomial is a bell curve in incorrect. When you start plotting active cases (binomial occurrences) vs time you stop talking about statistical curves. These curves should be asymmetric. The curve starts at zero cases at zero time, rises to a peak and tapers off over time. The far side of the peak tapers off, sometimes to zero, but sometimes to a nonzero steady state.

Saying that the binomial is a bell curve in incorrect. When you start plotting active cases (binomial occurrences) vs time you stop talking about statistical curves. These curves should be asymmetric. The curve starts at zero cases at zero time, rises to a peak and tapers off over time. The far side of the peak tapers off, sometimes to zero, but sometimes to a nonzero steady state.
Got it. Thanks.

This guy updated his model today with new commentary for those interested. He did push the US peak date back one day to 3/29 due to the latest NY numbers.

https://dispensationalpublishing.com/covid-19-scientific-prediction-model-march-24/

He thinks the peak new US cases per day will be on the 29th? Thats nuts.

It takes 14 days from lockdown for that to happen, based on Italy experience, and New York locked down 2 days ago. Then we are going to have to wait for it to roll thru the other big cities

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler

It takes 14 days from lockdown for that to happen, based on Italy experience, and New York locked down 2 days ago. Then we are going to have to wait for it to roll thru the other big cities
Optimistic for sure. He stands behind how his models are tracking so far. I guess we will know in a couple of days. I find it interesting how closely the models are holding so far even with some smoothing done on his part.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69

I would caution comparing us to Italy. I don't think that's very realistic.

Given that he doesn't give his methodology there's no way to assess how good it is.

If nothing else, it's nice to see someone is positive and I look forward to seeing if he comes out close. It's something to pass the time.

This guy updated his model today with new commentary for those interested. He did push the US peak date back one day to 3/29 due to the latest NY numbers.

https://dispensationalpublishing.com/covid-19-scientific-prediction-model-march-24/

Why are his initial projections 1,700 deaths in NY but only 1,400 in the U.S., am I misreading?

Either way his projections of around 1,400 total deaths in the U.S. will likely be the smoking gun that prove his models are off--probably by this weekend even.

Why are his initial projections 1,700 deaths in NY but only 1,400 in the U.S., am I misreading?

Either way his projections of around 1,400 total deaths in the U.S. will likely be the smoking gun that prove his models are off--probably by this weekend even.
I’m pretty sure he said his total death number is getting adjusted tonight because of NYC. Which is also why he adjusted the peak day back one day. His model also shows around 13,500 new cases today. Which he expects to be slightly high.

Not by any means saying this guy is right. But I find it interesting to track from a statistical prediction accuracy standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT