ADVERTISEMENT

winning it in paradise

ddmills333

True Freshman
Nov 10, 2009
I got a hunch we win this thing. (And I'll go out on a limb and say we'll make the final four and put ourselves in a good place to play for the NT)

These 4 seniors have been told for 4 years that they're not good enough, not talked about on a national level, and always underrated and they look like they're out to prove to the nation what being a Boilermakers is all about.

These guys are hungry.

I'm going with

Purdue 87
Tenn 69

Purdue 84
Nova 77

Purdue 90
Zona 77

Boiler up!

I got a hunch we win this thing. (And I'll go out on a limb and say we'll make the final four and put ourselves in a good place to play for the NT)

These 4 seniors have been told for 4 years that they're not good enough, not talked about on a national level, and always underrated and they look like they're out to prove to the nation what being a Boilermakers is all about.

These guys are hungry.

I'm going with

Purdue 87
Tenn 69

Purdue 84
Nova 77

Purdue 90
Zona 77

Boiler up!
I know nothing about the depth of the other teams, but it usually comes into play in these situations. I feel really good about our ability to compete and I know our guys do to.
Bring it ...

The Battle for Atlantis is going to be just that, a battle. I'm sure the Boilers remember last year'year's loss to Villanova and want to revenge it. If we can get to Zona, I think the fatigue factor comes in to play. All that preparation from the WUG is going to pay off. We will see. I like our chances!

We comin' for ya............
evil_train__________by_san666-d7r3wqy.jpg

I would've liked the post if it didn't have us winning by so much against the top 2 teams in the ratings. There's a difference between confidence and drunken ramblings.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I do believe our experience and depth will help us a lot both in this tourney and beyond. I also believe we have a chance to win the thing. But even beating Nova will be huge moving forward, but not at all easy.

I agree. Our biggest weakness is what do we do when Haas is getting destroyed on the perimeter by a team that has shooters in all 5 positions. It comes down to how well Taylor and Haarms play defense good enough on the perimeter, but also don't lose their interior defense. And on the flip side, who would take over scoring on the interior if we have to sit Haas because of liability issues defensively for most of the game.

If we can overcome that aspect against primarily a team like Nova, we can beat anyone in the country consistently

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I agree. Our biggest weakness is what do we do when Haas is getting destroyed on the perimeter by a team that has shooters in all 5 positions. It comes down to how well Taylor and Haarms play defense good enough on the perimeter, but also don't lose their interior defense. And on the flip side, who would take over scoring on the interior if we have to sit Haas because of liability issues defensively for most of the game.

If we can overcome that aspect against primarily a team like Nova, we can beat anyone in the country consistently

Easy...sub in Haarms or Taylor. You can also switch Haas out to the poorest outside shooter and switch all screens save for Haas’ man. It allows Haas to remain near the hoop while allowing the other four players to remain in good positions to defend at an optimal level.

Let’s not get too far ahead of our selves. Both Tenn and Zona are very good teams. They won’t allow us to do what we have done against these lesser teams. Our team has similar skills but those are limited. There are teams like Arizona that will map out more athletic than Purdue.

We need to be both lucky and good to win at Atlantis. We need to shoot well, take care of the ball, and be lucky.

I do agree that these guys have a poise and confidence that we haven't seen in a Purdue team for awhile. They look the part and believe they are better than the other team when they take the court. I think it will be a special season.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Would be HUGE.
Probably worth a couple seeds come selection Sunday.

I can already see the moaning, groaning, complaining, etc. if we don't win it now. I like this team - but we play some stiff competition in a weird environment. I do hope we win and have a shot at Villanova, but I think back to the Maui tournament a couple years ago - we lost in the first round disappointingly, but the rest of that tournament was such a great learning experience for the team and they really had to grind out that final game - and that team ended up as a "grind it out" team.

Regardless of the outcome, you want this to be a good experience for the team that presents challenges and learning opportunities. If it happens to be while winning it all, that's cool too!

Easy...sub in Haarms or Taylor. You can also switch Haas out to the poorest outside shooter and switch all screens save for Haas’ man. It allows Haas to remain near the hoop while allowing the other four players to remain in good positions to defend at an optimal level.

I get that, but teams know Haas is too slow on the perimeter, so a good coach with good shooters in EVERY POSITION, will exploit that. The only 2 ways around it with Haas staying in the game for his normal duration are if:

1. Haas dominates offensively, getting them in foul trouble/scoring easy buckets around the rim.

2. Their shooters have an off night shooting fairly wide open 3s.

Otherwise, the film shows how to neutralize Haas' size is by having a 4 and 5 who can shoot 3s, and making Haas a perimeter defender. That's when Haarms and Taylor come into play, if it gets to that point, which I believe many teams will try (if personnel allows) to do that.

I'm not going into panic, just saying that's the blueprint against Haas.

I get that, but teams know Haas is too slow on the perimeter, so a good coach with good shooters in EVERY POSITION, will exploit that. The only 2 ways around it with Haas staying in the game for his normal duration are if:

1. Haas dominates offensively, getting them in foul trouble/scoring easy buckets around the rim.

Otherwise, the film shows how to neutralize Haas' size is by having a 4 and 5 who can shoot 3s, and making Haas a perimeter defender. That's when Haarms and Taylor come into play, if it gets to that point, which I believe many teams will try (if personnel allows) to do that.

Show us that film. Pretty much every game is on youtube. Post a link so I can see you're not just the typical lame guy on here hating on Isaac for no reason.

you hope Purdue and Haas are able to get the ball in low and punish their 5 that plays on the perimeter with a few fouls...a few bruises and a couple of broken bones... ;)

The number of NCAA teams that have a 5 that can shoot 3-pt shots reliably is a pretty small number. Like near zero. I guarantee we would out rebound that team, if their 5 is sitting out there on the 3-pt line. Now you could get Haas in foul trouble with dribble drivers. Maybe that is the way to attempt it.

And again it goes down to matching up players so not to put Haas in a bad situation. If Haas were playing against Purdue with a Haarms starting in his spot, he would obviously be in trouble...but how many teams can put the high quality of four shooters coupled with two dribble-drive players, and one elite mid ranger shooter (Mathias)? That would be almost none in the country...there may not be a team in the country that could effectively do what you are saying for an exTended amount of time and be effective at it besides Purdue itself.

If you do in fact have a team that does just that...Haas will either punish that team on the offensive side with easy buckets or racking up fouls immediately or Haarms will sub in at the times the opposition makes an attempt to do so.

What it comes down to is CMP making good adjustments and good game plans for when that occurs...and something new I have noticed is an assistant coach making the adjustments for who guards who in game as the personnel changes (he holds a white board).

Reactions: dwhitebash11
I think we win it too. We are in mid-season form while many teams are still in pre-season form. It's March I am worried about, younger teams would have had time to gel better by then.

I think we win it too. We are in mid-season form while many teams are still in pre-season form. It's March I am worried about, younger teams would have had time to gel better by then.
I'm not going to say we win it - like Math says, need to perform and have some luck for that. BUT I do NOT expect a heartbreaking collapse loss after leading all game like we've seen at times in the past. It probably will happen sometime this year, but with our seniors and what they've seen in their careers, those letdowns should be rare indeed if my hunch is right. TC's right - let's beat Tenn first! Boiler Up!

Reactions: mathboy
Show us that film. Pretty much every game is on youtube. Post a link so I can see you're not just the typical lame guy on here hating on Isaac for no reason.

Been on this board a long time to have my loyalty questioned. Besides, that's a pretty ballsy statement coming from someone who just joined 5 months ago, sweetie.

The number of NCAA teams that have a 5 that can shoot 3-pt shots reliably is a pretty small number. Like near zero. I guarantee we would out rebound that team, if their 5 is sitting out there on the 3-pt line. Now you could get Haas in foul trouble with dribble drivers. Maybe that is the way to attempt it.

Yes, but the dribble drive is ineffective if that player can't shoot. Otherwise you sag off him, knowing he's going to drive. But I think you'd be surprised how many teams have someone who can shoot the 3 ball at their 5. Those teams will be very good teams, teams that we may see shortly, or in the big dance.

If we can go even 2 and 1 there, that would speak volumes for expectations this season. 1 and 2 would send this forum in to a spiral but even then the reality is we probably lost to two very good teams.

All of this will prepare us for the tourney and is how successful tourney runs are created. Take you lumps now and learn from them to prepare for March.

Tennessee hopes to play full-court press against us and others this year. I like to think we'll be okay...

https://247sports.com/college/tenne...-locked-in-to-94-feet-of-24-defense-110780422
They have a hard time pressing when they are not scoring and they have a hard time scoring if Purdue is getting the ball deep and playing inside like they are capable. Carsen makes some presses ineffective just in case they score once in a while. If Purdue can't be effective inside, shoot the 3 ball as a result so-so and Tenn scores...if the stars are all aligned and they effectively take Haas out and wear down Haarms and Taylor...then maybe we get a definite answer on Wheeler, but Purdue has one 5 and two 4&5s...

Whoa...just started reading and it said man press. Unless they run and jump out of it, Purdue will not have an issue with man press...except for potential fatigue due to shorter bench (and/or eating clock)...but more likely due to ill advised shots that end up being misses that are not rebounded as a result. Vince, Dakota, PJ and Carsen should NOT have an issue with a straight up man press. Who is big enough to guard Vince inside and take the ball away from him bringing it up the court as Purdue clears out a bit to prevent double teams against a man press? Now, I'll read more in the link... ;)

Last edited:

Well I’m sure Wiscy will have some random stuff hit 6-7 threes against us. It’s like death and taxes

These guys are hungry.

I'm going with

Purdue 87
Tenn 69

Purdue 84
Nova 77

Purdue 90
Zona 77

Boiler up!
Brutal schedule... 1-2 wouldn't surprise me, but I hope you're right.

They have a hard time pressing when they are not scoring and they have a hard time scoring if Purdue is getting the ball deep and playing inside like they are capable. Carsen makes some presses ineffective just in case they score once in a while. If Purdue can't be effective inside, shoot the 3 ball as a result so-so and Tenn scores...if the stars are all aligned and they effectively take Haas out and wear down Haarms and Taylor...then maybe we get a definite answer on Wheeler, but Purdue has one 5 and two 4&5s...

Whoa...just started reading and it said man press. Unless they run and jump out of it, Purdue will not have an issue with man press...except for potential fatigue due to shorter bench...but more likely due to ill advised shots that end up being misses that are not rebounded as a result. Vince, Dakota, PJ and Carsen should NOT have an issue with a straight up man press. Who is big enough to guard Vince inside and take the ball away from him bringing it up the court as Purdue clears out a bit to prevent double teams against a man press? Now, I'll read more in the link... ;)
So, this is hard to get in at work, but here is a link on Rick's 24 press. Real quick in the first few seconds it appears to put players into a 1-2-2 (zone press)...I'm guessing this is just a look, but that they play more man and then double out of it. However, in the example he quickly shows a 5 at half court on O and Purdue will NOT do that. That center could be a Vince, a Dakota or a Carsen. If Matt chooses to use Dakota and PJ as the back two and Carsen to actually break the press with his speed by getting the ball at half court then we have Vince and Haas heading to the blocks with Carsen blowing by people. Dakota will have to be tune into the speed of the defense and PJ...remember you cannot go over the top.

This is a tale of contrast...and a reasonable defense against Haas who needs to be down low and not just running between FT lines behind all the action. Seniors should keep the cool...

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerGal74
So, this is hard to get in at work, but here is a link on Rick's 24 press. Real quick in the first few seconds it appears to put players into a 1-2-2 (zone press)...I'm guessing this is just a look, but that they play more man and then double out of it. However, in the example he quickly shows a 5 at half court on O and Purdue will NOT do that. That center could be a Vince, a Dakota or a Carsen. If Matt chooses to use Dakota and PJ as the back two and Carsen to actually break the press with his speed by getting the ball at half court then we have Vince and Haas heading to the blocks with Carsen blowing by people. Dakota will have to be tune into the speed of the defense and PJ...remember you cannot go over the top.

This is a tale of contrast...and a reasonable defense against Haas who needs to be down low and not just running between FT lines behind all the action. Seniors should keep the cool...

I did like in the example he put the O in a 2-1-2 type set and that is the set I would want against a 1-2-2 half court zone...balanced...even front against an odd front and others in a gap. Purdue could do more of a 1-2-1-1 or 3-2 appearance on O depending on whether a any type of reversal is sought as their point man sags to the center. THIS would probably be a game that
wheeler would excel and if there O is strictly a function of their D...Ewing might be able to score against as well.

This should be an interesting contrast of styles and personnel to see WHO executes...

I did like in the example he put the O in a 2-1-2 type set and that is the set I would want against a 1-2-2 half court zone...balanced...even front against an odd front and others in a gap. Purdue could do more of a 1-2-1-1 or 3-2 appearance on O depending on whether a any type of reversal is sought as their point man sags to the center. THIS would probably be a game that
wheeler would excel and if there O is strictly a function of their D...Ewing might be able to score against as well.

This should be an interesting contrast of styles and personnel to see WHO executes...
A quick click on players linked in the article and found 6', 6',6'1", 6'5" and 6'7"...my guess VERY quick and very athletic. Need great decisions on when to attack and when to play in the half court and play smash mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT