ADVERTISEMENT

And AJ Storr to do the Portal

But pros have to sign contracts. They can’t just up and leave on a whim, if they are under contract. If these kids want to be pros, they should sign contracts like pros.
They aren't pros. But sure if you want to pay them like pros then they can sign contracts. Of course, how does that work? If they suck are you stuck with them? Can you do a trade between Purdue and Illinois?

I just don't get the anger at kids for doing basic capitalism.

Agree, but I believe when you begin to get those top 75 players and aren't winning everything they will leave in a heart beat. I do believe CMP is tremendous at finding guys who will be loyal, at least recently, to him and the program. Seems like he learned a lot post Baby Boilers and the struggles that entailed. I think he was trying to do things like the other big time college coaches and learned a hard lesson... Coming out of those darkish days allowed him to figure out a very specific recruiting path that has seriously taken the program to another level. Of course we are also winning a lot and that helps... I really hope we can break that final 4 ceiling this year. CMP deserves it but more so the Boiler faithful!
I mean I love Edey, and I think he's plenty loyal to Purdue, but he's also getting a pretty sizeable NIL to play here too. As he should.

If Purdue said, we ain't setting up anything, stay for loyalty and another school said, we will pay 1 million NIL, I'm pretty sure Edey transfers, as he also should in that scenario. Loyalty only goes so far.

I mean I love Edey, and I think he's plenty loyal to Purdue, but he's also getting a pretty sizeable NIL to play here too. As he should.

If Purdue said, we ain't setting up anything, stay for loyalty and another school said, we will pay 1 million NIL, I'm pretty sure Edey transfers, as he also should in that scenario. Loyalty only goes so far.
Ok, who else? What I was alluding to was finding guys outside of the top 75 who develop into top 50 NCAA players. This allows us to have loyalty due to the faith we placed in them and the reward is winning for everyone... Hell, Edy was a 3 star recruit barely thought of when CMP signed him... The money was probably the driving force that kept him here through this season but I believe even if the NIL was much lower he would have just gone pro instead of transferring out after last season...

The next recruiting class will be interesting... It's so full our current roster can't accommodate them all... Which means a guy or 2 are going to have to leave this off season... Also means not all of this upcoming class is going to get a ton of minutes in the near future... Will be interesting how it all shakes out in the long run and if they all stay at Purdue for their college basketball careers... Good chance not all stay but lets see...

BTW Edy was the lowest rated, by far, our of Ivy and Morton... Morton, according to ESPN anyway was the highest rated guy... Funny to look back on recruits.... I also believe in the baby boiler era Hummel was rated the lowest in that class of Freshman...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think there are a few things going on.

The next recruiting class will be interesting... It's so full our current roster can't accommodate them all... Which means a guy or 2 are going to have to leave this off season... Also means not all of this upcoming class is going to get a ton of minutes in the near future... Will be interesting how it all shakes out in the long run and if they all stay at Purdue for their college basketball careers... Good chance not all stay but lets see...
We will have to have at least 1 leave, I think. Wouldn’t be surprised if 2 kids don’t come back next season to have room on the roster for this class.

I think the competition for minutes will only make this team better next year. We are fortifying our backcourt with Harris and Cox. Adding new layers in the front court with Burgess and Catchings.

If anyone would take a redshirt or get little to no playing time, I feel it would be Benter. We are going to be deep at the 2/3 with Loyer, Cam and Colvin. Kid is tough as nails and has a rounded game so who knows.

Ok, who else? What I was alluding to was finding guys outside of the top 75 who develop into top 50 NCAA players. This allows us to have loyalty due to the faith we placed in them and the reward is winning for everyone... Hell, Edy was a 3 star recruit barely thought of when CMP signed him... The money was probably the driving force that kept him here through this season but I believe even if the NIL was much lower he would have just gone pro instead of transferring out after last season...

BTW Edy was the lowest rated, by far, our of Ivy and Morton... Morton, according to ESPN anyway was the highest rated guy... Funny to look back on recruits.... I also believe in the baby boiler era Hummel was rated the lowest in that class of Freshman...
Edey literally fits your criteria. You can believe that if you want, but he wasn't ready to go pro last year and if Purdue stuffed him in NIL and someone else offered a ton of money, my opinion is he would have, rightfully, left.

It's one thing to think Painter is a great guy and coach, it's another to hyper moralize him into a Paragon of Virtue.

And he took out Essegian too. Who knows if he leaves if Storr doesn't get his minutes.

I bet he shoots up NBA draft boards and is done with college though. He has all the traits they go after.
If that’s the case I’m fine, just hate seeing guys go that had situations like him, he played 30 minutes a night, had a ton of freedom. We’ll see what happens, he’ll have all the big boys after him.

Not sure the anger is for the kids....mine for example is for the new system that by its nature creates chaos. Needs some fixes. Hope coaches work together to come up with ideas for positive change.
Agree but the NCAA has sat idle for too long and lost any leverage to do something. There are programs who will have to reload their entire roster every year for the foreseeable future. That in itself should make them snap into some sort of action.

It is crazy that the portal opens while the season is on going. Tuesday after the tourney is when it should open.

Not sure the anger is for the kids....mine for example is for the new system that by its nature creates chaos. Needs some fixes. Hope coaches work together to come up with ideas for positive change.
I certainly have no anger for the kids at all, but the current mess doesn't belong in college. I think 50 random people could put a number on a board and someone could throw a dart and come up with something better. I've been gone for a while and so did someone say something that had anger towards the kids?

I certainly have no anger for the kids at all, but the current mess doesn't belong in college. I think 50 random people could put a number on a board and someone could throw a dart and come up with something better. I've been gone for a while and so did someone say something that had anger towards the kids?
Just responded to post above by Quaz.

Reactions: tjreese
Just responded to post above by Quaz.
That isn't anger towards the kids. If I knew the kids and coaches didn't care about tonight, I wouldn't care either. My whole interest is seeing the game and approving or wishing something was different inside the game that has to do with the kids, staff...and parent. It is all about them in my eyes (and I'm fine being a unicorn ), but the NIL as used is a mess...a really big mess and kids are going to programs for the wrong reasons. It isn't that far removed when schools used athletes particularly in football, that couldn't read, and when the scholly was done...so were they. It is broke and needs fixed

That isn't anger towards the kids. If I knew the kids and coaches didn't care about tonight, I wouldn't care either. My whole interest is seeing the game and approving or wishing something was different inside the game that has to do with the kids, staff...and parent. It is all about them in my eyes (and I'm fine being a unicorn ), but the NIL as used is a mess...a really big mess and kids are going to programs for the wrong reasons. It isn't that far removed when schools used athletes particularly in football, that couldn't read, and when the scholly was done...so were they. It is broke and needs fixed
Dexter Manley, Mo Clarrett, and Lawrence Phillips to name a few

Reactions: tjreese
Edey literally fits your criteria. You can believe that if you want, but he wasn't ready to go pro last year and if Purdue stuffed him in NIL and someone else offered a ton of money, my opinion is he would have, rightfully, left.

It's one thing to think Painter is a great guy and coach, it's another to hyper moralize him into a Paragon of Virtue.
lol Definitely not "hyper moralizing him"... I'm just saying he seems to have a really good rapport with all of his former players. They really do like him a lot... He also seems to know what kind of person he wants to recruit outside of just physical talents... I'm also NOT saying we won't lose players to the portal as we already have multiple times... My main point is, adding it altogether, Purdue might not suffer as much from the transfer portal like seemingly every other team in the nation does... But lets see...

If I could change anything , it would be with the timeframe of entering the portal. It should be after a season is over so it does not become a distraction. Like when the Purdue receiver entered the portal the Monday before the IU game. He could have waited at least another week before announcing. And now we have basketball players stealing the spotlight Grabbing the headlines from where attention be given! Sorry guy, UW lost. Can’t you wait 2 weeks. Before grabbing your 15 minutes of fame?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT