• Yes

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020

The premise of this is simple. I think Purdue fans in particular, have a habit of viewing imperfections about Purdue and saying “oh these opponents are all scary.”

Here.. (I’ll do one thread on each opponent), you get to see our opponents imperfections before answering. I can tell you, I’ve watched the entire big ten west save Minnesota and our non conference .. and so far, only Iowa hasn’t left me saying “man if some of this was true about Purdue, I’d be biting my finger nails”

So far, having watched every cover 3 summer school outside Indiana, Ohio state, Michigan and Minnesota, I’d have Purdue at 5-1 with Wisconsin being a swing…

I’ve watched the entire big ten west save Minnesota and our non conference .. and so far, only Iowa hasn’t left me saying “man if some of this was true about Purdue, I’d be biting my finger nails”
running it back with Lil Ferentz wouldn't make you bite your nails as an Iowa fan?

Their QB1 this year, Logan Fife, was 8/15 - 157 - 0TD and 2Int vs UCONN last year, and lost 19-14. That was UCONN.

I am confident Walters can shut him down. We win if we can score 21 on offense.

Their QB1 this year, Logan Fife, was 8/15 - 157 - 0TD and 2Int vs UCONN last year, and lost 19-14. That was UCONN.

I am confident Walters can shut him down. We win if we can score 21 on offense.
Watch the video … he likely will be beat out by UCF transfer

I didn’t think he was earth shattering. He held his own in a 1 point loss to alabama on an 8-5 team
Overall, Card is a completely different QB than we have had here in a long long while. I think the ability to make plays with his feet will serve us well.

If he does not progress in the pass game he’ll be on some shit lists of fans early and often though. I don’t like the air raid system at all and actually don’t think it works to our strong suits…but it might help to cover up the lack of top end talent in the WR corps.

I have is penciled in at 6-6 in regular season this year. I think we have a whole bunch of wins early and then come back to earth in the conference slate. 6-4 vs the not top 5 seems fine in a coaches first year but I worry about the offense overall holding this team back and Mockobee not getting the touches he deserves.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Overall, Card is a completely different QB than we have had here in a long long while. I think the ability to make plays with his feet will serve us well.

If he does not progress in the pass game he’ll be on some shit lists of fans early and often though. I don’t like the air raid system at all and actually don’t think it works to our strong suits…but it might help to cover up the lack of top end talent in the WR corps.

I have is penciled in at 6-6 in regular season this year. I think we have a whole bunch of wins early and then come back to earth in the conference slate. 6-4 vs the not top 5 seems fine in a coaches first year but I worry about the offense overall holding this team back and Mockobee not getting the touches he deserves.
He was 14-22 for 158 yards and lost a 1 point game against alabama. This with a team that was only 6-4 with Ewers at QB.

Passing against the best of the big ten will be much easier than alabama. And again .. if he had that line QBing Georgia’s offense then it’s like woof.. but he had a team much more like Purdue than Georgia and kept them in the game against alabama. This is important when you consider that David blough and the 2018 offense basically didn’t function against auburn.

Why don’t you like the air raid? I don’t claim to be an expert on it but I’ll look it up on YouTube now

I have is penciled in at 6-6 in regular season this year. I think we have a whole bunch of wins early and then come back to earth in the conference slate. 6-4 vs the not top 5 seems fine in a coaches first year but I worry about the offense overall holding this team back and w Cc. Mockobee not getting the touches he deserves.
Okay I brushed up. USC and West Virginia have great histories as running football teams. I don’t think you run the air raid there. Particularly at USC. WVU fans complained more about Neal than Harrell.

You need a QB who can make throws, three good receivers, a good center and a back who can catch the ball. We have those. Sarkisian runs RPO. I don’t know that failing to be drew Brees in that system tells me that a high school air raid guy can’t pass in the air raid

31-14 Boilers.
I think Card knows he's going to have to make things happen with his feet. His OL could be a big question mark, so he'll likely be scrambling...a lot. Getting 6-8 yards scrambling on 3rd and long will be something we haven't had before (Blough scrambled but wasn't known for it).
Interested to see what Mock can do now that everyone will know who he is.

31-14 Boilers.
I think Card knows he's going to have to make things happen with his feet. His OL could be a big question mark, so he'll likely be scrambling...a lot. Getting 6-8 yards scrambling on 3rd and long will be something we haven't had before (Blough scrambled but wasn't known for it).
Interested to see what Mock can do now that everyone will know who he is.
Let's hope with OSU,MU and Whiskey on the schedule,we can keep him in one piece.....

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Fresno St. lost two 1000 yrd receivers, one 1400 yrd back and their starting QB that knew their offensive system very well and took good care of the ball.

Purdue wins!
They got a good transfer QB and their defense has a lot returning. They claim it will be their best defense ever

Reactions: Bippus33
I think you’re gonna see a lot of Tracy
Agree. But don’t love it. He runs lazy. No burst. Downing is the 2nd best back on the team IMO…for better or worse.

I think Sheffield takes the step forward we’ve wanted but unless Yaseen takes a huge step forward we really lack the home run hitter that we have needed. I do like the kid we got from FAU, but he’s no Charlie Jones waiting to break out. If Mock isn’t a 1000/1000 guy I think we are truly in trouble. If we use him like we should…truly think the sky is the limit. Likely don’t beat both OSU and Michigan but if we utilize the run and pass game well and the defense plays as well as at least the Illinois D did in its first year under Waters (and I think we are more talented) we could win 10.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Agree. But don’t love it. He runs lazy. No burst. Downing is the 2nd best back on the team IMO…for better or worse.

I think Sheffield takes the step forward we’ve wanted but unless Yaseen takes a huge step forward we really lack the home run hitter that we have needed. I do like the kid we got from FAU, but he’s no Charlie Jones waiting to break out. If Mock isn’t a 1000/1000 guy I think we are truly in trouble. If we use him like we should…truly think the sky is the limit. Likely don’t beat both OSU and Michigan but if we utilize the run and pass game well and the defense plays as well as at least the Illinois D did in its first year under Waters (and I think we are more talented) we could win 10.
To be fair no one thought Jones was that either. I liked Jones and thought he’d get 700 yards receiving …

I think a lot of these guys are gonna be different under Walters. Or Walters is going to move guys ahead of them.

Downing just has no burst. You can’t coach that. BUT I’m gonna give all these guys a chance to show what they can do

I wouldn't be surprised to see Christian Womack be a solid contributor, at some point this season. His highlight videos are the most impressive to me, since Mockabee's.

To be fair no one thought Jones was that either. I liked Jones and thought he’d get 700 yards receiving …

I think a lot of these guys are gonna be different under Walters. Or Walters is going to move guys ahead of them.

Downing just has no burst. You can’t coach that. BUT I’m gonna give all these guys a chance to show what they can do

I agree. Downing is slow getting to the line. He's a straight ahead runner that doesn't have much vision. Last season I saw him run directly into the back of our linemen several times. If you want a fullback who can move a pile, he might be your guy. As an every down runner, not so much. I think Tracy will get more carries than him...

Kind of forgot about Womack. Almost criminally under recruited based on his stats playing in houston suburb.
I think back to Scott skiles, with eddy curry and Tyson chandler. Curry could back people down but it was clear he had no fundamental background in the game. Chandler was a very athletic defender but was Rail thin and had no offensive game. They couldn’t be paired together because nba teams could just ruin the pair.

Before Curry had heart issues that held him out before a trade to New York skiles did a hell of a job coaching. He paired curry with Antonio Davis, who brought everything eddy didn’t. Davis and chandler were hell for other teams on the boards. When they needed offense with chandler they played Othella Harrington.

Instead of saying “I can’t” skiles asked the question “how can I”

When curry has his heart episode the bulls had been on a hell of a run that evening included a nice win against the lakers in which curry had a terrific offensive game against Shaq.

All this to say .. if Walters isn’t getting what he needs in scenarios like “how will I get what I need when it’s time to take the foot off the gas on mockobee” he seems like the kind of guy who will ask “how can I make it work with a player like womack…” If indeed he might be able to help Purdue… instead of just insistent he can’t”

If mershawn rice doesn’t have burst outside and isn’t getting open, I don’t think Walters will take a moronic stance like “well, we have two good slot receivers.. let’s just pretend TJ Sheffield is an outside receiver”.. instead he seems like the type who will find a good option

agree on Tracy. Looks the part, but lacks explosiveness or a second gear.

Worse than Doerue or downing? Downing reminds me of jerod void if he didn’t have running back vision
Yeh, unfortunately, not a B10 caliber athlete or RB. Wasn't he at Army or something and came to PU as a PWO? Never had much in terms of expectations.

Don’t you feel like a few of these guys look like the strength staff has been upgraded
Crazy conundrum we have..I think we have 3 centers that could play P5 D1 football…when most years we didnt have one. I still think OT and LB are positions we are woefully weak.

That said..I think there are SEC teams that would kill for our depth on the DL and in the Secondary that we have. Just hoping we get solid QB play from Card, Miller comes back and is as good as we think, we give Mock as many touches as humanly possible, the LBs look competent and the D scheme is as natural as it should be.

Crazy we lost a successful head coach but could realistically be more talented almost across the board (I’d say except WR) in one offseason than we were over his tenure.

Lots of things to be excited about this team but a lot to prove and a lot to do. Still think 6-6 is the floor. Even with a tough schedule I think 7-5 should be the expectation. Average at worst offense and a defense that surprises…kind of like in Bilemas first year with Walters at Illinois.

And yes…guys look stronger. Would love to see that proved in the trenches. Think Caraway/Scourton is our next first rounder. Dude is good. Dare I say Karlaftis good. Probably better from what I’ve seen and heard…IMO of course.

Crazy conundrum we have..I think we have 3 centers that could play P5 D1 football…when most years we didnt have one. I still think OT and LB are positions we are woefully weak.

That said..I think there are SEC teams that would kill for our depth on the DL and in the Secondary that we have. Just hoping we get solid QB play from Card, Miller comes back and is as good as we think, we give Mock as many touches as humanly possible, the LBs look competent and the D scheme is as natural as it should be.

Crazy we lost a successful head coach but could realistically be more talented almost across the board (I’d say except WR) in one offseason than we were over his tenure.

Lots of things to be excited about this team but a lot to prove and a lot to do. Still think 6-6 is the floor. Even with a tough schedule I think 7-5 should be the expectation. Average at worst offense and a defense that surprises…kind of like in Bilemas first year with Walters at Illinois.

And yes…guys look stronger. Would love to see that proved in the trenches. Think Caraway/Scourton is our next first rounder. Dude is good. Dare I say Karlaftis good. Probably better from what I’ve seen and heard…IMO of course.
I don’t think scrouton and karlaftis are the same type of player but similar talents.

As far as linebacker, you already heard Kane bring up domanick moon. When your strength and conditioning staff is very good, guys like that don’t take 4 years to hit the field… so there’s a chance that not only did OC brothers get bigger and Yanni and Clyde more explosive, but that others might contribute as well. Not to mention, against all but jumbo teams, there’s really only one linebacker. Washington may get the start next to brothers as the defense breaks the huddle against Fresno .. as a nod to being a veteran. Then after Fresno gains a first down, you may see Washington sub out for Tony Stevens.

This defense uses a nose tackle and two defensive tackles (and sometimes 3 nose tackles) to completely shut down the middle.. so it’s more important that these guys can move than that they remind you of Jawan Bentley. I’ve seen what happens as games go on. Our 3 interior linemen will just be hammering the centers and guards all game and the offensive interior starts to wear out.

The schedule is deceiving.. here’s what it has:

Michigan
Iowa

These teams have their shit together and should kick a lot of peoples asses

Ohio state
Wisconsin

These two teams have a lot of talent, but it may not take off and hence may be upset specials .. Wisconsin has no defensive line or OLB depth and they will be trying to change a lot in 3 weeks. If McCord doesn’t hit the ground running, that may be more of a 2004 Ohio state team.

Minnesota
Illinois
Nebraska
Syracuse
Virginia tech
Fresno state

Close games. This schedule has a lot of close games. We will be either small favorites or small dogs in all of these. 5 points or less

Indiana
Northwestern

Gimmes, unless Jackson just comes out and is really really good In year one.

I think we win both of these, 5 of the category above it and get an upset special between Ohio state and Wisconsin to go 8-4.

Fair?

Reactions: wallyboiler79

And I’ll give you an analysis on a close game.. because all prognosticators just seem to assume we will lose almost all of our close games because Walters and card are new and they must learn, but no one else has a ton of new stuff going on at their school…

Card must learn because he is new and Walters must learn because he’s a first time head coach .. even though I’d argue that if bielema was as good at his job as Walters was at his, Illinois would have been 10-2.

But Luke Altmyer and his 247 career yards will hit the ground running according to these prognosticators. And their calculation must also be that Ryan Walters took a defense he created and orchestrated with him to west Lafayette.. but his DB coach will show that not only did he coach DBs.. he basically learned how to run the entire defense like Walters does on day one.

Oh and this all assumes that the offense bielema runs is even conducive to a QB airing it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT