ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Waters

Sep 2, 2001
I think Purdue has hired a great recruiter. I cannot remember when a 2nd year foot ball coach at Purdue has landed these quality recruits. I understand this is his 1st head coaching job at a Division 1 college. I understand he will make some mistakes but I am sure he will learn his job and be successful. Many of you "so called" Purdue fans are going to criticize him unmerciful at times during next season. But we ALL have to understand that 2024 Purdue Football has one of the toughest schedules in all of Division 1 football. Notre Dame does NOT even play a schedule as tough as Purdue. For Walters to go 6-6 next year will be a major triumph for Division 1 coaching.

GP PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are like 3 dudes here who aggrandize the previous coach and decided Walters was terrible immediately when the hire was announced. For the most part folks are willing to let him have a shot to get his guys and see what he can do.

Looking forward to next year with a more experienced QB, an actual division 1 OL, and year 2 of the defense install.

Purdue Mike, you might like to correct the title of the thread to Coach Walters. Nothing like misspelling his name.

I do like his hire and believe that he has done everything in his power to improve Purdue football from the day he was hired. The only real failure I have seen is his inexperience in being a head coach and perhaps making some poor in game decisions, but I understand that, and he seems to have adapted his decisions as the season progressed due to his players abilities.

2024 should be an interesting season with all the changes and hopefully we will be able to now move forwards despite the hard schedule. I'm hoping that the new commits pan out and we see them playing on the field instead of the usual vanishing into obscurity without ever seeing them play. Also hoping for an injury-free year. so that the team has a chance to excel.

Reactions: z_one
I think Purdue has hired a great recruiter. I cannot remember when a 2nd year foot ball coach at Purdue has landed these quality recruits. I understand this is his 1st head coaching job at a Division 1 college. I understand he will make some mistakes but I am sure he will learn his job and be successful. Many of you "so called" Purdue fans are going to criticize him unmerciful at times during next season. But we ALL have to understand that 2024 Purdue Football has one of the toughest schedules in all of Division 1 football. Notre Dame does NOT even play a schedule as tough as Purdue. For Walters to go 6-6 next year will be a major triumph for Division 1 coaching.

GP PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone is a fan, whether they laud a coach or criticize them. I think the level of criticism from a few is way over the top but they are still fans. Being a fan doesn't require coach worship.

Reactions: Bippus33

GP PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regarding 6-6 and going bowling. I think that is what the fan base wants. That is what C Walters wants. If that is what we want, write to the AD and tell him to schedule Indiana State, Ball State, and Illinois State for our non-conference games and roll the dice on the Big Ten schedule going forward.

another way of measuring success for C Walters in my view is how we do against like opponents. Teams with similar recruiting classes and NIL support. Teams like Minnesota, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. You can include Indiana and Illinois if you wish (as a rivalry it has been one sided for a while).

But teams like Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State and Norte Dame, they are coming in with a different level in recruiting classes and the money behind them. If Purdue beats one of them, kudos to C Walters, we over achieved. But most people would not expect us to beat a tier 1 Big Ten team.

A fair assessment of C Walters should be how we fair against the teams that are similar in recruitment and money.

Though I really want us to beat Norte Dame (this will be our first real test to see where our team stands).

point is, when we play Oregon, we are playing Oregon + the Nike corporation money.

Last edited:
Everyone is a fan, whether they laud a coach or criticize them. I think the level of criticism from a few is way over the top but they are still fans. Being a fan doesn't require coach worship.
yes we can criticize. Free country. But there is a difference between criticism and hate. I think the few is crossing the line, or a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Hoping for the best for year 2 and have a team to be excited about. Saw some flashes in year 1 that was exciting.

yes we can criticize. Free country. But there is a difference between criticism and hate. I think the few is crossing the line, or a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Hoping for the best for year 2 and have a team to be excited about. Saw some flashes in year 1 that was exciting.
So what? It's literally one or two people.

GP PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are like 3 dudes here who aggrandize the previous coach and decided Walters was terrible immediately when the hire was announced. For the most part folks are willing to let him have a shot to get his guys and see what he can do.

Looking forward to next year with a more experienced QB, an actual division 1 OL, and year 2 of the defense install.

Not disagreeing. 30 years ago, you could adapt to that plan, measure improvement, and let a coach grow. The money and the league quality make that harder today. Will Walters Purdue be allowed to be patient, why not, because changing head coaches is always a crap shoot?

The one example who comes to mind is Barry Alverez and Wisconsin. He went 1-10, 5-6, 5-6 before striking the mother load in the Rose Bowl. (he went 97-50 after that). He was a first time head coach, needed to develop his style in developing players, and identity on offense (he was a defensive coach prior), and then recruit his specifications. But he also had the advantage of not having to recruit against ND and another in-state rival like IU to keep the state's best at home, which helped him develop his OL pipeline.

The money and NIL may be making the patience less tolerable, requiring someone with more head coaching experience; but the transfer portal lets you cover recruiting losses, but it can't be losing good guys and gaining good guys on a 1 to 1 ratio. Can the coach maintain loyalty in players who are also patient?

Tiller got around that by:
* Recruiting diamonds in the rough and underrecruited athletes, with plans to change their position
* Utilizing grey-shirting to give underdeveloped diamonds and extra year of growth before starting college
* Establishing a decent Junior college path/farm system with 2-3 JUCO programs to either place recruits that needed more playing time, or find 3-4 key starters or critical depth guys.
* Higher a few coaches loyal to the program and had been here - like Sprack

But Tiller brought some head coaching experience, player personnel experience in the CFL, and an entire staff. Broham had some of the similar identity as Tiller, and was good to his assistants who were loyal.

Let's hope Coach Walters is able to develop his coaching station desirability.

Alverez Record first 4 years
1990Wisconsin1–100–810th
1991Wisconsin5–62–6T–8th
1992Wisconsin5–63–5T–6th
1993Wisconsin10–1–16–1–1T–1stW Rose56

Regarding 6-6 and going bowling. I think that is what the fan base wants. That is what C Walters wants. If that is what we want, write to the AD and tell him to schedule Indiana State, Ball State, and Illinois State for our non-conference games and roll the dice on the Big Ten schedule going forward.

another way of measuring success for C Walters in my view is how we do against like opponents. Teams with similar recruiting classes and NIL support. Teams like Minnesota, Michigan State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. You can include Indiana and Illinois if you wish (as a rivalry it has been one sided for a while).

But teams like Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State and Norte Dame, they are coming in with a different level in recruiting classes and the money behind them. If Purdue beats one of them, kudos to C Walters, we over achieved. But most people would not expect us to beat a tier 1 Big Ten team.

A fair assessment of C Walters should be how we fair against the teams that are similar in recruitment and money.

Though I really want us to beat Norte Dame (this will be our first real test to see where our team stands).

point is, when we play Oregon, we are playing Oregon + the Nike corporation money.
Big Ten only allows one FCS opponent every other year.

Agreed,
The three prior posters have already set the stage for the 2024 season and we are still in 2023.
In 2023, he didn't have his guys and CJB was a bum.
2024, his guys are young, has an even tougher schedule and we'll this is only his second year as a head coach...
The comparison to Barry Alvarez and his record is a joke as it was obviously pre NIL, stiffer transfer rules and NFL money wasn't mind blowing...

A better excuse for failure could be the age of NIL and Purdue's refusal to field a winning /contending football program over the years

Every time I hear CRW speak, I like what he has to say and his recruiting numbers look promising. Time will tell.
For 2024, my wish for CRW is to have at least three months of intense in-game coaching instruction with a football Mr. Miyagi of his choice.
We all bleed Black and Gold, Boiler Up!!!

GP PURDUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Walters seems to be an incredible recruiter so far. His youth, energy, and whatever he is saying to the recruits seem to make us very attractive. This class is really good.

As to next year, well he is likely going to get 3 more years because he is a young head coach. It’s really the right thing to do because Purdue knew hiring someone that young would come with growing pains. Fingers crossed we start seeing some of this talent we brought in flash next year..
Boiler up!

Walters seems to be an incredible recruiter so far. His youth, energy, and whatever he is saying to the recruits seem to make us very attractive. This class is really good.

As to next year, well he is likely going to get 3 more years because he is a young head coach. It’s really the right thing to do because Purdue knew hiring someone that young would come with growing pains. Fingers crossed we start seeing some of this talent we brought in flash next year..
Boiler up!
Need to get what DB’s and WR’s they can, in for spring practices , a few will probably be playing next season .

Reactions: tenwest and Beorik
I’ll admit I was not overly excited with hire. Unlike many, I actually liked his assistant coaching hires.

As for recruiting, I believe you need to give some credit to the assistants he hired. His assistants are doing the vast majority of the leg work as part of his recruiting efforts!

I’ll admit I was not overly excited with hire. Unlike many, I actually liked his assistant coaching hires.

As for recruiting, I believe you need to give some credit to the assistants he hired. His assistants are doing the vast majority of the leg work as part of his recruiting efforts!
This was one of the best posts you have made on this board, ever. Concise, to the point, and I agree with it. Good job, BamBam

Agreed,
The three prior posters have already set the stage for the 2024 season and we are still in 2023.
2024, his guys are young, has an even tougher schedule and we'll this is only his second year as a head coach...
The comparison to Barry Alvarez and his record is a joke as it was obviously pre NIL, stiffer transfer rules and NFL money wasn't mind blowing...

A better excuse for failure could be the age of NIL and Purdue's refusal to field a winning /contending football program over the years

Every time I hear CRW speak, I like what he has to say and his recruiting numbers look promising. Time will tell.
For 2024, my wish for CRW is to have at least three months of intense in-game coaching instruction with a football Mr. Miyagi of his choice.
I think you missed the point. He wasn't comparing Walters to Alvarez. He was pointing out what was possible in a different era where more time and patience existed.

Reactions: Bippus33 and z_one
Agreed,

No one said Brohm was a bum. They said he didn't recruit worth a damn on his last 3 classes (composite 58). That is a fact, not conjecture. Walters has a class rated better than Brohm's after a 10-2 season at UL. Walters has proven he can recruit. Now the question is can he coach? Brohm could coach. I agree it would be helpful to have an established coach mentor Walters about being a head coach. I had a mentor for my career and it helped me immensely. My mentor had experience where I had none. I can't see any downside to this and for all we know something of that nature may already be in place. Sure wouldn't hurt to suggest it.

No one said Brohm was a bum. They said he didn't recruit worth a damn on his last 3 classes (composite 58). That is a fact, not conjecture. Walters has a class rated better than Brohm's after a 10-2 season at UL. Walters has proven he can recruit. Now the question is can he coach? Brohm could coach. I agree it would be helpful to have an established coach mentor Walters about being a head coach. I had a mentor for my career and it helped me immensely. My mentor had experience where I had none. I can't see any downside to this and for all we know something of that nature may already be in place. Sure wouldn't hurt to suggest it.
Jerry Kill would be a good mentor

• Love
Reactions: z_one
I have given Walters his props when it comes to recruiting, good for him,we will need it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the thought that after season one, we hope he can coach. For a power 5 team I've always thought that that certain criteria should have been the benchmark for Purdue's hire.
Here is to confirming in year two that CRW can be successful as a P5 Coach.
All Boilermakers are pulling for that!

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18
The short of it is this, good recruits need to produce results on the field. Otherwise, you Indina yourself and are not better off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT