ADVERTISEMENT

Any thoughts on how.....

I got to believe that Harrelson wants to come here now. Duke is too crowded, iu is a mess, and Izzo seems to have lost his midas touch.
Wouldn’t be at all surprised that he has approached CMP with a commitment and was told to hold on for a bit and let me get this scholarship situation straightened out.

I got to believe that Harrelson wants to come here now. Duke is too crowded, iu is a mess, and Izzo seems to have lost his midas touch.
Wouldn’t be at all surprised that he has approached CMP with a commitment and was told to hold on for a bit and let me get this scholarship situation straightened out.
That, would be something.

Minimal impact, imo
You can’t be serious.

The biggest knock on Painter was not winning big games or getting good teams to F4s. Can’t use that against him now.

The counter point, it didn’t help UVA all that much who have gone from pretty dominant to barely making the tourney in a short stretch. They also play a boring brand of basketball which hurts them a ton. Nova is in a similar boat but were pretty good til they lost Wright because of NIL.

All that said, Painter is t going anywhere and will use this as a boon…not something that placates him and has him stop working.

Reactions: tenwest
I think it definitely helps for sure. Also, Devin Booker meeting with the team and gifting shoes also helps with recruiting…and so does NIL 😂

We will know later this year if Haralson wants to come here…which would be a HUGE get.

Reactions: tenwest
Minimal impact, imo
Definitely helps a bit from a national stand point of recruiting and maybe for the bigger recruits/transfers that may look elsewhere.

I think Purdue would need to get to a couple more F4s to show they can get there consistently and that’s when recruiting / transfers would be more impacted.

Definitely helps a bit from a national stand point of recruiting and maybe for the bigger recruits/transfers that may look elsewhere.

I think Purdue would need to get to a couple more F4s to show they can get there consistently and that’s when recruiting / transfers would be more impacted.

Yeah, if we make say 3 FFs over the next 5 years or something and at least 1 national title it might make an impact, but that would also require Painter to pursue different players.

I think we already have been hitting on "Plan A" guys at a high rate, I don't see much changing with a FF.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Yeah, if we make say 3 FFs over the next 5 years or something and at least 1 national title it might make an impact, but that would also require Painter to pursue different players.

I think we already have been hitting on "Plan A" guys at a high rate, I don't see much changing with a FF.
This. Painter isn’t going to start chasing stars again all of a sudden. If a top 30 kid fits into our player profile, great. But if they want guarantees of big PT and NIL to sign, doubt that is going to happen.

I’m sure it helps, as it changes the narrative a bit, but recruiting has changed and a lot of these kids are going to continue to treat it like a bidding war. That said, for the type of kids who choose Purdue for the right reasons, it can only help reinforce the messages that Purdue is very well coached and is a highly successful program.

the FF will impact recruiting?

It's a 2 fold situation. Yes, but NIL is the primary driver now. So while a FF or E8 team might catch a players eye, it's NIL that matters as the top driver of who & where they sign.

As far as another recruit, IF Purdue has space, I would prefer the right older, experienced NIL guy over a young recruit, especially if it's a likely 1 year player like Harrleson.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
It's a 2 fold situation. Yes, but NIL is the primary driver now. So while a FF or E8 team might catch a players eye, it's NIL that matters as the top driver of who & where they sign.

As far as another recruit, IF Purdue has space, I would prefer the right older, experienced NIL guy over a young recruit, especially if it's a likely 1 year player like Harrleson.

I dunno…Haralson looks pretty damn good. If we have a good core already and he can mix in where he’s the only Frosh, I’d say I’d take him...similar to what UConn has done with including Castle in their lineup. So Technically we’d have (pending no one leaves):

SRs - Smith, Loyer, TKR, Waddell
JRs - Heide, Colvin, Berg
Sophs - Catchings, Harris, Jacobsen, Burgess, Benter, Cox (1-3 of these guys would RS so theyd technically be freshman)
Frosh potential (prob one or the other) - Haralson, Sisley and I feel like I’m forgetting another potential top target…(help)

I dunno…Haralson looks pretty damn good. If we have a good core already and he can mix in where he’s the only Frosh, I’d say I’d take him...similar to what UConn has done with including Castle in their lineup. So Technically we’d have (pending no one leaves):

Sophs - Catchings, Harris, Jacobsen, Burgess, Benter, Cox (1-3 of these guys would RS so theyd technically be freshman)
Frosh potential (prob one or the other) - Haralson, Sisley and I feel like I’m forgetting another potential top target…(help)

Either way you are looking at a 9-12 pt per game scorer in both situations. That's about what Castle and Jones both are. In a one year guy, I prefer the right guy with experience over a rookie.

If not a 1 & done, then you have a different calculous.

Either way you are looking at a 9-12 pt per game scorer in both situations. That's about what Castle and Jones both are. In a one year guy, I prefer the right guy with experience over a rookie.

If not a 1 & done, then you have a different calculous.
Gotcha. IMO, if we have that core above I listed, I’m taking the one scholarship we have and going with the potential lotto pick (if he commits of course) for higher upside. Plus no more 24-26 year olds in 2025 cuz of Covid haha

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Sisley and Haralson, I think have been Plan A in this class since they started HS. Both were offered as Fr. Not that the plan can't change along the way, but what I've seen of the 2, they've shown no reason to cool on either. I assume we would take both if they wanted to commit. Maybe not possible to be overcommitted by 2 (can't remember if that is the rule), but could have a transfer from one of the upperclassmen on this list prior to next season and before the '25-'26 season, I think there is the possibility that any one of Smith, Colvin or Catchings could have moved on. Likely, there will eventually be room for both of these guys if they want to be here.

I don't think Painter is going to change his approach. He is going to pursue players that fit our program.

I do think with the success of Zach Edey and how he is utilized; I don't see how every big man in the country would not be looking at us for the next few years.

The other factor that might really help Painter in the future is that he has now developed a dynamic point guard. He could already point to dynamic two guards like E’Twaun, Jaden, and Carsen, but now if he is targeting a pure point guard with the potential to orchestrate the offense, he has the perfect example to point to. Painter has gotten a lot of mileage by recruiting off of the success of his bigs, but I see that starting to happen more with other positions as well, now.

Reactions: tjreese
Painter's marching orders to PJ:
"You will soon be in high demand for a head coaching job. You can't leave until you bring me at least one more Braden Smith. Preferably two."

Helps tremendously - we are on a roll and that’s what kids understand now - take Haralson if you can get him - we can make room

I'm trying to think but whose eligibility runs out after next year other than Furst's?

Sure there may be transfers but I think any momentum we'd get for 2025 would be minimal given the make-up of our roster. Projecting recruiting for 2026 will be difficult until we see the impact of the unusually large 2024 class.

I'm trying to think but whose eligibility runs out after next year other than Furst's?

Sure there may be transfers but I think any momentum we'd get for 2025 would be minimal given the make-up of our roster. Projecting recruiting for 2026 will be difficult until we see the impact of the unusually large 2024 class.

We have room for 1 in the 2025 class, based on current scholarships. The 4 position is currently getting priority with Trent Sisley being the guy.

Reactions: Schnelk
We have room for 1 in the 2025 class, based on current scholarships. The 4 position is currently getting priority with Trent Sisley being the guy.
But seems like Painter is comfortable oversigning in the portal era, so wouldn’t be shocked to see him take 2 commitments for 2025, if it’s 2 players he really likes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT