ADVERTISEMENT

Win total 4.5

Juiced to the under (meaning under is a slight favorite vs over).
Sounds right. We schedule like morons and the conference got way tougher while pay for play hit new levels. You don’t think my that the 2007 boilers that won 7 games would be a huge favorite to get to 5 with this schedule do you?

They beat 4 non p5 teams, 1-11 Minnesota, 3-9 Notre dame, 6-6 Iowa and 6-6 northwestern.

4 wins would be probably us beating who we are supposed to.

5 would be us winning a toss up game.

6 would be one slight upset.

I think 5 wins is progress, 6 is a good season 4 is stagnation and 3 would be bad news.

I see 4 as the floor and 6 as the ceiling! Several years ago the majority of posters here wanted Purdue to play a tough non conference schedule rather than scheduling gimme wins like Minnesota and Indiana do. Well you people got your wish.

Looking at the Big 10 schedule, if you want to see Purdue get 6 wins and into a bowl game, they need to schedule three non conference pansies. If they continue to schedule tougher teams, you will be watching your bowl game in September! I hope you are happy.

I see 4 as the floor and 6 as the ceiling! Several years ago the majority of posters here wanted Purdue to play a tough non conference schedule rather than scheduling gimme wins like Minnesota and Indiana do. Well you people got your wish.

Looking at the Big 10 schedule, if you want to see Purdue get 6 wins and into a bowl game, they need to schedule three non conference pansies. If they continue to schedule tougher teams, you will be watching your bowl game in September! I hope you are happy.
In 2007 we played 5 games that wouldn’t be our second hardest game this year. FIVE! People are morons

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
In 2007 we played 5 games that wouldn’t be our second hardest game this year. FIVE! People are morons
You repeat this over and over again.

The fallacy is that we can’t attract and don’t have good players. That’s simply not true. The team is far more loaded with 4 star talent than it ever was when Brohm or Hope or Hazell were here. Only that mid Tiller era boost was probably better.

Now, it’s time to do something with them on the field.

And yes, players will get bought away. It happens to ALL teams. Scourton will have a rude awakening in the SEC when he has to do more than rush the passer to get on the field.

The fallacy is that we can’t attract and don’t have good players. That’s simply not true. The team is far more loaded with 4 star talent than it ever was when Brohm or Hope or Hazell were here. Only that mid Tiller era boost was probably better.

And yes, players will get bought away. It happens to ALL teams. Scourton will have a rude awakening in the SEC when he has to do more than rush the passer to get on the field.
Wait, so are you saying that back in 2007 didn’t play 5 games that would be our second easiest game this coming year. That matters. It allows a mediocre team like the 07 team to be “an 8 win team.” And the sport is covered very simplistically. No one digs deep. This team with that schedule probably wins 8 games. This schedule? 4-5?

I admire the technique. “Everyone has players bought” implying the opposite of what you won’t answer in the question I posed to you.

How many teams on our schedule have worse donor bases than Purdue? Of those that are better or similar, how many are going to show up with a poorly coached football team?

Wait, so are you saying that back in 2007 didn’t play 5 games that would be our second easiest game this coming year. That matters. It allows a mediocre team like the 07 team to be “an 8 win team.” And the sport is covered very simplistically. No one digs deep. This team with that schedule probably wins 8 games. This schedule? 4-5?

I admire the technique. “Everyone has players bought” implying the opposite of what you won’t answer in the question I posed to you.

How many teams on our schedule have worse donor bases than Purdue? Of those that are better or similar, how many are going to show up with a poorly coached football team?
Why does a season from 17 years ago have any bearing on today? Tough schedules aren’t going anywhere mostly due to playing 9 conference games…so why whine and cry about the schedule? You want to project down to the competition and not up. It’s a losers mentality.

My point is simple…we have talent. We can’t be the ones who show up with the poorly coached and schemed team.

It’s all about the players you get. You can spend $2mil or $4mil or $100mil on the same roster. That money spent doesnt change the outcome.

I support the strategy of paying guys who are either good G5 or guys who didn’t get the chance at Elite P4 schools some nominal amount of money and offering PT to get them here. We will see if the strategy works overall…but we have had a significant talent upgrade since Walters showed up. Time to do something with it.

Why does a season from 17 years ago have any bearing on today? Tough schedules aren’t going anywhere mostly due to playing 9 conference games…so why whine and cry about the schedule? You want to project down to the competition and not up. It’s a losers mentality.

My point is simple…we have talent. We can’t be the ones who show up with the poorly coached and schemed team.

It’s all about the players you get. You can spend $2mil or $4mil or $100mil on the same roster. That money spent doesnt change the outcome.

I support the strategy of paying guys who are either good G5 or guys who didn’t get the chance at Elite P4 schools some nominal amount of money and offering PT to get them here. We will see if the strategy works overall…but we have had a significant talent upgrade since Walters showed up. Time to do something with it.
i feel like the keys to the season will be the receivers and the defensive backfield. Card should have better protection to throw, whether receivers can get open and hang on to the ball remains to be seen. And with quite a few new DB's, will have to see how they play together and also get the defense off the field with good coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG and Bippus33

Amen!

Reactions: Akerphin

We didn't have good players last year. That you won't concede this is perplexing. We certainly have more, better players this year but even at our best in the B10 we were middle of the pack in talent max. It's absolutely stubbornness to not concede we still probably aren't middle of the pack B10 wise with even more teams and talent yet.

Now 1-2 more years of the recruiting we've seen this far would definitely get us there.

And much of that 4 star talent you cite JUST got here. It's not going to instantly mean a massive leap in performance. This isn't basketball where the addition of a few great players can completely flip a team.

The defense is clearly going to be better. The offense probably will too. Then again we are once again playing one of the toughest schedules in the nation. So that improvement isn't necessarily going to show itself on the won loss column.

It's obvious that the excuse for a poor 2024 season is already being baked into argument that the tough schedule will dilute Purdue's ability to attract better players and Walter's coaching improvements from year one to year two....
Boiler Up!!

i feel like the keys to the season will be the receivers and the defensive backfield. Card should have better protection to throw, whether receivers can get open and hang on to the ball remains to be seen. And will quite a few new DB's, will have to see how they play together and also get the defense off the field with good coverage.
Indeed. Those were our two biggest issues last season. We had little separation from receivers and our DBs couldn't cover well. The former made it easier to get pressure on Card, and the latter made it harder to run the defense Walters wants to run which very much relies on lockdown corners play.

IF we can throw out three top half corners AND two receivers who can get some separation then we have a chance for six wins. If not, it's probably more like a 4-5 win season.

It's obvious that the excuse for a poor 2024 season is already being baked into argument that the tough schedule will dilute Purdue's ability to attract better players and Walter's coaching improvements from year one to year two....
Boiler Up!!
So we aren't playing a tough schedule?
Which games do we have more talent than our opponents next season?

Gr
So we aren't playing a tough schedule?
Which games do we have more talent than our opponents next season?
Great coach and great talent should equal more wins... ISU, OR st., Iowa, IN, NE, IL,NW and Mich st.
Seven teams that Purdue has won against in recent years.
Boiler Up!!

Last edited:
Posters here keep talking about how our team has improved over last year! Well duh, Every other school we play this year also improved over last year!

And saying we beat Nebraska last year so we should beat them this year is not cutting it. Our basketball team keeps losing to northwestern so should we expect them to always lose to northwestern? Or should Northwestern fans say we beat Purdue last year in basketball with Edey so it should be an easy win this year?

Purdue has beat Michigan, USC, ND and OSU. In the past, so should we just assume we’ll be able to beat them all this year?

That’s not the way it works! Take some time to compare current teams to current teams. This is not Joe tiller’s team or even his era.

Ask yourself can this year’s Purdue team beat this year’s Nebraska team. Don’t make predictions for this year based on the past. Do some research on this year’s team.

In the past, Rondale Moore started as a freshman. That was also his most successful year. Players don’t need experience to be successful. They just need talent and to be good. The two receivers that transferred in from Georgia are supposed to be talented and good. They shouldn’t need time to develop. They already had 1 college year to develop. If they are not good this year, they never will be.

Gr

Great coach and great talent should equal more wins... ISU, OR st., Iowa, IN, NE, IL,NW.
Seven teams that Purdue has won against in recent years.
Boiler Up!!
We don't have "great" talent. Find me a single non Purdue site or person who says we have great talent.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU and z_one
Boiler Up!!
Your postings are attempting to make Walters look worse than he is by telling us all the talent we have. But of course last year you were saying how much talent Brohm had left Walters so there was no excuse. No surprise you attempt to set up the season for a bitchfest. LOL

I'd say we may have "better" talent than last year, not great. But I will reserve judgement until they actually get on the field. CRW seems to be quite the hound dog on the recruiting trail, so hopefully that translates onto the field, but we know the recruiting wins won't really be seen for a couple of years, at least with high school recruiting. Portal recruiting is another story, and it seems like he's doing well with both sides of the coin.

We don't have "great" talent. Find me a single non Purdue site or person who says we have great talent.
Hasn't recruiting and portal acquisitions improved drastically with 4 and 5 Star talent arriving due to CRW's.
Go CRW and staff!!

Hasn't recruiting and portal acquisitions improved drastically with 4 and 5 Star talent arriving due to CRW's.
Go CRW and staff!!

Your postings are attempting to make Walters look worse than he is by telling us all the talent we have. But of course last year you were saying how much talent Brohm had left Walters so there was no excuse. No surprise you attempt to set up the season for a bitchfest. LOL
So, is CRW's a good coach or a great coach?
Do we have enough good or great players to win 6 games?
I never said that Brohm left CRW's a ton of talent,but there was enough talent to win 6 games last year imo....
Time will tell....

So, is CRW's a good coach or a great coach?
Do we have enough good or great players to win 6 games?
I never said that Brohm left CRW's a ton of talent,but there was enough talent to win 6 games last year imo....
Time will tell....
Not that my opinion matters, but I am 50/50 on CRW so far. I jumped off the bandwagon some last year but came back around a tad thanks to some hopium. About the only one I really wanted to see move on was the OC as in my non-coaching view there was nothing that showed it will be better this season. Time will tell and I will be glad to be wrong.

The schedule is not going to help things if we tank it, but winning always cures that... my fear is he doesn't pan out and we are looking for another coach in a couple years (or less).

I think we all would prefer to avoid that as some coaching stability would go a long way for the program.

Reactions: Bippus33

18, just forget that we played for BIG Championship in 2022 as well. Purdue can't recruit great players and the Purdue Football job is such a poor job that no one wanted it except for inexperienced candidates.......
Poor poor Purdue.......

Reactions: pboiler18
Go CRW and staff!!
It's certainly improved from what was left over, that doesn't equate to "great."

18, just forget that we played for BIG Championship in 2022 as well. Purdue can't recruit great players and the Purdue Football job is such a poor job that no one wanted it except for inexperienced candidates.......
Poor poor Purdue.......
We took advantage of a division that almost always has weaker top teams and that year was no exception.

Regardless, almost none of those players are playing now, certainly not the ones most responsible for that season, and Brohms last two years of recruiting was indicative of a guy who wasn't planning on and ultimately didn't stick around much longer.

Plenty of neutral analysts out there. So please point me to one saying we have great talent and predicting we have a lot of wins this upcoming season.

I mean if it's such a fact, surely someone else sees it

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Poor poor Purdue.......
It’s not like we had an awesome team that year. It’s just every other team in the west had a bad year. If we had been in the east, we would have finished 4th or 5th in the east. We had no business being in that championship game, and when the game took place, it was obvious how bad we were.

Set your sights on the CBs and WRs, and that will tell you how good we will be, However, how good they are, depends on the OL and DL. Our DL played pretty well last year, and IMO the CBs were not as good as I had hoped. However, if our DL plays well this year, I think our CBs will be much improved.

Brohm did not leave us with much, but I am glad he took his WR coach with him. Pnly Jones attacked the pass, while all the others were way too passive. Our WRs played better last year, but our OL needed a lot more depth. This year, I am expecting big things from them. If true, the over of 4.5 is very realistic, even with a tough schedule.

This. The only returning great player we have is Thieneman which is legacy. Last year we had great talent in Scourton and Burns and they are gone. We have no returning all conference 1-3 team selections except Thieneman. Mockobee and Jenkins were honorable mention and I would put them in the category of good.

Reactions: Bippus33
It’s not like we had an awesome team that year. It’s just every other team in the west had a bad year. If we had been in the east, we would have finished 4th or 5th in the east. We had no business being in that championship game, and when the game took place, it was obvious how bad we were.
Huh? We were down by 1 at halftime? We lost to a Michigan team by 21 who the week before beat #4 OSU by 22 on the road. Stupid take. Who else deserved to be in the championship game?

Huh? We were down by 1 at halftime? We lost to a Michigan team by 21 who the week before beat #4 OSU by 22 on the road. Stupid take. Who else deserved to be in the championship game?
None of the teams from the west deserved to be in that championship game. And we all know it. So don’t play the proud boiler and say we were in the big 10 championship game so we must be. A great team! Michigan ripped us apart in the second half. And we showed the world how bad we were in our bowl game!

Obviously we did because the system set up said so. Now, were we the second best team in the conference? Nope. Did we have the second best talent? Nope.

We took advantage of a division that almost always has weaker top teams and that year was no exception.

Regardless, almost none of those players are playing now, certainly not the ones most responsible for that season, and Brohms last two years of recruiting was indicative of a guy who wasn't planning on and ultimately didn't stick around much longer.

Plenty of neutral analysts out there. So please point me to one saying we have great talent and predicting we have a lot of wins this upcoming season.

I mean if it's such a fact, surely someone else sees it

These neutral analysts predicted that West Virginia would place last in the Big 12 in 2023 and that Neal Brown would be fired. These analysts are often wrong when they try to project a team this early, before the team gets a chance to develop over the summers. The analysts have their bias with the brand names and expect the worst from the non brand teams.

Every year a team like Mizzou will surprise people. And a team like TCU will disappoint.

I like this team that CRW have assembled. We do not have Ohio State or Oregon talent, but we have the guys that CRW needs to run the defense he wanted to run and the offense Harrell wanted to run in 2023.

The neutral analysts see Card as just a guy. The last two data points we have of Card is the Minnesota and IU game. If Card plays at or beyond the level of those games, we can upset some of these so called brand name teams.

With that said, will we still place 18th in the B1G or go below 4.5 wins? Your guess is as good as mine.

We have to wait to see how our guys develop this summer and how our opponents develop over the summer. Last time this year, no one expected Dillion to be Dillion. Not many knew about Burks. We thought Nic will be good, but did not know he would be that good. Those players benefited from one summer with CRW.

Last edited:
None of the teams from the west deserved to be in that championship game. And we all know it. So don’t play the proud boiler and say we were in the big 10 championship game so we must be. A great team! Michigan ripped us apart in the second half. And we showed the world how bad we were in our bowl game!
It’s the best from the west vs the best from the east. We deserved to get in because we were the best from the west. We were a good team but not a great team. We had some absolute studs on offense with AOC, Charlie jones, and Payne Durham. Mockobee was solid. Guess what those guys opted out of citrus bowl among several other key contributors. The coach rewarded players that had no business playing in that game knowing they were leaving. Any legit purdue fan knows that bowl game didn’t represent that team.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
These neutral analysts predicted that West Virginia would place last in the Big 12 in 2023 and that Neal Brown would be fired. These analysts are often wrong when they try to project a team this early, before the team gets a chance to develop over the summers. The analysts have their bias with the brand names and expect the worst from the non brand teams.

Every year a team like Mizzou will surprise people. And a team like TCU will disappoint.

I like this team that CRW have assembled. We do not have Ohio State or Oregon talent, but we have the guys that CRW needs to run the defense he wanted to run and the offense Harrell wanted to run in 2023.

The neutral analysts see Card as just a guy. The last two data points we have of Card is the Minnesota and IU game. If Card plays at or beyond the level of those games, we can upset some of these so called brand name teams.

With that said, will we still place 18th in the B1G or go below 4.5 wins? Your guess is as good as mine.

We have to wait to see how our guys develop this summer and how our opponents develop over the summer. Last time this year, no one expected Dillion to be Dillion. Not many knew about Burks. We thought Nic will be good, but did not know he would be that good. Those players benefited from one summer with CRW.
This isn't about outcome analysis, the point I'm making is about talent analysis and yes generally they don't miss that by so much that a team filled with great talent is missed.

Yes the team has more, no it isn't remotely realistic to say it has enough to expect a 7+ win season

The talent level is improved but obviously nowhere near the top of the conference. We're always going to have the same guys here talking about how it's good enough to be playing on NYD but the coach sucks.

We don't talk enough about Card. I flipflopped all over the place on him last year. Thought he was good, thought he stunk, then good again. He won us a couple games late, that's for sure, and we'd have beaten Northwestern had he played. He will have a better o line and more legitimate WRs on the outside, along with good TEs. Looking at the QBs around the conference, I think he has the ability to be a top 3 QB in the B1G. If he takes a step and does that, we will go over 4.5. I'm leaning that way.

Obviously we did because the system set up said so. Now, were we the second best team in the conference? Nope. Did we have the second best talent? Nope.
We lucked into that game because of other upsets in the west that year. Iowa was probably the most deserving team in the west that year. Overall, we were probably the 6th to 8th best team in the BIG 10 that year. But some proud fans still like to pound their chests and say we were in the BIG 10 championship game. It was a meaningless game and we really had no business playing for the championship!

The score was close in the first half because Michigan didn’t really take the game or Purdue seriously. The real Michigan showed up in the second half. To say we were close at the half is like saying we were tied when the game started. Or like saying if we scored the first points on our first possession that we were actually winning. That’s why the game has 4 quarters. Even Hazell’s teams had early leads before they ultimately lost.
It’s the best from the west vs the best from the east. We deserved to get in because we were the best from the west. We were a good team but not a great team. We had some absolute studs on offense with AOC, Charlie jones, and Payne Durham. Mockobee was solid. Guess what those guys opted out of citrus bowl among several other key contributors. The coach rewarded players that had no business playing in that game knowing they were leaving. Any legit purdue fan knows that bowl game didn’t represent that team.

we got into the championship solely because we had the best BIG 10 record in the western conference. we were not the best overall team in the west, and we didn't have the best overall record in the west either. Both UW and Iowa were better teams in the west that year. Our bowl game result that year proved how bad we actually were.

but hey, pound your chest, and buy yourself a meaningless t-shirt that says so. we had the best BIG 10 record in the west, and by the rules of the game were selected to play in the championship game.

we got into the championship solely because we had the best BIG 10 record in the western conference. we were not the best overall team in the west, and we didn't have the best overall record in the west either. Both UW and Iowa were better teams in the west that year. Our bowl game result that year proved how bad we actually were.

but hey, pound your chest, and buy yourself a meaningless t-shirt that says so. we had the best BIG 10 record in the west, and by the rules of the game were selected to play in the championship game.
I mean you play the games you play. Literally the way you determine who is the best team in a division is by winning said division is it not?

The most talented team doesn't win every year in any sport. I don't think we should hang our head and not be duly proud of that team.

My only point was about talent level currently versus the rest of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT