ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Painter talks about Furst's larger role next season, and comments on his professionalism when things weren't going his way.

This could be interesting. Furst at center and TKR remaining at the 4 and catchings sliding down to the 3.

Reactions: jtanoos1
This could be interesting. Furst at center and TKR remaining at the 4 and catchings sliding down to the 3.

Great teammate. Painter knows what a talented, high character & smart guy he is. Glad he is a Boiler.

A few positions are a given like Smith @ the 1. But keep in mind as to who plays where & who gets minutes is to some degree, up in the air as the new frosh haven't even practiced yet. The opportunity is there for Furst....as it is for all.

Would like to add good to see coach at apparently a Big Brothers Big Sisters event for the community.

Last edited:
Great teammate. Painter knows what a talented, high character & smart guy he is. Glad he is a Boiler.

A few positions are a given like Smith @ the 1. But keep in mind as to who plays where & who gets minutes is to some degree, up in the air as the new frosh haven't even practiced yet. The opportunity is there for Furst....as it is for all.

Would like to add good to see coach at apparently a Big Brothers Big Sisters event for the community.

https://www.journalgazette.net/spor...cle_a9c44718-0cd0-11ef-82e5-17efd1f48f6e.html

Some excerpts from the article:

Painter suggested that Homestead graduate Fletcher Loyer, who started all 39 games last season as a sophomore guard and averaged 10.3 points while shooting 44.4% from 3-point range, could have an expanded role next season in the offense, which is likely to run through point guard Braden Smith in Edey’s absence.

“He’ll have more responsibility next year, have more opportunities to score,” Painter said. “He’ll have more of that load and I know as a competitor and a guy that enjoys the fight, he’s going to work towards that and be ready for that.”

The 2021 Indiana Mr. Basketball played sparingly in the NCAA Tournament and his final minutes average was less than half that of his sophomore season, but he accepted his role and sacrificed for the team.

“Caleb, he’s the best,” Painter said. “He’s a great guy, he’s worked very hard. Everybody’s value on the team is the value with Zach Edey and sometimes that’s not fair. … He’s a good player, but he got into a numbers crunch and that’s really hard. With that, he kept a great attitude, positive attitude, really showed his true character.

“In those situations, when you’re competitive, you can be a distraction and he wasn’t. … Now he’ll have more of an opportunity with Zach Edey going to the NBA draft. Hopefully he takes that opportunity and keeps working and has a great senior year for us.”

Furst has always been our most athletic big guy. This coming years team will seemingly run a lot more, and I want to see Caleb get out in transition every time he doesn't get the rebound. He could easily get 2 or 3 extra buckets a game just by getting lob passes behind the defense.

Furst has always been our most athletic big guy. This coming years team will seemingly run a lot more, and I want to see Caleb get out in transition every time he doesn't get the rebound. He could easily get 2 or 3 extra buckets a game just by getting lob passes behind the defense.

As could any number of others.

If you watched Caitlyn Clark's pinpoint long passes when Iowa would get out & go.....it was a thing of beauty. Smith could be just as deadly accurate with his great passing if CMP will turn him loose. He also is such a great passer, and is great on the run. Hope the running game materializes as we have the team for it. If so allowed, Smith's assist number may get even go up!

If you plan to play him on th front line, yu need to put Weight'' on him!!!
Totally agree. He slimmed down to 220 this past season so he could be more mobile, with the possibility of filling in at the 4. That experiment didn't work so well in my opinion. Caleb might be more effective with a few more lbs, but I'm not certain what his optimum weight would be. Maybe 235? Get too heavy and you lose agility. Too light and you get pushed off the block. At any rate, there aren't too many centers in the league at 220 so something needs to change.

I just watched Purdue vs Liberty. I wanted to remind myself what Purdue basketball looked like before Edey became a household name.

TW, AW, BN, SS and IT were starting.

The freshman all played. Edey, Gillis, Ivey, Newman, Morton.

The announcers were spot on with the excessive amount of praise they gave Edey. I should have wrote down some of the quotes, but they saw his talent immediately, thought he was going to be special and repeatedly said so.

Gillis banked in his 1st 3 and looked out of position on defense a bit. Played hard in his first game in almost 1,000 days.

Ivey had multiple offensive fouls but looked good.

Newman had a great first half defensively and offensively got to the basket probably 3-4 times off of dribble drives but the 2nd half he didn’t look as good.

Morton did not look good, he threw a couple of terrible “pick 6” type passes across the court, he was coming back from mono.

What I was amazed about is how fast Purdue went up and down the court, no walking up the ball, barely crossing the half court stuff, it was ball and 5 people are across half court with 25 seconds left in the shot clock, there were still sets but it was much faster paced. It felt like Purdue had a lot of possessions than a typical game last season.

If Purdue has the offensive firepower like we all think they do, and they open the offense to be more running/quicker, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2024-25 games are more high scoring offensively and defensively.

Defensively there’s no one returning to Purdue that jumps out to me that is a game changer defensively (think BS, FL, TKR, CF).

Part of my point here is: even after only a few games, I think it will be obvious which freshman will be impactful for this upcoming season.

As could any number of others.

If you watched Caitlyn Clark's pinpoint long passes when Iowa would get out & go.....it was a thing of beauty. Smith could be just as deadly accurate with his great passing if CMP will turn him loose. He also is such a great passer, and is great on the run. Hope the running game materializes as we have the team for it. If so allowed, Smith's assist number may get even go up!

And hopefully Furst is on the receiving end of a lot of those assists from Smith.

And hopefully Furst is on the receiving end of a lot of those assists from Smith.
I know when Furst is talked about it's almost always w/ the mention that he's a pre Med major which is great to hear. I hope he really comes on in his last year for all his patience that he has shown. On non Purdue news, the other week former osu PG Aaron Craft became a Dr. and got a residency at osu's hospital ( Nose and Throat spec ).

There are just so many possibilities with next year’s team. It seems like Furst may take over Edey’s role and Loyer will not be replaced.

All the Colvin, Harris, Heide, And Catchings fans all think their favorite player will take over.

Others think Painter will completely change his offensive style and start running more.

My guess is someone is going to be happy and someone will be upset. Would it be a bad thing if nothing changed? And Painter ran the same offense he always runs?

The only thing that is certain in Purdue basketball is that posters will continue to speculate!

There are just so many possibilities with next year’s team. It seems like Furst may take over Edey’s role and Loyer will not be replaced.

All the Colvin, Harris, Heide, And Catchings fans all think their favorite player will take over.

Others think Painter will completely change his offensive style and start running more.

My guess is someone is going to be happy and someone will be upset. Would it be a bad thing if nothing changed? And Painter ran the same offense he always runs?

The only thing that is certain in Purdue basketball is that posters will continue to speculate!
Furst isn’t taking the edey role. He may play the 5 some (TKR will play it mostly), but the whole game plan on offense and defense will not revolve around furst like it did edey.

Cmon wole, lol. Things are going to change And the same offense wont be ran as it was with edey this year nor the same as it was the prior year with edey nor the same as the year prior to that with Tre and edey nor the same the year before that. Paint switches it every year. It may not look like it, but he made tweaks the last 3 years in each of those years.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Regardless of who is out there, this is Braden Smith's team.

Furst might start or be a 6-7th man type. Either way, Furst should get a lot of minutes as a senior. And I hope he cleans up being an easy target for DTs so he can continue on in whatever role is his.

As to O changes, CMP & staff will adapt to his personell, always has, and always will.

Regardless of who is out there, this is Braden Smith's team.

Furst might start or be a 6-7th man type. Either way, Furst should get a lot of minutes as a senior. And I hope he cleans up being an easy target for DTs so he can continue on in whatever role is his.

As to O changes, CMP & staff will adapt to his personell, always has, and always will.
I am hearing the same it is Braden's team! Much like Jayden Ivey's last year everything goes thru him.

My thoughts are that there are many here who believe our offense will drastically change. I’m not one of those people. Painter has always been about defense first.

The offense will be run by Smith, and he sure didn’t appear to be a run and gun type of guard last year. he also didn’t push the ball up the floor. Most times he just walked down the court and set the offense up. I believe that will continue next year.

I remember those old days of Louisville basketball when they were known as the lords of the dunk. They pressed, they ran and they dunked!

regardless of the athleticism of the incoming recruits, Painter continues to praise the existing players who are all rather slow. If Smith, Loyer and Furst all play an increased role, I cannot envision Painter changing his offense to be the fast paced offense many here want . It may be nice we have some run and gun and quick players coming in. But they will have to learn how to play defense first. And then they will have to fit into an offense that incorporates the veteran players.

Will Catchings become a star as a freshman? Will he stay as a sophomore? will Harris or Colvin start?

The question is: You say Painter will adjust his offense. You say he always does. The question that needs to be answered is who will Painter adjust his offense for? Who becomes the alpha dog? Smith will run the show, but I don’t see him scoring a lot more. I envision him continuing to set up others. If smith continues to set up others, who will that player be?

My thoughts are that there are many here who believe our offense will drastically change. I’m not one of those people. Painter has always been about defense first.

The offense will be run by Smith, and he sure didn’t appear to be a run and gun type of guard last year. he also didn’t push the ball up the floor. Most times he just walked down the court and set the offense up. I believe that will continue next year.

I remember those old days of Louisville basketball when they were known as the lords of the dunk. They pressed, they ran and they dunked!

regardless of the athleticism of the incoming recruits, Painter continues to praise the existing players who are all rather slow. If Smith, Loyer and Furst all play an increased role, I cannot envision Painter changing his offense to be the fast paced offense many here want . It may be nice we have some run and gun and quick players coming in. But they will have to learn how to play defense first. And then they will have to fit into an offense that incorporates the veteran players.

Will Catchings become a star as a freshman? Will he stay as a sophomore? will Harris or Colvin start?

The question is: You say Painter will adjust his offense. You say he always does. The question that needs to be answered is who will Painter adjust his offense for? Who becomes the alpha dog? Smith will run the show, but I don’t see him scoring a lot more. I envision him continuing to set up others. If smith continues to set up others, who will that player be?
Purdue hasn’t been about defense since Maybe Mathias and his class’s senior year…so like 6-7 years ago?

Also, Painter hasn’t ran the same offense…like ever. It’s different every year…always evolving. And smith certainly ran the floor…did you not see us average in the mid 80s last year? Smith also slowed it down a lot to let Zach get back and get set. Braden can play to his strengths this year.

And yes catching will be a star. Hope he stays a second year, but if not, that means he has a pretty damn good Frosh year.

Doesn’t matter who starts with Harris and Colvin.. It matters who closes/ends the game/gets more mins as the game goes on.

And I thought our high scoring was based on our high fg % and making a lot of FTs.

Would people here be disappointed if neither Colvin or Harris started? And Catchings played the 3 with Loyer and smith tkr and Furst?

Purdue hasn’t been about defense since Maybe Mathias and his class’s senior year…so like 6-7 years ago?

Also, Painter hasn’t ran the same offense…like ever. It’s different every year…always evolving. And smith certainly ran the floor…did you not see us average in the mid 80s last year? Smith also slowed it down a lot to let Zach get back and get set. Braden can play to his strengths this year.

And yes catching will be a star. Hope he stays a second year, but if not, that means he has a pretty damn good Frosh year.

Doesn’t matter who starts with Harris and Colvin.. It matters who closes/ends the game/gets more mins as the game goes on.

Although there's no guaranteed predictor, one suggestion is KenPom Adjusted tempo. Purdue played at its fasted pace in years last year......and that was WITH Zach Edey dominating the line-up and offensive strategy....which Matt Painter regularly conceded with having the POY.

Up until the main conference season started - I believe they were even higher tempo last year.

Purdue's KenPom Adj Tempo:

2024 - 218th (overall 3rd, 4th off, 12th defense)
2023 - 324th (overall 7th, 12th off, 24th defense)
2022 - 237th (overall 14th, 2nd off, 93rd defense)
2021 - 278th (overall 25th, 26th off, 34th defense)

2019 - 268th (overall 9th, 4th off, 34th defense)
2018 - 223rd (overall 5th, 2nd off, 31st defense)

Purdue will still have a post/paint presence with the offense (expected with TKR and Caleb Furst), but I can't imagine there will be the emphasis like with Zach Edey....on top of that, Purdue will have more ability to slash and drive from the wing I would guess. We shall see, but I'm pretty confident I would take the bet Purdue plays more up-tempo overall. Might see more transition long-range shots as well.

I would also hasten to wager we'll hear more MOVE......MOVE from CMP.....haha.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Although there's no guaranteed predictor, one suggestion is KenPom Adjusted tempo. Purdue played at its fasted pace in years last year......and that was WITH Zach Edey dominating the line-up and offensive strategy....which Matt Painter regularly conceded with having the POY.

Up until the main conference season started - I believe they were even higher tempo last year.

Purdue's KenPom Adj Tempo:

2024 - 218th (overall 3rd, 4th off, 12th defense)
2023 - 324th (overall 7th, 12th off, 24th defense)
2022 - 237th (overall 14th, 2nd off, 93rd defense)
2021 - 278th (overall 25th, 26th off, 34th defense)

2019 - 268th (overall 9th, 4th off, 34th defense)
2018 - 223rd (overall 5th, 2nd off, 31st defense)

Purdue will still have a post/paint presence with the offense (expected with TKR and Caleb Furst), but I can't imagine there will be the emphasis like with Zach Edey....on top of that, Purdue will have more ability to slash and drive from the wing I would guess. We shall see, but I'm pretty confident I would take the bet Purdue plays more up-tempo overall. Might see more transition long-range shots as well.

I would also hasten to wager we'll hear more MOVE......MOVE from CMP.....haha.

I would have to agree. I believe Purdue will take more perimeter shots next year .

Going to have to outscore folks, ala Pacers this year.
Defense isnt' going to win this team games.

Not sure much is known about this coming team? Folks are assuming it will be good because of Braden and CMP orchestrating, and those 2 are guys you could bet on, but how good, and is the D better than O or vise versa....... we'll see??

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Not speculation, did you even listen to paints comments before you got on the soapbox? The offense will be different and will run through smith and not Edey and loyer will have a different role.

I would have to agree. I believe Purdue will take more perimeter shots next year .
we shot 3rd most 3s in big ten and jones shot 2nd most in B1G. Paint says Loyer who was 2nd on team for 3s will have more opportunities to score. Even Gillis was like 17th in the big ten in 3s made. I don’t know what we will look like but it will be different and I don’t see how you replace a huge kick out advantage, Jones, and Gillis and take more. Reading between the lines with painters comments I think we will be spread out more and more drives especially with Harris, Heide, and Colvin likely picking up a lot of minutes.

The only thing common I have seen in Painter's offense over the years is that he plays to the strength of the players and the team. Rarely has his center been the leading scorer. The offense played by the Elite 8 team a few short years ago was very different than this year's Final Four team.

The only thing common I have seen in Painter's offense over the years is that he plays to the strength of the players and the team. Rarely has his center been the leading scorer. The offense played by the Elite 8 team a few short years ago was very different than this year's Final Four team.
stand disagree GIF

I would have though Furst would be a similar player to say Scott Martin, and it seemed like he was as a freshman. He has gotten seemingly worse every season however, so I don't really expect him to start, or play a lot of minutes Unless both our 7 footers aren't that good. they are both unkowns, but Berg looks at least decent. Furst might be ready to be a doctor, and move on from basketball. I really have no idea how much his heart is still in basketball, it honestly doesn't seem like it based in results. Also wole, keep dreaming about Catchings playing the 3, we are pretty loaded in the back court.

I am pretty convinced that Wol has never actually watched more than a handful of Purdue basketball games in his entire life.

I would have though Furst would be a similar player to say Scott Martin, and it seemed like he was as a freshman. He has gotten seemingly worse every season however, so I don't really expect him to start, or play a lot of minutes Unless both our 7 footers aren't that good. they are both unkowns, but Berg looks at least decent. Furst might be ready to be a doctor, and move on from basketball. I really have no idea how much his heart is still in basketball, it honestly doesn't seem like it based in results. Also wole, keep dreaming about Catchings playing the 3, we are pretty loaded in the back court.
Pretty hard to get mins when you’re behind the 2x POTY and he plays almost the whole game….if he plays for us I think he will give us solid mins. I’d assume his heart is still in it as it’s not that fun/easy to go through practices and offseason trainings and be able to compete at the P5 D1 level.

I would have thought Furst would be a similar player to say Scott Martin, and it seemed like he was as a freshman. He has gotten seemingly worse every season however, so I don't really expect him to start, or play a lot of minutes Unless both our 7 footers aren't that good. they are both unkowns, but Berg looks at least decent. Furst might be ready to be a doctor, and move on from basketball. I really have no idea how much his heart is still in basketball, it honestly doesn't seem like it based in results. Also wole, keep dreaming about Catchings playing the 3, we are pretty loaded in the back court.
My Furst comp is Kip Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT