ADVERTISEMENT

And AJ Storr to do the Portal

That’s ridiculous, this has a school like Kentucky or Kansas written all over it, they’re both out, likely out poaching for next year. Storr played like 30 minutes a game, Wisky gave him all the freedom he wanted, he shows his appreciation by leaving. I love college hoops, this every year free agency needs to end, at the least allow a 1 time jump, second time is an automatic year sitting out.

I think it would have been fun to spend a year at 4 different schools across the country. St John's and Wisconsin probably wouldn't be 2 of the 4 though. :cool:

May be old news, did not see a prior post. Omoruyi also is in the portal. With him and the 2 top 5/10 recruits, Rutgers was looking awesome for 2024/2025.

May be old news, did not see a prior post. Omoruyi also is in the portal. With him and the 2 top 5/10 recruits, Rutgers was looking awesome for 2024/2025.
He's not the only one they are losing:

Outgoing transfers

Gavin Griffiths: A 6-foot-8 wing, Griffiths averaged 5.8 points and shot 28.2% from 3-point range as a freshman in 2023-24, primarily coming off the bench. Griffiths committed to Rutgers as a four-star recruit, ranked No. 44 in the nation, making him the highest-ranked recruit in program history, per 247 Sports.

Clifford Omoruyi: A 6-foot-11 center, Omoruyi was a three-year starter and contributed all four years at Rutgers. As a senior, he averaged 10.4 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game while shooting 51.2% from the field. Omoruyi made the All-Big Ten third team in 2022-23 and was a two-time Big Ten All-Defensive team member. He has one year of eligibility.

Mawot Mag: A 6-foot-7 forward, Mag averaged 9.1 points and 3.8 rebounds as a in 2023-24. He was limited to 40 of Rutgers' 66 games during his junior and senior seasons due to injury, but was a key defender and secondary scorer when healthy. Mag has one year of remaining eligibility.

Antwone Woolfolk: A 6-foot-9 forward, Woolfolk played 27 games and made six starts as a sophomore in 2023-24, averaging 3.3 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. He scored 2.3 points per game as a freshman, and joined Rutgers out of Charles F. Brush High School in Cleveland, Ohio.

Daniel Vessey: A 6-foot-3 guard, Vessey did not play in any games as a freshman walk-on in 2023-24. He joined Rutgers out of The Hun School of Princeton in Princeton, N.J.

Derek Simpson: A 6-foot-3 guard, Simpson averaged 7.1 points off the bench as a freshman and 8.3 points as a sophomore starter, both seasons at Rutgers. He shot 25.2% from 3-point range across 66 games and 31 career starts. He has two years of remaining eligibility.

Antonio Chol: A 6-foot-9 forward, Chol played in just 11 games across two seasons at Rutgers. He was a three-star recruit, ranked the No. 63 power forward in the nation, out of Minnesota Preparatory Academy.

looks like he was a focused student athlete trying to find better academics. ;)
Let's stop the fiction most top college athletes are in it for academics or that there's anything wrong with that reality.

It's not Storr's fault that college is the only viable path for most players talented enough to play in the NBA or NFL.

Baseball has a farm system where athletes not interested in college can go from high school to effectively an apprenticeship.

But the NFL and NBA mostly use college for that apprenticeship. Yes I realize the NBA does have a couple of alternate paths, but they don't have a dedicated farm system so someone like Storr will have to usually do the college route.

Now add in NIL and it makes much more sense for players of his level to look at it as a business to make max money and not as primarily being a student who just happens to have a serious basketball hobby.

Reactions: rgarlitz

Outgoing transfers

Gavin Griffiths: A 6-foot-8 wing, Griffiths averaged 5.8 points and shot 28.2% from 3-point range as a freshman in 2023-24, primarily coming off the bench. Griffiths committed to Rutgers as a four-star recruit, ranked No. 44 in the nation, making him the highest-ranked recruit in program history, per 247 Sports.

Clifford Omoruyi: A 6-foot-11 center, Omoruyi was a three-year starter and contributed all four years at Rutgers. As a senior, he averaged 10.4 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game while shooting 51.2% from the field. Omoruyi made the All-Big Ten third team in 2022-23 and was a two-time Big Ten All-Defensive team member. He has one year of eligibility.

Mawot Mag: A 6-foot-7 forward, Mag averaged 9.1 points and 3.8 rebounds as a in 2023-24. He was limited to 40 of Rutgers' 66 games during his junior and senior seasons due to injury, but was a key defender and secondary scorer when healthy. Mag has one year of remaining eligibility.

Antwone Woolfolk: A 6-foot-9 forward, Woolfolk played 27 games and made six starts as a sophomore in 2023-24, averaging 3.3 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. He scored 2.3 points per game as a freshman, and joined Rutgers out of Charles F. Brush High School in Cleveland, Ohio.

Daniel Vessey: A 6-foot-3 guard, Vessey did not play in any games as a freshman walk-on in 2023-24. He joined Rutgers out of The Hun School of Princeton in Princeton, N.J.

Derek Simpson: A 6-foot-3 guard, Simpson averaged 7.1 points off the bench as a freshman and 8.3 points as a sophomore starter, both seasons at Rutgers. He shot 25.2% from 3-point range across 66 games and 31 career starts. He has two years of remaining eligibility.

Antonio Chol: A 6-foot-9 forward, Chol played in just 11 games across two seasons at Rutgers. He was a three-star recruit, ranked the No. 63 power forward in the nation, out of Minnesota Preparatory Academy.
I've been hearing Cliff to the Johnnie's

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Griffiths and Omoruyi leaving Rutgers puts a dent in the highly rated recruiting class coming in next year. I’d guess they were a significant part of the plan for putting the team together next year with the Harper and Bailey crew.

AJ Storr school history:

2018-19: Kankakee HS
2019-20: Bishop Gorman HS
2020-21: AZ Compass Prep
2021-22: IMG Academy
2022-23: St. John’s University
2023-24: University of Wisconsin
2024: Entered transfer portal again + testing NBA Draft waters
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', don't mean nothin', honey, if it ain't free, no no
Yeah, feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues
You know feelin' good was good enough for me

Let's stop the fiction most top college athletes are in it for academics or that there's anything wrong with that reality.

It's not Storr's fault that college is the only viable path for most players talented enough to play in the NBA or NFL.

Baseball has a farm system where athletes not interested in college can go from high school to effectively an apprenticeship.

But the NFL and NBA mostly use college for that apprenticeship. Yes I realize the NBA does have a couple of alternate paths, but they don't have a dedicated farm system so someone like Storr will have to usually do the college route.

Now add in NIL and it makes much more sense for players of his level to look at it as a business to make max money and not as primarily being a student who just happens to have a serious basketball hobby.
First it was a joke. Second it isn't his fault that he cares little about academics and wants to be that low percent that makes it. None of this makes it right as far as a mission of college. I don't have the years in front of me to see when he placed basketball of such importance. College should NOT be the route to the NBA for those that really don't care about college. All said, it is obvious that academics was not his interest and that is the end of the story. Doesn't make him a bad person. I wonder how many credits he has lost and if he was ever really enrolled in a real major or just seeking basketball. There should be another avenue for those that are not interested in college, but in some sport to do their sport elsewhere. I suspect there are other players of similar ability that have not ran around so many basketball places to play ball. The log tells a bit about his interests that is all.

This mercenary basketball we are seeing has no place in a college setting...even though it is here.

First it was a joke. Second it isn't his fault that he cares little about academics and wants to be that low percent that makes it. None of this makes it right as far as a mission of college. I don't have the years in front of me to see when he placed basketball of such importance. College should NOT be the route to the NBA for those that really don't care about college. All said, it is obvious that academics was not his interest and that is the end of the story. Doesn't make him a bad person. I wonder how many credits he has lost and if he was ever really enrolled in a real major or just seeking basketball. There should be another avenue for those that are not interested in college, but in some sport to do their sport elsewhere. I suspect there are other players of similar ability that have not ran around so many basketball places to play ball. The log tells a bit about his interests that is all.

This mercenary basketball we are seeing has no place in a college setting...even though it is here.
Isn't that what the D-league was supposed to do?

But it doesn't. And college sports is a billion dollar business now. So decrying the end of the student athlete while schools and conferences have their own networks and making billions off these players while simultaneously most pro leagues use college as a training ground is the problem, not players who are locked into this system.

If there were viable paths for pro level players to not be in college then they wouldn't be in college.

Reactions: ghost_of_d.
I would be upset if I donated funds to a kid only to have them leave. NIL should be tied to the school and is forfeited with a transfer or student-initiated non-play.

Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
Here's an up to date (so far) B1G transfer tracker. It's going to be weird to see those West Coast schools on these pages for a while.

Rutgers and Michigan will need 8+ players next year. Wow.

Griffiths and Omoruyi leaving Rutgers puts a dent in the highly rated recruiting class coming in next year. I’d guess they were a significant part of the plan for putting the team together next year with the Harper and Bailey crew.
And Simpson was a somewhat decent guard for them too

I have no problem with any league whether the D or even another started. It is just a farce to pretend that what is going on today in many schools is the student athlete. Let them compete in another league to get better, but I wonder if they would get the interest that happens in college and then you have to ask why? If it was about better ball players, then they should have a better following. Instead,in the past, and at Purdue for the most part, we see these players with some connection to the University ...some connection to us. I know it isn't like years ago and in a smaller school, but it is that connection real or fake that brings them the interest of so many. If they were in another league, there wouldn't be the exposure because people would see it as it really is instead of how they may imagine it is today.

Outgoing transfers

Unbelievable amount of departures. Something's up.? Weird they lost 2 great ones last year and then 7 good ones this year.....????

Of those Mag is the guy I would want...good both ways.

Unbelievable amount of departures. Something's up.? Weird they lost 2 great ones last year and then 7 good ones this year.....????

Of those Mag is the guy I would want...good both ways.

It's weird. I wonder I wonder if it has something to do with NIL? Maybe the 2 top 5 Freshman got huge paydays and the rest didn't like their cut and said ✌️

Several years ago Calipari gave a speech that many people disagreed with. He claimed the purpose of college was to educate and train people to be ready and successful in their next job. He claimed his players came to Kentucky not to learn English or Spanish or Calculus or any other academic thing. Their purpose in coming to Kentucky was to prepare themselves for their next job in the NBA. And he didn’t really really care about academics. What he cared about was getting his players in the pros.

I have to hand it to him. At least he was honest. He admitted all he cared about was basketball . And he treated his players as if they were part of some basketball playing internship. And his basketball players should get college credit for playing basketball. Sort of like giving 3 credits for completing Basketball 101.

I thought he was crazy for admitting this publicly. But as I look back at it, maybe he was right. None of the players he recruited wanted a college degree. All they really wanted was a place to stay until they were in the pros. All they really wanted was a place to showcase their talents. It’s not like taking chemistry or calculus was going to improve their draft stock.

So his recruits came to Kentucky basically came to improve their draft stock. Along the way, they become more focused on improving their draft stock over learning how to function as a team . Uk become a stepping stone to the nba rather than a team.

Academics? GPA?? that’s what the walkons are for.

I have to admit and ask if you were offered your dream job as an engineer after your freshman or sophomore year, would you stick around for another 2-3 years just to get a degree? Or would you leave school for that job as quick as possible?

Several years ago Calipari gave a speech that many people disagreed with. He claimed the purpose of college was to educate and train people to be ready and successful in their next job. He claimed his players came to Kentucky not to learn English or Spanish or Calculus or any other academic thing. Their purpose in coming to Kentucky was to prepare themselves for their next job in the NBA. And he didn’t really really care about academics. What he cared about was getting his players in the pros.

I have to hand it to him. At least he was honest. He admitted all he cared about was basketball . And he treated his players as if they were part of some basketball playing internship. And his basketball players should get college credit for playing basketball. Sort of like giving 3 credits for completing Basketball 101.

I thought he was crazy for admitting this publicly. But as I look back at it, maybe he was right. None of the players he recruited wanted a college degree. All they really wanted was a place to stay until they were in the pros. All they really wanted was a place to showcase their talents. It’s not like taking chemistry or calculus was going to improve their draft stock.

So his recruits came to Kentucky basically came to improve their draft stock. Along the way, they become more focused on improving their draft stock over learning how to function as a team . Uk become a stepping stone to the nba rather than a team.

I have to admit and ask if you were offered your dream job as an engineer after your freshman or sophomore year, would you stick around for another 2-3 years just to get a degree? Or would you leave school for that job as quick as possible?
Although most or at least many of us were too ignorant while in college to understand that college was a lot more than preparing for a job...especially if it takes tax dollars. I hope high school never gets to the point of preparing for jobs as a primary goal. That is the last chance to educate many students. That said...college does try to prepare one for the job market...but it should be more than that. Ideally, it also produces a well rounded student. Unfortunately, censorship in some places limits the exposure and group thought runs rampant...which in the "past" might be found more in private schools, but not sure today. I don't know anything about this, but certainly wouldn't surprise me

That’s ridiculous, this has a school like Kentucky or Kansas written all over it, they’re both out, likely out poaching for next year. Storr played like 30 minutes a game, Wisky gave him all the freedom he wanted, he shows his appreciation by leaving. I love college hoops, this every year free agency needs to end, at the least allow a 1 time jump, second time is an automatic year sitting out.
And he took out Essegian too. Who knows if he leaves if Storr doesn't get his minutes.

I bet he shoots up NBA draft boards and is done with college though. He has all the traits they go after.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler

If someone said to a student after his second year in college, come to Google or whatever company you want to choose, and we will start you at 125k and if you do well, you'll have the potential to double or triple that in ten years, what would you advise them to do?

Stay in college and get a good education, or take the fantastic career start?

I mean anyone who says they'd advise that student to turn that down so they can get an arbitrary number of years of education will have a hard time justifying that.

The entire point of college is to set you up for a chance at a successful career. For yourself, for your family. It's not to say hey I got a piece of paper that says I spent four years studying something.

If it was, we'd be celebrating philosophy majors.

Of course, the downside is that not every player who comes in is NBA quality obviously. So, you have some who will fail, but that's no different than anything else in life. You try, and if you have the talent you succeed, and if you don't, you adjust.

You can play overseas, or you can go back to school and finish it like anyone else (and likely with much less student loans debt since you don't have to pay for all four years).

Or you can be a plumber. If we really cared about education, we'd demand that pro sports leagues establish apprentice leagues and then we'd be cool with the lower level of play from the "student athletes" who remained.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Here’s hoping that Painter can maintain the continuity that he has established at Purdue. I have no interest in seeing 50% of the roster turn over every year.
Agree, but I believe when you begin to get those top 75 players and aren't winning everything they will leave in a heart beat. I do believe CMP is tremendous at finding guys who will be loyal, at least recently, to him and the program. Seems like he learned a lot post Baby Boilers and the struggles that entailed. I think he was trying to do things like the other big time college coaches and learned a hard lesson... Coming out of those darkish days allowed him to figure out a very specific recruiting path that has seriously taken the program to another level. Of course we are also winning a lot and that helps... I really hope we can break that final 4 ceiling this year. CMP deserves it but more so the Boiler faithful!

Reactions: rgarlitz
If someone said to a student after his second year in college, come to Google or whatever company you want to choose, and we will start you at 125k and if you do well, you'll have the potential to double or triple that in ten years, what would you advise them to do?

Stay in college and get a good education, or take the fantastic career start?

I mean anyone who says they'd advise that student to turn that down so they can get an arbitrary number of years of education will have a hard time justifying that.

The entire point of college is to set you up for a chance at a successful career. For yourself, for your family. It's not to say hey I got a piece of paper that says I spent four years studying something.

If it was, we'd be celebrating philosophy majors.

Of course, the downside is that not every player who comes in is NBA quality obviously. So, you have some who will fail, but that's no different than anything else in life. You try, and if you have the talent you succeed, and if you don't, you adjust.

You can play overseas, or you can go back to school and finish it like anyone else (and likely with much less student loans debt since you don't have to pay for all four years).

Or you can be a plumber. If we really cared about education, we'd demand that pro sports leagues establish apprentice leagues and then we'd be cool with the lower level of play from the "student athletes" who remained.
But pros have to sign contracts. They can’t just up and leave on a whim, if they are under contract. If these kids want to be pros, they should sign contracts like pros.

I'd like to see a return to the rule of having to sit out a year when transferring the first time. Since that won't happen, maybe(as was posted previously) a kid gets one "free" transfer with any subsequent transfer requiring a year of sitting out. Maybe that would slow down some of the NIL/player buying that is occurring. Doubt there'd be many cases of player buying if a kid would have to sit a year.

Other current problem is the free china virus year so many are using now. Will be interesting to see if the huge number of players in the portal drops significantly once those guys are flushed out of the system over the next year or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT