ADVERTISEMENT

Women's BB Recruiting?

Sep 2, 2001
I have recently met our Purdue Women's BB coach and she was a great player for Purdue years ago. Her desire to win at Purdue was obvious to me. I do not intend this post to be any criticism of her coaching ability. IU Women's BB coach has and is still recruiting some of the best women players in the nation. Does anybody feel Purdue will ever recruit those type of players they used to recruit several years ago? In 1999, Purdue Ladies were National Champs and in 2001 we were Runners Up National Champs. BOILER UP!

I have recently met our Purdue Women's BB coach and she was a great player for Purdue years ago. Her desire to win at Purdue was obvious to me. I do not intend this post to be any criticism of her coaching ability. IU Women's BB coach has and is still recruiting some of the best women players in the nation. Does anybody feel Purdue will ever recruit those type of players they used to recruit several years ago? In 1999, Purdue Ladies were National Champs and in 2001 we were Runners Up National Champs. BOILER UP!
There have been many (both) angry and supportive posts about this situation. The lines are pretty clearly drawn wiith a few of us in the middle ground. Most of us agree, however, that Coach KG needs to show some success in the next year or two to attract high-end recruits.

Coach Moren has built a nice program at IU. But she hasn't really got any 5 star recruits. She got lucky and struck gold 4 or 5 years ago with two top 50ish recruits in Grace Berger and MacKenzie Holmes and built her program around them. The only top 10 type recruit on the team is Sydney Parrish and she transferred in from Oregon and was way over ranked.

Coach Bluder at Iowa had a nice run the last few years. But she got lucky and got the best player in the world to stay home and play for her. On top of that, she struck gold with a three star recruit out of Illinois in Kate Martin.

Coach Gearlds needs to stick to the plan and keep stacking good class on top of good class. Hopefully she gets lucky and one of these top 50ish or 60ish recruits turn to gold and uplifts the whole program. Maybe that player is already on the team or maybe that player is coming in next year in Avery Gordon....maybe not.

Recruiting is really a crapshoot. Other than the top 5 or 10 players. Nobody knows which players will become stars and which will not.

The first step in the process to competing for players with the big dogs is getting back to being a top 20 program. You are not going to convince an Ashlynn Shade or Ayanna Patterson to turn down UCONN and stay home. When you are struggling to be a .500 team every year like Purdue has for the last decade or more.

I think Coach Gearlds can do it. But I could very well turn out to be wrong. Nobody really knows until it all plays out. I just prefer to stay positive than to look for things to bitch about constantly.

Reactions: Gesysp and crless
So far, Katie Gearlds as a coach has been a very mixed bag. She was better her first two years than the end of the Versyp era, but last year was a big backslide. Purdue has still been losing top talent to the portal, hence this year relying on underclassmen and transfers hoping to finish at our above .500. If this year and next are both losing seasons, or barely above .500 it becomes increasingly difficult for the coaches to convince the better recruits that KG knows how to turn the program into a winner. Three is talent in the underclassmen, but do we have the coaches to optimize it and make them successful quickly? No one knows.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT