ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey draft stock

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Before the tourney, I thought the only way Edey goes to the NBA is if he had an outstanding tournament and led us to a natty. Therefore, improving his stock enough for an NBA guaranteed contract.

His draft stock was trending up. I think he was around 44 on nbadraft.net.

I don't think there's any question Purdue's dreadful 1st Rd exit directly impacted Edey's stock.

He's now dropped down to 54 on nbadraft.net. there are only 58 draft picks in this year's draft due to 2 picks being forfeited.

Obviously nbadraft.net is not the end all be all, but a decent indicator that Edey's stock has gone down.

Imo, Edey comes back.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Before the tourney, I thought the only way Edey goes to the NBA is if he had an outstanding tournament and led us to a natty. Therefore, improving his stock enough for an NBA guaranteed contract.

His draft stock was trending up. I think he was around 44 on nbadraft.net.

I don't think there's any question Purdue's dreadful 1st Rd exit directly impacted Edey's stock.

He's now dropped down to 54 on nbadraft.net. there are only 58 draft picks in this year's draft due to 2 picks being forfeited.

Obviously nbadraft.net is not the end all be all, but a decent indicator that Edey's stock has gone down.

Imo, Edey comes back.

There are other leagues. It's a family decision, and they will do what is right for them. Best of luck to Edey wether it's this year or next.

Sure they have. But usually think they might get drafted, don't, and off they go to another league.
Can you name us some players who left college early for other leagues besides the NBA?

Declaring for NBA early and not getting drafted by the NBA is completely different than leaving early for other leagues.

Can you name us some players who left college early for other leagues besides the NBA?

Declaring for NBA early and not getting drafted by the NBA is completely different than leaving early for other leagues.
Well, Zach will also hope to get drafted by the NBA if he leaves. He just might have a better plan B in place.

Edey’s draft stock is always going to be second round/staying in school won’t make him a first rounder, if anything the year older will hurt. Edey leaving isn’t about draft spots, it’s more about becoming a professional, he’ll play in some league and get paid a lot of money, if he’s paid close to that at Purdue he’ll return, it’s that simple really. I have no clue what he’s making, saw a lot of hockey jerseys being worn at games this year. I hope we see him 1 more year, if not I get it and will look forward to the other options, they’ll be fine as well.

Edey’s draft stock is always going to be second round/staying in school won’t make him a first rounder, if anything the year older will hurt. Edey leaving isn’t about draft spots, it’s more about becoming a professional, he’ll play in some league and get paid a lot of money, if he’s paid close to that at Purdue he’ll return, it’s that simple really. I have no clue what he’s making, saw a lot of hockey jerseys being worn at games this year. I hope we see him 1 more year, if not I get it and will look forward to the other options, they’ll be fine as well.
I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a first rounder. But getting drafted high enough in the 2nd round to receive a guaranteed contract seems like a very realistic goal. He was definitely trending that way before the tournament.

I bet they won't allow him to put up a tent for the evening in the lane in pro ball if it is in Europe, the G-League, China or the NBA.

He has to be a leader which he clearly is not.

I said before the season that he comes back, and I'm sticking to it.

CMP needs to figure his chit out though, needs to look inward and find ways to utilize Zach's skills/traits/advantages but find guard help and change up the D. Can't just be more of the same.

Reactions: Schnelk
I said before the season that he comes back, and I'm sticking to it.

CMP needs to figure his chit out though, needs to look inward and find ways to utilize Zach's skills/traits/advantages but find guard help and change up the D. Can't just be more of the same.
I agree, and I want to believe he will...I hope. We just need those guys to help Zach on the defensive side instead of letting the guards and wings to abuse our guys and leave Zach defending the shooter/driver and the pass. Our guys were a liability on the defensive end against better guard play.

I think he should be allowed to shoot face up jumpers next season. Knock them down from 10-15 feet and make defenders step out to guard him. If he can do that, then there's no more excuse for GMs to pass him over.
That’s exactly why he will come back - he has to have that in his game

If he develops a 3 point shot I think it will

What Edey needs is speed. He ain't got it. He needs to do some double dutch jump roping to improve his lateral quickness along with some leg lifts and toe touches.

140+ kids declared last year including overseas kids & G league kids. 62 of those 140+ were underclassmen.

With only 58 picks available, Obviously some of those kids are thinking nba, some are thinking elsewhere. Only ~42 of the underclassmen were projected to be drafted and were. Thus, there were approximately 20 kids who were leaving and making other calculations regarding their career.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
140+ kids declared last year including overseas kids & G league kids. 62 of those 140+ were underclassmen.

With only 58 picks available, Obviously some of those kids are thinking nba, some are thinking elsewhere. Only ~42 of the underclassmen were projected to be drafted and were. Thus, there were approximately 20 kids who were leaving and making other calculations regarding their career.
Interesting. The ~20 kids stayed in the draft, or they simply declared for the draft?

UPDATE: answered my own question. Quick count shows 22 underclassman stayed in the draft and went undrafted...provided the website i was looking at is accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck

I haven't looked at last year, but I studied the prior three years and the average number of draftees older than a soph were four each year. I'm not sure how old Zach is, but they prefer younger players with more future years in them

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I haven't looked at last year, but I studied the prior three years and the average number of draftees older than a soph were four each year. I'm not sure how old Zach is, but they prefer younger players with more future years in them
That's certainly my understanding as well. Wondering though if Zach would be viewed a bit differently since he's only been playing ball for a few years and has displayed exponential growth as a player. Also, bigs usually need time to physical develop as well.

Plus Edey has the draw of untapped potential they like, since he has not played that long. Only takes 1 team that wants him.

But haven't seen any projections with him as anything but the bottom of R2. Most don't have him drafted, did not see any today with him drafted.

Things might change after evals. But I doubt it.

I expect him back, but maybe he develops international plans, and chooses those?

I don’t really think that there is much he can do offensively to move up the draft board. Teams will be happy with his ability to score and rebound on that end where he has an advantage, even at the highest level.

What is holding him back is defense. Painter does a nice job playing to his strengths, but there will be no place to hide his lack of quickness at the NBA level. Too bad for him that it isn’t 1983.

I don’t really think that there is much he can do offensively to move up the draft board. Teams will be happy with his ability to score and rebound on that end where he has an advantage, even at the highest level.

What is holding him back is defense. Painter does a nice job playing to his strengths, but there will be no place to hide his lack of quickness at the NBA level. Too bad for him that it isn’t 1983.
Zach improved his quickness this last year, but he isn't quick. ;) If he returns, I hope Matt quits doubling the post all the time. No data, but suspect that doubling the post is the first or second most costly D Purdue does. Part of Matt doubling is that it protects his 5 that he depends on for offense, but now you are in rotations and giving up easier drives and shots. I would like to see Matt let him early, especially play straight up...learn...make mistakes and grow while still winning.

You don't really want him out at the arc, but can he play straight up at 18 or so? Purdue used him to contest guards and yet recover on his man by putting him in drop coverage which sometimes was fine and other times not. The dilemma is whether Zach doesn't have to be in drop...which I don't now. I do know that if you provide space, a player can get going downhill and make it tough to contain whereas if you are close enough the speed isn't there and just a question if the offensive player can sell a foul or not....or hook Zach to get around. Whatever happens with Zach...I would love to see some different play, if possible rather than just subbing for Zach if he stays and if not...different usage of the Trey/Caleb/Berg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT