ADVERTISEMENT

48-8 FT advantage

How about the play before when Buie TACKLED Braden Smith? How about the phantom foul call on Gillis? How about Buie double dribbling TWICE and not getting called. How about Edey's cylinder not existing the entire game and he probably could have had another 20 fouls called on Northwestern? This freaking narrative that Collins is pushing is total BS and he knows it.

3g5k6.jpg
Are they going to be consistent with the cylinder rule or not? I kind of recall Hummel talking about it during a game a while back when it was called and it may not have been a Purdue game. He was like wow, you don’t see that called very often anymore even though it was a point of emphasis a short time ago. And yes, technically Edey’s cylinder is violated about every time, especially when the defender is walking into him during his shot. Take note Big Ten refs as you read this.

Reactions: mean_gene
Chris Collins drives 100 mph through a school zone and is confused by the ticket he is issued - News @ 11.

Chris Collins punches random stranger in the face and confused by the assault charge News @ 10.

Chris Collins confused after getting food poisoning from eating chicken tartar News @ 9.

Northwestern game plan to guard Edey - send a double team that keeps walking straight into him when he has the ball in the post. This should be a foul and a violation of the cylinder rule every single time. Same as they did in Evanston when we shot 41 free throws. They are lucky the refs don't call it every time they do it.

Also, 10 of those free throws came as a result of Northwestern intentionally fouling or via technical fouls with 29 seconds or less left in OT after Purdue went up multiple possessions. Chrissy Collins made sure to set up his excuse to cry about before he got run. His game plan is to foul the hell out of Edey and because we shot poorly from the free throw line and they shot out their ass from the 3 point line it was close. Chrissy was just upset that he couldn't coach his team to victory in spite of those things.
Love this x1000.

Collins literally said going into the game that they had 15 fouls to give at the five and they were going to use them. Add to that the intentional and technical foul shots and the discrepancy is easily explainable by shot selection.

Taking the time to understand causation is hard, most people just don't care to do it.

Yes, that is more worrisome as fouls should be called when present.
We'll find out early in that game. If the refs don't set the tone from the outset it's going to be constant muggings. Hopefully the league doesn't want to showcase that on big stage.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Chris Collins drives 100 mph through a school zone and is confused by the ticket he is issued - News @ 11.

Chris Collins punches random stranger in the face and confused by the assault charge News @ 10.

Chris Collins confused after getting food poisoning from eating chicken tartar News @ 9.

Chris Collins comes thisclose to sweeping No. 1 and No. 2 Purdue.

I just wish our defense had been close enough to foul. We kept leaving so many things open, all the guys in Mackey were double-checking their flies.

I’d like to see everyone’s sentiments if that count were reversed, like the old days in swayback hall. Or on the last play against Texas in the Hoosier Dome. Recall any poundings of the podium?

As for context, it’s the widest discrepancy in a Big Ten game since any of these players were born, yet we were a floater away from being swept by the kitties, now averaging 94 points per game against us. Phantom calls? Phantom defense. Again.

Just be thankful we won.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I just wish our defense had been close enough to foul. We kept leaving so many things open, all the guys in Mackey were double-checking their flies.

I’d like to see everyone’s sentiments if that count were reversed, like the old days in swayback hall. Or on the last play against Texas in the Hoosier Dome. Recall any poundings of the podium?

As for context, it’s the widest discrepancy in a Big Ten game since any of these players were born, yet we were a floater away from being swept by the kitties, now averaging 94 points per game against us. Phantom calls? Phantom defense. Again.

Just be thankful we won.
I’d be mad if it were the other way IF we were actually being fouled by NU. NU took a ton of jump shots and 3s…thus limiting their opportunities to get to the FT line.

Also for the season, NU fouls a ton, Purdue is one of the best at getting fouled and also doesnt foul much due to non aggressive defense. NU also doesn’t shoot FTs much in any games so when you combine all that, we see what happens. When NU DID go in the paint and try to score, they did get fouls called on Purdue (2 on Gillis come to mind right away—even if they were weak, but they WERE fouls).

Reactions: Boiler Buck
There is a reason why the B1G craps the bed in March every year. Don't be surprised once again when no team makes it past the S16 as tackle basketball isn't allowed anymore. The truth is Edey should foul out in the 1st half of most games.

Last edited:

Just be thankful we won.
Agree that it isn’t fun being on the other side of the coin. I do think his complaining about it diminishes his teams efforts against us.

If our Edey and Smith shoot at their season average, not sure this game is close. As for TKR, has he considered shooting floaters during FT attempts? How is he so bad at the line?

Just be thankful we won.
And if Northwestern had a couple more players or coaches throw tantrums after the game was decided the disparity would have been even larger. Doesn't mean anything other than Collins is an entitled brat who was trying to set up an excuse to cry about.

There is a reason why the B1G craps the bed in March every year. Don't be surprised once again when no team makes it past the S16 as tackle basketball isn't allowed anymore. The truth is Edey should foul out in the 1st half of most games.

Were those B1G refs at the Maui Invitational, or in Canada when we played Bama or Indy when we played zona?

The B1G craps the bed because the B1G officiating allows the teams to beat the shit out of one another for 20 games (2.5 months) and teams are worn down by then.

What you posted is a foul on NU prior to edey getting the ball.

Just because you don’t like Purdue and edey has dominated IU, doesn’t mean edey “should foul out in the first half of games”. He’s actually pretty damn skilled for a 7’4 kid and is smart as well—knows when to foul and not to. He doesn’t have to foul cuz uh ….he’s huge and there’s not reason to.

I know you didn’t watch the whole game and just took this off social media as it’s making it’s rounds, but you really should get some more context from the game.

I’m sure you weren’t complaining about IU getting 30 FTs to FGCUs 9 at the beginning of the year? Where FGCU barely lost to IU or maybe the 22-9 in favor of IU over Army?

With all due respect, GTFO. That was multiple fouls by Northwestern that weren’t called. How do you think he got his hand in the cookie jar?

His hands also go past vertical which is a foul.

Seriously, GTFO

Reactions: boilermaker75
The hook by Jones on the baseline was missed by the refs, and put Collins over the edge. It was an egregious miss by Courtney. Collins, given his predisposition to think he getting hosed, went ballistic; a rare instance where his rage was justified.
Wrong. Pastarelli stuck his knee outside of his shoulders. That’s a block. Happened before the hook.

Now do the phantom calls on Gillis when he was vertical, the Buie double dribbles, the hook and hold on Edey, and he ball that bounced off the NW bigs leg in the first half.

Yes. It's called the cylinder rule. The defender can't stick his head on top of Edey's shoulder when he is posting up and then cry when Edey lifts his arm up to position for an entry pass. Should've been a foul before he even caught the ball.

Problem is you want the physicality to be allowed for those guarding him but then cry if he's allowed to be be physical himself. Clearly just fans whining because they can't guard him without fouling.

Yes. It's called the cylinder rule. The defender can't stick his head on top of Edey's shoulder when he is posting up and then cry when Edey lifts his arm up to position for an entry pass. Should've been a foul before he even caught the ball.

Problem is you want the physicality to be allowed for those guarding him but then cry if he's allowed to be be physical himself. Clearly just fans whining because they can't guard him without fouling.
💯 💯 💯

The hook by Jones on the baseline was missed by the refs, and put Collins over the edge. It was an egregious miss by Courtney. Collins, given his predisposition to think he getting hosed, went ballistic; a rare instance where his rage was justified.
You don't know a damn thing about Courtney Green. Another game we didn't cover.

• Haha
Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Agree that it isn’t fun being on the other side of the coin. I do think his complaining about it diminishes his teams efforts against us.

If our Edey and Smith shoot at their season average, not sure this game is close. As for TKR, has he considered shooting floaters during FT attempts? How is he so bad at the line?

We should’ve had Braden hang on their arms while shooting free throws to simulate game shots.

What about when Collins was on the floor when NU was on offense and was practically a sixth man for NU? He was literally in the corner before the ball went out of bounds and had to dodge the ball while on the court. Coaches aren’t allowed to be on the court like that.

What about the blatantly missed double dribble by Buie before that all went down too? Just going to ignore that too?

Zach got fouled twice as he was catching the ball. Boo does the arm wrap on every screen. He didn't get called for it even once.

• Love
Reactions: northside100

Lol spare me. Everyone calls your place the “Hall of Calls” for a reason. As stated before, look at the FTs for your FGCU and Army games.

And if Northwestern had a couple more players or coaches throw tantrums after the game was decided the disparity would have been even larger. Doesn't mean anything other than Collins is an entitled brat who was trying to set up an excuse to cry about.

I thought he was very funny, waving at the crowd on the way out after ranting at the refs but taking time in between to personally congratulate Painter, Gillis, Morton and Edey. Everyone howled.

A true jerk would just do the blow by.

And how many people here crying about the crying have insisted Painter should do more of the same? If we were outscored from the line 29-6 in an overtime game and he didn’t say something, heads would explode and we’d all be covered in beer.

I thought he was very funny, waving at the crowd on the way out after ranting at the refs but taking time in between to personally congratulate Painter, Gillis, Morton and Edey. Everyone howled.

A true jerk would just do the blow by.

And how many people here crying about the crying have insisted Painter should do more of the same? If we were outscored from the line 29-6 in an overtime game and he didn’t say something, heads would explode and we’d all be covered in beer.
Thankfully Painter isn't some child prone to temper tantrums like Collins or the average fan.

I don’t look at free throws. I look at fouls. 31-16. Five gives by NW at the end . Down to discrepancy of 11. NW known for fouling and Collins as its was game plan. Purdue know for not fouling. So it makes sense,

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Another thing noticeable to those of us at the game and maybe not on TV. Collins was "present" in his teams' huddles/time-outs less than 50% of the time. He was busy "discussing" things with the refs. Some fans wish CMP was more like that. I am glad that our coach was busy coaching. The Northwestern players are experienced, talented, smart, and well-prepared(to Collins' credit). They deserve better in-game coaching. Just my opinion.

Collins is especially full of it when you realize his game plan was, "Foul Edey every time he gets the ball. The refs can't blow the whistle every time down the floor." The guy had 3 players hacking him every time he touched the ball. We should have won this game in regulation if Edey had hit his normal % of free throws. He went crazy in OT when 2 of the 3 goons assigned to attacking him had fouled out. Collins is not alone in this strategy, many other coaches adopt the same strategy. Edey deserves more kudos for his stamina and reserve. I can't ever remember him getting mad at the constant onslaught or looking tired due to the constant beating.

Why do I have the feeling Edey is going to be on the bench with two early fouls on Sunday?

Unfortunately refs are humans and the massive reaction to the discrepancy probably isn't going to be favorable to us against UW.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Northwestern shot 3s and jump shots until the last 2 minutes.
and Purdue let those shots go without contesting them. FTs shot tell you nothing about the refs and fouls on their own. Purdue had 9 of their 15 fouls on NWs guards and what coach tells you to foul a jump shooter. The way Purdue played D and lack of contesting shots for the most part suggests that Matt did NOT want for NW to get to the line and live there with their shooters.

St Peter’s…hmm. Oh the Rock on which Jesus built His church?
You have just entered an area that could arouse different understandings. OMG!!!! And who do they say I am at which time he answers and then He gives Peter his name signifying something of significance. The next discussion is whether it should be rock, stone or pebble and whether it was masculine or feminine. This got me really laughing, but most will not understand the background around such! Hell, I'm still working on trying to explain zone, man and match-up sometimes ;)

Last edited:
Why do I have the feeling Edey is going to be on the bench with two early fouls on Sunday?

Unfortunately refs are humans and the massive reaction to the discrepancy probably isn't going to be favorable to us against UW.
Hopefully refs are smarter than that. FTs are never a direct comparison of fouls which the real issue. 21 out of the 31 fouls ( counting intentional late in the game) were at their 4 and 5 spots. What happens is ALL the coaches try to get more fouls called on Zach because that is their best defense and so they form their own group in repeating such when able. Wisc can't employ the same approach because they use their bigs to score and don't want to lose them either. NW didn't need their bigs on O and so it made sense to do what they did, and do against Purdue.

Hopefully refs are smarter than that. FTs are never a direct comparison of fouls which the real issue. 21 out of the 31 fouls ( counting intentional late in the game) were at their 4 and 5 spots. What happens is ALL the coaches try to get more fouls called on Zach because that is their best defense and so they form their own group in repeating such when able. Wisc can't employ the same approach because they use their bigs to score and don't want to lose them either. NW didn't need their bigs on O and so it made sense to do what they did, and do against Purdue.
Refs are humans. Humans are affected by large volume opinion no matter how smart they are. We will see though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT