ADVERTISEMENT

Where does FSU go?

goboilers2

All-American
Sep 26, 2001
St Augustine
FSU is currently suing the ACC to break ranks. UF is lobbying the SEC to reject FSU's admission. That leaves the B1G and Big 12 as the remaining options.

Is FSU the prize to gaining the Florida market? Big media cities would be Tallahassee (minor), Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami.

An inside source at THEEEE university in the BIG 10, says the BIG 10 does not want to reveal their true feelings or intentions until after FSU actually breaks free of the ACC because they do not want to be part of any law suit the ACC might initiate as part of conference interference!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckJr
FSU is currently suing the ACC to break ranks. UF is lobbying the SEC to reject FSU's admission. That leaves the B1G and Big 12 as the remaining options.

Is FSU the prize to gaining the Florida market? Big media cities would be Tallahassee (minor), Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami.
As far as media, it would be the University of Miami, instead of FSU, for the BT to get for the Florida market prize.

I imagine if FSU is able to break free of the ACC without paying too much, others like Miami will follow

B1G appears in the lead here. They have been working on getting their AAU established and there is more upside for big ten to add fsu than SEC for media.

Reactions: pboiler18
B1G appears in the lead here. They have been working on getting their AAU established and there is more upside for big ten to add fsu than SEC for media.
I was thinking FSU leaves the ACC for SEC, then the ACC starts to collapse and then the BIG10 would add maybe Ga Tech and UNC

I don’t see the real interest in Georgia Tech. They have no national following. Even people in Georgia don’t follow that team! They are as popular in the south as USF and Alabama St are! If the BIG 10 network Is the driving force behind the new additions to the conference, then the conference needs to add teams with a national recognizable name like. Miami or UNC. Or Duke!

People need to realize what the driving force behind these conference expansion really is. It’s all about expanding and increasing the audience share and market, it’s no longer about geography or academics. Why did the SEC add Texas and pass on Marshall,USF, Southern Miss, and Middle Tennessee St?

It’s about the media share and ratings! The BIG 10 needs to add Duke!! Or Notre Dame or Clemson or Miami! Or maybe steal Alabama away from the SEC.

It’s becoming obvious why the BIG 10 didn’t want to add Cal or Washington st. The Atlanta market is a huge market? But it’s a huge market for Alabama and Georgia, not ga tech, ga tech is as big a draw as Marquette is for football

I don’t see the real interest in Georgia Tech. They have no national following. Even people in Georgia don’t follow that team! They are as popular in the south as USF and Alabama St are! If the BIG 10 network Is the driving force behind the new additions to the conference, then the conference needs to add teams with a national recognizable name like. Miami or UNC. Or Duke!

People need to realize what the driving force behind these conference expansion really is. It’s all about expanding and increasing the audience share and market, it’s no longer about geography or academics. Why did the SEC add Texas and pass on Marshall,USF, Southern Miss, and Middle Tennessee St?

It’s about the media share and ratings! The BIG 10 needs to add Duke!! Or Notre Dame or Clemson or Miami! Or maybe steal Alabama away from the SEC.

It’s becoming obvious why the BIG 10 didn’t want to add Cal or Washington st. The Atlanta market is a huge market? But it’s a huge market for Alabama and Georgia, not ga tech, ga tech is as big a draw as Marquette is for football
What do you think about adding Louisville?

What do you think about adding Louisville?
My original thoughts about adding teams 4 years ago was to add local teams and steal teams away from the sec and BIG 12. I was labeled as crazy for even thinking a team in the SEC would even think of leaving their conference . But looking at FSU, I still believe it’s possible of a team finding a loophole to get out of their SEC contract. My original desires were to add teams like Kansas , Kansas st and Iowa State. So Purdue could have somebody to beat in football and some competition in basketball. I also suggested the BIG 10 steal Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee from the SEC. The additions seemed logical in the type of schools and their academic programs. But people called me stupid and other names for suggesting these schools. My suggestions were not made based on media or market share! My suggestions would not improve revenue for the BIG 10 network! My suggestions were not based on increasing revenue! Boy was I stupid.

So today, rather than geography or academics, or logic, the BIG 10 added a bunch of media darlings to boost the BIG 10 ratings and national market share! USC was the perfect add! Using that philosophy, the BIG10. Should buy out Alabama and Texas from the SEC. It makes zero logical sense except to some greedy NIL oriented executive at the BIG 10 network. Fans say it would be impossible and inconceivable. But they said the exact same thing 2 years ago before the BIG 10 stole USC and UCLA and Oregon. And now FSU is using its Lawyers to get out of the ACC. If Texas A&M has enough money to buy out its coach, surely teams like Texas and Alabama or Duke have enough money to buy out of their conference agreements no matter how many years are involved. All they. Need to do is ask their NIL sponsors to buy out their conference agreements so they can join any conference they please! Just think if Alabama made themselves a free agent school! If the Dodgers have $700 million to give to a player, surely they could help a university buy out its conference agreement.

Louisville would be a good fit for the BIG 10, but I believe the conference has its sights on Adding a bigger fish to its conference like Miami or UNC. Or Duke! I still believe the BIG 10 could steal some teams from the SEC. How about if the BIG 10 stole Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M. Or the BIG 10 could steal Kentucky and Tennessee!

I know this is a stupid idea! But two years ago, if anybody suggested the BIG 10 would add USC or Oregon or the entire pac 10 conference would collapse, they’d be called crazy!

Why even bother having conferences!

My original thoughts about adding teams 4 years ago was to add local teams and steal teams away from the sec and BIG 12. I was labeled as crazy for even thinking a team in the SEC would even think of leaving their conference . But looking at FSU, I still believe it’s possible of a team finding a loophole to get out of their SEC contract. My original desires were to add teams like Kansas , Kansas st and Iowa State. So Purdue could have somebody to beat in football and some competition in basketball. I also suggested the BIG 10 steal Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee from the SEC. The additions seemed logical in the type of schools and their academic programs. But people called me stupid and other names for suggesting these schools. My suggestions were not made based on media or market share! My suggestions would not improve revenue for the BIG 10 network! My suggestions were not based on increasing revenue! Boy was I stupid.

So today, rather than geography or academics, or logic, the BIG 10 added a bunch of media darlings to boost the BIG 10 ratings and national market share! USC was the perfect add! Using that philosophy, the BIG10. Should buy out Alabama and Texas from the SEC. It makes zero logical sense except to some greedy NIL oriented executive at the BIG 10 network. Fans say it would be impossible and inconceivable. But they said the exact same thing 2 years ago before the BIG 10 stole USC and UCLA and Oregon. And now FSU is using its Lawyers to get out of the ACC. If Texas A&M has enough money to buy out its coach, surely teams like Texas and Alabama or Duke have enough money to buy out of their conference agreements no matter how many years are involved. All they. Need to do is ask their NIL sponsors to buy out their conference agreements so they can join any conference they please! Just think if Alabama made themselves a free agent school! If the Dodgers have $700 million to give to a player, surely they could help a university buy out its conference agreement.

Louisville would be a good fit for the BIG 10, but I believe the conference has its sights on Adding a bigger fish to its conference like Miami or UNC. Or Duke! I still believe the BIG 10 could steal some teams from the SEC. How about if the BIG 10 stole Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M. Or the BIG 10 could steal Kentucky and Tennessee!

I know this is a stupid idea! But two years ago, if anybody suggested the BIG 10 would add USC or Oregon or the entire pac 10 conference would collapse, they’d be called crazy!

Why even bother having conferences!
Those were ridiculous and baseless suggestions 2 years ago. You are also wrong about academics and geography. Geography is a huge part of it. No one is leaving the sec for the big ten unless they get kicked out. USC and ucla asked to join the big ten because they saw the tv contract was going to be an issue and the big ten wanted the west coast viewers. The big ten doesn’t gain much by picking up midwest teams. It will be east coast teams if we expand again. And academics is still a big part of it. Louisville doesn’t meet that. FSU started the process of joining the aau so they can join the big ten. Miami is already in the aau as is duke and UNC.

Reactions: Inspector100
Those were ridiculous and baseless suggestions 2 years ago. You are also wrong about academics and geography. Geography is a huge part of it. No one is leaving the sec for the big ten unless they get kicked out. USC and ucla asked to join the big ten because they saw the tv contract was going to be an issue and the big ten wanted the west coast viewers. The big ten doesn’t gain much by picking up midwest teams. It will be east coast teams if we expand again. And academics is still a big part of it. Louisville doesn’t meet that. FSU started the process of joining the aau so they can join the big ten. Miami is already in the aau as is duke and UNC.
Spot on. The most important thing to me about UL is their academics far and away do not qualify.

An inside source at THEEEE university in the BIG 10, says the BIG 10 does not want to reveal their true feelings or intentions until after FSU actually breaks free of the ACC because they do not want to be part of any law suit the ACC might initiate as part of conference interference!
Hate to see it. Pac 10 and acc might disappear. Buzzards will be flying if they get out. I can see b10 ending up with miami, nc, and virginia.

Other side of the coin is that espn is in a tough spot here. They got a sweet heart deal with the acc but could end up with a very bad deal. Would they be willing to renegotiate a deal to keep things together for the acc or play hard ball and see how things shake out in court.

Other side of the coin is that espn is in a tough spot here. They got a sweet heart deal with the acc but could end up with a very bad deal. Would they be willing to renegotiate a deal to keep things together for the acc or play hard ball and see how things shake out in court.
Your comment got me wondering about how much ESPN can influence this. I thought i read ESPN has the option to extend from 2027 to 2036 and if they don’t I would expect that would be a major factor in how things shake out in court. I also assume rESPN will be motivated to see the SEC benefit to how this shakes out. Probably won’t want to see any Florida schools go to the B1G. Much of what we see could be defense on ESPN and SEC to ensure we don’t plant our flag down there, meaning they may fight to keep ACC in tact without settling.

Hate to see it. Pac 10 and acc might disappear. Buzzards will be flying if they get out. I can see b10 ending up with miami, nc, and virginia.
PAC is gone but I don’t see acc going anywhere. They just added 3 members. If the floodgates open, I could see Clemson, FSU, and maybe Virginia, Duke, UNC, and/or Virginia getting out. And for the sake of argument ND but I doubt they get a ticket. That still leaves 11 teams. I could see there are two major conferences and what is left of acc is no better than mountain west. And the Big 12 will eventually drop to that level after the revenue gap widens.

PAC is gone but I don’t see acc going anywhere. They just added 3 members. If the floodgates open, I could see Clemson, FSU, and maybe Virginia, Duke, UNC, and/or Virginia getting out. And for the sake of argument ND but I doubt they get a ticket. That still leaves 11 teams. I could see there are two major conferences and what is left of acc is no better than mountain west. And the Big 12 will eventually drop to that level after the revenue gap widens.
My point was that if that happens espn won't have such a great deal as the acc just wouldn't be as valuable.

You called my ideas stupid and crazy before! If the BIG were really that interested in academics they would have added Stanford! The BIg 10 is only interested in one thing and that is money. And the only reason usc and ucla wanted to join the big 10 is also money. And the only reason fsu or Miami would want to join the big 10 is money!

I brought up some geographical choices not because of their geography or their academics but more for their potential revenue. Would a team really leave the sec for the big 10? If the money was right I have no doubt they would leave. Academics and geography are no longer a criteria. As I indicated, if they were Stanford would be in the BIG 10.

Take a look at the teams I suggested the BIG 10 pursue. I didn’t include West Virginia or ok st. I wanted Missouri, ok, Texas, Texas am. The 2 Kansas schools and Iowa state. I wanted the Big midwestern schools and also a couple Purdue could actually beat.

When I suggested steal teams from the sec, I didn’t include the academic ones like Vandy. I suggested teams like Kentucky Tennessee and Alabama! Tennessee would actually be a good addition and Kentucky would make a nice rivalry for Purdue. And adding Alabama would add money. Notice I didn’t mention Auburn or the Mississippi schools.

Admittedly the only reason Alabama would leave the sec for any other conference would be for the money. That’s also the only reason the big ten would add Alabama.

You think I’m crazy so be it. Some would say the Dodgers are crazy to give one player 70 million a year! Some would say usc joining the big 10 was crazy and the big 10 was crazy for approving them to join!

Open your mind! Look at the ncaa basketball tournament and the football bowl games. Do conferences really matter anymore? What’s more important to Purdue basketball fans? Their conference standing? Or their national ranking? If Purdue is in the final 4 would anybody here care if they won the Big 10 this year? Look at the Bowl games. What’s more important? Winning the big 10? Or winning a national championship and bowl game? What was more important to us and Iowa? Winning the west division and getting to play Michigan or getting in a nice bowl game?

It’s the same in other sports such as track, hockey, swimming etc. National standings are replacing conference standings. My son coached a champion in track last year. Nobody cared what her conference standing was.

Sadly conferences and conference importance are fading away. Who’s in the Big 12 anymore? Who cares? In basketball, your tourney seed is based more on your non conference wins than being a conference champion. What’s more important? A #1 seed or a conference championship?

This all seems very crazy! There is a reason notre dame is still an independent football team. Being in the acc added nothing to them. The only thing kee nd out of the big 10 is their nbc contract. If they didn’t have that nbc money, they’d join the big 10 in a heart beat.

Rather than conference expansion, my vision is conferences will start disappearing much like the PAC 12 and competition will become like basketball’s March madness and track and field where The prize is a national championship, not a conference one.

As for the money, look at the Dodgers and NBA teams. If they can give one player $50 mil a year, surely they could give a school that money to buy out their conference obligations

The news here says UF is strongly opposing FSU's acceptance into the SEC. I am not sure if a member has veto power.
If FOX had it their way, they would like to see B1G positioned as a college NFL league, with big brands from coast to coast. We already have NYC, LA, Chicago, DC presence. Having presence in Florida would be desirable. Though I heard many say NC and Virginia would be attractive to B1G.

If SEC quality drops, they are less attractive as they are pigeon holed into a certain region of the country.

FOX is more interested in having eyeballs from the NFL fans than your typical College football fan who yell about rivalry and pageantry.

My point was that if that happens espn won't have such a great deal as the acc just wouldn't be as valuable.
Yes. ESPN has the option to extend but right now it expires at end of 2027. If the acc loses core teams it won’t seem like a great deal anymore.

Spot on. The most important thing to me about UL is their academics far and away do not qualify.
This stopped being about academics a long time ago. We now have pros being paid to wear a logo. Some of these kids are attending 4 different schools in their college career.

Reactions: Tommaker

It’s not about geography! The only reason no sec will join the big 10 is because they receive more money playing in the SEC. If the Big10 had offered Texas and Oklahoma more money, they would have joined the BIG 10 regardless of academics or geography or talent level or teams! If the BIG 10 offered Georgia or Alabama more money And offered to pay their conference bail out fee, they’d also think seriously about leaving the SEC!

You sound so sure of yourself that no SEC team would ever leave the SEC for the BIG10. Just remove the bailout fee and offer them more money and watch the rats flee.

The BiG 10 now goes from the Atlantic to the Pacific. I’m sure there are many teams just like USC that would love to join the BIG 10 and it’s not about the opportunity to play Purdue.

Just show me the money!

This stopped being about academics a long time ago. We now have pros being paid to wear a logo. Some of these kids are attending 4 different schools in their college career.
Yeah, I'm guessing nobody at OSU (or the NCAA) is really worried about Harrison flunking out of his Walking class. You know, like they were when Reggie Germany did. :p

You are saying there was a time it was about academics?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT