ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Tournament Gonzaga vs. Purdue MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Agreed. Still, Tenn is more talented than Creighton. Gimme Creighton, but it’s not happening. It’s going to be Tennessee.
Yep, going to be tenn...

Really hope we dont give the lane for free to 6'8 kinnect going over screens on him.

Matching up with him is going to be a nightmare, even though I know we did it before

Yep, going to be tenn...

Really hope we dont give the lane for free to 6'8 kinnect going over screens on him.

Matching up with him is going to be a nightmare, even though I know we did it before
Yeah. I feel like Purdue would’ve handled Creighton.

Tennessee, I’m not so sure. I don’t feel great about it. Really did not want to face them, but, hey…we’ll see. Going to need a near-flawless performance from the Boilers to beat Tenn again.

Tennessee, I’m not so sure. I don’t feel great about it. Really did not want to face them, but, hey…we’ll see. Going to need a near-flawless performance from the Boilers to beat Tenn again.
IIRC we got up big on them then in 2 d half they started phantom calling fouls on us and they made it a game.

In this matchup edey can plant in the paint, neither 5 man shoots 3s.

We SHOULD go under screens and make the 5'9 ziegler prove he can hit pull up 3s with hands up and over a screen.

But, the biggest factors again are foul trouble and guarding kinnect. Also turnovers will be a bigger issue to watch for us than these last few games. Tenn is the best defense we face this year(both times) and ziegler is the sec dpoy and puts a ton of pressure on the ball

Yeah, we’re due a loss to them and they have their PG back for the game and Knect hadn’t really got going first time

I guarantee you it won't be flawless. With their physical play and their PG who is a big-time problem for Smith to run his stuff. So there will be TOs. But keep it under 13 and we are usually good. Hope we gut it out for the W & the long awaited FF.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Ive been pretty complimentary and defensive of our guards most of the time this year esp smith who I absolutely adore.

Well your posting history says otherwise.....

All you are saying is that Matt has his reasons and prefers this style. Thank you. I fully understand that. It doesnt make him right.
I have no problem going over screen in general. I do have a problem doing it 100% of the time no matter the spot on the floor and no matter who it id against. That is strait up and objectively not smart. I understand he has his reasons, that doesnt make it the best approach.

You cant tell me this team isnt capable of knowing who to go over and under against and in certain spots. That is what scouting reports are for. This team is filled with intelligent players. Painter is choosing not too. That is hurting us, even if he has his reasons, it is hurting us.

Yes it gives up more 2s and less 3s, but it puts edey in tough spots and can lead to more fouls, most times hes playing it smart and giving easier shots and avoiding the foul. That hurts us though.

Had gonzaga not got in foul trouble in a huge way in the 2nd half, they likely would have continued destroying us with that. Thankfully we are too much of a problem on offense.

Looks like we are getting tennessee, going over the screen giving 6'8 uber athletic 3 level scorer kinnect a full steam lane at edey to the basket is NOT going to increase our chance at winning, even if painter has his reasons.
Yet, despite crappy coaching by Painter, Purdue managed to beat Tennessee already this year, not to mention Gonzaga twice...and Illinois twice...all of this crappy coaching has led Purdue to its most wins in program history and the doorstep of the Final Four. If only Purdue had a better coach...just think of where they could be.

Im the only one correctly calling out the issue with the defense while I see 10 different people blame the players for "insert generic lets play defense" term.

So no, you are categorically false that Im not saying something else from everyone else
You don't say anything new. You complain about the same shit every game all the while telling everyone here that you are the superior intellect. Get over yourself already, Interwebs warrior.

All you are saying is that Matt has his reasons and prefers this style. Thank you. I fully understand that. It doesnt make him right.

I have no problem going over screen in general. I do have a problem doing it 100% of the time no matter the spot on the floor and no matter who it id against. That is strait up and objectively not smart. I understand he has his reasons, that doesnt make it the best approach.

You cant tell me this team isnt capable of knowing who to go over and under against and in certain spots. That is what scouting reports are for. This team is filled with intelligent players. Painter is choosing not too. That is hurting us, even if he has his reasons, it is hurting us.

Yes it gives up more 2s and less 3s, but it puts edey in tough spots and can lead to more fouls, most times hes playing it smart and giving easier shots and avoiding the foul. That hurts us though.

Had gonzaga not got in foul trouble in a huge way in the 2nd half, they likely would have continued destroying us with that. Thankfully we are too much of a problem on offense.

Looks like we are getting tennessee, going over the screen giving 6'8 uber athletic 3 level scorer kinnect a full steam lane at edey to the basket is NOT going to increase our chance at winning, even if painter has his reasons.
you skipped over a bit with why they got in foul trouble and why Zach didn't as well as staying inside the rules of the "team" defense over the long haul. As I said, there are many times I prefer that, but understand the reasoning behind it. I don't scream at others as though I only see one thing. Nor do I try to discredit several coaches on their game plan just because I may disagree with "some" of it.

Purdue spends very little time if any on individual D...it is all about the team defense and shell in general. Because you see something that isn't working, doesn't mean your approach would be better and yet you believe that giving up the 2 is hurting so bad that the three wouldn't be hurting Purdue worse and yet it could. You could be right, but that really isn't the issue that other posters have tried to tell you.

Bottom line, I'm trying to help you know how to deal with fans...many that can share the same concerns, but deal with it differently. As I said, I'm not a policeman of this site. There are things I disagree with at times, but you rarely find me getting so adamant about it. It is your choice to reflect or not reflect, since I'm not going to tell you what to do.

you skipped over a bit with why they got in foul trouble and why Zach didn't as well as staying inside the rules of the "team" defense over the long haul. As I said, there are many times I prefer that, but understand the reasoning behind it. I don't scream at others as though I only see one thing. Nor do I try to discredit several coaches on their game plan just because I may disagree with "some" of it.

Purdue spends very little time if any on individual D...it is all about the team defense and shell in general. Because you see something that isn't working, doesn't mean your approach would be better and yet you believe that giving up the 2 is hurting so bad that the three wouldn't be hurting Purdue worse and yet it could. You could be right, but that really isn't the issue that other posters have tried to tell you.

Bottom line, I'm trying to help you know how to deal with fans...many that can share the same concerns, but deal with it differently. As I said, I'm not a policeman of this site. There are things I disagree with at times, but you rarely find me getting so adamant about it. It is your choice to reflect or not reflect, since I'm not going to tell you what to do.
Great game guys, here's some of my take aways, Zach got going in the 2nd half, TKR got us off to a nice start of 2nd half, Loyer w/ a very efficient game ( that 3 from the top of key was a beauty), wonderful game from Smith( wish he could have gotten to the line at the end to get 15), Lance was really good, and Heide provided a spark. Lappas is pretty brutal as a commentator

Last edited:

Yet, despite crappy coaching by Painter, Purdue managed to beat Tennessee already this year, not to mention Gonzaga twice...and Illinois twice...all of this crappy coaching has led Purdue to its most wins in program history and the doorstep of the Final Four. If only Purdue had a better coach...just think of where they could be.
Another common theme here, making things up that people never said.

I never called Painter a horrible coach. He is one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to building and sustaining a program. But he is not perfect nor is anyone.

He is in fact extremely stubborn. He refuses to change certain aspects. They are non negotiable with him. His defense is one of those things.

But I get it, me questioning him or anything purdue related makes me an outcast, a hater, an iu fan, a fake fan, an idiot, etc. But I would rather be called those things than be a blind homer who sounds more like a cultist like many of you. Bunch of lemmings patting themselves on the back for standing up to the big bad person who doesnt fall in line with proper pom pomming.

I wouldnt trade Painter for any coach right now. I would however LOVE if he would teach zone defense for the times it may benefit us, as well as teach guys to go over screens when the time is right and not at all times.

I cant believe how sacreligious this seems to be. But that is how cults work

I never called Painter a horrible coach. He is one of the best coaches in the country when it comes to building and sustaining a program. But he is not perfect nor is anyone.

He is in fact extremely stubborn. He refuses to change certain aspects. They are non negotiable with him. His defense is one of those things.

But I get it, me questioning him or anything purdue related makes me an outcast, a hater, an iu fan, a fake fan, an idiot, etc. But I would rather be called those things than be a blind homer who sounds more like a cultist like many of you. Bunch of lemmings patting themselves on the back for standing up to the big bad person who doesnt fall in line with proper pom pomming.

I wouldnt trade Painter for any coach right now. I would however LOVE if he would teach zone defense for the times it may benefit us, as well as teach guys to go over screens when the time is right and not at all times.

Then maybe we can agree that you don't need to post any further criticisms when Purdue plays poor defense. After 3-400 posts to that effect, we all know your position. We don't need to be reminded EVER again. Promise. Btw, there are other people on here who do criticize Painter's coaching. They just don't feel the need to be in everybody's face with it. You seem to be trying to draw attention to yourself. In fact, one might call you a troll. I won't. But somebody might.

Last edited:

Again, I'm going to try to help you. you said, "He is in fact extremely stubborn." There are all kinds of examples that he isn't. That comment suggest you know better and are not open to a difference of opinion. The reality is you disagree, not that Matt is stubborn...and there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. Do you really think Matt wouldn't do what you think, if he believed in it? Of course he would and so would lusk and Johnson. Think about what you said about him being stubborn and then hopefully come to an understanding that you disagree...which is fine. I don't think you understand how your comments are taken as much as whether they make sense.

This stubborn thing has had several posts on it. Matt has shown a lot of change and it is not being stubborn, but disagreeing with Matt is where you really are. Being stubborn suggests that not only you are right, but that all the coaches don't want to do what is right even though they know they should and that is crazy. You disagree which is fine, but the comment about stubborn goes even farther into how you believe you know more than all the coaches of which there are many...and that has some probability in it, but maybe not as high as you believe.

• Love
Reactions: Do Dah Day
Yep, going to be tenn...

I don't know Tenn well at all, but thought Kneight was more dangerous behind the arc than in front...not that he can't score in front. If true, expect his defender to go over the top unless the screen is set up to not care of prefer to have a switch. Then you run the risk of him scoring like Schifino did by getting into the lane. Will he pass out of it if he gets a stunt or help from someone if Purdue does go over the top...and again, not knowing their personnel I'm ignorant on how this plays out, but we all know he is a key component.

Such a victim.

Your problem is that you previously provided a list of "actions" by Painter that you said proved he is stubborn. Most of them were completely discredited by readily available data. But you continue to chant it, like some sort of religious belief for you. A one-man cult. And you want to make it about this board? I said it was your problem. And it is.

Such a victim.

Your problem is that you previously provided a list of "actions" by Painter that you said proved he is stubborn. Most of them were completely discredited by readily available data. But you continue to chant it, like some sort of religious belief for you. A one-man cult. And you want to make it about this board? I said it was your problem. And it is.
Doesnt ever play zone. Goes over every screen in every situation. There is no nuance no flexibility.

That DATA shows stubborness.

You use the word data like you provided any at all. It isnt even a debate that painter is set in his ways defensively and never wavers.

Like why is it so hard to simply admit this when it is inarguable? Do you feel smart for being contrarian? Does it bother you that maybe Painter, despite being a great coach and great person, isnt perfect and has room to improve?

You are a cult. You are the very definition of it, and those in one never can see it and think those around them challenging them are the crazy ones.

A cult isnt a 1 man thing lmao. Call me whatever you want but a cult isnt one of the things I am. It takes a group so unwavering in the criticsm and common sense presented to it. You guys fit it to a T.

Doesnt ever play zone. Goes over every screen in every situation. There is no nuance no flexibility.

You use the word data like you provided any at all. It isnt even a debate that painter is set in his ways defensively and never wavers.

Like why is it so hard to simply admit this when it is inarguable? Do you feel smart for being contrarian? Does it bother you that maybe Painter, despite being a great coach and great person, isnt perfect and has room to improve?

You are a cult. You are the very definition of it, and those in one never can see it and think those around them challenging them are the crazy ones.

A cult isnt a 1 man thing lmao. Call me whatever you want but a cult isnt one of the things I am. It takes a group so unwavering in the criticsm and common sense presented to it. You guys fit it to a T.
That data shows he has a defensive philosophy that he believes in. Your constant bitching and moaning shows you disagree with him...and not only disagree with him...but believe you know better than he does how he should coach his team. That's evidence of some crazy arrogance. Beyond that, what on earth do you gain by posting this before, during, and after every game? How does this move the needle in your favor? Nothing you write here is going to change Matt Painter's coaching. So, all you're doing is pissing people off by ranting about the same thing over and over again. Grow the F*** Up! And, Happy Easter everybody!

That data shows he has a defensive philosophy that he believes in. Your constant bitching and moaning shows you disagree with him...and not only disagree with him...but believe you know better than he does how he should coach his team. That's evidence of some crazy arrogance. Beyond that, what on earth do you gain by posting this before, during, and after every game? How does this move the needle in your favor? Nothing you write here is going to change Matt Painter's coaching. So, all you're doing is pissing people off by ranting about the same thing over and over again. Grow the F*** Up! And, Happy Easter everybody!
Perhaps those that thought he was a troll were correct? He obviously doesn't understand all my attempts to help him and I doubt this post helps either. I didn't think understanding the difference in disagreement and being stubborn was pretty easy...as is understanding "data". The nuance of the finer point is also missing or he is just way tooooooooooooo slow to understand. I have never put anyone on ignore, but his ignorance and presentation take a toll on patience and some are totally unreachable due to being slow, or having no desire to learn....

Zone was played twice this year. But why do you want Purdue to play zone so bad?

Zone was played twice this year. But why do you want Purdue to play zone so bad?
if you count Drop you have a lot of games with an element of zone being played (in addition to the man D), but I'm not holding my breath waiting for what kind of zone and who plays where let alone what is the desired hope and the fear consequence.

• Love
Wait, so you said my complaints are countered by readily available data.

Now you say that Painter just prefers his style. No shit sherlock thats the entire issue.

So where is the data you claimed was readily available?

Oh that's right, like most other cultists here, there is none, you have zero substance to the actual discussion and just wanted to join your fellow members in complaining about the complaints while trying to get a quick line in there about data to try to sound like you have a single clue about anything you type.

But per usual, you have ZERO information or data to add other than "painter prefers it".

Wow, I had no idea that the coach that runs the same thing every game every year prefers to do so.

The incredible and advanced and nuanced understanding of the ins and outs of basketball by the cultists never ceases to amaze me. You especially

• Angry
For a posession...

It is great to be able to mix things up on teams. Not every team is the same. Not every team has the same strengths and weaknesses. Mixing things up can throw teams off, it makes you harder to prepare for.

In the very least there are times to mix up how you play the PnR in man to man.

What is the downside to having a diverse ability on defense? Please tell me

Now you say that Painter just prefers his style. No shit sherlock thats the entire issue.

Oh that's right, like most other cultists here, there is none, you have zero substance to the actual discussion and just wanted to join your fellow members in complaining about the complaints while trying to get a quick line in there about data to try to sound like you have a single clue about anything you type.

But per usual, you have ZERO information or data to add other than "painter prefers it".

Wow, I had no idea that the coach that runs the same thing every game every year prefers to do so.

The incredible and advanced and nuanced understanding of the ins and outs of basketball by the cultists never ceases to amaze me. You especially
Ok. Buh-bye.

For a posession...

It is great to be able to mix things up on teams. Not every team is the same. Not every team has the same strengths and weaknesses. Mixing things up can throw teams off, it makes you harder to prepare for.

In the very least there are times to mix up how you play the PnR in man to man.

What is the downside to having a diverse ability on defense? Please tell me
None but zone isn’t an easy defense to always play and hard to rebound out of…which we have a huge advantage in man

Why does anyone respond to the person who legitimately has the name Krazy... LOL... IDK who's more crazy... The moron STILL crying about defense or the people still responding them them...

You said Painter stubbornly continues to play Morton more minutes than other players, when the game you were bitching about was just the opposite. Morton had significantly fewer minutes than both Heide and Colvin. That's recorded data, easily verified. Ignorant is not knowing. Stupid is continuing to repeat something proven wrong. Troll.

You said Painter stubbornly continues to play Morton more minutes than other players, when the game you were bitching about was just the opposite. Morton had significantly fewer minutes than both Heide and Colvin. That's recorded data, easily verified. Ignorant is not knowing. Stupid is continuing to repeat something proven wrong. Troll.
When was thr last time I even typed mortons name. What are you talking about. Go away

When was thr last time I even typed mortons name. What are you talking about. Go away
Hmm. When you appeared on the board with a wild rant about Painter's stubborness after Purdue lost to Wisconsin in the B1G tournament. Mulitiple people pointed out your many errors. You don't remember? As I suspected, you should give up alcohol. Some people are good with it. You are obviously an obnoxious drunk.

Edit: BTW, the people who corrected your statements, you said they were cultists. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: The Boiler Special
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT