ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else feel our players

icewind7

Sophomore
Apr 25, 2005
are too passive on the court?

Sure, Wisconsin is good, but Purdue team shouldn't feel alright to lose to them, especially by 20 points.

No, we lost to the better team. We weren't able to limit their chances and take advantage or ours. They just flat out, out played us. I, in the end believe this is a good loss to have before the tourney. Nothing like seeing that type of attack against you. Great learning experience.

Boiler Up, Lets make a run boys.

Originally posted by icewind7:
are too passive on the court?

Sure, Wisconsin is good, but Purdue team shouldn't feel alright to lose to them, especially by 20 points.
So... who felt "alright to lose to them, especially by 20 points"??

I read about post-game reaction, and it was anything but .... "alright to lose to them, especially by 20 points".

But, do tell.

My take was that this was a maturity issue. And that it would be much less likely to occur next year, or the the next. Yes, they're young. And this is what happens to young teams in pressure situations.

With Ten minutes to go we were down 2. Then the roof caved in. In Madison AJ played well when Kaminski covered him. This time he didn't and I think it affected the whole team. Wisc turned up the heat and we didn't answer. Add to that Isaac played poorly like he had the several games and we got smoked for 10 minutes. That's the way I see it. If we would have been behind at the half.......

We are pretty 1-dimensional unfortunately. We depend so much on our 5 man scoring on post-ups or Mathias/Stephens knocking down outside shots coming off screens (which Wisconsin took away in the 2nd half). We need more from Octeus/Edwards/Davis driving and making plays for others. But I think with Haas/Hammons camped under the basket, that makes it difficult for those guys to do so and makes us pretty easy to defend once teams adjust in the 2nd half.

Wisconsin is loaded and very big, so hard to gauge against them. But in the tournament you need guards to make plays for you, and I think it is difficult for Octeus/Davis to do so because there just isn't the driving lane unless Painter calls a play to get Hammons setting a high screen at the end of the shot clock.

Watching Notre Dame spread the floor and make teams pick their poison defensively is the type of offense that works well in modern day college basketball. I think Octeus and Davis could be very effective in an offense like Notre Dame's since they are big guards and strong finishers....making plays off the dribble, drawing defenders and creating better looks for Mathias/Stephens if defenses collapse. Unfortunately we do the opposite and they are relegated mostly to being 3-point shooters and just post-entry guys and once a team adjusts, we just don't have another dimension.

Wisconsin showed why they are the big ten champs! They have poise. They have size. They have talent. They have one of the best coaches in the game. Sometimes we have all felt they have gotten a little dirty over the years, but THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL.
Bo has great vision in where his players will fit his system. He doesn't need 5 star players to accomplish his goals.
In the second half we missed some shots and let it get in our head. Then we had some players go down and take some STUPID shots out of frustration. Thats the difference between Wisc and other teams. Can they win it all ?? possibly so but they are human and could fall victim to better talent if they have an off day, but I'm going to put my money on them to win it all.

There are two teams who have a chance beating UK this year. Duke and Wisky. Wisky has the interior play to contend with UK's size and athleticism and their guards are as good as UK's. Duke the same.

Getting one's @$$ kicked by Wisky is no disgrace this year.

Originally posted by since1980:
We are pretty 1-dimensional unfortunately. We depend so much on our 5 man scoring on post-ups or Mathias/Stephens knocking down outside shots coming off screens (which Wisconsin took away in the 2nd half). We need more from Octeus/Edwards/Davis driving and making plays for others. But I think with Haas/Hammons camped under the basket, that makes it difficult for those guys to do so and makes us pretty easy to defend once teams adjust in the 2nd half.

Wisconsin is loaded and very big, so hard to gauge against them. But in the tournament you need guards to make plays for you, and I think it is difficult for Octeus/Davis to do so because there just isn't the driving lane unless Painter calls a play to get Hammons setting a high screen at the end of the shot clock.

Watching Notre Dame spread the floor and make teams pick their poison defensively is the type of offense that works well in modern day college basketball. I think Octeus and Davis could be very effective in an offense like Notre Dame's since they are big guards and strong finishers....making plays off the dribble, drawing defenders and creating better looks for Mathias/Stephens if defenses collapse. Unfortunately we do the opposite and they are relegated mostly to being 3-point shooters and just post-entry guys and once a team adjusts, we just don't have another dimension.

As far as the offense goes, there are different ways that the players could space themselves out and move (ie stop & go action instead of always going with the motion credo of constant movement) that could give the guards/wings a little more space to attack off the bounce (or cut strong and score off the catch without drawing charges) but Coach Painter would have to allow it.

I do think Octeus and Edwards really need to start take their open shots more often when they get them (and a teammate is hovering near the basket), as long as they typically aren't within the first 5 or 10 seconds of the shot-clock (since they don't normally play at a run-and-shoot pace anyway).

There were a lot of things CMP could have done once Josh Gasser hit the 3PT to put Wisconsin up by double-digits (55-44), IMO: put Hammons back in with 4 fouls (need your most dominant score to have a chance to win: if he fouls out, then he fouls out; can't fret over it when down double-digits), put Octeus back in and take Thompson out, and go to a full-court press off of their made baskets or dead-balls favoring Wisconsin.

That final margin sucked, but hopefully they are p.o.'d and bounce back in a big way in their first game of the NCAA Tourney this week.

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:
There are two teams who have a chance beating UK this year. Duke and Wisky. Wisky has the interior play to contend with UK's size and athleticism and their guards are as good as UK's. Duke the same.

Getting one's @$$ kicked by Wisky is no disgrace this year.
Respectfully disagree there are alot of teams that can take down Kentucky even Purdue. Sec is soft as an eggshell this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT