ADVERTISEMENT

Youngstown State v. Purdue Game Thread

I could not see the game. How did the twin towers do? Against the zone, did they have AH up high feeding Hass or did each take a down low position?

On D, did AJ have the footwork to keep up with the PF?

What was the score when they entered and what after? Did they use the lineup again?

We hung out at Mackey after the game for Kids Club activities. Even though he looked like he took a left hook from Tyson (eye swollen shut and 7-8 stiches underneath) PJ was in concourse for over an hour signing autographs. He actually pulled a chair over to take seat, he had so many kids in line.

Reactions: ahhculdee
We hung out at Mackey after the game for Kids Club activities. Even though he looked like he took a left hook from Tyson (eye swollen shut and 7-8 stiches underneath) PJ was in concourse for over an hour signing autographs. He actually pulled a chair over to take seat, he had so many kids in line.
Wow thats really cool to know. Thanks for sharing. Good to hear about the next generation of boiler fans being cultivated!

Yeah.....the other "Twin" Towers were Bowie and Mel Turpin at Kentucky.....maybe that was what tripped him up.
I may have the years mixed a little, but before Bowie and Turpin, Tom Davis at Iowa played 2 guys named Payne and Stokes. Both were around 6-10, 6-11. That was the first time I heard of Twin Towers. Iowa was very good with them, but always choked.

I may have the years mixed a little, but before Bowie and Turpin, Tom Davis at Iowa played 2 guys named Payne and Stokes. Both were around 6-10, 6-11. That was the first time I heard of Twin Towers. Iowa was very good with them, but always choked.

P4S,

Think they were around the same time.....early 80's and played for Lute Olson and George Raveling before Davis' tenure. Definitely tough to deal with.....had some limited success, but I think they just didn't have enough consistency in either the front-court or back-court to make it really far. When playing well......could give anybody a lot of trouble IIRC.

P4S,

Think they were around the same time.....early 80's and played for Lute Olson and George Raveling before Davis' tenure. Definitely tough to deal with.....had some limited success, but I think they just didn't have enough consistency in either the front-court or back-court to make it really far. When playing well......could give anybody a lot of trouble IIRC.
That's right. It was Lute Olsen. Good catch. I remember in a game at Mackey when Russell Cross dominated them.

The first twin towers I saw was Chamberlain and Thurmond, which were probably the best. However, no one replied to my above questions about how H&H Block did. Please do, if you saw them.

I would claim it was not impressive, but to also be fair, for some reason we did not pass to them when they were in together. I like the lineup in certain situations, but i also love having fresh 7-footers to throw at a team constantly. Actually brings me tears of joy.

The first twin towers I saw was Chamberlain and Thurmond, which were probably the best. However, no one replied to my above questions about how H&H Block did. Please do, if you saw them.

Reactions: toddbrewster

Wow....a Nate Thurmond reference......definitely an under-appreciated great center......saw him at the end of his career backing up Jim Chones on some really good Cavs teams. Yes, there was basketball in Cleveland before LeBron James.

As to the H & H show....it was short-lived. Just a few minutes and nothing really note-worthy. One problem I saw was that I Haas got stuck late on a rotation, and there was a wide open three.....I think that is when CMP decided to pull the plug; plus CS was having a really good game. Obviously now that CMP finally "gave in," we may see it again.

The crowd was giving CS a great ovation when he left the game.....but I think everybody was also jacked up to see it. The announcers even made a big deal about it on the telecast.

Reactions: toddbrewster
I'm not in favor of them playing together, but we had two offensive possessions with them both in the game and both times we jacked up 3's without even trying to feed the post. I don't think we will see much of it anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT