ADVERTISEMENT

Yale Message Board (Selected Excerpts)

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
It appears that Yale fans don't post a lot on Basketball Message Boards. I debated not posting these excerpts at all since there was so little to choose from. However, I was impressed with the difference between the quality and literacy of the observations that were made by the Yale board posters compared to that of other fan bases and thought that made the effort worthwhile. The most succinct observation I came across in the whole lot is that "Ivey destroyed the Ivy League!"

Lots of offensive weapons and tons of size. Great from three. If Yale can keep them off the boards and disrupt them from three they’ll have a shot. But this is a tough matchup.

FanDuel has Purdue as a 16-point favorite. I think that strikes me as reasonable. The Bigs are going to be hard for Yale to guard, and they're going to have to find offense from somewhere. Anything can happen in March, but this is a real toughie.

Bulldogs get a 14 seed but have to play a very, very, good Purdue team in Milwaukee. I don't like this match-up for Yale; even though Purdue plays (relatively) mediocre defense, they have two massive centers, and that's not good for an undersized Yale squad. Still, hope springs eternal and anything can happen in March.

Yale’s physical defense is unlikely to faze a team from the rugged Big Ten. But if the Eli move the ball and Swain goes off, they could stay in it.

Swain has to run around off the ball to get open looks and Gabbidon has to appear as his unguardable version as well. That keeps the game from getting away from Yale but I fear those who take Purdue and give the points will be rewarded. tough matchup.

Agreed, but Swain can do it for Yale if it can keep it close. We've seen teams like Purdue come in overconfident when getting an Ivy.

Purdue has seen multiple players in Big 10 play more prolific than Swain, all the while scoring at a high rate against much better defenses. And Yale has no plan B for creating shots. It's going be a problem.

Where I think sometimes a Purdue runs into a problem with a guy like Swain (or Dingle) is that they just think they have the athletes to defend an Ivy scorer and just put their best perimeter defender on an island with them. And putting anyone on an island with Swain is a bad idea. Makai Mason went off for Yale in the tournament a while back in part because of that approach against him.

I am surprised Purdue is rated so inefficient on defensive end but that could reflect tough conference bc when I watched they were unstoppable on O at least. But I think this is an impossible matchup if Purdue shoots its percentages. Ivey is all world and Goliath has great touch and is a mountain. Pressure is on perimeter shooting and to some extent the young Bigs I would think as they will need fouls and activity in the paint to battle on the boards.

We're dancing....it's House Money!

Judging from the press conferences, Purdue won’t be overlooking Yale. They’ve been watching the video of their upset loss to North Texas since last summer.

Good luck anyway--no one thought St Peter's had a chance.

Hope springs eternal! Saint Peter's is a worse team than Yale who beat a better team than Purdue - it's always possible. I agree with James, though; gotta hit shots.

..and, like Kentucky, hope Purdue misses a lot of 3s!

Last night I watched highlights of Edey and Williams and some of the Seton Hall-Yale replay. Yikes. I am not sure how to body this guy. He’s so athletic for his size he throws big 10 bodies around. Williams is a chance of pace but equally scary. Hope the kids hit some shots!

It’s the mix with Ivey that is brutal. The big 3 play well off each other though usually 2 in the game at once. The hope is that the matchups at other 3 spots go better O to D.

Ivey is hurting Yale more than the big fella so far.

Hanging in there--withstood the big run. Like where things are right now.

Right now only Kelly with 2 fouls. Bigs need to stay out of foul trouble to have a shot later in the game.

Disappointing at the half. Been a tough year for Ivy schools in general against better competition.

Purdue just too big, strong and quick. Hate to see Yale go down 20 on some bad turnovers and poor shot selections.

Yes, early optimism trampled. Back to the Ivy drawing board.

Yale getting some decent looks but nothing going in.

Bad matchup. Flaws on strengths and out too much pressure on shot making. Not Yale's strength and not getting much separation with lane off limits.

About what I expected. Would’ve thought we’d shoot better but there was 0 separation in 2md half and we couldn’t throw it in ocean after cutting to 9. Then they took foot off gas, and we looked gassed. Decent defense though as expected

Yeah, whaddaya gonna do? Ivey showed why he's a projected top-5 pick, and the big guys got whatever they wanted, as expected of two ~7 footers who weigh three bills. Shame this was the draw - Yale would've had a much better chance against Providence or Wisconsin, but them's the breaks. The future looks bright, though - good team defense, and Jarvis and Knowling showed some good flashes.

Agree. We had flaws. They were exposed. We needed a lot to go our way. It didn’t. My God, did they get some free throws. And didn’t miss much. Defense was good when not called for a foul. Jarvis will be good if healthy.

Although in a sane world, the regular season champion should have been there. Princeton would not have done any better; nightmare Ivey match up.

Gabiddon summed it up. he had a tough one. Air mailed some 3s and had to guard a lightning quick guy who was hitting early from 30.

You might say, Ivey destroyed the Ivy League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News