ADVERTISEMENT

When your 4 best players are 4s and 5s...

slidde01

True Freshman
Oct 17, 2005
...you are bound to struggle in crunch time against talented, well coached teams. Been that way all year for us.

We have zero guards on the roster than can get their own shot. Hell we don't even have a Crump or Terone Johnson let alone a Moore, Teague, or Lowe.

It's just too easy to deny the post if a good team wants to take that away.

I was really hoping that KS would have put the work in to develop into a poor man's Reggie Miller...but alas...

Without a guard that can create this team ceiling is sweet 16 IMO.

...you are bound to struggle in crunch time against talented, well coached teams. Been that way all year for us.

We have zero guards on the roster than can get their own shot. Hell we don't even have a Crump or Terone Johnson let alone a Moore, Teague, or Lowe.

It's just too easy to deny the post if a good team wants to take that away.

I was really hoping that KS would have put the work in to develop into a poor man's Reggie Miller...but alas...

Without a guard that can create this team ceiling is sweet 16 IMO.

I don't think I'd classify Vince as a 4 (which I'm assuming you are).

The problem isn't that we don't have someone outside of our 4/5s that can do something - we do. There just hasn't been consistency. On an individual and "unit" level.

Vince has gotten to be more consistent for us, but he didn't have a good game yesterday. It's convenient for your argument to put him as a 4/5, but he's not. He's a guy who can create a shot from the perimeter.

Purdue needs Vince to be more consistent (which he's certainly capable of) and to have one or 2 other guys hit some shots. For the most part, we have had that. All of our perimeter guys have stepped up and hit some clutch shots. But our problem is more so we don't really know who that's going to be.

We certainly could use some more consistency!

Reactions: boiler62 and BBG
This is where we miss Byson Scott. Too bad it did not work out. He would have been that guard that can break down a defense and go to the rack. That is what he did while he was here. I think Carsen Edwards can be that guard we need to take the ball to the rack when needed. When teams are playing man to man, there is no way we should settling for out jumpers all the time. Vince should be taking his man off the dribbie to the rack way more often than he does.

He mad less mistakes his sophomore year, and then he played decreasing minutes trying to redeem himself which didn't work out. I'll take the bad with the good. Bryson was explosive, he could have refined it easily.

He mad less mistakes his sophomore year, and then he played decreasing minutes trying to redeem himself which didn't work out. I'll take the bad with the good. Bryson was explosive, he could have refined it easily.
I like Bryson. I liked his attitude, and his aggression. That said, Maryland would have eaten him alive. They would have stuffed his drives and shot over the top of him. Furthermore I did not see in his play, the nature to feed the post when he droive. He would make up his mind to drive and score, and would miss opportunities to pass, once in the paint area. At least that is my impression.

Please let's stop trying to find the magic bullet that would have completely made us dominate #3 Maryland. It does not exist. Not Bryson, Not Taylor, Not Stevens. Not Ronniie J. This is a team sport, and Painter will put the 5 best TEAM players on the court, who know defense, and have the right skills to score against the team we are facing.

:cool:

We will need our guards to hit shots and make plays down the stretch to beat good teams and I think you're right. Unless we start doing that, we might max out in the 2nd or 3rd game of the NCAA tournament this year.

Reactions: slidde01 and cprh9u
We had a good chance to win that game. Trimble couldn't hit anything, be it an off game or defense. We just didn't hit our shots. Our fault we let a big game get away. Let's beat MSU tomorrow and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT