ADVERTISEMENT

But, but, but…

I think oddly the D is more talented than the offense but we’ve managed to make a shit show out of all of it!
We don’t have any talent on offense. These guys are just no good. There are no weapons and a bad QB that isn’t able to make anything happen. They miss Klare and missed Yaseen today, he’s steady at least. Burks is supposed to be good lol. People think Miller is good for some reason. We got a sweet TD grab from a community college player today though lol

We don’t have any talent on offense. These guys are just no good. There are no weapons and a bad QB that isn’t able to make anything happen. They miss Klare and missed Yaseen today, he’s steady at least. Burks is supposed to be good lol. People think Miller is good for some reason. We got a sweet TD grab from a community college player today though lol
The offense has no speed outside of Burks who is not a sure handed receiver and little separation ability among the receivers. The line is the worst we've had in a decade. The QB is neither accurate or a good decision maker. Nor is he nearly as athletic as people keep making him out to be. Our best running back as far as not hurting us is a fifth year wide receiver and our more talented running back is two fumbles away from 10 with four more games to go.

So I agree the offense is offensive but they aren't helped by horrible play calling. We are two thirds through the season and they still call those 2 yard out routes that haven't worked all season. Precious few inside slants or working the middle of the field. That whole read option mesh nonsense rarely gains anything positive, although again that's partially because of Card's poor decision making.

Defensive line I'd say is above average and they played well today but there is still a speed problem on defense. Defense definitely isn't responsible for the loss today though. You get four turnovers you've done your job as a defense.

Walters is on a cheap contract so easily replaced, so he better reconsider everything this off season if he wants to have a chance. That means he better have a lot of transfers on the line at the offensive skill positions, Card better not be the heir apparent at QB and I'd probably look to ditch the offensive coordinator because this air raid schtick is horrible even with the lack of talent.

If we roll out substantially the same team and scheme next season, he'll be unemployed by the end of it.

I refuse yo believe that.

I don’t know how good Miller is post injury but he looked really talented in a limited role for the previous coaching staff. We returned 3 OL and start 4 seniors there. Burks and Yaseen have looked good at times this year. Mock and Tracy have also looked good.

Imo the offensive struggles fall on coaching and a qb who takes so many sacks and makes poor decisions all while never delivering to the wrs on time. That’s on the coaching staff though. Card has played poorly enough to get pulled several times this year. How do you leave him in? 32 attempts for 100 yards!!!!!!!

Looks like it’s everything.
It is everything, coaching and lack of talent.

Compared to last year most of the offense wouldn't be starting and I'm fairly certain if Mockobee fumbled 8 times in as many games that Brohm wouldn't have him starting either.

I refuse yo believe that.

I don’t know how good Miller is post injury but he looked really talented in a limited role for the previous coaching staff. We returned 3 OL and start 4 seniors there. Burks and Yaseen have looked good at times this year. Mock and Tracy have also looked good.

Imo the offensive struggles fall on coaching and a qb who takes so many sacks and makes poor decisions all while never delivering to the wrs on time. That’s on the coaching staff though. Card has played poorly enough to get pulled several times this year. How do you leave him in? 32 attempts for 100 yards!!!!!!!
8 fumbles isn't looking good, it just isn't. Tons of coaches wouldn't let him see the field after that many turnovers, only reason we do is we have very little behind him.

Burks and Yaseen have a couple of plays a game but mostly disappear for most of it. Tracy has looked good, he should be used more but the problem is the oline is poor at blocking. Quite frankly I'm beginning to wonder if we don't miss him at receiver more than what he brings at RB but then Mockobee fumbled again and I think no I guess we need him there because Downing certainly isn't the answer.

Card I'm assuming is left in because we have nothing behind him, same as Mockobee. Certainly Card is the largest problem on offense but he's not the only one.

8 fumbles isn't looking good, it just isn't. Tons of coaches wouldn't let him see the field after that many turnovers, only reason we do is we have very little behind him.

Burks and Yaseen have a couple of plays a game but mostly disappear for most of it. Tracy has looked good, he should be used more but the problem is the oline is poor at blocking. Quite frankly I'm beginning to wonder if we don't miss him at receiver more than what he brings at RB but then Mockobee fumbled again and I think no I guess we need him there because Downing certainly isn't the answer.

Card I'm assuming is left in because we have nothing behind him, same as Mockobee. Certainly Card is the largest problem on offense but he's not the only one.
But, but, but…

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12

Until I see Card deliver the ball regularly on time and accurately to Burks, Yaseen, Miller and frankly all the other wrs I am not calling them talentless. My guess is if Brohm or another good passing coach was here, one of them would be nearly leading the Big in receiving yards. Mock broke our freshman rushing record last year. Yes he is fumbling but to say he isn’t a talented rb is stupid.

We have middle of the Big Ten talent and shit coaching and qb play right now.

Until I see Card deliver the ball regularly on time to Burks, Yaseen, Miller and frankly all the other wrs I am not calling them talentless. My guess is if Brohm or another good passing coach was here, one of them would be nearly leading the Big in receiving yards. Mock broke our freshman rushing record last year. Yes he is fumbling but to say he isn’t a talented rb is stupid.

We have middle of the Big Ten talent and shit coaching and qb play right now.
Talentless is hyperbole. Even bottom of the Big Ten quality is still talent. But no it's not middle of the Big Ten quality talent.

I didn't say Mockobee has zero talent. I did laugh at the person who claimed he was the best back in 20 years.

Coaching and scheme certainly do matter a lot at the college level, but so does talent at key positions... having receivers who can separate and a line that can somewhat block and a hyper accurate QB who makes great decisions elevates the entire rest of the team.

When you don't have those players AND you have poor scheming then the lack of top level talent becomes more apparent. So maybe just maybe guys like Mock benefitted last season both from superior play calling AND superior players around them.

Now both are missing.

Meanwhile Brohm is once again outperforming….
Lol he lost last week to a bad team.

We started this season knowing that Louisville had a cake schedule and it would have been disappointing if they didn't win 8-9 games minimum. We started this season knowing this team had a tough schedule with a talent dropoff from the prior and getting to six wins would be a challenge.

Both of those things have remained true.

Regardless, Brohm left. He wasn't run off. He wasn't mistreated. Purdue opened the bank for him and he said no. So why we are still talking about him is beyond me.

Walters is one guy, you can’t lay all this at his feet. But I do think he hired a Mickey Mouse coaching staff. This is not a Power 2 coaching staff. Half those guys have zero Power 5 assistant experience.

Collectively they are recruiting really well because they’re young and energetic, but he needs a hell of a lot more experience on his staff for game planning and execution. I think Walters is a great coach, but his staff is holding him back.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Talentless is hyperbole. Even bottom of the Big Ten quality is still talent. But no it's not middle of the Big Ten quality talent.

I didn't say Mockobee has zero talent. I did laugh at the person who claimed he was the best back in 20 years.

Coaching and scheme certainly do matter a lot at the college level, but so does talent at key positions... having receivers who can separate and a line that can somewhat block and a hyper accurate QB who makes great decisions elevates the entire rest of the team.

When you don't have those players AND you have poor scheming then the lack of top level talent becomes more apparent. So maybe just maybe guys like Mock benefitted last season both from superior play calling AND superior players around them.

Now both are missing.
And if Brohm wasour coach this year, we would have a quarterback who is putting up good numbers and wide, receivers and tight ends, who were also putting up good numbers. I highly doubt our quarterback would be Hudson card, but I do believe our skill positions would be close to what they are now and they would be performing well.. the difference is 100% coaching right now. I have said time and time again that I would not fire the coach and he deserves to get a few years but he is a terrible coach compared to Brohm today..

And if Brohm wasour coach this year, we would have a quarterback who is putting up good numbers and wide, receivers and tight ends, who were also putting up good numbers. I highly doubt our quarterback would be Hudson card, but I do believe our skill positions would be close to what they are now and they would be performing well.. the difference is 100% coaching right now. I have said time and time again that I would not fire the coach and he deserves to get a few years but he is a terrible coach compared to Brohm today..
But Brohm isn't our coach, he left us.
I would guess our QB would be the same guy he has there now. Maybe he gets better transfers that fit his system too. Better oline, a receiver transfer, lot of ifs and maybes there.

I would also guess we'd still have lost to OSU and Wisconsin and probably one more. This would probably be a 6 or 7 win team ceiling.

The difference is not 100 percent anything.

Reactions: z_one and Bippus33

Now both are missing.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen somebody so willing to blame 18-23 year old leaderless kids than you.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen somebody so willing to blame 18-23 year old leaderless kids than you.
Lol they are men first of all, and I blame everyone because it's the fault of everyone. But if you need the moralistic I'm a better fan than you schtick you do you bud.

Reactions: z_one
But Brohm isn't our coach, he left us.
I would guess our QB would be the same guy he has there now. Maybe he gets better transfers that fit his system too. Better oline, a receiver transfer, lot of ifs and maybes there.

I would also guess we'd still have lost to OSU and Wisconsin and probably one more. This would probably be a 6 or 7 win team ceiling.

The difference is not 100 percent anything.
That’s my point. Brohm wins 6-7 games with the talent he left on this team. He left unfortunately and our new coach isn’t losing because he was left without enough talent to win 6-7 games.

Walters is hopefully learning and I am rooting for him. But what we are seeing on the field as a final product is 100% on him as the head coach.

Brohm didn’t recruit good QBs.

Walters is one guy, you can’t lay all this at his feet. But I do think he hired a Mickey Mouse coaching staff. This is not a Power 2 coaching staff. Half those guys have zero Power 5 assistant experience.

Collectively they are recruiting really well because they’re young and energetic, but he needs a hell of a lot more experience on his staff for game planning and execution. I think Walters is a great coach, but his staff is holding him back.
Uh he's the one who hired this staff so it is all at his feet. Part of his job, especially as a coach specializing in defense, is to hire a competent offensive staff, something he clearly failed to do.

That’s my point. Brohm wins 6-7 games with the talent he left on this team. He left unfortunately and our new coach isn’t losing because he was left without enough talent to win 6-7 games.

Walters is hopefully learning and I am rooting for him. But what we are seeing on the field as a final product is 100% on him as the head coach.
And he won 8 with the talent last year, there's less of it.

Brohm didn’t recruit good QBs.
Jury us still out but 3 of the last 4 qbs he coached spent time in the NFL and the 4th retired. Brohm gave O’Connell a PWO and then elevated him as he showed what he could do in practice. He recruited the highly rated Allen who is only a RS Freshman now.

I think more and more qbs will want to go play for him.

Lol they are men first of all, and I blame everyone because it's the fault of everyone. But if you need the moralistic I'm a better fan than you schtick you do you bud.
No. The line that kids who were productive players here are bad because they are bad is shitty. They aren’t. The leadership and direction they are getting is bad. You choose not to see it. That’s fine. Someday you will wake up. Until then, keep blaming the players, not the leadership.

100% this. If Brohm was here the talent would be at 6 - 7 wins. The schedule being hard is laughable. Only 2 teams were an L and that was OSU and MI

No. The line that kids who were productive players here are bad because they are bad is shitty. They aren’t. The leadership and direction they are getting is bad. You choose not to see it. That’s fine. Someday you will wake up. Until then, keep blaming the players, not the leadership.
Lol again, more slowly this time, I blame everyone. Just like the coaches and players would. But you're clearly emotional about all this.

The telling sign to me was that Card or the backs had 100 yards today against a mediocre Nebraska. I can’t ever remember a Purdue team in the past 50 years that didn’t get 100 yards passing or 100 yards on the ground. That is futilely at its best. And all this was with two weeks to prepare. Wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Could even be worse at this point. But thinking with my brain and eyes…I’ve been told thats racist.
I don't think it could be any worse than Hazzell. He was a historically bad head coach. Literally historically bad with one of the all time lowest winning% ever of a college football coach.

Lol he lost last week to a bad team.

We started this season knowing that Louisville had a cake schedule and it would have been disappointing if they didn't win 8-9 games minimum. We started this season knowing this team had a tough schedule with a talent dropoff from the prior and getting to six wins would be a challenge.

Both of those things have remained true.

Regardless, Brohm left. He wasn't run off. He wasn't mistreated. Purdue opened the bank for him and he said no. So why we are still talking about him is beyond me.
We’re talking about Brohm because he got the most out of his rosters, unlike our current coach.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT