ADVERTISEMENT

Clappy losing support...

That is infruiating. They are still likely in the tourney and the students don't show??? I hated watching our students not show late in the season the last 2 years but we had a much worse record.

Yeah sadly our worst fear is about to come true.

The clapper is gone.

Too bad too as he was just starting to intimidate us.

If you really want IU to keep their coach, you really should say positive things about their coach instead of neg things.

How embarrassing for IU, regardless of who is coaching and what the score might be. It's their team.

How stupid.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mathboy:
How embarrassing for IU, regardless of who is coaching and what the score might be. It's their team.

How stupid.

cool.r191677.gif
Math, I'd guess you watched the game. In all of my years spent as an IU fan, I can't remember the fans booing the team as loudly as they did tonight.

I think Crean is gone...maybe on his own.

I listened to his post game. Guy was blaming the team and especially Yogi for driving instead of jacking up 3's.

He is over signed by two next year already and might as well keep recruiting. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 7 schollies to give this summer.

Originally posted by proudopete:
I listened to his post game. Guy was blaming the team and especially Yogi for driving instead of jacking up 3's.

He is over signed by two next year already and might as well keep recruiting. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 7 schollies to give this summer.
I honestly don't think he's back next year. I'm hearing that there's a lot of dissension on the team, and as I said he may be leaving on his own. I didn't listen to the post-game, but the pig sty is going after him for tossing the kids under the bus....again. And I agree that if he's there, he may have at least seven ships next year.

I agree he is done. I am feeling rather sad at the moment.

I should bounce back tomorrow when we throttle the Sparts

I'll be really bummed if they fire crean
frown.r191677.gif
I still lol when I think about the fact that he is 0-8 against us w/out big slim.

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

I honestly don't think he's back next year. I'm hearing that there's a lot of dissension on the team, and as I said he may be leaving on his own. I didn't listen to the post-game, but the pig sty is going after him for tossing the kids under the bus....again. And I agree that if he's there, he may have at least seven ships next year.

Why do you think he will leave on his own when he has such a large buyout?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Joe Civil:

Rumors, innuendo's, and half-truths. Think about it....if he leaves on his own for another job, he doesn't have to go through the humiliation of being fired. His ego couldn't handle that, thus he's going out on his terms. With a narcissist like Two Tone, his is a very fragile ego and it will never be his fault that IU under performed during his tenure, witnessed by his constantly throwing the kids under the bus after a loss. As for the money....how much has Crean already made at IU, and how much can you really spend in Bloomington? He should be set for life financially.

I caught the end of the game with my buddy that is an iu grad. I asked what is up with tom hanging his tongue out like a freak. His answer was I don't know man we suck lol

Can you imagine a fired Crean at the Harbaugh Thanksgiving table? You think he is fidgety now? Dude would combust before the Blessing.

Originally posted by mathboy:

How stupid.

cool.r191677.gif
Math, I'd guess you watched the game. In all of my years spent as an IU fan, I can't remember the fans booing the team as loudly as they did tonight.

I think Crean is gone...maybe on his own.
Before the season started, if you had asked most IU fans, they would have pencilled in a loss for this game. So things went as expected. IU is a terrible match up for teams with strong front lines like Purdue, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They knew that going into this year, after Fisher quit. No surprise... they lost this game. I don't get it. Why the anger and shock? Why are the students acting like THEIR team somehow betrayed them?

What a bunch of whiney, over indulged punks! Yes, Crean is not a very good coach. So what? Is that some sort of revelation? These kids signed on to play their best for IU. Why the heck would any IU student Boo them?

Iowa is a much better team than IU this year. No upset happened. IU was reasonablly competative, but they weren't going to win this game unless something weird happened. Neither coach K nor coach Izzo could have taken these IU players and beaten this Iowa team last night. Live with it and move on.

cool.r191677.gif

Rumors, innuendo's, and half-truths. Think about it....if he leaves on his own for another job, he doesn't have to go through the humiliation of being fired. His ego couldn't handle that, thus he's going out on his terms. With a narcissist like Two Tone, his is a very fragile ego and it will never be his fault that IU under performed during his tenure, witnessed by his constantly throwing the kids under the bus after a loss. As for the money....how much has Crean already made at IU, and how much can you really spend in Bloomington? He should be set for life financially.
He did about the same thing when he left Marquette for IU. There was a lot of hot rumors that he was on his way out up there as people were getting tired of his act.

mathboy, I agree with your analysis. However, it is based upon fact and uses logic.

The problem in the application of your explanation to the iU fanbase is that they do not believe in facts and logic. I do not know how many times I have read posts about the 'elite" status as a BB program and their "rightful" place at the top of the B1G and the national polls. There is not rightful place in sports. Position is earned, not given. As for elite status, that went away before the late stage of the RMK tenure.

WHat you have with the IU fanbase is a set of unrealistic expectations that is confronting a contradictory reality. I think of IU basketball fans to be like Gloria Swanson's character in "Sunset Boulevard." A once famous actress what lives in the past because her present is not what she wants to accept as true.

Originally posted by arcb102000:
mathboy, I agree with your analysis. However, it is based upon fact and uses logic.

The problem in the application of your explanation to the iU fanbase is that they do not believe in facts and logic. I do not know how many times I have read posts about the 'elite" status as a BB program and their "rightful" place at the top of the B1G and the national polls. There is not rightful place in sports. Position is earned, not given. As for elite status, that went away before the late stage of the RMK tenure.

WHat you have with the IU fanbase is a set of unrealistic expectations that is confronting a contradictory reality. I think of IU basketball fans to be like Gloria Swanson's character in "Sunset Boulevard." A once famous actress what lives in the past because her present is not what she wants to accept as true.
Arc, the problem you mention is very true. What they really fail to realize is they had a legend in Knight who spoiled the fan base with his wins, discipline, and players who graduate. Very seldom did you hear about drugs and drinking and driving when Bob was there...same with Gene here. Legends only come around once in awhile. There is also new found parity in the game with the limits on scholarships which makes the Wichita State's and Butler's even more of a threat. Even if IU were to fire Crean and bring in Brad Stevens, there's no guarantee that he's going to take the program back to the Bob Knight glory years....after all, he never won that title at Butler. IU has honestly become just another program with a great history....if you look in the rear view mirror to see it.

Just think Texas, we could cast Crean as the new Max Bialystok (ala Zero Mostel) if Mel Brooks decides to remake "The Producers" in a non-musical version.

Originally posted by Indy_Rider:

He did about the same thing when he left Marquette for IU. There was a lot of hot rumors that he was on his way out up there as people were getting tired of his act.
In reading his contract (p. 13), it appears he would owe the university $8 million if he resigned before 7/1/15 or only $1 million afterwards. You can see his contract at tomcreanbuyout.com. I don't see how anyone walks away from $7.5 million.

In reading his contract (p. 13), it appears he would owe the university $8 million if he resigned before 7/1/15 or only $1 million afterwards. You can see his contract at tomcreanbuyout.com. I don't see how anyone walks away from $7.5 million.

Do you really think IU wouldn't wave that eight million if he wanted to walk away? As I said, I do believe he knows it's over at IU, and I believe that his agent may very well have negotiated another job for him where the pressue to win is less.

We'll know soon enough, but I do believe he's gone either way.

Do you really think IU wouldn't wave that eight million if he wanted to walk away? As I said, I do believe he knows it's over at IU, and I believe that his agent may very well have negotiated another job for him where the pressue to win is less.

We'll know soon enough, but I do believe he's gone either way.
I don't know much about the particulars, and I rarely comment on Tom Crean posts, but I agree with Joe....can't see the logic in "walking away" when there is such a large severance benefit/buy-out if you get terminated, assuming it's not for "cause."

That's the whole point in getting that up-front in his contract, including the extension. He negotiated a great deal with Indiana, and I would assume he would stay until he was told otherwise or until his current deal is up. I wouldn't think he's going to get anything like that right now with any other school.

Well, let's also be honest. If in the coaching world there was an emphasis on "dignity", why would fired coaches be showing up in TV studios weeks after being fired?

A coach is not going to voluntarily walk away (and if they do, it's likely there's more to the story).

Crean isn't leaving without his check. Any thinking that he will voluntarily leave is just nuts. No one is going to hire him at a level like he's paid now. No one.

The IU plan as I understand it is to let Clappy go and suspend basketball operations until such time as Brad Stevens is inclined to take the job. Administrators are willing to take as many years as Stevens requires before moving on.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
The IU plan as I understand it is to let Clappy go and suspend basketball operations until such time as Brad Stevens is inclined to take the job. Administrators are willing to take as many years as Stevens requires before moving on.
Yeah, because their football program is so financially successful.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
Yeah, because their football program is so financially successful.

Originally posted by arcb102000:

I don't disagree with all you wrote, just some. Crean is not a great coach, at all. But if you look at the facts, IU still has had some of the top talent in the big ten over the last 10 yrs or so. A great coach would be able to do quite well with that situation. Shouldn't it be expected to get top results with top players and top 10 money for a coach? That's the fans' beef as I understand it. I don't think the expectations are unrealistic. I believe they are achievable with the right guy.

Twin, if that certain someone comes to IU, are you going to remain a Purdue fan? Serious question... You know who I'm referring to.

Clappy will be around 1 more year because his buyout is so large. IU cannot really afford to write him an 8M check and then go out and hire a top notch coach. Same reason why Purdue would not have bought out Matt Painter at the end of this season if we would have continued to tank. Unless you are a Texas or Ohio $tate, you just don't have that kind of funding available to change coaches unless its a major crisis, which IU basketball is not yet, despite the claims from their fanbase.

Originally posted by Cevol03:
Clappy will be around 1 more year because his buyout is so large. IU cannot really afford to write him an 8M check and then go out and hire a top notch coach. Same reason why Purdue would not have bought out Matt Painter at the end of this season if we would have continued to tank. Unless you are a Texas or Ohio $tate, you just don't have that kind of funding available to change coaches unless its a major crisis, which IU basketball is not yet, despite the claims from their fanbase.
There's still a chance he's around 1 more yr but it won't be due to the buyout. I'm not an insider by any means, but too many ppl that seem to be don't believe it to be an issue.

mike, I read your comment and considered it.

I have often said that as a graduate student the best class that I ever had was "he Evolution of Proteins." You can actually construct phylogenetic trees using the changes in the sequences of amino acids in certain common proteins to verify bone data and periods of divergence among specifies. However, the key lesson that I learned was that successful organisms have evolution that is in concert with the evolution of their evironment while extinct organisms had evolution that was in dissonance with the evolution of their environment. For example, T Rex was kickass in Jurassic Park but the world got cold and and as a cold-blooded organism he was done in by small early mammals.

Now, consdier the case of IU basketball. While RMK was in his prime, their really was no other dominant team in the B1G. The only really potential challenger was Purude and maybe Illinois. O$U and Michigan were rarely good in those days. Wisoconsin was bad and Minny only occasionally good. RMK was able to dominate the Midwest recruiting.

Other programs upgraded. Wisconsin became good in FB and BB. OSU upgraded BB under Williams and then O'Brien. (Even though O'Brien cheated, I have a soft spot for him as I went to HS with his younger twin brothers) Matta came in and has done well exploiting his Indiana connections - almost a reverse of RMK. Self succeeded Lou who had a good program gonig on at Illinois. I am convinced that RMK hated Lou because he threatened the Illinois recruiting that helped Knight a great deal. As such, IU declined under Knight as competition changed and RMK did not - the evolution argument above. Davis was a non-solution (though not a bad attempt imo.) Sampson was the reach to save the sinking ship what totally back-fired. Crean got lucky. He got Wade at Marquette and had a good run. Marquette also has had a good BB history that he was able to exploit. That charm started to fade when Sampson blew up and after others left, TC was the last man standing. See "I, Claudius" as an example of how that happens. Zeller fell into his hands at the right time after a bad Year 3 at IU and likely saved him then. However, as you point out, he is not that great and his tournament results with Z and O ended short. What you now have is the result of his failure to recruit bigs, his turnover of scholies and lack of defensive emphasis. Also, consider that UK has changed the game fundamentally as it is really D-league at the NCAA level.

Besides being bordering States, I thought the animosity started with the Holcomb transfer.

Btw, that's another intra-conference transfer mentioned from another thread.

Originally posted by Heller:
Crean isn't leaving without his check. Any thinking that he will voluntarily leave is just nuts. No one is going to hire him at a level like he's paid now. No one.
Heller, I was told today by a friend at IU who works there that Crean is negotiating a release from his contract to take another position. This person is right 95% of the time time.

Ron Felling recruited Illinois for Bobby. And Ohio State was very good for a long time. They had a few down years but they were a power in the sixties which has carried through since. I like Matta but he didn't invent basketball at O$U.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT