ADVERTISEMENT

why was coach in AJH facel

AJ had a lackluster game. Mishandled the ball several times down low and sat there staring at one of UM's missed shots w/o going for rebound. Painter tore into him probably to get him out of his funk.

The part I don't like is that AJH's mood never changed and he didn't improve his play after the benching. Haas did well but we didn't have a rebounding answer in this game.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Even Buddy Heild had an off game yesterday. Everyone has them the only difference is OUs fans realize it was a rare occasion and move on while Purdue fans attack AJs effort. Its not fair for him. You guys realize he did well on defense, just because his shots aren't falling doesn't mean he isn't trying.

Even Buddy Heild had an off game yesterday. Everyone has them the only difference is OUs fans realize it was a rare occasion and move on while Purdue fans attack AJs effort. Its not fair for him. You guys realize he did well on defense, just because his shots aren't falling doesn't mean he isn't trying.
I agree Boiler Fan AJ has become more vocal and is a team leader ,case in point, he got the final big rebound to seal the Michigan State game, I feel there was a lot of more players that Coach Painter should of been in their face more than AJ, in the players own words Michigan was tougher than Purdue, and players in their own words said they didn't go after loose balls and stood and watched. They will have to correct this before tourney time ,not a double elimination NCAA tourney, one bad game and you can be going home.

AJ had a lackluster game. Mishandled the ball several times down low and sat there staring at one of UM's missed shots w/o going for rebound. Painter tore into him probably to get him out of his funk.

imo AJH wasn't the problem. many others deserved the butt chewing more. AJH can't chase down every loose ball. the mighty boilers would be in serious trouble without him.

the problem might be coach's offense. maybe devise a scheme that will allow the post feed more effectively than just passing it around the 3 point arc

i like painter but his offense does not work in all situations

imo AJH wasn't the problem. many others deserved the butt chewing more. AJH can't chase down every loose ball. the mighty boilers would be in serious trouble without him.

the problem might be coach's offense. maybe devise a scheme that will allow the post feed more effectively than just passing it around the 3 point arc

My theory is that sometimes AJ gets frustrated because he works hard to get position and we seem reluctant to send the ball in to him. We have had difficulty feeding the post for almost AJ's entire career and the UM game was a great example of open looks not getting fed and waiting until coverage comes and then feeding the post. I would get frustrated also if I were AJ.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
From my perspective it looked like it was about his defense. On the Mich offensive possession right before Painter called a TO and ripped into AJ, it looked like AJ hedged too hard or not hard enough on a screen and roll. This lead to AJ getting caught in no-man's-land along with the other Purdue defender in the screen action. As a result, Irvin got to set his feet and fired a basically wide-open 3 which he buried.

I agree Boiler Fan AJ has become more vocal and is a team leader ,case in point, he got the final big rebound to seal the Michigan State game, I feel there was a lot of more players that Coach Painter should of been in their face more than AJ, in the players own words Michigan was tougher than Purdue, and players in their own words said they didn't go after loose balls and stood and watched. They will have to correct this before tourney time ,not a double elimination NCAA tourney, one bad game and you can be going home.
We keep hearing that from the players.Hell they have prove it on the court,not just keep saying it !!

I vote for Tex Winter's triangle offense

AJ got beat down the court by the Michigan center and they scored shortly before that timeout

From my perspective it looked like it was about his defense. On the Mich offensive possession right before Painter called a TO and ripped into AJ, it looked like AJ hedged too hard or not hard enough on a screen and roll. This lead to AJ getting caught in no-man's-land along with the other Purdue defender in the screen action. As a result, Irvin got to set his feet and fired a basically wide-open 3 which he buried.

Good observation by both of these posts. And after the timeout, CMP changed personnel and the method of handling the screen and roll for those inserted players.

I was surprised at AJH facial expressions for the rest of the game. He was trying but didn't display any fire or determination to succeed no matter what. The game changed right there.

AJ is AJ; been this way since a freshman. Some games he's ready to play, some not. Best hope is he's ready for the tough games and we can get through the easier ones without him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT