ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith or Nigel Pack…

I felt like a lot of people got down on Braden after the Northwestern game, but if you look at his season as a whole, it has been stellar. He is overshadowed by Edey, but there are now two stars on this Purdue basketball team.

I thought TN gave him problems too.....but yea a stud for Purdue.

As to the Nigel Pack, not like we still wouldn't have Smith.

I thought TN gave him problems too.....but yea a stud for Purdue.

As to the Nigel Pack, not like we still wouldn't have Smith.
He had Ziegler up in his grill all night and handled it well. Not a huge stat night but he had a huge bucket for us in the last minute or two. Last year he wouldnt have fared so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I'll admit--I'm a huge Braden Smith fan. He's a tough, scrappy player who can get to the rim and never backs down from a fight. He will frustrate many, many teams over the next 2.5 years. Everyone around the B1G is going to hate him by the time he's done.

Braden Smith compares very favorably to Aaron Craft so far. Braden is actually a slightly better scorer and rebounder.

Reactions: DrEss
I'll admit--I'm a huge Braden Smith fan. He's a tough, scrappy player who can get to the rim and never backs down from a fight. He will frustrate many, many teams over the next 2.5 years. Everyone around the B1G is going to hate him by the time he's done.

Braden Smith compares very favorably to Aaron Craft so far. Braden is actually a slightly better scorer and rebounder.
Yes, but nowhere near the defender craft was. Braden is a ball hawk and a pest away from the ball, but has yet to be like craft as an on ball defender. Hope he can get there. But either way, kid is a gamer and fun to watch. He’s running this team better than we’ve seen in a loooong time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
We are so lucky it turned out the way it did. Fortunate to have Braden Smith!
I think I get what you are trying to say, but that really isn't the comparison/choice. It's actually Nigel Pack or Jenkins and Jones. Smith was already committed and on the team when Pack was available in the portal. Had we gotten Pack, Jenkins wouldn't have been picked up nor Jones this year.

I would have loved to have Pack last season. His 3 % would have been a blessing in many games including FDU game. For this season with the improvement of Smith, I think what Jones brings is more important to us than what Pack would have brought. JMO.

Smith reminds me of Chris Kramer with an offensive game. He is learning to use Edey’s ability to set a big screen to free himself for good shots. His toughness reminds me of Kramer…

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I compare Pack’s game more to Jones than to Smith. I see Pack as a shooting guard who is also a good ball handler. I never saw Pack as a true pg who can distribute the ball or handle the tempo or being a floor general/coach on the floor! Those are the things Smith brings to the table. I compare Smith to Scot Skyles.

If we had signed Pack, who is the player we wouldn’t have signed? I have to believe it would have been somebody else besides Smith. Who was the guy we gave the scholarship we were saving for Pack?

Reactions: tjreese
I compare Pack’s game more to Jones than to Smith. I see Pack as a shooting guard who is also a good ball handler. I never saw Pack as a true pg who can distribute the ball or handle the tempo or being a floor general/coach on the floor! Those are the things Smith brings to the table. I compare Smith to Scot Skyles.

If we had signed Pack, who is the player we wouldn’t have signed? I have to believe it would have been somebody else besides Smith. Who was the guy we gave the scholarship we were saving for Pack?
Wole, I agree with you for once 😂. And I think Jenkins would have been the guy who wouldn’t have been on the roster. Had we signed Pack.

Wole, I agree with you for once 😂. And I think Jenkins would have been the guy who wouldn’t have been on the roster. Had we signed Pack.
I agree Jenkins was the last minute replacement for Pack. At the time, Pack was projected to play 2 years. So I guess we could have had Pack instead of Jenkins and another player. Then again, Pack may have decided to leave after 1 year. Pack didn’t appear to be the most loyal player.

Reactions: Lionheart1
I agree Jenkins was the last minute replacement for Pack. At the time, Pack was projected to play 2 years. So I guess we could have had Pack instead of Jenkins and another player. Then again, Pack may have decided to leave after 1 year. Pack didn’t appear to be the most loyal player.
Could have at least saved us from the worst tournament loss ever though 😂

Reactions: johnboiler123
If we had signed Pack, we would not have played Jenkins and we would have won that tournament game, and maybe the next one.

And Pack probably would have started over Loyer.

I’m unsure if Pack would have improved our defense or our chemistry. He would have improved our 3 point shooting.

Looking at the NIL deal he received, it wasn’t from the. College, but rather from some guy who was using the money to advertise his investment company.

Ok here’s a novel idea. rather than recruiting Pack, we should have recruited that investment guy. And told that investment guy to suggest Pack play for Purdue! Isn’t that the strategy Arizona and Kansas used with their shoe company people? The university recruits the private businesses to recruit players for them. The player gets his money. The team gets the player. And the NCAA looks the other way!

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Scott Skyles was who I have thought as well

As Braden continues to develop as an offensive weapon, I’d love to see him become Purdue’s version of Collin Gillespie- a lethal scorer who makes everyone around him better- at both ends of the floor ….

All you had to do was outbid the guy who provided the NIL money to Pack. Then you wouldn't have to continue whining about it.

I thought Lenny was going to write that check.......

fa824b75-3f3f-4dbd-a679-ac1a122626c8_text.gif

It was bad, but how does anyone know other than hearing bits from the media that it was the worse tournament loss ever? Do they just assume that all rankings and invitations are accurate without fault and that the winner...just played a normal game and the higher seed played the worse ever? It was a bad loss no doubt, but those that label it the worse tournament loss have to believe that seeding has been 100% accurate for all historical games and that is hyperbole at its finest. Bad loss for Purdue...worse loss for Purdue that year...sure, but we only know that.

Last edited:
It was bad, but how does anyone know other than hearing bits from the media that it was the worse tournament loss ever? Do they just assume that all rankings and invitations are accurate without fault and that the winner...just played a normal game and the higher seed played the worse ever? It was a bad loss no doubt, but those that label it the worse tournament loss have to believe that seeding has been 100% accurate for all historical games and that is hyperbole at its finest. Bad loss for Purdue...worse loss for Purdue that year...sure, but we only know that.
Well we had the NPOTY, they had a few players from D2 and they didn’t even win their conf tournament and got in since the team that won it couldn’t go. So, basically they were a 17 seed haha.

One could argue that UVA’s loss by 20 to UMBC was worse because it was a beat down by the 16 over a 1. UVA redeeming themselves by winning it all the following year makes it a bit easier to swallow for their fans, I suppose.

Purdue just missed open shots and FDU executed their gameplan to a T. Even with The way Purdue shot last year, Id bet that Purdue beats FDU 95 times out of 100.

Well we had the NPOTY, they had a few players from D2 and they didn’t even win their conf tournament and got in since the team that won it couldn’t go. So, basically they were a 17 seed haha.

One could argue that UVA’s loss by 20 to UMBC was worse because it was a beat down by the 16 over a 1. UVA redeeming themselves by winning it all the following year makes it a bit easier to swallow for their fans, I suppose.

Purdue just missed open shots and FDU executed their gameplan to a T. Even with The way Purdue shot last year, Id bet that Purdue beats FDU 95 times out of 100.
I understand that, but the comments made by the media were worse defeat ever in the tourney and yet when people talk about Purdue players, by Purdue fans, many only go back a few years. Who quantifies worse defeat ever? It was hype by the media. It was a bad loss or horrible loss, but my database and I'm sure others is pretty limited...and then again...how does someone quantify worse loss without debate? There is no problem with anyone believing it was the worse loss ever, but to publicly declare it as factual is a different story.

Thing that impresses me the most about BS is the amount of time he handles the ball he averages 2 turnovers per game. Add the fact that he averages 6 rebounds and 13 points a game this year and I will take BS all day every day

Last edited:

A bit easier to swallow? Are you kidding? Most fans would take that loss in a heartbeat if it means winning a NC the following year.

A bit easier to swallow? Are you kidding? Most fans would take that loss in a heartbeat if it means winning a NC the following year.

Yes, sorry my tone didn’t come through. Would be pretty amazing if Purdue followed in UVA’s footsteps and did the same this year.

Ok here’s a novel idea. rather than recruiting Pack, we should have recruited that investment guy. And told that investment guy to suggest Pack play for Purdue!
Ruiz is a Miami grad and booster. What we need is a Purdue grad and superfan to become a tech billionaire.

Isn’t that the strategy Arizona and Kansas used with their shoe company people?
No.

Bad losses by Purdue never equal a national championship the following year! If that were actually true, we should have won multiple national championships in the past 20 years. Bad losses by Purdue only lead to a bunch of complaining fans in the off season!

Ruiz is a Miami grad and booster. What we need is a Purdue grad and superfan to become a tech billionaire.

No.
Don’t shoe companies “SUGGEST “ players to attend certain schools? And don’t assistant coaches at Kansas and Arizona ensure players receive their money? And do the schools or head coaches ever receive any punishment? To me, if you want a player, have one of the shoe companies buy him for you! Rather than finding some rich donor, maybe what Purdue needs to do is change shoe companies. Our current one isn’t buying enough players for us.

Don’t shoe companies “SUGGEST “ players to attend certain schools? And don’t assistant coaches at Kansas and Arizona ensure players receive their money? And do the schools or head coaches ever receive any punishment? To me, if you want a player, have one of the shoe companies buy him for you! Rather than finding some rich donor, maybe what Purdue needs to do is change shoe companies. Our current one isn’t buying enough players for us.

Nike wanted Zion at Duke or UK. Not Purdue.

adidas wanted Zion at Kansas. Not Arizona State or NC State.

Nike wanted Zion at Duke or UK. Not Purdue.

adidas wanted Zion at Kansas. Not Arizona State or NC State.
That is why we need a new shoe company that places Purdue as their priority! We are obviously not #1 on Nike’s list of where they want their players to play. Maybe we make a deal with Under Armor and they will buy a player for us!

Isn’t that how the real NIL works? The school makes a legal deal with a shoe company. And the shoe company buys the player and “suggests” they go to Purdue?

That is why we need a new shoe company that places Purdue as their priority! We are obviously not #1 on Nike’s list of where they want their players to play. Maybe we make a deal with Under Armor and they will buy a player for us!

Isn’t that how the real NIL works? The school makes a legal deal with a shoe company. And the shoe company buys the player and “suggests” they go to Purdue?
I think all of that is legal, as long as you don’t have a coach get caught brokering the deal. Like happened with Self.

I think all of that is legal, as long as you don’t have a coach get caught brokering the deal. Like happened with Self.
Even with Self, nothing really happened to him, Kansas or the players involved. There were no consequences for his actions and no motivation for him to start having any ethics in his program.

Even with Self, nothing really happened to him, Kansas or the players involved. There were no consequences for his actions and no motivation for him to start having any ethics in his program.
Agreed. The same guy who gave him the slap on the wrist also handed him the NCAA championship trophy.

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
We need to win more in March and get to April a whole lot more before shoe companies start “sending” players our way.

Sort of a chicken and egg deal there.
Duke, UNC, KU, UK had to build up at one point….just happened a long time ago. Maryland tho….haha they got lucky with the UA. But as you said, we really just need a tech billionaire from Purdue to be the guy…easy enough right? 😂 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT