ADVERTISEMENT

Clappy losing support...

Originally posted by Heller:
Ron Felling recruited Illinois for Bobby. And Ohio State was very good for a long time. They had a few down years but they were a power in the sixties which has carried through since. I like Matta but he didn't invent basketball at O$U.
Fred Taylor coached Havlicek, Lucas, and a sixth man named Knight. Eldon Miller had some serious talent in the late 70's early 80's......Herb Williams, Kellogg, Kelvin Ransey, Carter Scott, and Jim Smith was a loaded team that lost to Brown's UCLA squad. Miller just couldn't get his teams far enough in the tournament.

Michigan State also had some success before Izzo.

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

Originally posted by Heller:
Crean isn't leaving without his check. Any thinking that he will voluntarily leave is just nuts. No one is going to hire him at a level like he's paid now. No one.
Heller, I was told today by a friend at IU who works there that Crean is negotiating a release from his contract to take another position. This person is right 95% of the time time.
What circus needs a clown?
laugh.r191677.gif

Augie,

Congratulations!!!! Your response made me laugh harder than i have all night. Well played.

Originally posted by mike41703:

Originally posted by arcb102000:
mathboy, I agree with your analysis. However, it is based upon fact and uses logic.

The problem in the application of your explanation to the iU fanbase is that they do not believe in facts and logic. I do not know how many times I have read posts about the 'elite" status as a BB program and their "rightful" place at the top of the B1G and the national polls. There is not rightful place in sports. Position is earned, not given. As for elite status, that went away before the late stage of the RMK tenure.

WHat you have with the IU fanbase is a set of unrealistic expectations that is confronting a contradictory reality. I think of IU basketball fans to be like Gloria Swanson's character in "Sunset Boulevard." A once famous actress what lives in the past because her present is not what she wants to accept as true.
I don't disagree with all you wrote, just some. Crean is not a great coach, at all. But if you look at the facts, IU still has had some of the top talent in the big ten over the last 10 yrs or so. A great coach would be able to do quite well with that situation. Shouldn't it be expected to get top results with top players and top 10 money for a coach? That's the fans' beef as I understand it. I don't think the expectations are unrealistic. I believe they are achievable with the right guy.

Twin, if that certain someone comes to IU, are you going to remain a Purdue fan? Serious question... You know who I'm referring to.
Mike, it's a moot point. If you're talking about Alford, he's in a much better situation at UCLA, has some nice recruits coming in and more that will commit and it's been told by him that the way he was screwed by Brand, he'll never come home. If you're talking about Brad Stevens he's not leaving his dream job for what would be a nightmare at IU. Boston has cleared the roster and will let BS build it going forward with players of his choosing....so again, it's a moot point and something I don't have to be concerned with. My guess, if Crean and IU agrees to what I'm being told Crean wants...out...IU will go out and hire some no name mid-level coach that they don't have to pay a fortune to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT