ADVERTISEMENT

What was the point of Burke announcing 17 months away?

Kly

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
Does nothing positive for Purdue to announce this early. Start a private search and announce it after basketball season ends next year.

The sooner the better. Get his replacement in and he can pencil a date to fire Hazell.

At least we know now. As the famous saying goes, "knowing is half the battle". Boiler Up

What about it is negative?

Lack of continuity could hurt recruiting. No way to know whether the new AD will keep coaches or not. So that extra year of uncertainty may make potential recruits of any sport think twice about coming.

Things like this don't stay private for long so there is zero reason to try and keep it private. Plus you never know who wants to move.

What about it is negative?

17 more months on the job is the negative! 17 days would be too many! And what B1G AD announces retirement 17 months in advance, other than a self-absorbed egotist! Morgan Burke is responsible for and owns the pathetic state of PU football!

Things like this don't stay private for long so there is zero reason to try and keep it private. Plus you never know who wants to move.
So true. It was going to get out there anyway; if you're Purdue, why not control the story? And with as much as Burke has been maligned lately by fans, if Purdue stays quiet, that might perpetuate a groundswell of rumors that he's being ran out of town, etc.

He was locked in by a mandatory retirement date
You sure about that? I'm no attorney, but I suspect most employment contracts don't have a mandatory retirement date noted in them, lest the employer set itself up for an age discrimination lawsuit.

Last edited:
There is no downside to this imo. Shows Purdue will take its it to hopefully find the right replacement and.... gives everyone else ample time to celebrate ;)

For the record I like Mr. Burke.....I had the chance to meet him and talk with him for quite awhile and he is passionate for Purdue...which shows in his efforts with all sports and academics at Purdue.

I know others feel differently, but I feel he did a great job and hope the next person can come in and take it to even higher levels.

Purdue is a great University....we all know that....and I am hopeful the next AD is as passionate and takes us to an even higher level and has the passion MB does.

Boiler Up!

For the record I like Mr. Burke.....I had the chance to meet him and talk with him for quite awhile and he is passionate for Purdue...which shows in his efforts with all sports and academics at Purdue.

I know others feel differently, but I feel he did a great job and hope the next person can come in and take it to even higher levels.

Purdue is a great University....we all know that....and I am hopeful the next AD is as passionate and takes us to an even higher level and has the passion MB does.

Boiler Up!

I've spoken to MB on several occasions and found him to be friendly and appreciative of JPC donors, and no one questions his passion for Purdue. The issue is, he's done a terribly poor job of balancing the needs of the football program against those of the rest of Athletic Department, and he's done an equally bad job of being creative about improving/maintaining attendance for football and men's basketball.

Mackey should have been reseated 25 years ago, not 5 years ago. The failure to do so resulted in the loss of several generations of fans -- those who became alums in the 70s and after -- as ticketholders, because the old guard had every decent seat in Mackey locked up for 40+ years. Meanwhile, IU -- and others -- were reseating their arenas periodically, making tons of $ from doing so, and giving younger alums a chance to get their foot in the door.

Why did it take MB 25 years to figure that out?!!! And football ticket sales were managed even more poorly -- back in the days when someone actually wanted Purdue football tickets!

Reactions: nagemj02
Uh, I think recruits know our football coach is on the hot seat regardless of what happens with the AD, so announcing now does nothing for that.

I don't think basketball recruits are going to be swayed by who the AD is. Matt Painter's not going anywhere and no AD that Purdue hires is going to come in and fire Matt Painter any time soon.

So I guess I don't see what the concern is at all?

So true. It was going to get out there anyway; if you're Purdue, why not control the story? And with as much as Burke has been maligned lately by fans, if Purdue stays quiet, that might perpetuate a groundswell of rumors that he's being ran out of town, etc.

You sure about that? I'm no attorney, but I suspect most employment contracts don't have a mandatory retirement date noted in them, lest the employer set itself up for an age discrimination lawsuit.
Yes. Purdue has mandatory retirement at age 65. I believe exceptions, which are rare, have to be approved at the trustee level. And they were sued by the chancellor of IPFW over it.

Yes. Purdue has mandatory retirement at age 65. I believe exceptions, which are rare, have to be approved at the trustee level. And they were sued by the chancellor of IPFW over it.
The real question is, why is it mandatory that Purdue keeps Morgue until he is 65? What other manager of a $50+ million business gets kept around for years when it is hemorrhaging cash???

Does nothing positive for Purdue to announce this early. Start a private search and announce it after basketball season ends next year.

But at our away football games Burke is going to get honored and gifts given to him in appreciation. This wouldn't happen if they didn't know Burke was retiring.

The real question is, why is it mandatory that Purdue keeps Morgue until he is 65? What other manager of a $50+ million business gets kept around for years when it is hemorrhaging cash???

Purdue Athletics, in the past, has been a "Good Ole Boys" country club. The example is Bob deMoss. He was kept as Assistant Athletic Director after being relieved of coaching duties. The difference is that Purdue Athletics were not short revenue during those times.

The article in the Lafayette paper says the the current Athletic Director will step aside if a new director is hired before the retirement date arrives. It is good to know that so that we can kibitz about it when it doesn't happen. This is almost like the "Coach in Waiting" concept recently used for the Danny Hope hire in football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT