ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Painter and Coach (Cuonzo) Martin

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
The site posted a Twitter photo of them together with Coach Weber and Coach Keady at a Nike event yesterday: https://twitter.com/CoachPainter/status/605473288140259329/photo/1

Do you think there will be any resentment between Matt and Cuonzo since they were both recruiting Swanigan pretty hard or because of Keady choosing Painter over Martin as his successor? I know they're all smiles but you know how much that can actually mean sometimes.

I'm just curious if anyone here is "in the know" about their friendship at this time.

Painter and Martin are friends if that is your question. Burke picked Painter. That was his era of only selecting head coaches to replace retiring guys. Thus Martin wasn't an option. Same reason we got Danny Hope over Brock Spack.

Love that picture!

The Swanigan situation was all business, and I'd bet the recruiting battle between those two was very respectful compared to some of the things other coaches say to recruits. I bet like all Purdue alumni, these four are all rooting for each other (at least when these guys aren't going head-to-head on the court or for a recruit).

Love that picture!

The Swanigan situation was all business, and I'd bet the recruiting battle between those two was very respectful compared to some of the things other coaches say to recruits. I bet like all Purdue alumni, these four are all rooting for each other (at least when these guys aren't going head-to-head on the court or for a recruit).

I agree and Family is Family...they have a common bond and Purdue is what has helped them be who they are.

I think everyone learns that in life sooner or later that business is business and personal is personal.

Those that don't learn it, get hurt fast and look backwards instead of moving forward.

Heard Zo and California are in the market for the big center out of Georgia (Noah Dickerson 6ft 9 in 260lbs) to finish it's 2015 class.

If they land him, look out...loaded class.......and CS coming to Purdue would be an afterthought.

Boiler Up!

Painter and Martin are friends if that is your question. Burke picked Painter. That was his era of only selecting head coaches to replace retiring guys. Thus Martin wasn't an option. Same reason we got Danny Hope over Brock Spack.

Ummm, I don't think I'd flat out say "Burke picked Painter"...

I'm not saying Morgan doesn't seek input, but he's made it clear in public comments several times that the choice is his and is ratified by the BOT.

Well yeah, of course that's true.

But let's be honest, it was Keady that made it happen. Burke agreed and went along with it.

But let's be honest, it was Keady that made it happen. Burke agreed and went along with it.
Are you sure? I thought Keady was a huge supporter of both Painter and Martin, but that Burke made the ultimate decision based on experience. Maybe that was just my imagination.

Are you sure? I thought Keady was a huge supporter of both Painter and Martin, but that Burke made the ultimate decision based on experience. Maybe that was just my imagination.

At that point, the only place that Zo had coached was at Purdue, and it was as an assistant. Would you have picked Zo at the time over Painter with what their track records were at the time?

IIRC, CMP was also coming off of a rookie season leading S. Illinois to the NCAA's and being named MVC Coach of the Year. He took over a pretty good squad from Weber, but still....that's setting yourself up nicely if you don't otherwise have a lot of experience......on the other hand, there's always room for doubt or uncertainty, and I know there was some back then.

At that point, the only place that Zo had coached was at Purdue, and it was as an assistant. Would you have picked Zo at the time over Painter with what their track records were at the time?
I can't remember the timing but was Coach Martin's health problem known at that time?

I can't remember the timing but was Coach Martin's health problem known at that time?

Gem,

I couldn't remember myself, and your post prompted me to look some of this up.....here's an excerpt from an article in The Chicago Tribune on February 28, 1998....pretty telling. I feel lucky that I got to see him play in person and to be a fellow alum with him.

Gene Keady, who was Martin's coach at Purdue, likes his chances."Cuonzo has more heart than any player I've ever coached, and that's a whole bunch of players," Keady said. "When I first talked to him after I found out, Cuonzo said, `Coach, this is only a temporary setback.

Keady found out about Martin's illness from a newspaper article when Purdue was playing in Indianapolis. Several of Martin's friends and basketball associates have similar stories; no one, it seems, heard the news from Martin directly.

"That's just the type of person he is," Keady said. "Cuonzo doesn't want to burden you with his problems." Martin says he didn't want to call attention to himself. "I wasn't trying to hide it, but it was like the people who knew, my family, it was no problem they knew about it. But it wasn't like I wanted to call the media and tell them to print this problem I have because I want people to feel sorry for me."

Gem,

I couldn't remember myself, and your post prompted me to look some of this up.....here's an excerpt from an article in The Chicago Tribune on February 28, 1998....pretty telling. I feel lucky that I got to see him play in person and to be a fellow alum with him.

Gene Keady, who was Martin's coach at Purdue, likes his chances."Cuonzo has more heart than any player I've ever coached, and that's a whole bunch of players," Keady said. "When I first talked to him after I found out, Cuonzo said, `Coach, this is only a temporary setback.

Keady found out about Martin's illness from a newspaper article when Purdue was playing in Indianapolis. Several of Martin's friends and basketball associates have similar stories; no one, it seems, heard the news from Martin directly.

"That's just the type of person he is," Keady said. "Cuonzo doesn't want to burden you with his problems." Martin says he didn't want to call attention to himself. "I wasn't trying to hide it, but it was like the people who knew, my family, it was no problem they knew about it. But it wasn't like I wanted to call the media and tell them to print this problem I have because I want people to feel sorry for me."

That's a good read. Thanks

Martin wasn't in the picture.

Keady basically selected his replacement. Of course Burke had the final say, but I give Burke about 1% credit for that hire.

Martin wasn't in the picture.

Keady basically selected his replacement. Of course Burke had the final say, but I give Burke about 1% credit for that hire.
Didn't Matt just come off of a couple of good seasons before he was made assistant head coach?

I agree with Ibodel on this one. Two years ago I was at a Keady speech. I asked what he thought of the job MP was doing, after a bit of comments he finished by saying he better be good because I picked him to be here.

If you say so. Like I said, I heard Morgan Burke say in more than one interview that it's his job to pick coaches and one of those was in a direct question about Keady's successor.

Ummm, I don't think I'd flat out say "Burke picked Painter"...

I don't get all the Burke-bashing.

He had a LEGENDARY coach, one who will be a historical GREAT. And he had significant input on his successor. And Burke is supposed to p*ss on that counsel? Really? And you clowns think that's a GOOD thing?

The Keady coaching tree has been well documented, but Burke is just supposed to say, "sit down, old man... I've got all the answers".

Good grief, people. This is absurd.

Reactions: woggy718

Simply False:

1). Keady always wanted Weber to replace him.
2). When that didn't happen...Keady lobbied for Lavin. Burke vetoed that.
3). At the time Painter was hired... Keady had just played the "I am going to San Francisco bluff". The bluff fell on deaf ears. Keady had no leverage and wasn't one bit happy that his contract wasn't renewed. Keady was fighting to keep his job....not fighting to have Painter replace him
4). Keady had multiple assistant coaching jobs open during the period Painter was an assistant....yet he never offered Painter a job. He and Painter butted heads when Painter was a player...,and they were never particularly close. Although they do have a good relationship now.

Burke has been responsible for all the hires in football and men's bball.

He gets the credit for the Tiller and Painter hires....and the blame for Hope hire. tbd on Hazell... albeit early results have been poor.

Simply False:

1). Keady always wanted Weber to replace him.
2). When that didn't happen...Keady lobbied for Lavin. Burke vetoed that.
3). At the time Painter was hired... Keady had just played the "I am going to San Francisco bluff". The bluff fell on deaf ears. Keady had no leverage and wasn't one bit happy that his contract wasn't renewed. Keady was fighting to keep his job....not fighting to have Painter replace him
4). Keady had multiple assistant coaching jobs open during the period Painter was an assistant....yet he never offered Painter a job. He and Painter butted heads when Painter was a player...,and they were never particularly close. Although they do have a good relationship now.

Burke has been responsible for all the hires in football and men's bball.

He gets the credit for the Tiller and Painter hires....and the blame for Hope hire. tbd on Hazell... albeit early results have been poor.
Lavin refused the coach in waiting.

Lavin refused the coach in waiting.
Lavin was all in....on the coach in waiting. He was begging for the job. Doug Griffiths who was at GBI at the time....was covering this story. He can confirm, if you don't believe me.

I don't get all the Burke-bashing.

He had a LEGENDARY coach, one who will be a historical GREAT. And he had significant input on his successor. And Burke is supposed to p*ss on that counsel? Really? And you clowns think that's a GOOD thing?

The Keady coaching tree has been well documented, but Burke is just supposed to say, "sit down, old man... I've got all the answers".

Good grief, people. This is absurd.

I never said that and it wasn't even meant to be a bash on Burke. It was in response to a comment made about Burke making that move, when in all reality, it wasn't really Burke's idea so I'm not going to say he's an amazing AD cause of it.

Burke has made some good hires and has made some bad hires.

I never said that and it wasn't even meant to be a bash on Burke. It was in response to a comment made about Burke making that move, when in all reality, it wasn't really Burke's idea so I'm not going to say he's an amazing AD cause of it.

Burke has made some good hires and has made some bad hires.
Tiller wanted Spack....Burke hired Hope.
Keady wanted Weber, then Keady wanted Lavin....Burke hired Painter.

Notice a pattern here? Burke doesn't delegate hiring decisions in football and bball.

Weber played a bigger role than Keady....in the hiring of Painter.

But Burke was the decision maker in hires of Tiller, Painter, Hope, and Hazell.

Lavin was all in....on the coach in waiting. He was begging for the job. Doug Griffiths who was at GBI at the time....was covering this story. He can confirm, if you don't believe me.
You got his phone number? Purdue assistants weren't making that much money in those days and Lavin didn't want to take a pay cut is the way I heard it. Plus he already had years of head coaching experience and knew the Purdue situation under Keady very well. Burke was intent on trying to repeat the experience of Izzo replacing Heathcoat where he had a year to recruit the Flintstones and others. Almost worked with Painter too except for Robbie getting hurt and Martin transferring.

If you say so. Like I said, I heard Morgan Burke say in more than one interview that it's his job to pick coaches and one of those was in a direct question about Keady's successor.

You're looking at things black and white. Of course, at the end of the day, it was Burke's decision. Keady can't take something to the President behind Burke's back. I'm simply saying that coaching search had little to do with Burke's ideas, but it was Keady that pushed for it. Obviously Burke agreed and it happened.

At the end of the day, it's really not that big of a deal, but I don't think I'd say "Burke gets all the credit for this" or anything like that.

Tiller wanted Spack....Burke hired Hope.
Keady wanted Weber, then Keady wanted Lavin....Burke hired Painter.

Notice a pattern here? Burke doesn't delegate hiring decisions in football and bball.

Weber played a bigger role than Keady....in the hiring of Painter.

But Burke was the decision maker in hires of Tiller, Painter, Hope, and Hazell.

Keady and Tiller are nowhere near each other on the spectrum of "throwing weight around". And to compare the 2 hirings is crazy. And quite frankly, Burke thinking he could duplicate it in football was one of the worst coaching decisions he's made.

And of course Weber played a role, but it's not Burke that's helping that, it's flipping Keady facilitating that.

Keady and Tiller are nowhere near each other on the spectrum of "throwing weight around". And to compare the 2 hirings is crazy. And quite frankly, Burke thinking he could duplicate it in football was one of the worst coaching decisions he's made.

And of course Weber played a role, but it's not Burke that's helping that, it's flipping Keady.
Keady openly complained that Mackey wasn't being upgraded and Burke didn't care. Keady wanted another contract and Burke didn't care. I think you have Keady as some kind of God who had more power than he did. Like I said, I personally heard Morgan say the decision was his. He has also said that he always keeps a list of potential coaches in his pocket (probably not literally) in case something happens. Morgan is a very accomplished individual despite what you read here and he doesn't need help from any Coach to do his job.

Why does everyone keep bringing up Weber? Yea, he and Keady go way back. But wasn't Bruce still in the honeymoon phase at Illinois after going almost undefeated and national runner up? I don't see how he was even in the Purdue conversation at the point we hired Painter.

Why does everyone keep bringing up Weber? Yea, he and Keady go way back. But wasn't Bruce still in the honeymoon phase at Illinois after going almost undefeated and national runner up? I don't see how he was even in the Purdue conversation at the point we hired Painter.
He wasn't in the picture. But many AD's seek the counsel of other coaches and AD's and God knows who else in making hires.

You got his phone number? Purdue assistants weren't making that much money in those days and Lavin didn't want to take a pay cut is the way I heard it. Plus he already had years of head coaching experience and knew the Purdue situation under Keady very well. Burke was intent on trying to repeat the experience of Izzo replacing Heathcoat where he had a year to recruit the Flintstones and others. Almost worked with Painter too except for Robbie getting hurt and Martin transferring.
Doug is still covering sports in Indiana. A quick google can give you contact information. Alternatively you can send Alan an email.

Doug is still covering sports in Indiana. A quick google can give you contact information. Alternatively you can send Alan an email.
Ease up man, it's not that big a deal. And no offense, but GBI guys have been wrong before. I heard what Morgan said with my own ears when the question was asked of him, I don't need Griffiths to interpret his statement that hiring coaches is his job. When asked about Lavin he said they couldn't work out the details which was intrepreted as he didn't want to be a coach in waiting and/or he wanted a hell of a lot more money than Morgan was going to pay.

Ease up man, it's not that big a deal. And no offense, but GBI guys have been wrong before. I heard what Morgan said with my own ears when the question was asked of him, I don't need Griffiths to interpret his statement that hiring coaches is his job. When asked about Lavin he said they couldn't work out the details which was intrepreted as he didn't want to be a coach in waiting and/or he wanted a hell of a lot more money than Morgan was going to pay.

Again, nobody is saying that Burke sat out the hire. Burke agreed, went along with it, etc. It was not his CONCEPT. Which is not what Burke saying. Burke is saying he is the ultimate decision maker, which he was then and he still is now. He didn't HAVE to go along with it, but he did in this case.

Also editing to add-on, CREDIT to Burke for doing this. He coulda just went on his own and did his own thing. He didn't and set-up a logical transition.

However, football is a completely different sport and the situation was so much different that the idea to try and do it again was horrible.

And of course Weber played a role, but it's not Burke that's helping that, it's flipping Keady facilitating that.

Tiller was coming off an 8 win season when the transition was put in place....and still had several years on his contract.

Keady was struggling and going into the last year of his contract. He tried the San Francisco bluff in a desperate attempt to get an extension. He had no leverage at that point in time. He was furious that his contract was expiring.

Yet according to you he demanded that Painter replace him.....even though Keady never had an interest in hiring Matt Painter as an asst?

Again, nobody is saying that Burke sat out the hire. Burke agreed, went along with it, etc. It was not his CONCEPT. Which is not what Burke saying. Burke is saying he is the ultimate decision maker, which he was then and he still is now. He didn't HAVE to go along with it, but he did in this case.

Also editing to add-on, CREDIT to Burke for doing this. He coulda just went on his own and did his own thing. He didn't and set-up a logical transition.

However, football is a completely different sport and the situation was so much different that the idea to try and do it again was horrible.
It worked with Izzo because he was a long term assistant at the same school. People knew 3 or more years in advance what was going to happen and Izzo had the advantage of working in the same areas he was working as an assistant. Burke fell in love with the idea and it really isn't that good. It's like loading up your team with one and dones which has worked once in the history of forcing frosh to play college ball. And yes, it sucked in football. But Morgan is pretty clear as to who hires coaches and always has been.

It worked with Izzo because he was a long term assistant at the same school. People knew 3 or more years in advance what was going to happen and Izzo had the advantage of working in the same areas he was working as an assistant. Burke fell in love with the idea and it really isn't that good. It's like loading up your team with one and dones which has worked once in the history of forcing frosh to play college ball. And yes, it sucked in football. But Morgan is pretty clear as to who hires coaches and always has been.

Again, I'm not saying anyone other than Morgan did the actual hiring. That doesn't mean Keady was shoved to the side and told to shut up which you're making it sound like.

The basketball situation worked because of a couple reasons. 1) Painter was a well-known guy at Purdue as a former player and a coach under the Keady/Weber tree. Most Purdue fans knew who he was and were excited about the hire. 2) With these connections, he was more likely to take a "coach in waiting" job for a year than someone at a similar job without those connections - not only for "prestige" reasons - taking a step backwards - but also monetary reasons. Painter wasn't coaching at some po-dunk school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT