ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Keller / Smith

Glad to see him there. Haven't seen him in decades, hardly recognized him.

Great one. Bet he loves watching Smith.
As I noted in an earlier post last year, think that there numerous similarities, over several basketball generations, between them. Several classes with Bill, and got our behinds handed to us by he and the Continentals in HS. To me, their greatest similarity is the outside, early perceptions of them, and what they might be able to accomplish in a major college program. Mostly underestimated by the press, other coaches and fans in general. Has been fun watching both develop into the players they became.

As I noted in an earlier post last year, think that there numerous similarities, over several basketball generations, between them. Several classes with Bill, and got our behinds handed to us by he and the Continentals in HS. To me, their greatest similarity is the outside, early perceptions of them, and what they might be able to accomplish in a major college program. Mostly underestimated by the press, other coaches and fans in general. Has been fun watching both develop into the players they became.
The few times I spoke to Bill where he would attend various high school game, he was always a really nice guy, and recall him having some camps for a few years...shooting camps I seem to recall. Too long ago, but maybe he had children at Westfield????

Billy Keller was in the House last
Night. I'm hoping he had a chance to talk
to Smith. He would be a great menor
for our young point guard.
No doubt there are some mental aspects that might apply, but the game is also a bit different with the clock and 3 pt shot...not that Purdue back then used a lot of clock on offense. ;) I hope Billy continues to show up in Mackey.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
The few times I spoke to Bill where he would attend various high school game, he was always a really nice guy, and recall him having some camps for a few years...shooting camps I seem to recall. Too long ago, but maybe he had children at Westfield????
One of my nieces attended his camp and actually got an award from him.

Reactions: tjreese
Man, that guard group of Mount, Gilliam and Keller was so good.

In those days, only the conference champion went to tourney. Purdue won and made a great run. Illinois finished second and sat home.

Purdue was a great team that year. Mount was the best shooter I’ve seen until recently.

I'm Billy's daughter and was with him at the Minnesota game last week. It was great to see all of the fans who still adore him. And, yes, I am a Westfield alum so watching Braden succeed is extra special!

I never missed a game during Bill Keller, Herm Gilliam, and Rick Mounts college career. They all could score at will and the most talented Purdue team I have ever seen, and 68-69 was the peak. With the 3 point line, the scores would have been much higher and Purdue scored 120 against Indiana at home. With Ty Bedford, George Faerber, and Chuck Bavis, the team was loaded and I do not think the present Purdue team could have kept up with them.

I'm Billy's daughter and was with him at the Minnesota game last week. It was great to see all of the fans who still adore him. And, yes, I am a Westfield alum so watching Braden succeed is extra special!
Appreciate the feedback. I guess my mind still works some with him having children at Westfield in the past. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT