ADVERTISEMENT

AZ matchup....

Toughest test of the year so far and I don't think it's close. AZ has everything you want: Athletes, shooters and size. I'm going to the game and I can't wait. We will need to play our best defense to win this one. I think the first 10 minutes will be the key to the game. We have to come out sharp and not get down early. AZ scores "easily" so if you let them get out in front by any significant amount, it will be very hard to come back because it is very hard to get consecutive stops on them.
Yeah I'm skipping the Colts game now because the NFL wanted to schedule the same time. I will just eat the cost of the Colts tickets.

Hummel said on his podcast that there are only about 100 tickets left. No idea how accurate that is, but I'm hopeful it will be a vocal crowd (I'll certainly do my part) and we give the Boilers a semi-home court advantage.

Reactions: z_one and Schnelk
5 guys averaging double digits and the 6th guy is averaging 9. They have 9 guys that average 15+ minutes per game. Very balanced unit which makes it hard to defend. Now some of these stats are inflated because they haven't played a really tough schedule, but their schedule isn't all cupcakes either (looking at you Houston). To their credit, their next 3 opponents are PU, Alabama and FAU. They will be our toughest opponent so far and we will be theirs. Makes for a great matchup in December. This is a FF type matchup.

Getting off to a good start I think is critical. We do not want to fall behind these guys. They smell blood in the water and it could be over early. Keep it close, get in a groove and see where the chips fall in the final 10 minutes. We aren't blowing these guys out so it will be a fight for 40 minutes. IMO
Sounds like they too have depth

Purdue -1.5

Guessing.
I was close. My book just came out with all the marquee games for tomorrow. Purdue is -1.

Interestingly, futures just updated as well and Arizona and Purdue are now tied for the best odds to 'ship at +1000. Ironic I suppose.

They have four guys 7 foot or over....Plenty of fouls to give.....It's gonna come down to TO's and if our guards can guard anyone....This may be the toughest match up Zach has had....AZ will be able to put fresh guys with size on him all game
They will need them. Zach is gonna give them a lot of trouble. We will hear their fans cry like babies.

I was close. My book just came out with all the marquee games for tomorrow. Purdue is -1.

Interestingly, futures just updated as well and Arizona and Purdue are now tied for the best odds to 'ship at +1000. Ironic I suppose.
Saw it at -1.5 on DK earlier, so you were spot on in my book! I see it’s now moved to -2

Gonna need a big game by a third player - hoping it’s Loyer like vs Tennessee - should be a lot of scoring so he needs to see his first 3 go in. If it’s not Loyer then either Jones or Gillis needs to go off for about 15-18. Shocked we are 2 point favorites but it is basically a home game.

Gonna need a big game by a third player - hoping it’s Loyer like vs Tennessee - should be a lot of scoring so he needs to see his first 3 go in. If it’s not Loyer then either Jones or Gillis needs to go off for about 15-18. Shocked we are 2 point favorites but it is basically a home game.
Home game maybe based on the crowd, which should be great. But not based on knowing the floor, rims, and arena background. What ball will they use?

Home game maybe based on the crowd, which should be great. But not based on knowing the floor, rims, and arena background. What ball will they use?
Hopefully, an indoor evolution that has been used on an outdoor court obsessively so both teams have no advantage since the ball will have no grip 😂

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ESPN app shows this game now Arizona -1.5. Must be money thrown Zona’s way.

I’ve only watched a few minutes of Arizona against MSU, plus some highlights, but from a statistical perspective Arizona is extremely impressive. They do so many things at an elite level on both ends of the court. They are an even better rebounding team than Purdue while dominating eFG% and Free Throw Rate, much like Purdue does. They also force a lot more turnovers than Purdue does. They haven’t played nearly as tough a schedule overall as Purdue has, thus far, but they have played some good teams, including Duke, MSU, and Wisconsin, the latter of whom they completely dominated. Everything I have heard about them says that they have very good players at every position and a deep bench.

All that being said, I expect Purdue to be ready and I am not conceding this game at all. To me, it looks like a game that could go either way.

If Braden can get to the point where he's reliably good every game (I think he's close), that would be a very good formula for Purdue. Consistent output from Zach and Braden, one or two other guys step up each game on offense and everyone else just does their job.
This is exactly why we got beat by the team down south last year. TJD and Hood ran that pick in pop really well.

AZ is ranked #1 & I’m sure the talking heads and pundits that have been singing their praises feel it’d be a slap in their face to not have them favored. Also if you look at both teams on paper, they look so balanced, not having a weak spot that maybe it makes sense to have them favored. If we play a solid game up to the team’s capabilities, I BELIEVE we come out on top.

Might need Furst who normally rebounds better in this game vs Gillis if G has rebounding trouble.
Good point, but I would love to get the team rebounding data with Gillis vs. Furst. Furst gets more boards, but Gillis pulls the opposing 4 out to the perimeter more. He also plays almost exclusively with Edey which leaves less opportunities for defensive boards.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT