ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Ryan rumor...

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
lots of discussion on twitter that he is stepping down for health reason. Not been confirmed & is only a rumor at this point, but would be a huge blow to Wisky if true. I've always liked The Count.

lots of discussion on twitter that he is stepping down for health reason. Not been confirmed & is only a rumor at this point, but would be a huge blow to Wisky if true. I've always liked The Count.

As much as he annoys me, you can't argue with what he's done. I hate to see a coach have to leave the game on anything other than their own terms.

Jordan Schultz @ Schultz_Report
"I don't believe that Bo Ryan is retiring, but I'm being told that an unnamed ACC coach created the rumor. May be negative recruiting ploy." That would be a really dirty thing to do..

Jordan Schultz @ Schultz_Report
"I don't believe that Bo Ryan is retiring, but I'm being told that an unnamed ACC coach created the rumor. May be negative recruiting ploy." That would be a really dirty thing to do..

Well if that's the case, then I heard that Tom Cream was stepping down for erectile dysfunction and Tom Izzo has swollen anal glands... ;)o_O;)o_O

Bo is going to be 68 this year. When you reach that age there is at least one coach who will ask a kid if he thinks Bo will still be coaching 4 years from now. Keady got hammered with it starting at about 60.

Just announced. Bo to step down after this season.

Wow! He is a top 2 coach in our league with Izzo for sure. Huge blow to Wisky and will be interesting to see how they replace him. This should help us long term although it probably weakens our conference.

Wow! He is a top 2 coach in our league with Izzo for sure. Huge blow to Wisky and will be interesting to see how they replace him. This should help us long term although it probably weakens our conference.
I'm betting Gard gets the job and it might be announced before this season.

ESPN article said that he as staying a year so Gard could transition to the HC position or that was his hope at least.

Wow, that sucks for UW. The count always annoyed me as well, but like others said you can't ignore what he has done. Purdue will be lucky when we start having that kind of success :D

I'm betting Gard gets the job and it might be announced before this season.

Yep, I could see it. And maybe Gard proves to be solid, but I would imagine there is a learning curve, even though he would seem to be a solid choice.

Too bad. He made the league better. We will miss him. Condolences to the Wisconsin Program. However, I am sure they will hire a good replacement.

I have to admit I was never a fan of his style of coaching. It seemed that his teams often played the game a little rougher than the rule implied you should. I still get pissed at Krab-in-slob's forearm to Lewjack. He did craft some good teams, but that still didn't endear me to his style.

:cool:

Last edited:
I'm really gonna miss the two L's you could put on the Clapper's resume each year before the season even began.

Reactions: Bill4411
I saw on the Wisky Scout board a thread about possible replacements (besides Gard). Brad Stevens was mentioned. While that would generally suck for all the other teams in the Big Ten if that happened, can you imagine the reaction from our friends to the south? I would almost feel sorry for them......

....almost. :D

I saw on the Wisky Scout board a thread about possible replacements (besides Gard). Brad Stevens was mentioned. While that would generally suck for all the other teams in the Big Ten if that happened, can you imagine the reaction from our friends to the south? I would almost feel sorry for them......

....almost. :D
I would be absolutely shocked if Stevens took the Wisky job. Sounds like wishful thinking on Wisky fans' parts. IF Stevens left the NBA, it would be to a program like Duke, I believe.

"Look into my eyes.........no fouls shall be called in the Kohl Center"

Dracula.gif

I found it interesting that Purdue is 10-10 against Wisconsin under Ryan. If this is true, let's send him into retirement with a losing record against the Boilers. Also, if you need a chuckle, look up IU's record against him.

I bet they go after Tony Bennett. and If they get him, they continue to have success....otherwise they can crawl back in that hole that they came from before Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan.

Bring back Steve Yoder

I bet they go after Tony Bennett. and If they get him, they continue to have success....otherwise they can crawl back in that hole that they came from before Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan.

Bring back Steve Yoder
Not if Ryan has his way. He wants his assistant Greg Gard to take over after he retires.

I found it interesting that Purdue is 10-10 against Wisconsin under Ryan. If this is true, let's send him into retirement with a losing record against the Boilers. Also, if you need a chuckle, look up IU's record against him.
I saw on the Illini Scout board that Ryan had a winning record against us, something like 12-10 or something. They listed his record against all Big Ten teams and he had a winning record against all of them except Rutgers and Maryland, which he was 0-1 against both. I have no idea which is correct, but maybe the 10-10 is regular season?

Bring back Steve Yoder
Why would Tony Bennett quit the Virginia job for one his father walked out on?

I would be absolutely shocked if Stevens took the Wisky job. Sounds like wishful thinking on Wisky fans' parts. IF Stevens left the NBA, it would be to a program like Duke, I believe.
I'm not even that worried if he took the UW/IU job when available. Sure he's a good coach, but not any better than anyone we already don't face (and beat).

I'm not even that worried if he took the UW/IU job when available. Sure he's a good coach, but not any better than anyone we already don't face (and beat).
Look he took Butler to two Final 4s and the NC game. If he were to go to IU the recruiting there would match his coaching ability, which is quite high. Stevens to IU would not be a good thing for Purdue MBB. Painter is like 0-fer against Butler and Xavier. He never beat Stevens head-to-head as I recall when he was at Butler.

Look he took Butler to two Final 4s and the NC game. If he were to go to IU the recruiting there would match his coaching ability, which is quite high. Stevens to IU would not be a good thing for Purdue MBB. Painter is like 0-fer against Butler and Xavier. He never beat Stevens head-to-head as I recall when he was at Butler.
I get what he did at Butler, but still compared to say Izzo I am still not that concerned if he goes to IU. I mean to be fair, Crean had success prior to IU as well and look how that has turned out. :D

Like I said he is a good coach there is no denying that, I just don't buy in to the hype that he would be some juggernaut of a coach no matter where he would end up in the league.

Ultimately I think it is irrelevant as he will end up at Duke or some other higher profile school.

As painful as SD's post is I think it also might be accurate. So far. But that changes this year! The Boilers are building momentum even in this offseason. There's a buzz! You can almost feel it. Btfu!

I get what he did at Butler, but still compared to say Izzo I am still not that concerned if he goes to IU. I mean to be fair, Crean had success prior to IU as well and look how that has turned out. :D

Like I said he is a good coach there is no denying that, I just don't buy in to the hype that he would be some juggernaut of a coach no matter where he would end up in the league.

Ultimately I think it is irrelevant as he will end up at Duke or some other higher profile school.
It's laughable to compare Crean and Stevens as coaches. Crean had one "special" season at Marquette with Dwayne Wade, where he got blown out by Kentucky in the Final Four. Stevens came within literally an eyelash of winning a NC against Duke. Don't let Steven's stumbles with Boston cloud your view of him. He is a top-line college coach and his Xs and Os are among the best. You put his bench coaching ability with the "draw" of IU in Indiana, and it would not be good for Purdue. That said, there's nothing to say that he would even be interested in coaching in Gloomington. He knows that hillbilly Hoosier fanbase all-to-well, but he also knows that IU owns the media in Indy.

It's laughable to compare Crean and Stevens as coaches.
Well there is a reason I put the smiley face after I said that ...

He is a top-line college coach
Never really said he wasn't. My point is I don't "fear" him being at IU or anywhere in the league. Painter is no slouch at X's and O's either and with a upswing in recruiting, things are turning for the better.

That said, there's nothing to say that he would even be interested in coaching in Gloomington.
Personally I think that if he were going to be at IU he would be there already. Coach K I can't imagine will coach much longer and I also would imagine that would be a dream spot for any coach to go to.

He's happy in Boston and finally has a chance to build his team. He won't be back in college for at least two and probably three years.

He's happy in Boston and finally has a chance to build his team. He won't be back in college for at least two and probably three years.
Heller,

I believe this to be the case, too. The only thing that could drive him back to college sooner is bad seasons (maybe bad luck with injuries again) or some family-related decision. It seems like Boston is building is better, young team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT