ADVERTISEMENT

48-8 FT advantage

Apr 1, 2019
Not surprised Collins was not a happy camper. Reminds me of Blake Griffin and Oklahoma shooting 46 FTs to Purdue’s 5 in the preseason NIT many moons ago. It’s hard to accept that a game is called fairly when the FT attempts are ridiculously one-sided. But, I didn’t see the game, so maybe Purdue didn’t get a heaping helping of home cooking.

Reactions: Schnelk
Not surprised Collins was not a happy camper. Reminds me of Blake Griffin and Oklahoma shooting 46 FTs to Purdue’s 5 in the preseason NIT many moons ago. It’s hard to accept that a game is called fairly when the FT attempts are ridiculously one-sided. But, I didn’t see the game, so maybe Purdue didn’t get a heaping helping of home cooking.
Northwestern was trying to foul and Purdue was trying not to foul.

Northwestern is a walking foul. They are taught to push the physicality to the edge and rely on their coaching staff to soften the refs up. After all, what ref wants to foul half the team out? That along with NU just shooting jump shots and Purdue pounding it inside is going to cause the foul disparity. Also, NU had to foul a lot at the end to stop the clock and the Collins T free throws added more to the difference.

Well since you didn’t watch here are some stats below. Purdue is one of the best teams in the country in getting fouled and not fouling —Purdue does not play an aggressive defense like years past.

Additionally, Purdue was expected to shoot right around what they did. However, when a team like northwestern has a strategy of fouling to see if the refs call it and (shocker) they do, then there will be a lot of FTs. Also NW shot a whole lot of jump shots/3s so they didn’t give themselves a lot of opportunities to get fouled.

46 to 8 and 10 of Purdue‘s foul shots were in the last 29 seconds when NW was intentionally fouling. Context matters

NW played perimeter mostly and got a lot of pretty wide open shots so there simply weren't a lot of fouls to be had for them.

We worked inside and drove a lot more hence the foul discrepancy.

It is obvious you did not see the game

Collins had a great strategy foul on every Purdue possession and dare the refs to call it. They called more than usual, but Purdue missed a lot of free throws and NW almost won on Purdue’s court. However, Collins fit at the end deserves a suspension.

If you look at the number of fouls, it was 29-15. Northwestern had a number of intentional stop the clock fouls at the end, so minus those it was more like 25-15, which isn’t a huge difference and makes sense considering how Foul prone Northwestern is with their aggressive defensive and Purdue working the inside. One team is going to have more fouls than the other. It’s not a let’s make it equal thing.

It was pointed out -- during the game -- that NW commits more fouls than any team in the B1G. And Purdue takes the most foul shots. The discrepency was completely expected. It is a bit silly to judge the fairness of the refereeing based on the box score.

It was pointed out -- during the game -- that NW commits more fouls than any team in the B1G. And Purdue takes the most foul shots. The discrepency was completely expected. It is a bit silly to judge the fairness of the refereeing based on the box score.
Don’t check social media then, Andy!! Because they are doing JUST that

Northwestern game plan to guard Edey - send a double team that keeps walking straight into him when he has the ball in the post. This should be a foul and a violation of the cylinder rule every single time. Same as they did in Evanston when we shot 41 free throws. They are lucky the refs don't call it every time they do it.

Also, 10 of those free throws came as a result of Northwestern intentionally fouling or via technical fouls with 29 seconds or less left in OT after Purdue went up multiple possessions. Chrissy Collins made sure to set up his excuse to cry about before he got run. His game plan is to foul the hell out of Edey and because we shot poorly from the free throw line and they shot out their ass from the 3 point line it was close. Chrissy was just upset that he couldn't coach his team to victory in spite of those things.

Last edited:
Northwestern is a walking foul. They are taught to push the physicality to the edge and rely on their coaching staff to soften the refs up. After all, what ref wants to foul half the team out? That along with NU just shooting jump shots and Purdue pounding it inside is going to cause the foul disparity. Also, NU had to foul a lot at the end to stop the clock and the Collins T free throws added more to the difference.
Good points! It's really a pretty good strategy especially against a guy that really no team can stop and looks even better when Zach struggles from the line, but then to bitch about it in the press conference is ridiculous. He just banked on them allowing even more contact than they did, apparently.

I actually thought a couple of the fouls called on Purdue (like on Gillis) were bogus, and there could have been a lot more fouls called on purple.

Collins is shrewd; when the game was lost, he decided to have a fit in order to cause this out-of-context narrative. I think he knows exactly what he’s doing.

I actually thought a couple of the fouls called on Purdue (like on Gillis) were bogus, and there could have been a lot more fouls called on purple.

Collins is shrewd; when the game was lost, he decided to have a fit in order to cause this out-of-context narrative. I think he knows exactly what he’s doing.
My opinion, the last 3 (maybe the only 3 he had) were all bogus.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Should have been more fouls called. A lot of NW fouls not called.

As to NW not getting calls, hard to get a foul on jump shots.

I’ve always said, if you have to complain about the refs then you didn’t play well enough to win.

The hook by Jones on the baseline was missed by the refs, and put Collins over the edge. It was an egregious miss by Courtney. Collins, given his predisposition to think he getting hosed, went ballistic; a rare instance where his rage was justified.

Yes that was missed as was the foul right before that when the NW players got in the Purdue players cone space. They also missed the double drible on Bouie. Missed about 100 fouls by NW on Edey.

One thing that wasn't missed the best team won.....in a game that would not have been close had Purdue not missed 17 foul shots.

Last edited:

Gard was very happy with him saying that. Plants the seed in the refs minds just before the Wisky game.

Reactions: wferrel
Yes that was missed as was the foul right before that when the NW players got in the Purdue players cone space. They also missed the double drible on Bouie. Missed about 100 fouls by NW on Edey.

One thing that wasn't missed the best team won.....in a game that would not have been close had Purdue not missed 17 foul shots.
Also missed — Collins out on the floor, taking up space on the two trips down the floor for NU prior to the “controversial” Lance foul call.

If you look at the number of fouls, it was 29-15. Northwestern had a number of intentional stop the clock fouls at the end, so minus those it was more like 25-15, which isn’t a huge difference and makes sense considering how Foul prone Northwestern is with their aggressive defensive and Purdue working the inside. One team is going to have more fouls than the other. It’s not a let’s make it equal thing.
Per Fox sports website, Purdue averages 13.9 fouls a game and NU averages 18.2. So subtracting off the stop the clock fouls at the end, both teams were about at the averages. Not enough calls on Purdue? They are above average. And NU doesn’t play Purdue’s inside game all the time to get that average, so their number of fouls in this game should logically be higher against a team that draws more fouls on average.
I hope Raphael Davis reads this. I watched the Big Show and they fell for Chris Collins take on the foul. Davis should have pushed back on Dave Revsine with why there was a foul discrepancy. Davis or Bruce Weber could have said something like, well statistically NU does foul a lot more than Purdue. I’m disappointed in that show as they point out the huge foul discrepancy but not the reasons why and what the teams normally average. Come with you stats when you talk about things like this. I hope you are reading this Weber and Davis. You are better than this.

I've heard coaches say "they can't call every foul" in regard to defending Edey. Well, that's true - but they called most of them last night.

I've heard coaches say "they can't call every foul" in regard to defending Edey. Well, that's true - but they called most of them last night.
When it’s obvious, you have to call them. Btw, on the hook and hold review where the broadcast said it was, the officials did not. Also, on that same play, the official missed another Northwestern player grabbing Edey’s other bicep. I think it was Berry. Two no calls on one play. Nu was not far from their foul average anyway when you disregard their stop the clock fouls at the end, as pointed out earlier.
Instead of whining about fouls, maybe Collins should change his dare the refs call it philosophy and tell his players to adjust the way they are defending. Play more clean. Maybe he’s afraid he can’t win playing that way.

Gard was very happy with him saying that. Plants the seed in the refs minds just before the Wisky game.
I agree. Total setup. Collins was not only trying to screw Purdue against Wisky, but to set his team up against Minnesota and Purdue in chance they meet again in the big ten tourney. Yes, all coaches work the refs, but Collins takes the cake. Everyone is talking about Braden Smith not making the Cousey Top 10 watch list. Well, the rumor is that Collins, along with Fran McCaffery, is going to be on the Bob Knight work the refs Top 10 list that comes out next week.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I agree. Total setup. Collins was not only trying to screw Purdue against Wisky, but to set his team up against Minnesota and Purdue in chance they meet again in the big ten tourney. Yes, all coaches work the refs, but Collins takes the cake. Everyone is talking about Braden Smith not making the Cousey Top 10 watch list. Well, the rumor is that Collins, along with Fran McCaffery, is going to be on the Bob Knight work the refs Top 10 list that comes out next week.
Will be interested to see how NU plays at Minnesota. Teams typically play awful after playing Purdue and NU lost to Chicago St at home after us. Rutgers just shot 1/17 from 3 (not that their a great shooting team to begin with)

Collins said he was going to use all 15 fouls for his 3 bigs, he just wanted to set a narrative.

My fear isn’t the morons on social media who don’t understand math and context. My fear is how to refs try to level things out on Sunday in Madison.

Collins said he was going to use all 15 fouls for his 3 bigs, he just wanted to set a narrative.

My fear isn’t the morons on social media who don’t understand math and context. My fear is how to refs try to level things out on Sunday in Madison.
Well let’s see how we respond. Probably will happen in the tournament one game…remember Texas? We short like 50 FTs in R32 and then nothing called vs Saint Peter’s and we shit the bed.

The game will be on CBS and will therefore be the premier game that day nationally, so at least everyone can see how bad they are IF the refs decide to not call anything, although Wisconsin isn’t as physical as NU. They have a good front court and Hepburn is a very good on ball defender. Hope we come out not flat and ready to go in a tough place to play.

Will be interested to see how NU plays at Minnesota. Teams typically play awful after playing Purdue and NU lost to Chicago St at home after us. Rutgers just shot 1/17 from 3 (not that their a great shooting team to begin with)
Look at Rutgers. Got smoked at home by a not so good Penn State team just after playing Purdue. It’s expected that teams are going to get emotionally hyped and bring their A game against any top 5 or 10 team. That along with the physical load the bigs have to put in against Edey wears them out. A lot of emotional and physical energy gets spent. It’s almost guaranteed that NU won’t play nearly as well against Minnesota, but their team is good enough to maybe pull it out with an average game.

Yes, that is more worrisome as fouls should be called when present.

Well let’s see how we respond. Probably will happen in the tournament one game…remember Texas? We short like 50 FTs in R32 and then nothing called vs Saint Peter’s and we shit the bed.

The game will be on CBS and will therefore be the premier game that day nationally, so at least everyone can see how bad they are IF the refs decide to not call anything, although Wisconsin isn’t as physical as NU. They have a good front court and Hepburn is a very good on ball defender. Hope we come out not flat and ready to go in a tough place to play.
I was thinking about the Texas game. Just like Collins, Chris Beard complained about the foul discrepancy after the game and we know what happened against St Peter’s as you pointed out.

St Peter’s…hmm. Oh the Rock on which Jesus built His church?

To add, CBS will probably not want a game that exceeds the 2 hour window, by all that much. So, not a foul fest. Pebble follows at 3pm.

I was thinking about the Texas game. Just like Collins, Chris Beard complained about the foul discrepancy after the game and we know what happened against St Peter’s as you pointed out.
Yep and we still should have beat St Peter’s but that’s sports for ya. And why we all love them. Upsets happen. Unfortunately, it’s been Purdue a lot of the time…especially with what Paint has built over his time here. Hopefully, we can overcome all of it this year and go far.

Reactions: wferrel
The hook by Jones on the baseline was missed by the refs, and put Collins over the edge. It was an egregious miss by Courtney. Collins, given his predisposition to think he getting hosed, went ballistic; a rare instance where his rage was justified.

How about the play before when Buie TACKLED Braden Smith? How about the phantom foul call on Gillis? How about Buie double dribbling TWICE and not getting called. How about Edey's cylinder not existing the entire game and he probably could have had another 20 fouls called on Northwestern? This freaking narrative that Collins is pushing is total BS and he knows it.

3g5k6.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT